FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panic over Mpeg Streamclip compatibility with High Sierrra

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Panic over Mpeg Streamclip compatibility with High Sierrra
on Aug 22, 2017 at 3:28:48 pm

If I had another kid, I would name him or her "Mpeg Streamclip", I love that software so much. I might even get the Squared 5 logo tattooed on me, somewhere. Use it every day, and recommend it to many people. Now I read in a Larry Jordan blog that it won't work in High Sierra OS. What's not clear to me yet is: is only the ability to rip mpeg2 DVD's compromised, or is the entire app broken by the OS change? Will it still work for other file conversions and playback of files? And what can we expect with H.265 compatibility? Will Squared 5 create a new, compatible version?

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
Re: Panic over Mpeg Streamclip compatibility with High Sierrra
on Aug 22, 2017 at 6:33:37 pm

Out of curiosity, what do you use it for?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 22, 2017 at 6:58:32 pm

Mostly fast and easy file format conversions that are compatible with our clients' older, PC-based media viewing software, and to convert incoming, client-supplied non-standard media to an editable format. Though we do also do the occasional DVD rip from old shows we've made. It's kind of a Swiss Army Knife around here. And I often recommend it to clients with no budget as a superior playback software than their old Windows Media Player, along with VLC and FlvCrunch.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 22, 2017 at 7:07:32 pm

My guess is that MPEG StreamClip uses legacy Quicktime Frameworks and not AVFoundation and that's the reason it's not compatible with High Sierra. Development of StreamClip stoped around 2012 with beta 1.9.3. Release 1.9.2 was in 2008.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 22, 2017 at 7:18:50 pm

I'm gonna miss it like I miss my dad's '68 Mustang. Any suggestions on replacements? The client base is locked into seven-year-old Windows Media Player, and for reasons I can't get into here, getting the client side to modernize isn't on the table, so I need to be able to make files they can view in high quality, with minimal bandwidth, and no IT support. Streamclip was my go-to for this, making MP4's that worked well for the clients. For some reason, MP4's rendered from FCPX always wound up with playability issues on their platforms.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 22, 2017 at 8:16:44 pm

How about Handbrake?
For compatibility you may need to use Baseline Profile. I believe some point during the use of Windows Media Player 7, it became H.264 .mp4 compatible.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 22, 2017 at 10:13:17 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Aug 22, 2017 at 10:17:59 pm

Other options, but not free, would be Sorenson Squeeze or Adobe Media Encoder. That latter is my default for H.264 .MP4 files and they are rock solid. Telestream Switch is a good player and the more expensive version will do transcodes, but not in batches.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 23, 2017 at 12:04:41 am

Apple Compressor costs all of $50.
I love Telestream Switch but mostly using it for QC work.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 23, 2017 at 8:34:51 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Aug 24, 2017 at 12:59:28 am

I use Handbrake much the same way you appear to have used Streamclip.

But this big transition away from 32-bit apps is going to be a big thing going forward.

Without it, the industry is artificially held back.

Hopefully, there are new kids out there that will fill the shoes of those who created Streamclip, Handbrake, et al - for a new, more modern era of video processing.

So - if you have parental custody of one of the pre-teens out there hacking away in Swift or the like - keep them focused! This industry is going to NEED them before we know it!

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]