Apple making TV - how much FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Apple making TV - how much FCPX
on Aug 20, 2017 at 9:54:09 pm

Interesting post by Alex here:

http://alex4d.com/notes/item/apple-1bn-making-tv-how-much-on-fcpx-post

My own take is that Apple can't really push FCPX to these producers without true workflow collaboration like there is with Media Composer.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Apple making TV - how much FCPX
on Aug 20, 2017 at 10:50:08 pm

I don't think they care what is used for these original programs. They will make way more money on the consumer side than what they would make on the editing systems including Mac based systems. I have always thought that their interest in editing tool set started waning with the introduction of iTunes music, film, and television show sales/rentals.

Let's assume 100 titles series ($10M each)
6 editing stations each
6 FCPX

Now a yearly revenue depending on the percentage of AppleTV owners subscribing:

100% = $2.8B
50% = $1.4B
25% = $700M

Michael

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Aug 21, 2017 at 12:33:34 am

[Michael Phillips] "I have always thought that their interest in editing tool set started waning with the introduction of iTunes music, film, and television show sales/rentals."Probably when they started making billions on the iPhone. I have invested a lot of time in learning to edit in X, so I hope they keep supporting it. On the other hand, I can't imagine them requiring production teams to use it.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 21, 2017 at 12:53:52 am

[Claude Lyneis] "On the other hand, I can't imagine them requiring production teams to use it."

I think the premise is based on Netflix mandating production parameters for 4K work, which has excluded some popular cameras, like the Alexa. OTOH, Sony Pictures doesn't have an edict that its films be shot with an F65 or F55.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 21, 2017 at 1:04:27 am

When I look at Netflix, it is full of content shot on Alexa and other non prescribed cameras. They may push for their original content to use 4k+ cameras but they certainly do acquisition of content not shot to their new 4k spec.

I'm going to watch Mad Max Fury Rd which was shot Alexa, Canon 5D and whatever else they thought was useful in getting angles and sacrificial camera shots. I seriously doubt Netflix would stand up to some credentialed directors and DPs and force their new 4k+ standards on their own productions.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 21, 2017 at 1:10:25 am

Netflix licenses content of all resolutions. For Netflix originals, they have a pretty strict 4K deliverables requirement.
Also, whether the content is posted using FCPx, Premiere Pro, Media Composer, Resolve, Lightworks, whatever does not matter as long as it's a good show and the deliverables are met.

Michael

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Aug 20, 2017 at 11:02:23 pm

Will the first show be a documentary about the US Festival : )

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Aug 21, 2017 at 4:25:02 am

So far the 2 shows they've done have been cut on Avid. Planet f the apps and Carpool Kareoke.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 21, 2017 at 6:35:43 am

From the article:
"There are two things Apple can do here: firstly, they need to improve their products to make them more suited for high-end production. Secondly, they could invest in the education aspects of the post ecosystem."

Normally I'd expect hellfire and brimstone to rain down in here for a statement like that, but since it's from Alex I doubt it will happen.

Overall I agree with his position that if Apple wants to bring to bear the same talent that works on originals for Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc.,. then they can't stipulate what NLE is used. Dollars to donuts it will be Avid, and then someone will give a Nelson-like "Ha-ha" because an Apple show wasn't cut on Apples NLE, a flame war will ensue and the other 99.99999% of the people that saw the show will only care if they liked it or not.

So far all their original programing has been self serving (Planet of the Apps, Carpool Karaoke and the semi-biographical drama about Dr. Dre) which is I think a bigger issue than what NLE they use. I'm also curious as to how Apple will handle this new level of editorial control they have in terms of their image. Much like Disney, Apple has carefully curated and protected its image so is that going to filter into their programing decisions as well? The Dr Dre show is supposed to be pretty R-rated, but who knows if it actually will be. Also, given Apple's progressive political leanings will they feel pressure from some parts of their user base to release shows that echo that sentiment? And if they do will they risk alienating other parts of their user base that feel like Apple is preaching?

Unlike Netflix, Amazon, etc., Apple's customers many times are buying into the lifestyle/cult of the brand as much as they are buying a product.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 21, 2017 at 1:04:18 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "So far all their original programing has been self serving"

I think that brings up a good point. Apple won't be the only one, because a number of corporations are looking to develop branded entertainment content destined for Apple TV, Roku, etc. as well as various web platforms. I'm working with a prod co doing that right now and there certainly is no lesser need for advanced workflows and quality levels. However, product placement becomes even more important than in standard broadcast shows. And you get back some interesting exec notes on rough cuts, although not necessarily more unusual than from actual TV execs.

FWIW - inside Apple itself (not just acquired subsidiaries) they use just about everything there is in the post world. In fact, one creative director (who was formerly an Apple CD) I've worked with, was specifically hired at Apple at that time, because of his skills as a Flame operator.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]