FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fusion 9 Review by Damian Allen

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Ubsdell
Fusion 9 Review by Damian Allen
on Aug 9, 2017 at 10:54:31 am

https://www.provideocoalition.com/fusion-9-depth-review/

A good review of the main new features (overall very positive) with what I think is a sensible conclusion as to Fusion's current position vs Nuke:

Is Fusion now poised to take Nuke’s market share?

Probably not; well certainly not any time soon. Studios invest a lot of money in the pipeline glue code that sits between Nuke and their other apps, not to mention their employees and the freelance talent pool. As cheap and competent as Fusion is, the cost of the software is just a fractional cost in the big studio equation.

However, to me Fusion is the no-brainer choice for the individual and boutique. How can you justify spending $USD8,000+ for a license of NukeX, then another $USD1,500 a year to keep your software current when Fusion Studio will set you back just $299 with (so far at least) free updates? I would argue that your average creative cannot. And those After Effects houses who have been eyeing node-based compositing as the alien but technologically advanced neighboring planet now have a justification to colonize it.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
Re: Fusion 9 Review by Damian Allen
on Aug 9, 2017 at 5:35:46 pm

Thanks for sharing Simon, this review certainly turns up the excitement level for me personally. While I like what I've seen from tutorials on the 3D camera tracker, Fusion's tool probably won't be replacing Syntheyes for me anytime soon. However, I do find this quite intriguing:

"One thing that Fusion has that Nuke does not: an interactive connection with the DaVinci Resolve timeline. That effectively turns Fusion into a Smoke, and that with some of the best color grading tools in the industry."

I've been using Resolve to debayer and grade raw footage for a few years now, but lately, I've been finding myself using it for review and basic editing tasks as well. Performance has gotten so much better in fact, that I don't even think about cutting 3:1 and 4:1 compressed 4k cDNG sequences anymore, it just works. Now, I'm anxious to see if I can work in a similar way as I'm used to working in Adobe applications; aquire>edit>track>animate>paint>composite>grade>output. I'm not looking to displace Adobe tools necessarily... but it will be VERY interesting for me to see if I can get through a complete project without touching an Adobe application. I'm going to try. ☺

Shawn

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Aug 9, 2017 at 7:06:26 pm

[Shawn Miller] "it will be VERY interesting for me to see if I can get through a complete project without touching an Adobe application. I'm going to try."

Please let us know how you get on.

I for one would be very interested to hear how it goes.

Fusion Connect is such an apparently "simple" concept (though no doubt not remotely so from a developer's point of view!) that it's easy to overlook how powerful it can be. The more we see Fusion mature, the more important this link in the chain is going to become.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 11, 2017 at 3:25:21 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Fusion Connect is such an apparently "simple" concept (though no doubt not remotely so from a developer's point of view!) that it's easy to overlook how powerful it can be. The more we see Fusion mature, the more important this link in the chain is going to become."

Fusion Connect doesn't have to connect only to Fusion:

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Aug 11, 2017 at 4:41:48 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Aug 11, 2017 at 4:45:09 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Fusion Connect doesn't have to connect only to Fusion:"

That's fun!!

As I say, the Fusion Connect mechanics are beautifully simple, making this kind of workaround very easy to do.

For more on Fusion Connect, I have an intro tutorial here:

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Aug 11, 2017 at 5:15:35 pm

This is really cool! Do you (or anyone) know if Fusion Connect also works with graphics?

Shawn

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Aug 11, 2017 at 6:36:49 pm

[Shawn Miller] "Do you (or anyone) know if Fusion Connect also works with graphics?"

What do you mean by that?

The thing about Fusion Connect is that you are rendering media rather than doing any kind of live "dynamic" linking, although Andrew Devis showed a cunning if cumbersome way of doing a kind of live linking.

That means that any type of project is going to work just as well ...

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Aug 11, 2017 at 6:53:39 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "[Shawn Miller] "Do you (or anyone) know if Fusion Connect also works with graphics?"

What do you mean by that?

The thing about Fusion Connect is that you are rendering media rather than doing any kind of live "dynamic" linking, although Andrew Devis showed a cunning if cumbersome way of doing a kind of live linking.

That means that any type of project is going to work just as well ..."

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear - Does Fusion Connect only output video clips for Fusion, or can it also render out single image files like .DPX or .TIFF files? I do this a lot, send stills out from the PPro timeline to AE for effects, animation or whatnot.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Aug 11, 2017 at 7:12:10 pm

[Shawn Miller] "I'm sorry, I should have been more clear - Does Fusion Connect only output video clips for Fusion, or can it also render out single image files like .DPX or .TIFF files"

Ah, OK. Got you.

Yes, Fusion and Fusion Connect work with image sequences very well.

In fact, I prefer to use image sequences (my preference is for OpenEXR) wherever possible since you can re-render just a section of a complicated composition rather than the whole thing.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Aug 11, 2017 at 8:02:47 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "[Shawn Miller] "I'm sorry, I should have been more clear - Does Fusion Connect only output video clips for Fusion, or can it also render out single image files like .DPX or .TIFF files"

Ah, OK. Got you.

Yes, Fusion and Fusion Connect work with image sequences very well.

In fact, I prefer to use image sequences (my preference is for OpenEXR) wherever possible since you can re-render just a section of a complicated composition rather than the whole thing."

Good to know, thanks Simon! I have to wait until September to get Fusion Studio, but I'm really looking forward to diving into the Resolve/Fusion workflow.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Aug 11, 2017 at 9:08:15 pm

[Shawn Miller] " I have to wait until September to get Fusion Studio, but I'm really looking forward to diving into the Resolve/Fusion workflow."

I think you're going to like it a lot.

I've been working with the new planar tracker and camera tracker these last few days and I'm very impressed with how well they are both implemented. As others have pointed out, they are incredibly solid for a "first version".

This to me is something that BMD seem to manage really well - there's very little if any of the "roughness" that you get with so many new features from other developers. Of course, anyone who has ever used Resolve will know that their tracking pedigree is world class, but even so this is a very impressive release. Needless to say, at this point you're still going to get more out of dedicated solutions like Mocha Pro and Syntheyes and PFTrack and so on, but I think it's fair to say that at the new price Fusion Studio is easily worth it for the trackers alone.

And of course, the Studio price unlocks a lot of extra functionality, like the powerful optical flow options and the full range of Primatte features, as well as the rich collaborative features which make it an increasingly attractive option for VFX facilities.

But I think the way it all now stacks up the Studio offering is pretty much a must-have for anyone with even the most modest VFX requirements.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Aug 11, 2017 at 11:14:21 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "But I think the way it all now stacks up the Studio offering is pretty much a must-have for anyone with even the most modest VFX requirements."

Absolutely! It's definitely a no-brainer.

Shawn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]