FORUMS: list search recent posts

So that whole VR thing ... how's that coming along?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Ubsdell
So that whole VR thing ... how's that coming along?
on Aug 5, 2017 at 1:24:00 pm

"Other takeaways from Siggraph

A few other observations from Siggraph: the film & video VR bubble, as predicted by many writers here, has burst. I found even the most avid evangelists from last year’s show were willing to concede to me that narrative storytelling in VR at a Hollywood level lacks a financial model. Most of the VR technology vendors are focused on VR and AR as a gaming platform or for industrial applications (arch viz, mechanical repairs etc.)"

https://www.provideocoalition.com/siggraph-2017-beginning-end-assistant-edi...

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: So that whole VR thing ... how's that coming along?
on Aug 5, 2017 at 6:32:51 pm

Thanks for posting the article. The technological advancements that sometimes appear to be game changers in our industry , i.e., 3D, 360, VR, etc are usually non-starters. Personally I think these things haven't fully taken hold because they interfere with our suspension of disbelief while viewing. 360 video seems to be the largest violator in that it requires a viewer to actively move through the imagery.

The one sad thing is the potential phasing out of assistant editors. Apprenticeship remains a great way to learn editing and other production skills but perhaps other avenues for learning the craft will emerge.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

andy patterson
Re: So that whole VR thing ... how's that coming along?
on Aug 5, 2017 at 8:00:50 pm

I don't think movies and TV shows will benefit or make much use of VR/AR/360 (as of now) but education and training projects probably will. I think we may someday go beyond 360% cameras and make use of true holograms. Instead of a 50" LCD you will have something similar to 200 gallon fish aquarium displaying true holograms. Will it happen in my lifetime? Who knows? Will BMD be the first to provide the hardware (Cameras) and software (Halo Edit 1.2)? Who knows? One thing we do know is that Halo Edit 1.2 will not be as amazing, innovative and revolutionary as FCPX : )

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]