FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fusion 9 leak, VR and price drop

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Kimery
Fusion 9 leak, VR and price drop
on Aug 1, 2017 at 3:46:50 pm

Post Magazine apparently ran a story about Fusion 9 too soon. It gets a new, comprehensive VR toolset (I know how much everyone here loves VR) and a price drop to $299 to match Resolve.

Page is gone now, but here is a link to the cached version.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:DKtyNnFjCGkJ:http://ww...

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Fusion 9 leak, VR and price drop
on Aug 1, 2017 at 5:10:37 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Aug 1, 2017 at 5:15:21 pm

Not just that, but planar AND camera tracking, if that leak is to be believed.

AND a whole new keyer built on Ultimatte.

Now that will be some update if it's all true.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Aug 1, 2017 at 5:30:36 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Not just that, but planar AND camera tracking, if that leak is to be believed."

Okay... now THAT should be the headline. If the camera tracker is built on the same technology as the point cloud tracker in Resolve 14, I want BMD to take my money now!

Shawn

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Aug 1, 2017 at 5:34:17 pm

[Shawn Miller] "I want BMD to take my money now!"

It's pretty insane, if true. And as you say, if they can get the kind of "automagical" results you get from the Resolve tracker, then it's going to be a game changer.

But let's not underestimate how major the Ultimatte thing is likely to be - I think that has the potential to be massive as well.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 1, 2017 at 5:48:10 pm

It's official https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion/

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 3, 2017 at 7:29:37 pm

Yeah yeah, I'm late, but just to be official, here's my posting:

Blackmagic Design Announces Fusion 9 with VR

Some thoughts from downthread just because:

1) No way BMD does a graphics program. None. Grant Petty has striking with the clarity of his vision: solving BIG problems. Problems that affect the industry in the most sweeping manner possible, and that affect people's lives, both for technology and even more important, access to technology.

There are a gajillion crazy-ass cheap, crazy-ass powerful graphics solutions out there, and they all work just fine with Blackmagic products. Heck, even Photoshop is an insane amount of bang for the buck, but there is literally not one single problem to be solved with world-changing graphics power, and the access thereto. We're already there.

It might be different if the guys at Affinity were like the guys at DaVinci, out of money and out of time, but that's not the case. They're doing great. The companies who have run out of steam along the way (eg, Painter, and I say Corel, although you may not) really kinda needed to. You don't get to survive just because you want to. But the great stuff is great, it's doing fine, it's alllllll accessible....and as Michael Gissing points out, most people's print needs are getting met by exporting frames and converting to CMYK in Pshop or similar.

Look, the key to BMD's utopian vision -- and make no mistake, this is a utopian strategy, not a capitalist one (although who knows, maybe I'm the one that's mistaken) -- is that Grant gets to charge next to nuthin' for his core products because he's not wasting money chasing niches. In that sense, his strategy is in a way the mirror image of conservative. Almost an ideology, I think. Is it big? Then let's do it. Is it small? Let somebody else do it.

Take this to the bank.

Or, laugh at me later when I'm wrong again. But I don't think I am.

But then I never do, until I am. 😂

2) I wouldn't call this an ideology, but Simon makes an observation that's likely pretty dang close to a mission statement:

We were all quite rightly absolutely awestruck by Resolve 14 and the Fairlight integration, but I think it's fair to say that this Fusion release is potentially significantly more awesome.

Jobs used the phrase "insanely great." He wanted jaws to drop. And as Simon also rightly observes just a couple of sentences later:

Nobody, but nobody, is changing the game at anything even remotely approaching that pace that BMD have now achieved.

And that includes Apple at its Jobsiest. The fact is that Steve was easily distracted, and went chasing niches to plug -- people talk about Apple chasing Avid, but it never happened. It was always Adobe. Steve wanted to license Premiere, but when he couldn't, he went after the guy who invented it. Adobe has compositing, Apple buys Motion and Shake. Adobe adds DVD, Apple buys Spruce. etc etc etc.

(btw, I was at Avid while this was happening, and I was the Senior Product Marketing Manager for Avid's attempt to ALSO address Adobe, known as Avid Xpress Studio -- and I'm tellin' ya, there was virtually no thought of chasing Apple, because nobody chases the company who's not in front. It was ALWAYS Adobe, imo. And yes, that's my opinion, but that's also how I personally played it.

--- Digression within a digression: how's THIS for clarity of vision? Look at how many people were adamant that Adobe was doomed by a subscription-only model who are now completely out of this industry. Gone. Whereas if they'd simply invested their life savings in Adobe stock on the day of the announcement they could have retired gazillionaires a few years later. Although who knows? Maybe that's where they all went. ---

Returning to my digression already in progress....

I'll also note that Avid started being a little more explicit about chasing Adobe a year ahead of Apple. It was only after I taunted Apple on the road for a year with the phrase "Avid Xpress Studio is the most complete Suite" -- often to their face as we went from user group to user group around the world, sometimes in the same meetings, presenting back to back -- to describe the combination of Avid, Pro Tools, Softimage, and dedicated video and audio hardware that Apple dropped the name Final Cut Suite, and and came right back at us with the name Final Cut Studio to counter the year-old Avid Xpress Studio.

Apple literally unveiled the sign right as NAB opened that year, directly across the aisle from Avid's booth and facing straight into it. In fact, Avid's booth was quite literally the only place on the floor from which you could read that banner. Well played, my friends. 😂

And I do mean friends. Indeed, I spent NAB 2003 working full time in Apple's booth at NAB. It's a small industry, and sometimes friends trade a little paint on the turns And hey, I'm friends with everyone now. What a great time to be in this business!)

But I digress. 😎

My point is that there's literally nothing that could happen with Affinity or Corel, or even somehow swiping Photoshop, or whatever other scenario you care to name, that would be BIG for what Blackmagic is doing with video, film, and audio. There are no big things to do with still images. Anything further along those lines than is already there is a distraction, moving in exactly the opposite direction that the rest of Blackmagic is going, and the one thing we've yet to see is Blackmagic distracted or moving in the opposite direction of itself.

Not that this was necessarily clear in 2009, mind you. We ran a lengthy interview with Grant on the DaVinci acquisition that was 40 minutes of "wtf....no seriously, wtf" until it became clear to all of us....until we asked it again with the camera and Teranex in 2012....and Grant wrapped it up nicely. The two things you need for better video output are better acquisition and better processing. Fairlight completes it today with a sound toolset designed for motion picture and video, rather than music. He's touching on distribution with broadcast and the web now, but that's it in a nutshell. Pictures in motion.

My goodness, this is fun.

Oh wait, I just looked up the title of the actual interview that Ronald Lindeboom and I did with Grant Petty about DaVinci, cameras, Teranex, et al in 2012, which was a pull quote: "We Want To Blow People's Minds"

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 4, 2017 at 12:43:54 am

Spot on Tim. It's amazing how a company grants (see what I did there) a wish to so many of us with an amazing upgrade to Resolve and Fusion and the first thing people jump to is why don't BM make a still/graphic program.

I've just finished an article for Audio Technology mag on the Fairlight integration after interviewing the Fairlight/Blackmagic team. They are a focused tight group. I didn't get a tip off about Fusion even though it was nearly ready to drop. But I did get the absolute message that they are about changing the face of collaboration workflows as well as democratising production and post. Eyes are firmly on the ball at BM.

That said they will probably do something amazing by recognising another big hole in established workflows.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 4, 2017 at 7:56:32 am

[Michael Gissing] "first thing people jump to is why don't BM make a still/graphic program.
"

Well one person did :)

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Aug 1, 2017 at 5:54:58 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "[Shawn Miller] "I want BMD to take my money now!"

It's pretty insane, if true. And as you say, if they can get the kind of "automagical" results you get from the Resolve tracker, then it's going to be a game changer.

But let's not underestimate how major the Ultimatte thing is likely to be - I think that has the potential to be massive as well."

Absolutely! I just completed an interview in which I used the tracker pretty extensively, so it's top of mind. I'm equally excited about Ultimatte though, it would just be foolish to not have these tools in the toolset.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Aug 1, 2017 at 7:15:05 pm

[Shawn Miller] " it would just be foolish to not have these tools in the toolset.
"

It's clearly worth the price just for the tracking options alone, but with Ultimatte on top of that it's a must-have.

There's a lot of talk about what makes us excited about new software, and for me this is as good as it gets, without question.

BMD are on an unstoppable roll!

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Aug 2, 2017 at 7:21:12 pm

So my initial sense is that this is a massive release with very considerable consequences for the VFX community.

I haven't yet been able to look at the Studio version, but a few things really stand out in terms of what's now on offer.

The all-new Studio Player seems to be offering very significant realtime performance on a scale we haven't seen before and this on its own looks to be huge.

The planar and camera tracking functionality, including planar transforms of roto, are going to make a massive difference and on their own make the new price for Studio ludicrously good value.

The whole VR thing has absolutely no interest for me and never will, but I can see why they need to do it. I suspect that VR will be a dodo in less than a few years, but that's another story.

As someone who has spent a lot of time working on keyer technology, I have to confess I am seriously underwhelmed by the new Delta Keyer option. I think this is the weakest part of the offering, but then again it's always good to have multiple keyer offerings and Fusion now has a very impressive line-up.

From a marketing point of view, I think it's good sense to hive off the tracking and Studio Player options from the free offering - I don't think there was enough of a penalty before it you chose the free option. That said, the new price point is absurdly low and makes adding multiple seats a very attractive option.

Is this the tipping point that will start to see a move away from the increasingly over-priced dominance of Nuke?

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Aug 2, 2017 at 9:04:05 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "The planar and camera tracking functionality, including planar transforms of roto, are going to make a massive difference and on their own make the new price for Studio ludicrously good value."

This is nearly an understatement! The Mocha plugin alone is more expensive than Fusion Studio, add a camera tracker and you're looking at (minimum) another $300 US. I'm really looking forward to trying these features myself. ☺

Shawn

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Aug 2, 2017 at 9:14:31 pm

[Shawn Miller] "This is nearly an understatement! The Mocha plugin alone is more expensive than Fusion Studio, add a camera tracker and you're looking at (minimum) another $300 US. I'm really looking forward to trying these features myself. ☺"

Haha! Everything you can say about this development is an understatement, I think.

We were all quite rightly absolutely awestruck by Resolve 14 and the Fairlight integration, but I think it's fair to say that this Fusion release is potentially significantly more awesome.

And that's just the first half of 2017, folks!

Nobody, but nobody, is changing the game at anything even remotely approaching that pace that BMD have now achieved.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Aug 2, 2017 at 9:19:46 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Nobody, but nobody, is changing the game at anything even remotely approaching that pace that BMD have now achieved."

Agreed!

Shawn

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Aug 1, 2017 at 5:44:08 pm

I am thinking BMD will have photo/graphics program one of these days.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 1, 2017 at 6:09:45 pm

[andy patterson] "I am thinking BMD will have photo/graphics program one of these days."

Who do you think they will buy? Pixelmator or Affinity?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 1, 2017 at 11:48:45 pm

[andy patterson] "I am thinking BMD will have photo/graphics program one of these days."

For me they already do. I no longer shoot stills but 4:1 raw DNG on my Ursa Mini 4.6. On a recent shoot for publicity stills for a performer I shot 60fps and we extracted tiffs in Resolve. So all grading etc was done in Resolve for a stills shoot. If Resolve and fusion support the various stills raw formats, then I see no need for BM to add a stills program. Its already got the tools in Resolve.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Aug 2, 2017 at 7:16:05 am

[Michael Gissing] "Its already got the tools in Resolve."

I will admit most people in the Cow would probably only use it to enhance their videos. I would like it to able to be used for print as well. Things like convert RGB to CMYK, adjust the pixels per square inch, use inches instead of pixels and much more).

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 2, 2017 at 12:32:27 pm

[andy patterson] "Things like convert RGB to CMYK, adjust the pixels per square inch, use inches instead of pixels and much more)."

Once you have graded and processed, you can probably find any number of open source programs like GIMP to do those conversions from a 16 bit TIFF out of Resolve or Fusion for printing. I can't see BM feeling the need for a new program just to do the extra tasks you might want above an beyond the image processing that Fusion and Resolve currently do. That said who knows with BM. I can't see a fit with their stated aim of being a cinema, broadcast focused company.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Aug 2, 2017 at 6:56:51 pm

[Michael Gissing] "Once you have graded and processed, you can probably find any number of open source programs like GIMP to do those conversions from a 16 bit TIFF out of Resolve or Fusion for printing."

A TIFF is not the same as the original file. I also don't think the BMD software uses vector based drawing tools but perhaps they do.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Aug 2, 2017 at 7:18:12 am

[Andrew Kimery] "Who do you think they will buy? Pixelmator or Affinity?"

What about Corel's Pianter and PaintShop Pro?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Aug 1, 2017 at 7:53:22 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "I know how much everyone here loves VR"

VR is dope and we have a bunch of VR projects going on. That said 360 videos aren't VR and it drives me up the wall when people keep saying VR when they mean 360 videos.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 1, 2017 at 11:11:16 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "VR is dope and we have a bunch of VR projects going on. That said 360 videos aren't VR and it drives me up the wall when people keep saying VR when they mean 360 videos."

I've very guilty of using the two interchangeably even though I know they are different.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Aug 2, 2017 at 7:46:06 am

[Andrew Kimery] "I've very guilty of using the two interchangeably even though I know they are different."

The worst thing that customers get bamboozled. We got a really cool script that was supposed to be a VR project but it had a lot of actual actors and IRL situations in it. They were really surprised when we told them that you can't just shoot a 360 video and make it an interactive 3D scene.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]