FORUMS: list search recent posts

Here is my newest computer system. Did I make the right choice?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andy patterson
Here is my newest computer system. Did I make the right choice?
on Jul 30, 2017 at 7:49:28 pm

I recently bought a Mac Mini. I think they look stylish but are also a bit pricey. I think it is the best bang for the buck for any PC user wanting to test out an Apple Computer. I think my review and comments are fair but feel free to leave comments. I wanted the video to be as short as possible. I will make a few follow up videos soon.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Here is my newest computer system. Did I make the right choice?
on Jul 30, 2017 at 10:11:31 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Jul 30, 2017 at 10:14:15 pm

I'd agree the Mac Mini does represent the general macOS/Apple computing experience at an affordable price and for certain tasks is a great option. But in terms of modern performance specs optimized for Final Cut Pro X, a 2017 MacBook Pro or iMac would be more representative choices. Also, consider:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/9/13/12910568/mac-pro-update-w...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jul 31, 2017 at 6:21:03 pm

I just needed to get to know how to use the OS since I no longer have access to a Mac. I added my main OS drive to the dock. I have my Mac Mini connected to a TV and have the audio coming out from there. So far so good. I was able to tether my phone as modem using PDANET. After that I download FCPX . The very first time I tried to use FCPX it kept crashing/locking up. I was getting pissed to say the least. I did finally get it working OK. I have used FCPX in the past and never had it lock up like this. Rebooting did not work either. I just tried dragging different video clips into the default event folder and another event folder I created and the spinning beach-ball would not stop. I held the power switch and when the Mac Mini rebooted FCPX launched it's self. It did this several times. The beach-ball would spin every time. I was able to real quick delete the second event library just before the beach ball started spinning and things were OK after that. I can only think it was because it was the first time I launched FCPX that it had this problems. The color board is not the best but it does work. It is different but not that hard to use in my opinion. Having said that I think the GUI is the biggest pitfall of FCPX. It is better but still could use more customization. I will have more videos in about two weeks.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 31, 2017 at 9:05:54 pm

Just bear in mind FCPX isn't really meant to be used on a Mac Mini :)

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 1, 2017 at 12:07:03 am

I use an old one for my low budget DIT station.

For the big productions, it lies in a case waiting for its next prey :)

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Aug 1, 2017 at 12:20:48 am

[Steve Connor] "Just bear in mind FCPX isn't really meant to be used on a Mac Mini :)"

I'm hip. It is working OK for editing single layer video clips at 1920 X 1080 with minor CC. I don't plan on using it for 4K.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]