FORUMS: list search recent posts

High Sierra and DVDs

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
High Sierra and DVDs
on Jul 26, 2017 at 1:21:01 pm

For those who still need to burn DVDs for clients - what are everyone's plans for making DVDs after High Sierra hits? As I understand, no 32-bit apps will run under High Sierra, so that counts out DVD Studio Pro and I would presume Encore. Ideas?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jason Watson
Re: High Sierra and DVDs
on Jul 26, 2017 at 3:09:21 pm

I thought High Sierra was going to be the last version to support 32-bit apps "without compromise"? https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/06/apple-to-phase-out-32-bit-mac-apps/

Have they revised that?

Return to posts index

Jason Watson
on Jul 26, 2017 at 3:16:33 pm

If I remember correctly, all the CS6 apps were 64-bit, so Encore at least should probably still work.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 26, 2017 at 4:36:03 pm

I think you're right. According to what I read, HS still supports 32-but, but after January Apple won't accept any more 32-bit updates.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Jul 26, 2017 at 4:51:37 pm

Awhile back, I authored a DVD with DVDSP under Yosemite. I got all the way thru the process, but then the app failed while compiling ... so I moved everything over to my iMac running Snow Leopard, FCStudio 7.0.3 etc where everything still works.

So that is my plan: do DVDSP projects on the legacy hardware.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jul 26, 2017 at 5:07:47 pm

I've authored a few DVDs in El Cap w/o a problem, but when the end comes I'll just keep an older boot drive around. Easy enough to keep multiple ones in a cMP.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 26, 2017 at 8:04:53 pm

Build and format to "Hard Drive" and then burn the folders, or create an img and burn the img, from Finder.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 27, 2017 at 1:24:35 am

Also dual booting is a fine solution for legacy necessities.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 27, 2017 at 3:02:46 am

I'm at the point of no longer offering DVD, bluray etc. I also don't try DCP anymore. What a can of worms thanks to utterly hopeless cinema tech compliance and support. I make master files that other facilities can make those deliverables. I do a Youtube/ Vimeo spec file as well.

I've just pulled the MacPro out of the rack & patching. I have CS6 Encore still on a PC that is accessible but no intention of making disks anymore. I'm sure if there is sufficient demand that 64 bit software for authoring will be available. This is one case where Apple have not forced a format depreciation before time.

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Jul 27, 2017 at 6:00:41 pm

And Encore is 64bit.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved