FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple and VR (or how I learned to stop worrying about Motion and love After Effects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Kimery
Apple and VR (or how I learned to stop worrying about Motion and love After Effects
on Jul 18, 2017 at 4:42:46 am

In a recent threads some users have lamented Adobe making VR tools and hoped Apple would skip over this market segment, but by bringing in Tim Dashwood (of 360VR Toolbox fame) and announcing at WWDC that their new hardware will be powerful to support VR I think it's inevitable that Apple will follow others down this road. Alex Gollner even noticed some more VR-centric job postings recently put up by Apple.

Over at Alex4D's blog
http://alex4d.com/notes/item/vr-jobs-at-apple-july-2017

Oh, yeah... so where is the "Debate" part of this? Check out the job posting for the Creative Technologist. 😉 For those not wanting to click the link, job requirements include "Experience with Adobe Creative Suite" and " Motion graphics and 3D software (AfterEffects, Maya) skills", but no mention of any first party Apple software.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
Re: Apple and VR (or how I learned to stop worrying about Motion and love After Effects
on Jul 18, 2017 at 4:56:24 am

I think VR is more than just a fad. I think for demonstration videos it might ad an extra element. Movie theaters and TV shows probably will not implement the technology but the DVD releases might. Having said that I think we may see holograms become a reality in another 10 years.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Apple and VR (or how I learned to stop worrying about Motion and love After Effects
on Jul 18, 2017 at 3:47:20 pm

VR is a big shot in the arm for old roller-coaster rides, which now suddenly can become virtual space dogfights, Indiana Jones mine car chases, a Fantastic Voyage thru the circularity system... all on the same day, different experience each ride.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jul 18, 2017 at 4:38:12 pm

[Mark Suszko] "VR is a big shot in the arm for old roller-coaster rides, which now suddenly can become virtual space dogfights, Indiana Jones mine car chases, a Fantastic Voyage thru the circularity system... all on the same day, different experience each ride."

If you've ever been to the "Body Wars" pavilion at Epcott center you would understand that with VR glasses you not only don't need a real location, you don't even need a true roller-coaster to create the experiences you are talking about.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jul 18, 2017 at 4:51:31 pm

[Herb Sevush] "[Mark Suszko] "VR is a big shot in the arm for old roller-coaster rides, which now suddenly can become virtual space dogfights, Indiana Jones mine car chases, a Fantastic Voyage thru the circularity system... all on the same day, different experience each ride."

If you've ever been to the "Body Wars" pavilion at Epcott center you would understand that with VR glasses you not only don't need a real location, you don't even need a true roller-coaster to create the experiences you are talking about."

It's true - the sense of height and movement is so convincing that I had a hard time keeping my balance the first time I experienced VR gaming. VR is here to stay IMO - I don't think anyone here will need to ditch their non-VR NLEs anytime soon, but having an understanding of motion graphics and 3D production might open some interesting opportunities in the future.

Shawn

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jul 18, 2017 at 6:00:08 pm

The theme park I worked at has VR for the first double loop roller coaster. I think I will pass. Why does everything have to be so damn high tech today?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 18, 2017 at 11:48:11 pm

We've all been told that virtual reality is the next big thing for such a long time. For me it started at an AES show in the 1990's. Within 10 years, I was told, it would change everything. Nearly 30 years later I really do think we are close to a technology that is now firmly here to stay, because during that time there has been an ongoing pursuit of enthusiasts determined to make it happen. And the reason is simple. It has applications way beyond mere entertainment.

The missing thing was hardware grunt. Even still I think the hardware is clunky. The headsets are still feel like beta territory for me. If you have experienced it and talked to developers you know it is very likely that we are nearing a time when it is a significant tech in our creative, technical world. I'm not surprised Adobe is first cab off the rank for tools that we flat screeners currently use.

Like all predictions that radio or cinema would die with TV and that everything will die with VR, the preceding tech will still have a viable place so for a good many years we may not see much impact in our space but I do think we should all pay some serious attention to it. I have some developer friends who are now into VR. They used to make dSP DAWs and SmartAV mixing desks. I've been to their facility and looked at what they are doing and it was obvious to me that VR is going to be a significant thing in entertainment, education, science, medicine etc etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]