FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Informal NLE poll

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Kimery
Re: Informal NLE poll
on Jul 7, 2017 at 3:03:27 pm

[Tony West] "To me it just seems impossible to ignore where the trend is going in our biz, and it's to one person productions.
I know with NETFlix and others there is more high quality production than ever, but none of those shows are being shot in my town."

I think that's the crux of the topic in that 'industry trends' depend a lot on geographical local and which segment of the industry is being discussed. Not much scripted film/TV in St. Louis, but there has been a growing amount of it in Atlanta and New Orleans thanks to tax incentives. Studios are even building sound stages in Atlanta (I don't think it's stable over the long term because of the aforementioned tax incentives, but that's another discussion...).

There are solo practitioners on YouTube that kill it with a webcam and a white wall, but there are also enough that want to go bigger that YouTube built it's own production studios in nine major cities across the globe. The YouTube Space in LA was so booked up late last year that when I worked on a show produced by YouTube itself we couldn't even use their facilities. They had to rent an off-campus office space and broadcast studio for us to work out of.

I agree that there are probably more one person productions happening now than ever before, but I think the industry is, as a whole, is expanding so it's not a zero sum situation. It's also cheaper now than ever before to run a multi-person production company or in-house video team so a new unit starting up won't be saddled by the same overhead (film scanners, tape decks, tape stock, video-specific routers, cabling, broadcast monitors, etc.,) that a older production company might have had.

Sure, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc., are the big name streaming contenders battling it out with more established cable and broadcast entities for legitimacy at the top, but down market from that we have companies like Yahoo, YouTube, Verizon, WWE, UFC, Vox, Viceland, DirecTV, Ski Channel, Riot Games (League of Legends), Rockstar Games (GTA series), Mattel (toys), Fabletics (clothing), PopSugar, Blizzard (WarCraft), Maker Studios, Ars Technica, The Verge, etc., all producing more and more video content in house. And at least in LA and NYC there seem to be a lot of new boutique facilities popping up headed by 30-somethings that create media content targeted at teens and 20-somethings. That reminds me, a few years ago I worked on a pretty cool web series and out of maybe a dozen post and production crew members (including producers) I think I was the only crew member over thirty.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]