FORUMS: list search recent posts

What would really make you excited ...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Ubsdell
What would really make you excited ...
on Jul 6, 2017 at 7:43:31 pm

... about the next version of FCP X?

Whether you're a diehard FCP X aficionado or someone who's still sitting on the fence, what would be the feature, or set of features, that would really set your world on fire?

If you're still not convinced about FCP X, is there a feature that would convince you?

If you love it the way it is, what would make you run away to Reno and marry it?

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: What would really make you excited ...
on Jul 6, 2017 at 7:46:22 pm
Last Edited By Steve Connor on Jul 6, 2017 at 7:46:36 pm

I'd love to see the return of tracks :)

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 6, 2017 at 7:48:12 pm

[Steve Connor] "I'd love to see the return of tracks :)"

Well, obviously. But apart from tracks ...

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 6, 2017 at 7:54:07 pm

Seamless integration with Resolve?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 6, 2017 at 7:56:01 pm

[Steve Connor] "Seamless integration with Resolve?"

Is it not seamless enough as it stands? How would you improve on it?

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 6, 2017 at 9:51:07 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Is it not seamless enough as it stands? How would you improve on it?"

It's not seamless...I can tell you that. It takes a LOT of prep and Metadata (that people who love FCX seem to swoon about) additions to make it smooth. I've onlined 10 documentaries cut on FCX since September 2016, and only one of those was nearly seamless. And that was because it was prepped by one of the top FCX AE's in Los Angeles. And EVEN THEN it wasn't completely seamless...not one of the stills in the show relinked properly. They never seem to. I always ask for a textless export in order to deal with that fact...I use that and chop it up in order to get stills over.

It's close, but yeah, it takes a lot of metadata management to do it right. I've had it done wrong too, and man, 80% of the film didn't relink properly. AVCHD formats and ANY camera that will repeat tapeless media naming when you change cards is a BIG issue. Other things to tackle...Secondaries coming over as one clip. Finally able to decompose those with R 12.5. But yeah, unless you add a lot of unique metadata, relinking can be an issue.

But I want what Andrew wants...shared project. And tracks. Without that I won't even consider it. But my brain doesn't work the way FCX wants it to...I'm a dinosaur.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 6, 2017 at 10:06:37 pm

[Shane Ross] "AVCHD formats and ANY camera that will repeat tapeless media naming when you change cards is a BIG issue"

That's an issue of production company laziness or lack of time before going straight into the edit. They should have a routine to transcode and rename any of these suspect formats in order for any cross-platform workflow to work. Same as a film-to-tape transfer session in the old days. But, alas, it almost never happens. At least Resolve let's you see the various possible options so you can visually decide which is the correct clip (if you know).

But yes, FCPX->Resolve could stand to be more seamless. Wes? Wes?

Have you had any where they automatically transcoded into the library as "optimized" media? If so, did those work any better?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 6, 2017 at 10:57:16 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Have you had any where they automatically transcoded into the library as "optimized" media? If so, did those work any better?"

Yes...a feature that was a disaster transfer wise. The one where 80% wouldn't transfer...and with multiclips where the other angle is a completely different location/subject. EIGHT cameras or footage types, all optimized. And when it got to me, 80% relinked incorrectly. That one ended up being a full res export/chop job.

It's all prep beforehand. Tapeless media MUST have metadata added as it comes in. This is something FCP 7 and ONLY FCP 7 (and 6) did. Log and Transfer instantly attached the Tapeless Backup Folder name as the REEL. NOT ONE of any of the current NLE's do that. Not one...only an 8 year old one. Not even FCX does that, and you'd think they would, being from Apple. But no...very useful feature lost. So when footage is brought in, REEL or TAPE ID or other unique identifier has to be manually added...and often is not. Only higher end productions with Assistant Editors tend to do this. One man bands often don't think of this. I cut a feature done in PPro where this too was not done, and proxies were made incorrectly, so linking to camera masters was a long, slow, painful process.

So that would be a feature request. Automatic adding of a reel number to the footage upon import.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jul 11, 2017 at 8:15:52 pm

[Shane Ross] "It's close, but yeah, it takes a lot of metadata management to do it right. I've had it done wrong too, and man, 80% of the film didn't relink properly. AVCHD formats and ANY camera that will repeat tapeless media naming when you change cards is a BIG issue."

That hasn't been my experience since v11. Photos, yes those are a huge pain and are just now working in the v14 beta, somewhat anyway.

As long as the media managed drive that the FCPXML is pointing to is used when importing into Resolve it's seamless (except stills).

Whenever the finishing place copies it from that drive to their storage first is where the problems happen. As long as they media manage to their system from Resolve after the timeline is imported it works without issue.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 7, 2017 at 6:20:18 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Jul 7, 2017 at 6:26:54 pm

[Steve Connor] "Seamless integration with Resolve?"

Out of interest, do you not use Color Finale?

I would have thought CF was the perfect fit for most FCP X users who wanted Resolve-style control over colour but didn't want to roundtrip.

There are a lot of high profile case histories where CF has been used more than successfully for the final grade.

Color Finale has been conceived very much with advanced professional workflows in mind and it's very hard to fault. (Much as I would like to ...!)

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 7, 2017 at 9:07:28 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Color Finale has been conceived very much with advanced professional workflows in mind and it's very hard to fault. (Much as I would like to ...!)
"

I was going to give it a try soon. I have heard good things about it

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 7, 2017 at 11:36:54 am

[Steve Connor] "I'd love to see the return of tracks"

Seriously?

Scott Witthaus
Owner, 1708 Inc./Editorial
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 7, 2017 at 9:08:44 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Seriously?
"

No!

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Jul 7, 2017 at 4:07:31 pm

Why would you want tracks back? That's crazy talk.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jul 6, 2017 at 7:58:41 pm

Multi-editor workflows on par with Avid. Of course that's on my wish list for any NLE not made by Avid. ;)

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 6, 2017 at 8:05:30 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Multi-editor workflows on par with Avid. Of course that's on my wish list for any NLE not made by Avid. ;)"

Agreed. AVID have made this look so easy and we've had it for years and years, but no-one else has yet come close.

Maybe Apple will surprise us, who knows?

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jul 6, 2017 at 8:54:38 pm

I know the FCPX GUI has improved but the last time I used it I could not set up the GUI how I wanted it. I have moved recently and don't have access to FCPX anymore to see if it can be set up how I want it as of now.

More than the GUI improvements if they made a Windows version I would buy it.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 6, 2017 at 9:52:32 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Jul 6, 2017 at 9:56:12 pm

Multi-editor workflow
Better integration with i/o devices
User configurable workspaces
Multiple timeline windows
Multiple tabbed projects (sequences) in the same timeline window
Actual project-to-project (sequence) edit functions
Better (more flexible) media relinking under user control
Built-in library (project) and media consolidation with media trimming
The ability to trim down a library by deleting unused clips within the same library (not create a new one)
Better internal color correction tools
Out-of-sync indicators
Timeline-based dupe detection indicators
Improved timecode visibility throughout UI
Improved (more flexible) multi-cam grouping
Multicam editing that doesn't put "through edits" across video or audio that isn't "switched"
Built-in tracking
Built-in masking for every effect
Improved replace function (more like that in PPro)
Track-based mixer panel (could also be role-based) with channel effects strip
The ability to easily re-attach detached audio in sync
Creative use of roles for video
Variable control of performance/resolution options (more level choices)
User interface brightness/contrast controls
Start/center/end/custom controls for transition effects
Insert edits that cut both primary storyline and split upstream-connected clips in one function
Control of connected clip edits so that stacking position is above or below existing, overlapping connected clips
Export option to ignore all keywords, tags, etc. so you don't have to manually remove them each time
The ability to export H264 as MP4, not MOV
Batch exports of clips or timelines (a Compressor queue function like PPro/AME would be work)
The ability to use off speed clips (externally "conformed") with funky audio without it corrupting the export
A companion iPad FCPX Lite version for logging/rough-cutting
Direct integration with Photos, Pixelmator, and/or Affinity for image manipulation (like add-ins within Photos)
Using industry-standard nomenclature!!!!!

... just for starters.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 6, 2017 at 10:35:40 pm

[Oliver Peters] "User configurable workspaces"

Don't we have these already?

[Oliver Peters] "Built-in masking for every effect"

And this?

Other than that, yours and Michael's seem like pretty good lists for Apple to be getting busy with.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 7, 2017 at 12:15:13 am

[Simon Ubsdell] "Don't we have these already?"

No. While you can come up with a number of configurations, they are only Apple's defined layouts. For example, if you want the inspector pane on the left part of the UI or the timeline above the viewer, you can't do that. If you have three displays, you can't spilt up the UI across three screens. IOW, total user customization.

[Simon Ubsdell] "And this?"

There is masking, but not as a built-in attribute of every effect.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 7, 2017 at 8:19:47 am
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Jul 7, 2017 at 8:22:05 am

[Oliver Peters] "There is masking, but not as a built-in attribute of every effect."

You may be right but I'm finding it hard to discover an effect that doesn't come with built-in masking, both "Shape Mask" and "Color Mask". Apart from a handful like the Keyer and the Luma Keyer where it makes some sense not to have them.

On the UI front, I imagine Apple have now gone as far as they will ever concede to going - they're not keen on letting the user make a mess of their beautifully conceived designs.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 7, 2017 at 8:04:31 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "but I'm finding it hard to discover an effect that doesn't come with built-in masking, both "Shape Mask" and "Color Mask"."

It would be nice to have it in Transform.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jul 6, 2017 at 11:56:39 pm

+1 Oliver!

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Jul 8, 2017 at 5:55:57 am

[Oliver Peters] "Batch exports of clips or timelines"

This is the main one I scratch my head over.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 8, 2017 at 11:15:27 am

[Scott Thomas] "[Oliver Peters] "Batch exports of clips or timelines"

This is the main one I scratch my head over."

Do you mean my request is confusing or you don't understand why it's not there already?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Jul 8, 2017 at 11:40:01 pm

Oliver,

I'm usually just confused about everything.
Most of my work is done in After Effects. I like to use FCPX to organize the output and marry the final audio track to the video. The share feature is great for getting stuff up to Vimeo for clients, but why-oh-why can you not select more than one to export. At least in Legacy you could export multiple sequences at once. Great for episodic bag-and-tag for a local station.

Hope Apple is looking at your list.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 8, 2017 at 7:52:28 am

Yeah! What he said!!!

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Jul 11, 2017 at 6:25:47 pm

Sounds like Premiere would make you happy! Most of your wish list, Premiere already does

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jul 6, 2017 at 9:49:36 pm

If these features were in the next version of FCPX it would improve my editorial life immensely. In no particular order:

1. Video lanes, like the audio lanes, so I can keep graphics/color/VFX/etc... organized easier.
2. Better keyboard navigation (like the ability to select a secondary storyline to edit into without needing the mouse).
3. Avid style project sharing.
4. Smart merging events between projects (including picking what you do/don't want to keep from each event during merge - like MergeX, but without having to roundtrip to another app).
5. Video I/O that actually works, without the serious lag issues.
6. Ability to add infinite custom columns in list view. And the ability to add info to multiple clips directly in the event, not just in the inspector (select clips, right click column, add info, and it's added to all clips).
7. Open multiple events at once, as either tabbed windows or floating ones.
8. "Watch/Live folders" that you can assign to keyboards/events. Example - I assign a "Music" folder as a watch folder/live folder for the Audio Event, Keyword Music. Every time I add a file to that folder the asset is added to my FCPX library and the Music keyword is applied.
9. Ability to assign roles to keywords or events. This would be great in conjunction with Watch/Live folders and would make role assignment nearly automatic.
10. Improved trimming. Asymmetrical trimming, more/better keyboard use. Basically, Avid and Premiere style trimming.
11. Scrolling timeline.
12. Export name matches project name by default, not most recently used name for that project's export.
13. Proper batch exporting.
14. Real background transcoding/rendering/ingest, like Avid has. Or Premiere.
15. Ability to mix proxy with non-proxy footage.
16. Remember last project that was open when opening a library.
17. Option to have Roles you've turned off in the timeline index be turned off on export - this fixes the "can't export roles direct to Vimeo" issue.
18. Ability to zoom into waveforms in list view.
19. JKL trimming with 4-up updates.
20. Add option to turn off "select clip under mouse", and instead select clip under playhead.
21. Fully customizable interface. If I want the inspector to the left of the event browser, let me move it there.
22. Color code clips in events, have ability to show these colors in projects.
23. Better timecode options, like Avid. I want to see 29.97 drop frame timecode when I'm in a 23.976 project, and a list of source timecode, sequence timecode, absolute, remaining, etc... all at the same time.
24. Break apart clips show sync indicators.
25. Built in ability to import custom LUTs on a per project basis.
26. Add option to ripple role changes made in an event to an open project, overriding whatever roles in that project have already been applied. Like Avid's Refresh/Update Sequence feature.
27. Option to leave files in place, even though the folder structure looks like a camera card.
28. Conform frame rates in the event (for example, play 60fps footage as 23.976 for 2.5x slomo, without having to cut footage into a project first).
29. Tabbed project windows.
30. Ability to scrub a project in the event and edit directly from it to another project, either as a compound clip or as individual clips.

I have a lot more, but these would be a huge boost to the efficiency of the app.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 6, 2017 at 9:56:54 pm

[Michael Hancock] "If these features were in the next version of FCPX it would improve my editorial life immensely."

Amen!

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jul 6, 2017 at 11:39:22 pm

[Michael Hancock] "21. Fully customizable interface. If I want the inspector to the left of the event browser, let me move it there."

That is what I am talking about. The GUI of FCPX does has some flexibility but not as much as I need.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 6, 2017 at 10:40:12 pm

Over and over I see these same types of lists.

95% are "I had this feature in something else - now please give it to me again, just inside X."

It's tiresome.

What makes X singularly good at things - in my opinion - is that it DIDN'T just port a metric ton of existing features already out in the marketplace into a new wrapper and add a couple of shiny new features on top.

That's the way software has developed for years. Yes, I get that if something is TRULY broken - it needs to be repaired if it can be. And it's ALWAYS nice to get little interface improvements that make the software more familiar and instantly convenient for any class of editors.

But,

I remain ever hopeful that like ALL the larger changes of the past few years - when X gets another significant upgrade - it's focused at least somewhat on breaking NEW ground - rather than on what these lists commonly represent - which is backtracking to make suite class editors - who are justifiably conditioned to a particular type of workflow - feel more comfortable.

It's ITERATE backwards (which is what the "suite" folk typically want) vs INNOVATE forward. And I'm pretty convinced that few people will EVER change software simply because it's "iterated" a bit better either forward or backwards than something else. Iteration barely moves the needle. But INNOVATION can.

That is if ANYTHING can. I'm increasingly suspicious we may be stuck pretty much where we area until the global economy sorts itself out a bit more - and companies start spending money again without so much angst over every single dollar. We'll see.

My 2 cents.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 6, 2017 at 10:44:23 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Jul 6, 2017 at 10:48:19 pm

[Bill Davis] "Over and over I see these same types of lists.

95% are "I had this feature in something else - now please give it to me again, just inside X.""

To be fair to Michael and Oliver, I don't think theirs are the sort of lists you are talking about at all.

They are very specific about specific ways that the specific functionality of FCP X qua FCP X could be improved.

I do not see them as asking for features from other applications to be grafted onto FCP X.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 6, 2017 at 10:45:56 pm

[Bill Davis] "I remain ever hopeful that like ALL the larger changes of the past few years - when X gets another significant upgrade - it's focused at least somewhat on breaking NEW ground"

So what in your view would that be? Which was the original question.

I'd be most interested to hear what FCP X specialists like yourself actually think about this.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 6, 2017 at 11:44:33 pm

My 2cents is that Resolve 14 has added a lot of the features in Michael and Oliver's list. The new collaboration tools, better on board grading, audio mixing with clip, track and bus based effects totally automatable. And more is coming. If anyone is likely to fill the wish lists in the next year it is Blackmagic for mine. Any list of mine must also included dedicated control hardware. If I have to use mouse & keyboards only then its almost a deal breaker.

Sure it runs the risk of totally confusing some by having such extensive facility but if you want all those things then send your lists to Blackmagic. I know they are listening.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jul 6, 2017 at 11:50:47 pm

[Michael Gissing] "My 2cents is that Resolve 14 has added a lot of the features in Michael and Oliver's list. The new collaboration tools, better on board grading, audio mixing with clip, track and bus based effects totally automatable. And more is coming. If anyone is likely to fill the wish lists in the next year it is Blackmagic for mine."

I agree. DR 14 looks awesome. I think BMD is going to force Adobe to up the ante of Premiere Pro at NAB 2018.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jul 6, 2017 at 11:47:13 pm

[Bill Davis] "What makes X singularly good at things - in my opinion - is that it DIDN'T just port a metric ton of existing features already out in the marketplace into a new wrapper and add a couple of shiny new features on top."

The last time I used FCPX the GUI could have used more customization. The GUI is very important when you consider you will be looking at it for hours on end.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 7, 2017 at 12:17:45 am

[Bill Davis] "95% are "I had this feature in something else - now please give it to me again, just inside X."

It's tiresome. "

Or it's funtionality that we need...which is why the other NLE's are better suited for other workflows. If you want people to see FCX as the tool of the future, why wouldn't you want it to do what people need? See, for you, it does what you need and you can't seem to fathom WHY people would want all that other stuff. "WHY do they need that? I mean, FCX is perfect already!" Or "why does it need that? That's antiquated thinking and FCX is so streamline that it doesn't need to do that...in fact, that doesn't need to be done at all!" or about about "let someone make a plugin for that if you really need it. Don't touch FCX...it's perfect!"

[Bill Davis] "It's ITERATE backwards (which is what the "suite" folk typically want) vs INNOVATE forward."

See? "Why on earth would you need that? That's backwards thinking." Look beyond your needs, Bill. And stop thinking that what we need is antiquated...outdated...backwards. Not every new thing is good. Just because it's new, doesn't make it better.

[Bill Davis] "backtracking to make suite class editors - who are justifiably conditioned to a particular type of workflow - feel more comfortable. "

I was going to respond to this, but I'm done with you, Bill. You may be a nice guy and talented, but BOY do you keep insisting that FCX is God's gift to post, and anyone who doesn't think so is sadly lost, anyone that insists on doing things their old ways (that still work) are dinosaurs. You insult a huge group of people every time I check this forum. Just going to have to not read anything you say anymore..

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 7, 2017 at 12:51:14 am

[Shane Ross] "Bill Davis] "It's ITERATE backwards (which is what the "suite" folk typically want) vs INNOVATE forward."
See? "Why on earth would you need that? That's backwards thinking.""

When computer-assisted video editing started, there were plenty of things that were viewed as superior to film editing workflows. Yet, that was incorrect. When NLEs took hold, at lot of the design was based on film editing, as much as video editing. Thus, a hybrid evolved. So letting go of the past isn't always a successful strategy (Mac Pro, cough, cough).

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jul 7, 2017 at 3:21:44 am

[Oliver Peters] "So letting go of the past isn't always a successful strategy (Mac Pro, cough, cough)."

Non up-gradable parts and soldered on memory is the future : )

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 7, 2017 at 4:27:37 am
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Jul 7, 2017 at 4:44:55 am

Just get what I'm representing here RIGHT, Shane.

Imagine that an imaginary software engineer has 100 hours of work to spend.

When I read those lists of "requests" what I saw looked to be people arguing for him or her to proceed about 80-20 weighed towards things that are already well understood because those functions are already present in software that editors are already aware of, just not in EVERY software implementation. So they are EXISTING but perceived as MISSING by a broad class of editors.

They don't interest me and I know EXACTLY why. Because as an individual editor, my workflow needs very few of them to succeed.

You don't think I get that, but I totally DO. It's just not of ANY interest to me to advocate for what doesn't interest me. No more than I'd expect you to be interested in, say, some one button "burn to thumb drive" capability that might make a wedding and event shooter DROOL. You are NOT that, so let THEM advocate for their needs, right?

I actually think I conceptually understand your 80/20 split pretty well. It has NOTHING to do with anyone thinking you are a DINOSAUR one little bit. So please stop with that crap. Every single thing on Olivers list is rational and completely useful for many editors and to think I don't get that is insulting.

But based on what you wrote here, you don't understand MY 80/20 at all. First, you blew up and accused me of being 100/0 which is pissy. Again, please stop.

Here's my reality.

That imaginary engineer up at the top of this? I want him or her to go 80/20 the OPPOSITE of how YOU want them to go 80/20. Innovate 80 and fix 20 for the people who want to come into my program of choice and try to re-make it in the image of THEIR preferences. Fix 80 then innovate 20 is NOT GOOD ENOUGH anymore IMO. We need MORE wild eyed advocates for innovate 80 and fix 20. It's how the bar gets moved now. And THATS what I want.

I know I'll never get that. Too much resistance to ANY change out there. But MAYBE by caterwauling about my 80 - the split has a better chance of inching toward 50/50. Which is the traditional standard of fair to all, right?

Right there, if you or Oliver or Simon or anyone else to wants an NLE company to balance old and new thinking - and AGREE a split is good - it's VALID to argue for a different split.

And that's what I'm doing. Representing a different but EQUALLY rational view here.

I'm not arguing that the 20 on EITHER side is invalid. But by reducing my writing to ALL about my 80 and pretending I have NO respect for the 20 - that's what YOU are doing here. And I don't appreciate it one bit.

It is perfectly correct to say I do NOT have at the TOP of my request list for FCPX to become SAFER and More comfortable for your class of editors. I perhaps even want it to maybe be MORE dangerous in the search of more speed and performance. It's parents have proved that they can make it acceptably safe and then some. Now I prefer to wish it to stay true to its heritage of innovation.

That's way more interesting to me,

If you don't like that - so be it. There are plenty of safe choices around.

Block or ignore me if you choose.

But at least know why.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jul 7, 2017 at 5:44:57 am

[Bill Davis] "They don't interest me and I know EXACTLY why. Because as an individual editor, my workflow needs very few of them to succeed.

You don't think I get that, but I totally DO. It's just not of ANY interest to me to advocate for what doesn't interest me. No more than I'd expect you to be interested in, say, some one button "burn to thumb drive" capability that might make a wedding and event shooter DROOL. You are NOT that, so let THEM advocate for their needs, right?"

The GUI of FCPX could use more customization. If FCPX does get more customization for the GUI layout I think you would be the first to do a video tutorial explaining how the new GUI features makes your workflow much more proficient.

[Bill Davis] "That imaginary engineer up at the top of this? I want him or her to go 80/20 the OPPOSITE of how YOU want them to go 80/20. Innovate 80 and fix 20 for the people who want to come into my program of choice and try to re-make it in the image of THEIR preferences. Fix 80 then innovate 20 is NOT GOOD ENOUGH anymore IMO. We need MORE wild eyed advocates for innovate 80 and fix 20. It's how the bar gets moved now. And THATS what I want."

You may not need the items on other people's wish list but what is it that you want added to FCPX? If you cannot think of anything then why not let Apple add the wish list features other people need to make their workflow more proficient? Why be opposed to any improvements that will make your fellow FCPX users more proficient?

[Bill Davis] "I remain ever hopeful that like ALL the larger changes of the past few years - when X gets another significant upgrade - it's focused at least somewhat on breaking NEW ground - rather than on what these lists commonly represent - which is backtracking to make suite class editors - who are justifiably conditioned to a particular type of workflow - feel more comfortable.

It's ITERATE backwards (which is what the "suite" folk typically want) vs INNOVATE forward. And I'm pretty convinced that few people will EVER change software simply because it's "iterated" a bit better either forward or backwards than something else. Iteration barely moves the needle. But INNOVATION can."

What amazing new innovation are you hoping for from Apple? Is Apple working on touch screen options for FCPX? Touch screen is already here but I imagine when OS X finally gets touch screen support it will be amazing, revolutionary and innovative. Keep in mind Apple did not invent metadata, background rendering, GPU acceleration, 64 bit, Quick Sync, keyword collections and the list goes on. I know you think FCPX was amazing, revolutionary and innovative when it first launched but I would have to question why? I honestly think from what I have read Randy actually used Adobe Bridge and liked the keyword and keyword collection features of Adobe Bridge. As sated by others FCPX was supposed to be like Adobe Bridge/Prelude for FCP 8 but they ended up making it a full NLE and called it FCPX. The trackless paradigm was implemented by Apple but not everyone agrees it is always the best option. Why not just let Apple add the feature requests listed in this thread?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 7, 2017 at 10:51:18 am
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Jul 7, 2017 at 11:13:06 am

[Bill Davis] "Right there, if you or Oliver or Simon or anyone else to wants an NLE company to balance old and new thinking - and AGREE a split is good - it's VALID to argue for a different split.
"

I think you are possibly unfairly characterising the type of things that are being asked for, which in general seem to me to be about improving the specific experience of FCP X itself rather than imposing "old ways of thinking".

A while back I took Apple to task on this forum for what I thought were weaknesses in the 5.3 redesign, most especially the fact that with a fixed width Inspector the granularity of the effects sliders was severely compromised.

Subsequently, in version 10.3.3, Apple took note of this and implemented the "ability to expand the width of the Inspector to view and adjust effect parameters".

This is exactly the kind of improvement that some FCP X users are looking for and Oliver's and Michael's lists seem to be made up of very much this type of specific request.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 7, 2017 at 11:40:36 am

More seamless integration with Motion and Logic. Buy Affinity and integrate.

sw

Scott Witthaus

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 7, 2017 at 12:39:37 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Buy Affinity and integrate."

Good grief! Nooooooo... Just another company to kill? Look what they did with Color. An "Applization" of Serif would destroy any innovation that they are headed in.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jul 7, 2017 at 2:51:55 pm

[Oliver Peters] "[Scott Witthaus] "Buy Affinity and integrate."

Good grief! Nooooooo... Just another company to kill? Look what they did with Color. An "Applization" of Serif would destroy any innovation that they are headed in.

- Oliver"

That would not be good news for the PC side of the base... the suggestion alone brings back bad memories of the Emagic acquisition.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 9, 2017 at 10:31:27 pm

[Oliver Peters] "An "Applization" of Serif would destroy any innovation that they are headed in.
"

Like DS and Symphony? ;-)

Scott Witthaus

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Jul 10, 2017 at 12:08:28 am

To add to the list...

PuffinDesigns – Commotion
Aldus – Freehand
Denim Software – Paint and Effect
ASDG – Elastic Reality
AVID – Matador and Media Illusion
SoftImage

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 10, 2017 at 12:22:52 am

[Scott Witthaus] "Like DS and Symphony? ;-)"

I realize you're just being snarky, but when Apple buys a company, it's usually to absorb the technology and the products often disappear afterwards. In some cases, the company survives as a unit or a product, but not at all in the same way. Avid buying DS is hardly the same thing. You can argue that it was neglected by Avid, but in reality it simply didn't succeed in the marketplace.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jul 7, 2017 at 8:55:49 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "More seamless integration with Motion and Logic. Buy Affinity and integrate."

Now you are talking but will BMD introduce a photo/graphics program first?

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jul 7, 2017 at 11:52:16 am

[Bill Davis] "Innovate 80 and fix 20 for the people who want to come into my program of choice and try to re-make it in the image of THEIR preferences. Fix 80 then innovate 20 is NOT GOOD ENOUGH anymore IMO. We need MORE wild eyed advocates for innovate 80 and fix 20. It's how the bar gets moved now. And THATS what I want. "

Isn't this how we ended up with the big 3D text update? Tons of resources poured into something nobody seemed to be asking for? Or maybe there was a massive clamoring for 3D text and I wasn't aware of it. But the reaction online didn't seem overwhelmingly positive. Personally - I've used 3D text once. I'd rather they look at my list or Oliver's list and implement even one thing - I'd use that implementation at least once a day!

[Bill Davis] "We need MORE wild eyed advocates for innovate 80 and fix 20. It's how the bar gets moved now. And THATS what I want. "

Who are these wild eyed advocates? Are they hidden away inside Apple, operating in a vacuum? Are they users? If it's the users, who they pick to listen to and how do they find them? I can't remember ever seeing you post about what you would change about FCPX. You seem perfectly content with the software as it is, and fight against anybody that suggests otherwise and lists needed improvements, especially if those improvements include adding a feature found in another NLE. If you're perfectly happy with how it is now, and see no way to push the software forward, then what do you care if others want to integrate features they used in other software? You might love them and they might make you 20% more efficient!

I try to make my feature request lists based on what I think could realistically be done in the software. Otherwise I'd put "automatically pick the most emotional shot from every take and edit my story for me while I make coffee". Wouldn't that be awesome? Of course! But it's not realistic. But asymmetrical trimming? That should be totally possible.

If you want an idea that might be a little more innovative than my original list, here's an idea I've been kicking around - use metadata to automatically create string outs, audition clips, and first edits. You can have someone on set logging takes, scene numbers, etc...with a spreadsheet like Shot Notes X. Import your footage and marry that metadata to your clips. Now you have all of your scene numbers and takes in FCPX as metadata. Why not have the software automatically create audition clips on a per scene/take basis? Or Scene/Framing/Take, if you want to group all of Scene 1 Wide takes together?

Then the software strings those audition clips out based on scene number, so your rough cut is done automatically. Of course you'll change it, but at least it's all in a sequence laid out per your script, with all takes grouped together so you can instantly cycle through them all, in a matter of seconds. It's just grouping based on metadata - it should be possible, and could shave hours or days off assembly time, and would make audition clips actually useful.

And while we're using metadata for grouping, how about creating "selects" clips from keywords or metadata you've added? Here's how I could see it working. Every keyword has a "selects" clip automatically created. It's like a compound+audition clip of every shot with that keyword on it. You can scrub the selects clip in your event browser to find the shot you want, then edit the selects clip into your sequence, but when you "activate" it on your timeline a temporary string out of every clip with that keyword pops up over your timeline, so you can see your edit in place with all of the available keyword shots above it in a string out, so you can quickly shuttle through them without having to leave your timeline. Whenever you select a clip in that string out (or a range of a clip) you can hit play and it will play around your edit so you can see it in place. No more going back to the browser and finding the shots you want, or making string outs and cutting/pasting from sequence to sequence, or flipping to icon view and scrubbing an event. Everything is available in your sequence, able to be reviewed in context, and swapped out instantly, based on the metadata you added before you started the edit. It's a combination of your presorting style and Simon's "everything in a sequence" (sort of). When you finish your edit you collapse or commit all the selects clips so you can send your edit out for color/sound.

There's tons of automation I'd like to see added using the metadata FCPX has access to, which would be incredibly useful with Watch/Live folders, where it automatically imports files dropped into folders you're watching, then applies workflows you define (add roles, add color tagging, if the folder has a log/shot notes file it automatically applies it to the imported clips and creates audition clips based on scene/take/framing/whatever, create sync clips based on timecode, etc...). Basically, stream line and automate as much of the boring stuff you have to do before you actually edit. None of that is available in other NLEs, and FCPX's extensive metadata means it might be possible to do.

Back to the original question - if feature requests based on real work experience are too bland or backwards thinking, what exactly do you want Apple to do to move the software forward? What exactly is the next big innovation you're looking for?

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 7, 2017 at 12:17:25 pm

[Michael Hancock] "If you want an idea that might be a little more innovative than my original list, here's an idea I've been kicking around - use metadata to automatically create string outs, audition clips, and first edits."

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/21/ai-film-editor-can-cut-scenes-in-second...

This goes one better! "AI Automatic Editing".

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Jul 7, 2017 at 12:47:50 pm

In the 4k era, using proxies is more important than ever. Likewise maintaining a "lean library" for collaborative remote editing is also more important than ever, as is using a proxy-only workflow.

The current product does not well support using these together. Relink is unreliable when using external proxies and can lock up the app. The only workaround is rename the portable drive volume name to match the original volume name where the proxies were generated. There is also no built-in UI support for non-video elements such as graphics or audio in a proxy-only workflow.

Since proxies are stored by default in the library they must be created or moved outside the library to keep the size small and portable. There is no direct UI support for this but requires a cumbersome, error-prone procedure which is discussed in Ripple Training's 10.3 Media Management Class. There are hack workarounds such as manually moving proxies outside the library and recreating aliases but procedures like this should not be necessary: http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/tutorials/1828-cheating-final-cut-pro-x-pro...

There should be well-thought-out direct UI support for external proxies and proxy-only workflow, also relink should be more reliable and not choke when using external proxies and a different volume name.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 7, 2017 at 12:59:24 pm

I think that the context of the original question is what would get people to embrace FCPX if they haven't already. From my perspective, I was an early adopter. I've cut a lot of stuff in X. Over the last six years, it's less and less functional for my needs on a wide range of productions. I now use X on a very limited basis and it's usually only laptop-based edits.

My clients in many cases pointedly tell me not to use X, because there is no support structure around it. I.e. other freelancers in the area don't know it, it doesn't work on PCs, it's not great in collaborative environments, they want After Effects integration, you name it. The reasons are many and they are not entirely irrational or invalid.

I don't see one-man bands as the future of video. I see a lot of reformulation, though. Large facilities failing, but also smaller shops growing. It's very different from market to market, making it hard to generalize.

So I think just a few of these changes would go a long way to making X a better, more-appealing product for a wider range of uses.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Jul 7, 2017 at 1:28:25 pm

I think the ability to import and create proxies for Arriraw (both .ari file seq, and mxf), Panasonic Raw, Canon Raw, and Sony F65/F55 raw would help as these are getting more prevalent even for smaller productions.
Switching between proxies in the library and actual media files outside, and seamless tracking of external files would help too. so, if the drive/s with Arriraw files has been unmounted, the timeline should link to proxies inside the library but still remain aware of the availability or not, of external files.
Currently DaVinci Resolve is probably the only NLE which can handle nearly any or all of the pro formats, and track them externally.

Also, an ACES workflow, support for LUTs, and the ability to export out clips for VFX/CGI with filenames and metadata preserved.
Then, preservation of metadata from DNxHD ,mxf files (at the moment, reel names get lost).

Resolve conform from FCP X has worked flawlessly for a couple of projects I've handled, even with AVCHD clips, and zero TC and repeat filenames. Provided, the clips were inside the library, and I imported the FCP X XML and asked Resolve to import clips along with XML. Compound clips get a bit tricky sometimes.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jul 10, 2017 at 2:21:52 pm

[Oliver Peters] "I don't see one-man bands as the future of video. I see a lot of reformulation, though. Large facilities failing, but also smaller shops growing. It's very different from market to market, making it hard to generalize."

Of course given my signature you might know I would disagree with this assessment. I think it completely depends on the market you're talking about. Will one-man bands take over production for episodic television - of course not. Quality demands are too high. High-dollar advertising - nope. Risk of failure is too high. But there is a whole bunch of things that one-man bands can deliver at a much, much, much more affordable rate than the typical producer, videographer, editor, facility can manage. Especially for social media, where there is a calculation between quantity and quality.

I personally stack up my work against things that have 10X the budget I do things for. As much as any task though it takes talent. And not everyone has the right mix of talents to do one-man band production. I would argue it's actually a VERY rare combination to do it well.

While one-man bands are not the ONLY future for video. They are certainly a growing part of it and not going away anytime soon.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 10, 2017 at 3:09:53 pm

[Brett Sherman] "I would argue it's actually a VERY rare combination to do it well.

While one-man bands are not the ONLY future for video. They are certainly a growing part of it and not going away anytime soon."

I agree with a lot of this; however, these two sentences seem to be in direct contradiction to each other. Hence, I don't see it as the future anymore now then in the past.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jul 13, 2017 at 9:36:21 pm

[Oliver Peters] "While one-man bands are not the ONLY future for video. They are certainly a growing part of it and not going away anytime soon."

I agree with a lot of this; however, these two sentences seem to be in direct contradiction to each other. Hence, I don't see it as the future anymore now then in the past."

It's not really contradictory at all. Maybe you misread it. And I would say on balance because of technological advancements such as usable auto-focus, automated color correction, easy audio noise fixes, more nimble editing programs, the quality level of one-man bands goes up. It's not like it happens overnight, but that is the general progression. And you add to that a changing aesthetic where things don't need to be perfect - really a desire for something "real" with a lack of pretense. Large teams can get in the way of that.

I look back at my biggest social media "hits" and two at the top were filmed and edited in a day. One I didn't even know I would be making the morning I came into work. But I was at the right place at the right time, saw the potential and framed it right. When you require a team, you just can't be that nimble.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 10, 2017 at 3:03:47 pm

[Oliver Peters] "My clients in many cases pointedly tell me not to use X"

Interesting, as I ask to have X installed and my clients agree (starting that gig end of this week). They trust me, as the editor, to choose the best tool for the job.

In fact I just got an email from a gentleman who just came off of an Avid assistant job on the series, Turn. This guy is an avid Avid die-hard. However, he is setting up a 4-wall room for freelancers to rent out and it has all three A's plus an R. Editors choice. To me, this is a very smart way to go. Don't bias your shop out of potential work.

[Oliver Peters] "I now use X on a very limited basis and it's usually only laptop-based edits."

Your choice or back to your clients?

[Oliver Peters] "I don't see one-man bands as the future of video."

Define "video". Broadcast TV? Corporate? Educational? Social? There is so much "video" out there. Is your definition based on a budget or ANY budget?

I see the mid-level sized shops having more difficulty going forward, precisely because the 1-man/woman shop can compete on so many levels at an efficient cost and the large facilities can handle large jobs at an efficient cost. The squeeze is in the middle.

Scott Witthaus

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jul 10, 2017 at 4:19:56 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "I see the mid-level sized shops having more difficulty going forward, precisely because the 1-man/woman shop can compete on so many levels at an efficient cost and the large facilities can handle large jobs at an efficient cost. The squeeze is in the middle."

Agreed. The middle getting squeezed is happening in many other areas too like music, publishing, software, video games, etc,..

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 10, 2017 at 10:00:20 pm

Pulling together two threads:

[Tony West] "The take away for me is that things are being scaled down to independent individuals with multi talents."

[Scott Witthaus] "I see the mid-level sized shops having more difficulty going forward, precisely because the 1-man/woman shop can compete on so many levels at an efficient cost and the large facilities can handle large jobs at an efficient cost. The squeeze is in the middle."

[Andrew Kimery] "Agreed. The middle getting squeezed is happening in many other areas too like music, publishing, software, video games, etc,.."

A single-person "team" is self-limiting, and truly large organizations sacrifice flexibility. I think the biggest opportunities lie in the middle.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 10, 2017 at 10:34:04 pm

[Walter Soyka] "A single-person "team" is self-limiting,"

Can you explain?

[Walter Soyka] " I think the biggest opportunities lie in the middle."

Once again?

Scott Witthaus

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jul 11, 2017 at 3:35:37 am

[Scott Witthaus] "[Walter Soyka] "A single-person "team" is self-limiting,"

Can you explain?

[Walter Soyka] " I think the biggest opportunities lie in the middle."

Once again?
"

I agree, I think when I client goes somewhere out of house, they do that thinking they have and are paying for the best creatives in that their given field. The know thier getting a editor at the top of the game, but also music supervision, graphics, finishing all from people who specialize it each profession. Not one guy that is bad ass editor, but can manage with gfx, color, and has okay music sensibilities and knows legal specs.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 11, 2017 at 12:58:54 pm

[Neil Goodman] "The know thier getting a editor at the top of the game, but also music supervision, graphics, finishing all from people who specialize it each profession."

Exactly and this is what many freelancers, including myself, do. Back in the old days, I would handle all post after dailies (now it's cards backed up twice!) and supervise through color. I would pay each of these specialists too. But I am still a one man shop who happens to manage the post process. I think mid-size post houses feel obligated to keep their employees busy (and the work in-house), so the client might not get the best person for a particular job, rather the person that is available.

Scott Witthaus

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 11, 2017 at 2:21:34 pm

A single-person "team" is self-limiting for two reasons: 1) it's very hard to be a legitimate specialist in all the many disciplines that work in our industries, and 2) there are only so many hours in a day in which one person can work.

I say the best opportunity is in the middle because a small team has many of the same advantages described elsewhere for freelancers, but they have significantly more capacity for work. That opens up a broad range of interesting projects with interesting budgets that are simply not available to sole proprietors.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jul 11, 2017 at 3:47:45 pm

[Walter Soyka] "A single-person "team" is self-limiting for two reasons: 1) it's very hard to be a legitimate specialist in all the many disciplines that work in our industries, and 2) there are only so many hours in a day in which one person can work.

I say the best opportunity is in the middle because a small team has many of the same advantages described elsewhere for freelancers, but they have significantly more capacity for work. That opens up a broad range of interesting projects with interesting budgets that are simply not available to sole proprietors.
"

Not to state the obvious, but not all projects require specialist-level work at each (if any) position, and while there are only so many hours in a day there are also only so many dollars in a budget. If the client/customer is only willing to spend X on the final product then having costs that meet or exceed X doesn't pan out in the long run.

Look at the iOS app store, for instance. The average price for an app is $0.89.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/267346/average-apple-app-store-price-ap...

As a software dev how do you work backwards from $0.89? You could make a better app, but generally people won't pay for it. This is how we get into the world of freemuim, ad based, and subscriptions taking over the software business.

I've worked with online companies that face similar problems with videos. For example, a video that takes a day to make might get 50,000 views, but a much better video that takes a week to make might only get 100,000. Sure, it's twice the views but it took you 5 times as long to make it. Maybe you could hire two crew people so you could get it done in two days, but it's still just 100,000 views and now you have to split the ad revenue three ways instead of keeping it all yourself. It's a weird feeling where you need to do sub-par work in order to survive because you audience is okay with sub-par and won't support anything better.

Large companies can bridge these gaps by having diversified revenue streams while very small companies can survive by keeping extreme low overhead. It's the middle of the road companies that start getting squeezed out because they are too big to be small and too small to be big.

Obviously these are just a couple of broad examples, and maybe we'll see a swing back in the other direction in the future as companies that are very small now learn how to navigate the new playing field and grow into medium sized companies.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 13, 2017 at 9:02:26 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Look at the iOS app store, for instance. The average price for an app is $0.89... I've worked with online companies that face similar problems with videos. "

Andrew, the challenges you're describing for mass-market opportunities are brutal. I'd agree that selling low-cost, low-margin work directly to consumers is a scale game. I'm less interested in that space than I am in higher-margin work that goes to narrower audiences.

That said, I'm trying to express this idea of yours as the opportunity here:

[Andrew Kimery] "maybe we'll see a swing back in the other direction in the future as companies that are very small now learn how to navigate the new playing field and grow into medium sized companies."

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 11, 2017 at 7:43:24 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I say the best opportunity is in the middle because a small team has many of the same advantages described elsewhere for freelancers, but they have significantly more capacity for work. "

What sort of numbers constitute "a small team" in your view?

In my experience of a number of different size configurations, the "small" solution that seems to work best is when each member of the team is a strong player in their own right.

Above a certain size, this is rarely possible as other business considerations begin to dilute the ideal mix.

The "middle" often suffers from a weight of management considerations which are inimical to a healthy business.

Beyond a certain scale, however, other factors come into play that mitigate the downsides.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 13, 2017 at 9:14:56 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "What sort of numbers constitute "a small team" in your view?"

A small team tops out at maybe 6 or 7 people.

Have you heard of Jeff Bezos's two-pizza team rule? The idea is that a team should not require more than two pizzas to feed. Here's a quick explanation of growing a team linearly results in increasing communication exponentially:
http://blog.idonethis.com/two-pizza-team/

At some point at or around 10 people, a new management layer becomes necessary.

[Simon Ubsdell] "The "middle" often suffers from a weight of management considerations which are inimical to a healthy business. "

Maybe we should seek a definition on "the middle?"

There are at least two. There's a big difference between a freelancer and a small team (as defined above). There's another big difference between a small team (which can be flat and requires no management) and an organization which may consist of several small teams and a management layer.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 13, 2017 at 9:29:38 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Have you heard of Jeff Bezos's two-pizza team rule?"

I hadn't heard it before, but now that I have it makes perfect sense and chimes with actual experience.

Thank you!

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jul 10, 2017 at 10:58:22 pm

[Walter Soyka] "A single-person "team" is self-limiting, and truly large organizations sacrifice flexibility. I think the biggest opportunities lie in the middle."

I hear what yer saying, but things just don't appear to be panning out like that. The people holding the purse strings either want something that's too big to fail or so small that failure doesn't cost them much.

"Quentin Tarantino, Ridley Scott, Four More Directors on the Decline of "Middle-Class Films," Facing Retirement"
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/quentin-tarantino-ridley-scott-fo...

"Gaming’s Middle Class is Dead: Here’s Why That’s Sad"
http://www.craveonline.com/site/497509-gamings-middle-class-is-dead-heres-w...

"Life and Death in the App Store"
https://www.theverge.com/2016/3/2/11140928/app-store-economy-apple-android-...

"Napster, Spotify and the Fall of the 'Middle-Class Musician"
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/move-fast-and-break-things-book-excerpt...

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 10, 2017 at 11:29:07 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Jul 11, 2017 at 12:12:26 am

[Scott Witthaus] "They trust me, as the editor, to choose the best tool for the job."

My clients trust me, too. However, I tend to work on gear and software owned by others. These are also projects touched by others. So compatibility is important. Right now I'm working a lot out of a shop where - between editors and others who can edit - there are probably 12 people who, at any given time, might touch any of the ongoing projects. Two of us know X and I know it a lot better than the other. We all know Premiere Pro. So it would be ludicrous for me to insist on X for my work there.

[Scott Witthaus] "Your choice or back to your clients?"

A bit of both - see the info above. I'm still 50/50 on the love/hate spectrum with X. In general, it's less and less useful to me these days, but I still use it when I feel it's the better tool. There are other reasons, too, that clients ask not to use X. They might be on PCs. They might be from out of town and take the project back home and are on Premiere. They might want compatibility with Photoshop animation effects or After Effects. They might need captioning. Of course, there are a few other clients who insist on Media Composer. I draw the line at using FCP "legacy", though :)

[Scott Witthaus] "Define "video". Broadcast TV? Corporate? Educational? Social? There is so much "video" out there. Is your definition based on a budget or ANY budget?"

All of the above. If anything, one-man bands pop up most in social. But, if you are a one-man band, you hope to grow. The minute you grow, you need to bring in collaborators. Video is a team sport. Plus there's a quality issue. I'm a strong editor and colorist, but I am also a pretty good producer and director. But clients don't employ me for my p/d skills. I can also shoot (rarely) and mix, but I'm not nearly as good at those as a specialist. Most of the successful one-man bands I see generally have a small team of collaborators. Almost no one who is worth a hoot truly does absolutely everything him or herself.

[Scott Witthaus] "because the 1-man/woman shop can compete on so many levels at an efficient cost and the large facilities can handle large jobs at an efficient cost"

Whenever I see companies go that route, it's for rock-bottom budgets. The results are often substandard and the next time around the client goes back with the established companies. The key for small companies is to be nimble and creative.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 10, 2017 at 3:13:52 pm

[Oliver Peters] "I don't see one-man bands as the future of video. I see a lot of reformulation, though. Large facilities failing, but also smaller shops growing. It's very different from market to market, making it hard to generalize.
"

I think one-man bands are probably quite a large proportion of the FCPX base, and every time I see my children watching Vloggers they're using it too.

I love that fact that it's enabling more people to get into content production whether for profit or not and to be honest there probably isn't a single person on here who's really in tune with what the "future of video" might be.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jul 7, 2017 at 1:48:05 pm

LOL. I saw that - I don't want the software to actually make edit choices for me! Just group my clips, throw them in a sequence and I'll take over from there. Basically - anything that removes or reduces the tedious parts of editing and gives me more time with the creative parts.

I should keep trying your method of dropping everything into a sequence and paring it down from there, instead of logging first then cutting.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Jul 7, 2017 at 4:51:36 pm

Bill I agree. There are some features/fixes that I want but not that many.

1. Loudness control to meet broadcast standards.
2. When selecting a range and ducking audio, keyframes need to be the same distance whither the range is long or short.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 8, 2017 at 11:05:07 am

[Brian Seegmiller] "Bill I agree. There are some features/fixes that I want but not that many."

I hope you don't mind my saying so but this to me seems like a curious phenomenon.

In common with I think most people, the more I like a piece of software the more I engage with thinking about ways that I'd like to see it improved. My interest in its future direction correlates directly with my interest in it in the first place.

FCP X seems to show an inverse correlation. The more you like it, the less you have an opinion about how you'd like to see it move forward.

I hope that's not unfair but on the evidence of this discussion it does seem to have some truth.

[Brian Seegmiller] "Loudness control to meet broadcast standards."

I can't help feeling that this is the kind of solution that is far better left to specialist third parties:

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/master-and-deliver/rx-loudness-control....

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Jul 8, 2017 at 3:42:07 pm

Yes I would love to see FCP X improve. Don't get me wrong. Some of the things on the lists that have been going around are great. I guess I have run into just a few things that I think need added or improved.

I think a lot of the more advanced features should be developed by third parties and here is why. When those features need to be updated, they can be updated faster. When left to the company of the NLE it might not even be a priority. Some features are half baked and we get by but wish it was better.

I agree Simon that the loudness control should be left to third parties, with that being said if it was already there that might be a selling point when we ask permission to use it. I don't have authority to make those decisions at work.

This looks like a good one:

https://www.klangfreund.com/lufsmeter/

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 8, 2017 at 9:11:39 pm

[Brian Seegmiller] "This looks like a good one:

https://www.klangfreund.com/lufsmeter/"

LUFSMeter is certainly a very decent budget solution. The reason I go with the Izotope Loudness Control (which is very far from cheap) is that unlike LUFSMeter which simply analyses the loudness and then applies a global level correction, Izotope uses its own exceptionally high quality intelligent dynamic signal processing to optimise the result.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 8, 2017 at 8:12:40 am

[Bill Davis] "Over and over I see these same types of lists.

95% are "I had this feature in something else - now please give it to me again, just inside X."

It's tiresome. "

Dang, Bill! Cranky and dismissive as ever! Who says there's nothing constant in the Universe!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 11, 2017 at 11:14:22 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Dang, Bill! Cranky and dismissive as ever! Who says there's nothing constant in the Universe!

"

If someone were to isolate just all OUR discussions over the past 10 years - there's your ipso facto evidence of "consistency" right there!

Be well. 😀

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jul 7, 2017 at 5:56:05 pm

I know someone else mentioned tracks. I would actually like to see those. I am serious and don't even think about calling me Shirley! In all honesty, why not video lanes? You can have all the titles and graphics in one with everything else in another.

Would like to see Baselight for FCP X. Resolve still has several things to iron out. What about a node based way of adding effects?

That is my list. Oh wait, we could have Tim Wilson show up to give us words of inspiration.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 7, 2017 at 7:51:37 pm

[David Mathis] " In all honesty, why not video lanes? You can have all the titles and graphics in one with everything else in another."

Because you would then have to come up with a system for compositing, like nodes or some sort of layer order descriptor that wouldn't necessarily follow the lanes (and would have to reorder when not in lane mode).

And then you'd have to describe the descriptor in FCPXML so that other programs wouldn't botch the layer order in layered track system.

Probably not impossible.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jul 8, 2017 at 5:36:25 am

Wow Bill, if some of those features that Oliver listed were implemented, more people might take X a little more seriously and more people might use X. Good thing no? A lot of those things, like timecode views and UI customizations and dupe detections are basic and would go a loooooong way.

There's gotta be something you wish X could do or did differently.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 11, 2017 at 11:04:29 pm

[Neil Goodman] "Wow Bill, if some of those features that Oliver listed were implemented, more people might take X a little more seriously and more people might use X. Good thing no? A lot of those things, like timecode views and UI customizations and dupe detections are basic and would go a loooooong way.

There's gotta be something you wish X could do or did differently."

Neil,

Of COURSE there are.

The issue for me is that there are 100 voices all asking for 5,000 things that are important to each of them. And I totally understand that there are many on that list that whole consituencies are looking for. And I truly hope they get them over time.

What I can't abide is thinking that Apple will start chasing all those things the "experienced" editors are focused on - and start trying to nibble away at those - and in doing so diminish the REAL potential progress that it represented by NEW THINKING and CREATIVITY. I don't want them to play SMALL BALL here. I want them to dream big.

THAT's the voice I want to be.

An advocate for Apple keeping focus on the BIG ideas. Lets be clear here - I'm the FIRST to admit I'm not qualified nor bright enough to conceive what that would be. I have the same exact constraints that I see in ALL the people arguing for dup detection or better keyframing - EVERYONE can see that. It's NOT transformational enough to be interesting. Plus, I don't have enough fundamental understanding of what's practical nor possible and what's imaginary and more trouble than it's worth. So I LEAVE that up to the people on the X team - because it's a team bespoke assembled to figure those types of things out.

I just argue for a constant focus on the MAGIC. In the midst of these lists of the prosaic.

There's NOTHING wrong with these sorts of lists. Just when they're posted, expect one voice over here in the corner arguing for something MORE than just what it's easy to identify and bitch about.

That's all.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 12, 2017 at 12:32:12 am

Because Apple adds a feature you don't use, but everyone else will use, including people who use X, Apple stands a chance to stop dreaming big?

I don't know, Bill. This is far fetched, even from you.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 12, 2017 at 7:07:50 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Because Apple adds a feature you don't use, but everyone else will use, including people who use X, Apple stands a chance to stop dreaming big?

I don't know, Bill. This is far fetched, even from you.
"

It's completely ridiculous. ALL software development is driven by input from users in some way.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 13, 2017 at 7:27:51 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Because Apple adds a feature you don't use, but everyone else will use, including people who use X, Apple stands a chance to stop dreaming big?

I don't know, Bill. This is far fetched, even from you."

Jeremy,

Nothing I say is ever going to preclude the CHANCE of anyone dreaming small, big or in-between.

It's a shift in the PRIORITY of dreaming big that I fear..

A difference WITH a distinction.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 13, 2017 at 9:59:42 pm

[Bill Davis] "
Nothing I say is ever going to preclude the CHANCE of anyone dreaming small, big or in-between.

It's a shift in the PRIORITY of dreaming big that I fear..
"

But how is that tied to adding features that people want and need?

Are you saying Apple shouldn't have added multicam or wrote a new XML language because it stifled development?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 14, 2017 at 2:01:26 am

Not at all. I'm simply saying that there are likely between 20,000 and a million users who can reasonably conceive that it would be cool for an new NLE to have stuff like "a mixer" or "multicam" or "match frames" they've had a decades to become accustomed to - and that focusing on THOSE types of things should be a priority.

There are just a rediculously small number of people in a position to conceive and implement something like in-NLE range based tagging, vertically magnetic timelines, or Roles.

One lots of companies can pull off.

The others? Extremely few.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jul 14, 2017 at 6:16:12 am

[Bill Davis] "Not at all. I'm simply saying that there are likely between 20,000 and a million users who can reasonably conceive that it would be cool for an new NLE to have stuff like "a mixer" or "multicam" or "match frames" they've had a decades to become accustomed to - and that focusing on THOSE types of things should be a priority.

There are just a rediculously small number of people in a position to conceive and implement something like in-NLE range based tagging, vertically magnetic timelines, or Roles.

One lots of companies can pull off.

The others? Extremely few."

I know you used FCPX since day. Having said that what good is ranged based tagging, magnetic timelines and roles if you do work for broadcast with closed captioning? Some things that have been around for 20 years are still needed for some people's workflow. What is the Apple counterpart for Adobe Story and how well does the metadata integrate with FCPX? How well does FCPX's counterpart for Adobe's Anywhere work for you? You may consider things like multi-cam or closed captioning small and trivial but for people that need those features for their work flow they might consider them more important than a magnetic timeline. For some Adobe's integration with AE is more important and perhaps more practical than the magnetic timeline. For others VR might be more important than a magnetic timeline. Apple should want to add as many features to help streamline all of the user's workflows (within reason). You should want and expect that from Apple as well.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jul 13, 2017 at 1:36:24 am

[Bill Davis] "What I can't abide is thinking that Apple will start chasing all those things the "experienced" editors are focused on - and start trying to nibble away at those - and in doing so diminish the REAL potential progress that it represented by NEW THINKING and CREATIVITY. I don't want them to play SMALL BALL here. I want them to dream big."

What exactly are you expecting from Apple? Other than a trackless editing paradigm how did Apple think big or creative? Fast Multimedia's/Pinnacle Liquid Edition gave us background rendering and GPU acceleration which was innovative at the time (also impressive at the Apple FCPX Keynote) but it did not stop the Liquid Edition users from making feature requests.

[Bill Davis] "THAT's the voice I want to be.

An advocate for Apple keeping focus on the BIG ideas. Lets be clear here - I'm the FIRST to admit I'm not qualified nor bright enough to conceive what that would be. I have the same exact constraints that I see in ALL the people arguing for dup detection or better keyframing - EVERYONE can see that. It's NOT transformational enough to be interesting."

If you don't find other people's request all that impressive could you please list the transformational features that impress you about FCPX?

[Bill Davis] "Plus, I don't have enough fundamental understanding of what's practical nor possible and what's imaginary and more trouble than it's worth."

Don't worry about what can or cannot be done. Just simply list something you would like to see added.

[Bill Davis] "So I LEAVE that up to the people on the X team - because it's a team bespoke assembled to figure those types of things out."

Like the awesome 3-D titling tool of FCPX?

[Bill Davis] "I just argue for a constant focus on the MAGIC. In the midst of these lists of the prosaic."

Perhaps what you see as Apple Magic I would consider a simple sleight of hand trick.

[Bill Davis] "There's NOTHING wrong with these sorts of lists. Just when they're posted, expect one voice over here in the corner arguing for something MORE than just what it's easy to identify and bitch about."

I think perhaps you used FCP and then moved to FCPX and never tried any other NLE. As long as FCP improves here and there you see it as the greatest thing since sliced bread. As I stated earlier I don't consider 3-D titles Magic. To me it is nothing more than a simple sleight of hand trick that would only impress those who are not in on the trick.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jul 8, 2017 at 11:55:00 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Because you would then have to come up with a system for compositing, like nodes or some sort of layer order descriptor that wouldn't necessarily follow the lanes (and would have to reorder when not in lane mode)."

You could do it with compound clips, or Apple could implement a "composite clip" that would act like a container where you can stack clips and control the layer order, but only the container receives the video role. Ideally you would be able to collapse the composite down so it looks like one clip in the timeline, but double clicking it (or some other command) expands it open in the timeline so you can make changes to it in context, then collapse it back down to keep your timeline tidy.

If you're familiar with Collapse Tracks in Avid - like that, but with a video role assigned to the collapsed submaster.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 8, 2017 at 1:48:34 pm

[Michael Hancock] "You could do it with compound clips, or Apple could implement a "composite clip" that would act like a container where you can stack clips and control the layer order, but only the container receives the video role. "

Maybe. But what happens if you are in video lane mode when you open the compound clip, and the layer order is wrong? The nice thing about audio lanes is that you can reorder at will and doesn't effect playback. This would be much more tricky for video because stacking order is obviously much more dependent on the composite.

With video, you may need interaction between different Roles at different points that would not apply to the entire Role, so compound clips would work sometimes but not others. I think there could be video lanes, but perhaps they aren't Role dependent, just spatially dependent.

What I would like to see is simple kb shortcuts to move a clip up or down in stacking order (move to top, or move to bottom, or move up/down) so that it would make adjusting the stack a little more precise and quick and still fit within the magnetic timeline paradi .... format.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 8, 2017 at 2:04:02 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "What I would like to see is simple kb shortcuts to move a clip up or down in stacking order (move to top, or move to bottom, or move up/down) so that it would make adjusting the stack a little more precise and quick and still fit within the magnetic timeline paradi .... format."

^ This.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jul 8, 2017 at 2:40:16 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Maybe. But what happens if you are in video lane mode when you open the compound clip, and the layer order is wrong? "

Video lanes wouldn't be in effect inside the composite/compound clip. It would have to have special status. If you broke it completely apart then the clips event roles would dictate where they end up, but inside the collapsed clip Video Lanes wouldn't be able to exist.

[Jeremy Garchow] " I think there could be video lanes, but perhaps they aren't Role dependent, just spatially dependent. "

So........tracks. ☺

[Jeremy Garchow] "What I would like to see is simple kb shortcuts to move a clip up or down in stacking order (move to top, or move to bottom, or move up/down) so that it would make adjusting the stack a little more precise and quick and still fit within the magnetic timeline paradi .... format."

YES! +1 to this!

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 8, 2017 at 3:50:50 pm

[Michael Hancock] "So........tracks. ☺"

No, not tracks, but a form there of, just like audio lanes now, but without the Role reordering, but still keeping the magnetic qualities, and the ability to turn it off and on.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jul 8, 2017 at 11:48:04 am

1. Sort out AV-output. It's useless in it's current state and renders the app useless for us in many regards.

2. Sort out external file support including. Media Managment has been a pain in the neck when dealing with VFX-work reliant on external apps, batch export is a major lack luster and more. If an external app alters a file FCPX start crying like crazy.

3. Editing / media control. Yes I know FCPX is doing its own thing but they should try to adapt things for other systems so it's not like taking vacation on Mars. It's really hard to get and overview of things like media time code. It's virtually impossible to work with video tracks. Lanes for audio sorted a lot of things there - give video something similar.

4. More native formats support. We view a lot of masters going to broadcast on reference monitors which means playback of MPEG2 (.m2v and .ts) are a must for example.

My point of view is more using FCPX as an online / finishing system. In it's current state that hard or impossible - given - there are a lot of impressive things there. The video engine is crazy good (except AV-output) and a lot of "how things work" are simpler / smarter made.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 8, 2017 at 3:15:21 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Jul 8, 2017 at 3:51:54 pm

There's already stellar lists on here, but here's my rehashed short list of day to day operations.

- Tabbed (or whatever) Projects. When working on campaigns that share elements it would be nice to be able to more easily copy/paste from Project to Project, and when making different versions (for different /channels/outlets/languages/regions) sometimes it's not practical to make compounds.

- Batch Export. Let me select 12 Projects and export them all at once. One by one is tedious and prone to error.

- Ability to slip audio out of sync from video. Again, creating compounds for this is too much hassle, and adding another instance of audio to the timeline is fine, but it could be better if we could just slip some audio.

- Some sort of TC HUD. Copy and paste timecode is a very welcome addition, but a birds eye view of tc would help a lot.

- More keyboard editing with secondaries, or at least the ability to select the "shelf" of secondaries.

- Simple kb shortcuts to move a clip up or down in stacking order (move to top, or move to bottom, or move up/down) so that it would make adjusting the stack a little more precise and quick and still fit within the magnetic timeline format.

- Keyboard selection of inspector tabs (Video, Audio, Info). The cycle tab command is pretty unreliable, and I'd love to be able to have the cursor anywhere and then hit a button for info our audio tab, and if the inspector is not open, open it.

- A keyboard shortcut to mute/disable audio in the inspector, not just by turning the clip down to zero.

- A way to mute/disable video in a clip without turning the opacity down.

- Drag and drop Role assignment on import (not using import window)

- If that's not possible, then let me leave MXF files in place within the Import window without rewrap to .mov

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Jul 13, 2017 at 10:48:17 pm

[Jeramy Garchow] - A way to mute/disable video in a clip without turning the opacity down.

The "v" key will disable a clip.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 14, 2017 at 12:40:47 am

[Brian Seegmiller] "The "v" key will disable a clip."

Yes the whole clip. I want to disable video only.

Return to posts index

Misha Aranyshev
on Jul 10, 2017 at 7:06:14 am

Replace on Playhead.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 10, 2017 at 4:24:17 pm

I'm Johnny one-note on this, but it's important to me, and though it's not "sexy", I think it should be important to everyone.

Captioning.

It needs to be easier to do open or closed-captions for broadcast or DVD/web work, and I mean not just getting the text in there and lined up, but also, automated transcription from the audio track. The future of video, whatever frame size, shape, or codec, is making the audio keyword-searchable. It's not just for the deaf, but for everyone.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 11, 2017 at 5:28:23 pm

It's a weird feeling where you need to do sub-par work in order to survive because you audience is okay with sub-par and won't support anything better.

This. All day.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jul 11, 2017 at 9:36:17 pm

[Mark Suszko] "This. All day."

I'll never forget when a producer came in while we were editing some event coverage (so speed was paramount) and said, "I know you guys take pride in your work, but this just needs to be D+ work. We've got to get it out."

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 11, 2017 at 10:49:51 pm

I know this runs counter to the prevailing sentiment - but it's there result of something that happened just a week ago.

There was a pretty big fire in my neighborhood. One street over a house had an electrical fire.

The smoke was seen all over the area.

My son ran in and told us there was a fire - so I went to look. Had my iPhone 7+ and since I was able to get there close, fast - I shot some fire coverage.

Came home and rough edited it. And called a friend who up to a year ago, was a news producer at a local network affiliate and presuming she'd like to turn her station mates onto some decent fire coverage - gave her the link: She popped back with a "i'll alert the station" email.

I did a package of raw footage for the station to use and a :30 highlights thing - expecting an email.

Crickets. At 5 and 6pm the stations in the area ran 10 seconds with helicopter broad shots and that was it.

Yes, nobody died.

But I realized looking back that there are circumstances where quality SIMPLY doesn't matter any more. What matters is businesses working in their EXPECTED pre-set system. Fire? Is Helicopter available? Can we get a clip? Write a blurb for the anchor - roll it - and move on.

THAT is where we are today.

Nobody has time for perfection for anything but VERY long tail - long value content crafted and presumed to create a return over years, not months or days. And IMO, that's getting tougher and tougher. When was the last time you paid to watch a Movie that was popular more than 2-3 years ago? And put another way - how many OPTIONS did you REJECT and not pay - along the way towards any of those that you actually watched?

Content is churning at a blistering pace. Finding a reason for someone to click on YOUR content is crazy difficult already - and willl be more and more so as every day passes.

It's a new era. And the old rules work less and less.

My 2 cents.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jul 12, 2017 at 3:05:04 am

[Bill Davis] "But I realized looking back that there are circumstances where quality SIMPLY doesn't matter any more. What matters is businesses working in their EXPECTED pre-set system."

Maybe it was just quicker/easier for the station to go with their bird in the air as opposed to approving, paying for, and licensing your footage? I still see stringer courtesy bugs on the local news so if your footage had been the only footage available they probably would've taken it.

But on the general topic of quality... news and other shows that rely on real life footage tend to be less concerned about quality the more unique the footage is. From the Zapruder film to grainy, 15fps convenience store security cameras to World's Scariest Police Chases to America's Funniest Home Videos, there have always been exceptions to the 'broadcast quality' barrier.

[Bill Davis] "When was the last time you paid to watch a Movie that was popular more than 2-3 years ago? And put another way - how many OPTIONS did you REJECT and not pay - along the way towards any of those that you actually watched? "

Any time someone pays for a subscription service (Netflix, cable/sat, Amazon, HBO GO, etc.,) they are paying for old movies and TV shows (and probably not watching the vast majority of them).

Discovery and monetization are certainly the problems of the day which is why inexpensive tools and free self-distribution options aren't as much of a boon as they seem to be at first blush.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 12, 2017 at 12:19:42 am

"it's better than good - It's finished".

Now, DGMW, this is 180 degrees from my personal POV. But a lot of what I see in the news biz is like that. It used to be that time was the major driver in how you acquired and presented stories. While that remains a factor, the overriding factor now is cost and ROI.

You see it in cable news a lot, where they always prefer a satellite studio shot of somebody in a chair talking, to going out with a crew and developing a story on location.

I see it in local news coverage where the cameraman "covers" an event by showing up before it happens, grabbing 3 minutes of interview with one of the principals, spraying the first three minutes of the event for wide shots and cut-aways, with just his shotgun for wild audio, (even though there is a mult feeding quality sound from the podium or whatever) and bailing to go to his next assignment. Whatever happened or was said after the first three minutes, you'll never know. That night you'll get a minute thirty composed of b-roll with voice-over and one, fifteen-second quote pulled from that three minutes of interview. That's "news" coverage now. Feel informed?

What grinds my gears even harder is video for the web with crap audio, no camera framing and no editing, and no lighting, .... not because they couldn't afford it, but because the decision-maker thinks the lack of artifice ( a word they don't actually know) adds "authenticity" and the appeal of innocence. Please. And they justify it by saying: "it's just for You Tube". "Just" ... as if twenty-five and a half million subscribers is nothing, because you don't watch this on a TV with an antenna?

I'm out of time, gotta go yell at clouds and get a new onion to tie on my belt.

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Jul 14, 2017 at 5:15:53 am

[Mark Suszko] "That night you'll get a minute thirty composed of b-roll with voice-over and one, fifteen-second quote pulled from that three minutes of interview. "

The producer will rewrite the story to make it longer and fill more time. The editor will then take the 15 seconds of VO used earlier that day, and loop it seven or eight times.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]