FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cutting to music requires gap as primary storyline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tangier Clarke
Cutting to music requires gap as primary storyline?
on Jul 7, 2011 at 9:29:24 pm

I haven't figured out (working on an edit) how to lock a music track so I can cut to it except for making my entire main storyline a gap and all of my shots are the connected clips to the gap (as is the music track at the beginning). If I have clips on my main storyline, bring in an audio track forces me (it seems) to connect the audio to a main storyline clip which presents a problem as I edit and clips get shuffled around. Therefore I used a gap for the entire edit/storyline to make sure my music stays in place since the gap isn't going anywhere.

Does this makes sense and has anyone found a simpler alternative that I am missing?

Tangier

Return to posts index

alban egger
Re: Cutting to music requires gap as primary storyline?
on Jul 7, 2011 at 9:32:14 pm

You can make a black frame or gap in the beginning, just a few frames. Then connect the music to it. It will be locked. Now you can use the primary timeline.

Or you put the music in the primary timelone and add only connected clips to it.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jul 7, 2011 at 9:35:19 pm

Genius! I didn't consider the audio in the main storyline like that. I guess my brain still wants dedicated audio track.

Thanks.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jul 7, 2011 at 9:39:17 pm

ive been throwing a few interviews in FCPx that are heavily structured around music, and using the music in the Primary Storyline has been the way to go, although having to turn everything into a Secondary Storyline is a pain if you want to add transistions

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jul 7, 2011 at 9:47:06 pm

Hmmm. That's no good. I'll have to go back to my original method then due to issues wit the dissolves or transition on the secondary storyline, or use Alban's method.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jul 7, 2011 at 11:01:08 pm

[Tangier Clarke] "I'll have to go back to my original method then due to issues wit the dissolves or transition on the secondary storyline,"

you have to create a group to use transitions on anything that isn't the primary storyline (cmmd+G)

-mattyc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]