FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT - Apple XServe

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Santiago
OT - Apple XServe
on Jun 8, 2017 at 10:44:10 am

Our XServe had to be shut down for a UPS change.

Booted up with the folder icon flashing.

Haven't figured out what to do yet with that but my off topic question is, what are you folks doing as far as Apple Servers go?

We have a slew of older RAID XLs from G-TECH and a Apple XServe RAID via fibre hub.

We only do file system no mail etc...

Any tips would be helpful.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: OT - Apple XServe
on Jun 8, 2017 at 2:40:14 pm

Are you asking where to get it repaired or what to replace it with?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 8, 2017 at 9:58:30 pm

Eric -
absolutely everything works today. There is no need for fiber channel, XSAN, or any specialty hardware, especially now that SMB is supported for FCP X 10.3 You can use anything - QNAP, Synology, Lumaforge Jellyfish - they all work.
And so does everything else. Simply say GO> Connect To Server, and write your FCP X libraries to your hearts content.
Are you disappointed that things are no longer complicated and no longer need a Metadata server ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 9, 2017 at 3:39:25 am

Thanks Bob for that reply ☺

I never even thought of it that way.
Still stuck in the past at my day job.
I guess with the Macs on a network, the fiber doesn't really do much, does it?
The options mentioned all have some sort of filing system that we can manage correct?
I will start researching them.

Thanks Noah for replying.
I think at this point we are ready to let go of the XServe as well as the RAIDs.
We've had that combo for over 9 years and got a lot out of the initial cost.

I will look into the options Bob mentioned.

Does anyone have any favorites?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 9, 2017 at 6:09:28 am

Yep- Symply, Lumaforge, Panasas, Isilon, QNAP- you name it. There's a product that will fit your price point and use case.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Jun 9, 2017 at 4:36:59 am

First thing I would do (if you haven't yet) would be the parameter RAM reset. At boot, hold down +P+R.

Otherwise, it sounds like the system drive went bye-bye.

Also, take that system drive from the Xserve and see if is readable on another system. I don't even know what the Xserve has... ATA? SATA?

Like Bob says, it's old tech. If you have to get it running to keep going, good luck, but the new stuff should be much better.

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Jun 9, 2017 at 7:50:39 am

You mention that your Xserve is 9 years old. That would mean (from Everymac) that its probably a Quad Core Xeon 2.8 GHz. Unless you got a CTO Dual Quad.
These shipped with 2 GB RAM and a 80 GB SATA drive. Folder icon means the boot drive has failed. 9 years is a long time for a drive to have run so you're lucky.
If you need to keep it running you could consider swapping the SATA drive out for a 128 or 256 GB SATA SSD. Hopefully an SSD will work in an Xserve.
Installing the OS will be a challenge. It shipped with MacOS 10.5 (feline name I've forgotten) and the last OS supported would be 10.7.x. But if the DVD drive is working and you have the disks, you could still load the OS.

But sooner or later something else will fail and you'll be back to square 1.

To keep your SAN running you could consider swapping out the Xserve for a Mac mini and keep the FC cards in a Thunderbolt-PCIe expansion box.

But this is all complicated and you'll at most get another 2-3 years before something else breaks.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 9, 2017 at 11:38:33 am

Thanks, Neil and Scott.

I have tried all the options to get that bugger running.
That old workhorse deserves a decent burial and I would not bother to upgrade it.
It has seen many RAIDs go bye bye and stood on its head till last week.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I am digging these new NAS options.
Last question. I'm in a 12 person Mac environment as well as 6 PCs (Maya host/render).
We hit that XServe daily and wondering which of the above options can match or do better for file serving.

Again thanks, everyone :)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 9, 2017 at 12:04:26 pm

12 workstations and 6 Maya - what can do better than the Xserve -
simple answer -
EVERYTHING - every modern product, can outperform your Xserve. There is no wrong choice.
The ONLY wrong choice is to try to keep your dinosaur alive.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 9, 2017 at 2:12:23 pm

Haha thanks, Bob man you just say it like it is ☺

Another question.
My department is sitting on a larger network with corporate IT support.
One option was to use their NAS system which is solely PC based.
We would be hitting that system hard which is shared with the rest of the corporation.
Would we benefit having our own but still on the same network?
Cost isn't the issue just wondering which direction is best.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 9, 2017 at 3:22:17 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Jun 9, 2017 at 3:23:12 pm

Eric- I would highly recommend a separate system for regular corporate IT use vs. your very important and time-sensitive media use. Performance, security, and data integrity would all be much improved. And shameless plug: if you want a little assistance putting the right system together please drop me (or Bob) a line: noah at fcpworks dot com

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 10, 2017 at 4:15:22 pm

Hi Eric -
your corporate IT department? While I have ranted about this type of solution for years on the forums (insulting everyone along the way) - because I still observe this happening (and always failing) - I can only ask one question to those that attempt to do it.
Why don't you (the IT department) go to a video trade show to see what is out there? Why don't you (not you Eric, the IT department) study products like LumaForge, Facilis, EditShare, GB Labs, Apace, QNAP, Synology, AVID, etc. Why must your solution be a Windows 2012 Server with a Cisco switch on a 1G network ? Why is this the only thing you know, and why do you "poo poo" any other type of solution? Why do you think that all of these companies exist ? How come companies like Dell and HP and Cisco are not wiping the floor with these "professional video solutions". There is one simple reason - THEY DONT WORK, and the brain surgeons running these IT departments would rather fail, than to study these systems, and try to figure out why they work, and why their Dell/Cisco solution does not work.

I hope that answers the question. There are a lot of wonderful solutions out there. But if your IT team things that they are just going to plug you into the office 1G network - well, you are all in for a very big surprise, and it won't be a good one.

bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 10, 2017 at 7:51:27 pm

And how many IT departments are running G Suite vs a local server at all at this point.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 11, 2017 at 10:22:36 pm

Thanks again Bob/Noah for the tips.

I had a meeting with the IT dept and they wouldn't touch our dept with a ten-foot pole.
I am glad, I would rather deal with this my own way.
It's a race between the QNAP and Synology.
IT did suggest the HPE StoreEasy but not sold on that.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 12, 2017 at 1:15:42 am

Think the performance and FCPX specific tuning of the Lumaforge Jellyfish merit a second look over the others which are more agnostic in terms of FCPX/Mac-specific performance.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 12, 2017 at 2:57:44 pm

QNAP, Synology and Lumaforge are all excellent choices for your applications. When you mentioned HPE Storeasy, it makes me want to contact your President, and insist that your IT team become familiar with some new technology - ANY new technology, as long as its not Server 2012. And if they refuse, they should be fired.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 12, 2017 at 3:47:24 pm

Bad IT can be like Lyme disease. Very challenging to remove and highly infectious to your org over time.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 23, 2017 at 3:56:43 am

Thanks again for all your help.

We ordered the Synology RS815+ and RX415 loaded with WD Red 6TB drives.

Can't wait to work with these :)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 27, 2017 at 4:20:56 pm

Eric, Eric -
the Synology 815+ is only a 4 bay, and there is no 10G ports on this - only four 1G ports.
There is no PCIe slot for a 10G card.
This unit will not perform as well as your old Xserve. Who advised you on this model ?

If you were going with Synology, and wanted an Xserve replacement, the correct product would have
been the RS18017xs+ with an optional 10G card, that would feed a 10G switch.

I feel that you will be disappointed with your purchase.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 27, 2017 at 4:56:12 pm

Thanks Bob for your input.
I will take this into consideration.
Unfortunately, it comes down to the current budget.
I will check that model asap.
The purchase went out to tender and I can easily put it on hold.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]