FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is Color being discontinued with the release of FCP X?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paul broughton
Is Color being discontinued with the release of FCP X?
on Jul 7, 2011 at 7:31:57 pm

I was planning to go on a color course within the next couple of months. After reading a recent article on this site am I to believe that Apple has terminated all the Apps that came in Final Cut Studio in the advent of FCP X? If so is it still worth doing a color course or are they planning to bring out new versions of Color, Soundtrack Pro etc?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Is Color being discontinued with the release of FCP X?
on Jul 7, 2011 at 7:36:48 pm

Cancel your plans. Don't take the course. Save your money. And don't hold your breath waiting for Apple to talk about its plans for color grading software.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 7, 2011 at 7:41:23 pm

Learn DaVinci Resolve instead.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 7, 2011 at 7:52:39 pm

From what I read, Color and DVD Studio Pro were specifically identified as EOL.

$995 is an amazing price for one of the industry's most respected products, but since DaVinci Resolve Lite is free, no excuse not to try it. The main thing "lite" about it is that it's limited to HD, but hey, Avatar was shot at 1920x1080, so don't let that freak you out.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 8, 2011 at 3:01:20 am

[Tim Wilson] "DaVinci Resolve Lite is free, no excuse not to try it. The main thing "lite" about it is that it's limited to HD"

I think the main "lite" limitation is that Resolve Lite offers only two grading nodes. Back to your point, you can certainly use it to learn Resolve -- but it won't have anywhere near the flexibility that the full version of Resolve offers with unlimited nodes.

The COW has a really great DaVinci forum [link], with plenty of activity and regularly contributions from some experienced and knowledgeable users as well as BMD employees.

For all-FCP workflows, the Baselight FCP plugin should be very interesting, too.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jul 8, 2011 at 5:35:52 am

[Tim Wilson] "From what I read, Color and DVD Studio Pro were specifically identified as EOL."

From where I stand, this is the most egregious and most underhanded card Apple played here. Not informing their users or even simply informing us on the potential of this move completely ripped the fabric of trust. I just went through enormous expense setting up the tools necessary and training towards Color in the last year, thousands of my own personal expense, with no indication this year that this was the game plan. I've been told by a certain blogger here my feelings on the matter were that Apple "wronged me", which of course I take considerable exception to. They didn't wrong me, they misled us on every level.

The irony of it all is, I tried to move towards DaVinci before going down the Color road simply because I had a feeling that Apple would pull the rug out from under us with this release (given their history), but my *feelings* couldn't trump the workflow most others I would be working with built around Apple over the years who were also now sadly misled....killing this stinks more than any other in the Studio package...

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 8, 2011 at 5:57:57 am

And yet Color still reads XMLs from FCS3 and potentially Premiere Pro. PP can read exported xml grades so there is still a solid pathway. FCP X has promised XML export so Color may be stranded but still very useful for years.

I have a transition plan to da Vinci but Color is my main tool for at least six months as I am mid series on a previous FCS2 originated project.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jul 8, 2011 at 6:16:21 am

[Michael Gissing] "And yet Color still reads XMLs from FCS3 "

ugh...

Does this really need to be argued? It's really tired and getting old...honestly...

I really want to get an answer to this question. I'm sorry to get prickly, but this patronizing crap really needs to end...

When you wrote this, did you actually think I thought otherwise? Did you actually think, gee, he might not know he can still use it...or were you just looking for the path of least resistance to just simply argue...

Good god. How many times does this argument need to highlighted....It's like a robotic response here. Is there no respect for each other's intelligence here....?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 8, 2011 at 6:22:02 am

I don't know you from a bar of soap Jamie so I have no idea what you do and don't know. Apologies if it seems patronizing.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jul 8, 2011 at 6:32:05 am

No worries. And again, sorry to get prickly, it's just the automatic verbatim response to nothing pertaining to the complaints levied. It's just the easiest argument to make to me, as it pretty much goes without saying and hoped would die on the first day...but it's stuck, and won't die, and amounts to white noise to my eyes...

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 7, 2011 at 7:53:24 pm

It's dead. Confirmed last night in London.

Learn Davinci instead. No point learning Color unless its for your own use on an upcoming project.

Return to posts index

paul broughton
on Jul 7, 2011 at 8:11:30 pm

Thanks for all the advice. The more I read the more I feel like the rug has been pulled from beneath me by apple.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 7, 2011 at 8:25:09 pm

[paul broughton] "The more I read the more I feel like the rug has been pulled from beneath me by apple."

You and about two million others, sir.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Owen Wexler
on Jul 7, 2011 at 10:16:19 pm

Yes, Color is dead, unfortunately. If you are going to learn a color grading app, learn DaVinci Resolve, that will be the new standard. I'm a Color'ist planning a move to Resolve at the moment also.

Cinematographer - Editor - Motion Graphics Artist - Colorist

http://www.owenbwexler.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 8, 2011 at 12:21:10 pm

What's the focus of the class? If it's extremely specific to Apple Color, you might not get much out of it for the future.

If it's an introduction to color grading, using Apple Color as the platform, most of what you'll learn will easily transfer to other systems like Resolve.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]