FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final nail in FCP 7s coffin?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al LeVine
Final nail in FCP 7s coffin?
on Jun 7, 2017 at 1:32:26 pm

During its Platform State of the Union keynote at the Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple told developers that macOS High Sierra will be the "last macOS release to support 32-bit apps without compromises."
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/06/apple-to-phase-out-32-bit-mac-apps/

FCP7, which is 32 bit, STILL runs on Sierra, and a handful of shows and post houses still use the software. Seems like Apple will stop silently supporting our old (rotting) friend in 2018.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Final nail in FCP 7s coffin?
on Jun 7, 2017 at 3:04:37 pm

[Al LeVine] "FCP7, which is 32 bit, STILL runs on Sierra, and a handful of shows and post houses still use the software. Seems like Apple will stop silently supporting our old (rotting) friend in 2018.
"

Not a bad run at all, it's probably a good time to say goodbye

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jun 7, 2017 at 5:29:25 pm

[Al LeVine] "Seems like Apple will stop silently supporting our old (rotting) friend in 2018."

With the beta, at first…

… oh the irony! 😂

After that: crash.

But let's be real. Anyone running 7 neither needs nor is even vaguely interested in running the latest and greatest in OS. At least I can't think of much more of a hilarious contradiction. So I'd say it's a non-issue. Everyone else can keep an LC III lying around. 😏

- RK

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jun 7, 2017 at 5:43:09 pm

I don't cut with it anymore, I just don't want to get rid of my disks. They cost me $1200.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 7, 2017 at 5:52:45 pm

[Andy Neil] "I don't cut with it anymore, I just don't want to get rid of my disks. They cost me $1200.

Andy
"

Frame them, hang them on the wall and call it art?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 7, 2017 at 5:57:27 pm

As code signing did not exist the last time FCP7 was updated, it's no surprise it hits Gatekeeper's default security settings. Can't imagine anyone still cutting in 7 really expects to it to keep working with new OS updates forever. Then again, time-frozen OS's are the norm throughout much of Avid land so there's always that option.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 7, 2017 at 6:11:15 pm

Only dead to those who want to use it on current machines or with the current OS. I still have a MacPro tower running 10.6.8 and FCP7 and FCS apps, because I have a few clients who still use FCP 7. A lot of people have the mentality "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" or "If it still suits my needs, still use it." Sure, when they need to use more current cameras, they might switch, but for the time being, it works for them so they still use it.

I saw a game retailer using a computer and software for sales that I USED when I worked at a video store over 25 years ago. Still works, so why not? And my auto mechanic is running his invoicing software off a PowerMac 9600 that at one time housed an Avid and was on the WB lot...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 7, 2017 at 6:26:21 pm

As a proud retro gamer I couldn't agree more.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jun 8, 2017 at 5:35:27 pm

[Noah Kadner] "As code signing did not exist the last time FCP7 was updated"

Yeah, I know. I just found it amusing. 😬

- RK

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 7, 2017 at 7:58:01 pm

I was thinking more of a miniature museum. Of course you could try to display those shiny discs in an antique store much like they did with those clunky computers and big box monitors like in Back To The Future II.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jun 7, 2017 at 7:05:03 pm

[Andy Neil] "They cost me $1200."

When did FCS ever cost $1200?? I only remember $999.

But I feel the same about my CoSA After Effects disks. A full TWO of them and a good ol' box. 😄

- RK

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 7, 2017 at 9:34:15 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "When did FCS ever cost $1200?? I only remember $999."

It was $1299 from the first Production Suite (2004) through Final Cut Studio 2. FCS 3 was the only bundle to have the $999 price point. At least here in the States (not sure what overseas pricing was).

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 13, 2017 at 8:09:07 pm

"sunk-costs fallacy": i.e. "I spent a grand on this ten years ago, and by jingo, I'm going to use it until they pry it from my stiff hands".

Another take on that is, a grand divided into ten years equals a hundo per year. The cost of a great steak dinner for two. FCP7 is/was an incredible value for the price, one that we may never see again. But time relentlessly moves forward, and even I am saving up to replace seven on my home machine running sierra, since Sierra broke DVDSP and my old Motion3. If I spend $300 on FCPX and another $50 for new Motion, plus say, 100 bucks worth of plug-ins, and it lasts me only three years, I'm still way ahead on the value proposition.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]