FORUMS: list search recent posts

Well, THIS should kickstart a few discussions soon...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
Well, THIS should kickstart a few discussions soon...
on May 22, 2017 at 7:09:28 pm

Off the Tracks
A Documentary about the FCP X Launch coming soon.

; )

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
Re: Well, THIS should kickstart a few discussions soon...
on May 22, 2017 at 7:22:35 pm

[Bill Davis] "Off the Tracks
A Documentary about the FCP X Launch coming soon."

Nice trailer, this looks interesting. Are you in the movie too, Bill?

Shawn

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 22, 2017 at 8:04:50 pm

In an EXTREMELY minor way. (from watching a brief advanced TEASER screening at NAB.)
(Plus editing is on-going - so ending up on the cutting room floor is probably still a very distinct possibility.)

The fascinating thing to me was how really good the footage looks. Bradley was shooting with a simple BlackMagic production camera (at least for the interviews I was around at the Creative Summit last fall) and even projected very large, the footage looked REALLY good.

The production industry certainly has evolved massively regarding access to tools since the days back when I had to ship in Mitchell cameras from LA to Phoenix just to shoot my early commercials.

Amazing really.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on May 22, 2017 at 8:32:24 pm

[Bill Davis] "In an EXTREMELY minor way. (from watching a brief advanced TEASER screening at NAB.)
(Plus editing is on-going - so ending up on the cutting room floor is probably still a very distinct possibility.)

The fascinating thing to me was how really good the footage looks. Bradley was shooting with a simple BlackMagic production camera (at least for the interviews I was around at the Creative Summit last fall) and even projected very large, the footage looked REALLY good.

The production industry certainly has evolved massively regarding access to tools since the days back when I had to ship in Mitchell cameras from LA to Phoenix just to shoot my early commercials.

Amazing really."

Ah, I see. I will still keep an eye out for you and Charlie though! Completely agree about the Blackmagic Production camera, it produces fantastic images - the fact that you can buy a 4k, 10/12bit camera that shoots in Prores or CinemaDNG for $3,000 is still just mind blowing to me. The tools we have access to today are simply amazing.

Shawn

Return to posts index

greg janza
on May 23, 2017 at 3:49:29 am

Alex Gollner in the trailer: "If you're a storyteller, it doesn't matter what software you use." Alex kinda says it all. It's a non-issue.

Adobe Premiere 2017.1
Windows 10 Pro
Samsung SSD 850 EVO system
Samsung SSD 850 EVO Adobe cache
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
OWC Thunderbay 12t x 2 in Raid10 configuration (thru Storage Spaces and Disk Management)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 23, 2017 at 3:55:08 am
Last Edited By Bill Davis on May 23, 2017 at 4:06:56 am

Of course it doesn't effect your "ability" to tell a story.

He didn't say, however, it might not effect your efficiency.

😊

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 23, 2017 at 11:01:36 am

[greg janza] "Alex Gollner in the trailer: "If you're a storyteller, it doesn't matter what software you use." Alex kinda says it all. It's a non-issue.

Actually that makes no sense because it is demonstrably false. What makes sense is .."it doesn't matter what software YOU CHOOSE to use" makes perfect sense. In my case I was using FCP7 & Color to grade and finish. X didn't and still doesn't do that job. Resolve does so that is what I choose to use.

Overall I have to say that this doco may be interesting from this trailer or it may be self indulgent justification. If it bothers to cover a fraction of the complexity of the arguments that have been thrashed out on this forum then it will probably still only be of interest to the usual suspects that frequent this forum.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 23, 2017 at 1:13:04 pm

[Michael Gissing] "Color to grade and finish"

RIP. Boy, how I miss Color. A really missed opportunity on Apple's part.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 23, 2017 at 4:57:17 pm

[Oliver Peters] "RIP. Boy, how I miss Color. A really missed opportunity on Apple's part."

Oliver, with I'm curious. What do you miss about Color vs. other current color solutions?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 23, 2017 at 5:53:14 pm

[Walter Soyka] "What do you miss about Color vs. other current color solutions?"

I just like its layout better than Resolve's, although Resolve is more powerful if you need power windows. Color layers for timeline corrections also made it fast to go through a series of clips. However, my point was that Apple killed it for no apparent reason, without integrating much if anything into X (except maybe under the hood). There's no reason they couldn't have done with X and Color what BMD has done with Resolve (no roundtripping).

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 23, 2017 at 6:28:45 pm

[Oliver Peters] "I just like its layout better than Resolve's, although Resolve is more powerful if you need power windows. Color layers for timeline corrections also made it fast to go through a series of clips. However, my point was that Apple killed it for no apparent reason, without integrating much if anything into X (except maybe under the hood). There's no reason they couldn't have done with X and Color what BMD has done with Resolve (no roundtripping)."

I feel similarly about SpeedGrade. While I really like the simple, accessible way that Adobe integrated Lumetri into Premiere, I thought there was a lot in SpeedGrade that was pretty clever, and it's a pity to have lost so much of that toolset.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 23, 2017 at 3:23:35 pm

I loved the line from Steve!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 23, 2017 at 3:36:22 pm

Looking forward to seeing this

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 24, 2017 at 12:08:50 am

I think an opportunity was missed by not having alcohol soaked rantings from Aindreas in this trailer.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on May 24, 2017 at 12:53:15 pm

[John Pale] "I think an opportunity was missed by not having alcohol soaked rantings from Aindreas in this trailer."

That might make me actually want to watch it! That's not to say it's not a well done piece, I just find it a bit myopic to spend my time watching a documentary about an editing application.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on May 24, 2017 at 7:37:29 pm

[Brett Sherman] "That might make me actually want to watch it! That's not to say it's not a well done piece, I just find it a bit myopic to spend my time watching a documentary about an editing application."

The movie seems OK but I am waiting for the release of the comic book and action figure play set. I plan on using them as stocking stuffers for my nieces and nephews.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 24, 2017 at 8:22:45 pm

[Brett Sherman] "I just find it a bit myopic to spend my time watching a documentary about an editing application"

Sure. But I might have thought watching a documentary about a musician that released one quite un-successful album in the 1960s then sank into obscurity for nearly the rest of his life, would be dull too.

Turned out "Searching for Sugarman" was positively brilliant. IMO Oscar brilliant in the end.

So it's kinda hard to pre-judge this stuff until the work actually sees the light of day.

🙂

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on May 24, 2017 at 9:01:37 pm

[Bill Davis] "[Brett Sherman] "I just find it a bit myopic to spend my time watching a documentary about an editing application"

Sure. But I might have thought watching a documentary about a musician that released one quite un-successful album in the 1960s then sank into obscurity for nearly the rest of his life, would be dull too.

Turned out "Searching for Sugarman" was positively brilliant. IMO Oscar brilliant in the end.

So it's kinda hard to pre-judge this stuff until the work actually sees the light of day."

Would you want to watch a documentary about Premiere Pro, Avid or Newtek? I think the Newtek documentary might prove to be the most interesting followed by Avid.

Long live the Video Toaster.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]