FORUMS: list search recent posts

Essential Graphics vs Motion Templates

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Austin
Essential Graphics vs Motion Templates
on May 21, 2017 at 9:15:52 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on May 21, 2017 at 9:17:02 pm

The new Essential Graphics Panel in Premiere is a nice feature, and it's being compared to FCP X Motion Templates a lot. For those of you who don't use Premiere - or those that don't use FCP X - Here's a quick look at the 2 side by side-ish.

This is of no interest to the purists among us who would never use a canned title from *any* NLE! 🐮

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

andy patterson
Re: Essential Graphics vs Motion Templates
on May 22, 2017 at 12:11:23 am

I got back form vacation and I have not had time to download the latest edition of Premiere Pro CC. I am creating a video that shows what Premiere Pro CS 4.0 can do as far as graphics are concerned. Not sure if the new graphics titling system in Premiere Pro is better or worse than what we already had. I will try to download it soon.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 22, 2017 at 5:57:20 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on May 22, 2017 at 5:59:29 pm

So, do I understand this correctly?

in the left upper window we see a quick scan view of the starter content in the new "mini-platform" recently added to Premiere Pro for the purpose of giving editors quick access to graphic and text constructions available for use in their timelines. Is that the basics of this? Or am I missing something?

And in the lower right window we're seeing basically the same thing for FCP X?

Most of the content I'm seeing on the X side was delivered with the feature when it was introduced in 2011. And really just Motion "idea starters" that the X editor can access and adapt further.

Is the Premiere system similar? Are these basically "starter designs" that the user is expected to re-work or even generate in AE - and this is just largely just the "holding pen" for that work?

I ask, because I've been quite suprised at just how much basic graphics work I seem to get done in JUST the part of Motion that Apple "co-located" inside X. I'm constantly building useful text and graphics directly inside X - without leaving the core editorial space at all.

Is this the Adobe bid to adopt a bit of the same approach?

Or am I not seeing something distinctive happening here that goes beyond that?

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on May 22, 2017 at 7:15:00 pm

[Bill Davis] "I ask, because I've been quite suprised at just how much basic graphics work I seem to get done in JUST the part of Motion that Apple "co-located" inside X. I'm constantly building useful text and graphics directly inside X - without leaving the core editorial space at all."

Perhaps you could do a demo. Make a few logos using only FCPX.

[Bill Davis] "Is this the Adobe bid to adopt a bit of the same approach?"

We really didn't need it but some people do like using templates. With the graphic design ability of Premiere Pro's titling tool I prefer not to use templates. It would be like using templates for InDesign or Photoshop. Templates may or may not complement the creative process as good as starting from a blank page. Having said that I can probably start from nothing and be done faster than trying to tweak out or rework an existing template.

[Bill Davis] "Or am I not seeing something distinctive happening here that goes beyond that?"

The old Premiere Pro could go beyond what you seen but I am not sure about the latest version.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 22, 2017 at 9:51:14 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on May 22, 2017 at 9:58:18 pm

[andy patterson] "Perhaps you could do a demo. Make a few logos using only FCPX. "

For laughs, here are 5 canned logos, and one "custom" made from stock elements in FCP X plus a green screen object I grabbed from the internet. Other than the downloaded image, all this was done in X only with no 3rd party anything or other apps. It took about 10 minutes, which is probably obvious. ;-)

This isn't to take away from the new Premiere Panel which, again, is a nice addition.

~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 22, 2017 at 11:24:32 pm

Good examples, Charlie.

On each of these, it's likely the original designer (probably someone in-house at Apple?) would have published access to a set of user-facing attributes. Maybe element colors, font and type treatments, layer, positioning , and transition or movement info, etc.

In the X system, this lets you do useful customization without needing to ever launch Motion.

Take the mostly white title sequence in Charlie's group. It's very "neutral" overall.
Check your clients type specs - and maybe all you need to do is quickly match those - and you have a perfectly serviceable communications piece opener in under a minute.

Tons of highly profitable, if minor scope, gigs don't really demand anything more than that.

For those that do, Motion (honestly really amazing for a one time $49!) lets you go farther or totally custom if you like. Yes, if you are a longtime AE Ninja, you'll likely want features Motion does not yet have. But the open question is how many editors (very much like me) would prefer NOT to be forced to learn another entire application and it's attendant skill set just to get decent titles incorporated in our work.

The better question might be if the strengths and differences between the two systems would functionally affect what each unique editor can successfully deliver to achieve increased client satisfaction.

For me that's the only "holy grail" of any of this stuff.

And each editor has to answer that for themselves.

Along with maybe ...
do I need an art director?
can I afford a good one?
can I do without one?

- and the scariest question of all,

Am I currently fooling myself into thinking I AM one?

; )

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on May 23, 2017 at 12:49:35 am

[Bill Davis] "In the X system, this lets you do useful customization without needing to ever launch Motion."

Not from what I seen in the video.

[Bill Davis] "
Take the mostly white title sequence in Charlie's group. It's very "neutral" overall.
Check your clients type specs - and maybe all you need to do is quickly match those - and you have a perfectly serviceable communications piece opener in under a minute."

Replicate the logo below in FCPX with the 3-D titling tool. I am sure GM would prefer you animate their Chevy logo as opposed to animating the word Chevy. See my point?

[Bill Davis] "For those that do, Motion (honestly really amazing for a one time $49!) lets you go farther or totally custom if you like."

I would hope so.

[Bill Davis] "Yes, if you are a longtime AE Ninja, you'll likely want features Motion does not yet have."

Motion? Just create the simple Chevy Logo and use it as a track matte only using FCPX.

[Bill Davis] "But the open question is how many editors (very much like me) would prefer NOT to be forced to learn another entire application and it's attendant skill set just to get decent titles incorporated in our work."

With Premiere Pro I can create logos not just titles and animate them very easy.

[Bill Davis] "The better question might be if the strengths and differences between the two systems would functionally affect what each unique editor can successfully deliver to achieve increased client satisfaction."

I am thinking the answer to your question is yes.

[Bill Davis] "For me that's the only "holy grail" of any of this stuff.

And each editor has to answer that for themselves."

We agree 100%.

[Bill Davis] "Along with maybe ...
do I need an art director?
can I afford a good one?
can I do without one?

- and the scariest question of all,

Am I currently fooling myself into thinking I AM one?"

Are you saying you never created a logo for a client? Is it really that hard to do in FCPX? That is kind of my point.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 23, 2017 at 7:48:56 am
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on May 23, 2017 at 7:57:39 am

[andy patterson] "Replicate the logo below in FCPX with the 3-D titling tool. I am sure GM would prefer you animate their Chevy logo as opposed to animating the word Chevy. See my point? "

My point in this post was to compare the contents of the new Pr title panel, which I like, to the contents of the FCP X title templates, which I also like. What you're suggesting really has nothing to do with that.

EDIT: FWIW, I rarely use the canned templates in FCP X in real life without extensive tweaking, though there are some very good ones, and I doubt I'll use the canned titles in Premiere. I'll definitely use the new Title text capabilities in Pr though. :-)

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 23, 2017 at 8:03:18 am

[Charlie Austin] "My point in this post was to compare the contents of the new Pr title panel, which I like, to the contents of the FCP X title templates, which I also like. What you're suggesting really has nothing to do with that. "

I'm impressed your even bothering with this

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 23, 2017 at 8:24:44 am
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on May 23, 2017 at 8:27:49 am

[Steve Connor] "I'm impressed your even bothering with this"

lol.. bored waiting for the wife to come home from rehearsal. Also it's easy. :-)

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on May 25, 2017 at 8:47:48 am

[Steve Connor] "I'm impressed your even bothering with this"

Yeah… no kiddin'.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on May 23, 2017 at 4:09:31 pm

[Charlie Austin] "My point in this post was to compare the contents of the new Pr title panel, which I like, to the contents of the FCP X title templates, which I also like. What you're suggesting really has nothing to do with that."

I think it is worth mentioning if logos can be created and if so how easy is it as opposed to using templates. Was the Chevy Logo created in FCPX or Motion? Having said that it looked pretty good.

[Charlie Austin] "EDIT: FWIW, I rarely use the canned templates in FCP X in real life without extensive tweaking, though there are some very good ones,"

I am not saying there are not a few good templates and some of the motion graphics are good it just depends if it would really compliment the the products or services for the client.

[Charlie Austin] "I doubt I'll use the canned titles in Premiere"

Me neither.

[Charlie Austin] "I'll definitely use the new Title text capabilities in Pr though. :-)"

I hope it is better and not worse. I will probably download it this weekend.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 23, 2017 at 5:17:52 pm

[andy patterson] "Was the Chevy Logo created in FCPX or Motion?"

All in FCP X using stock title, generators and effects. Thought be fair I did have to make the bowtie logo into a font using a couple free web based conversion sites.

Was gonna mess with it in Pr, but for some reason it shows up doubled side by side... It shows up properly in everything else, Word, Email, whatever. I'll see if I can figure out why if I get a minute sometime.

[andy patterson] "it just depends if it would really compliment the the products or services for the client. "

Agree. And honestly, no matter how good any canned titles or templates are, they're best only for a starting point or inspiration. If for no other reason than they are recognizable as canned templates which is not a good thing.

[andy patterson] "I hope it is better and not worse. I will probably download it this weekend."

It is better in many of ways, but honestly feels a little... unfinished. The fact that the "legacy" title tool is still there can make things a little confusing.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on May 23, 2017 at 6:41:43 pm

[Charlie Austin] "[andy patterson] "Was the Chevy Logo created in FCPX or Motion?"

All in FCP X using stock title, generators and effects. Thought be fair I did have to make the bowtie logo into a font using a couple free web based conversion sites."

I appreciate your honesty but that is kind of my point. Using a dedicated 3-D animation program to create simple logos is not hard at all and I bet I could do it faster and easier with a dedicated 3-D program than you could using FCPX. Having said that I bet you could do it really fast and easy using Carrara yourself. You are so close to working in a dedicated 3-D program. The jump would not be huge. Having said that the canned effects and templates might be better in one NLE but creating logos might be better in another NLE. I will admit everyone's needs will be different.

[Charlie Austin] "[andy patterson] "I hope it is better and not worse. I will probably download it this weekend."

It is better in many of ways, but honestly feels a little... unfinished. The fact that the "legacy" title tool is still there can make things a little confusing."

Thanks for the info. I think it is good to have both titling systems for a while until people get used to the new system. Having said that thanks for the demo. I would like to include the video clips in a demo I am creating if I can.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 23, 2017 at 8:43:04 pm

[andy patterson] " I bet you could do it really fast and easy using Carrara yourself. You are so close to working in a dedicated 3-D program. The jump would not be huge. Having said that the canned effects and templates might be better in one NLE but creating logos might be better in another NLE. I will admit everyone's needs will be different."

Of course. And, honestly, neither FCP X or Motion are billed as 3D Programs. They do 3D text, and very well, and can be hacked into doing 3D objects like the bowtie. I certainly wouldn't present that logo to Chevy, it was just slapped together. You'll always get better results when you use an app that was designed to do this.

However, you can do some interesting things with FCP X and Motion. (fwiw, this guy freely admits that these could be done better in dedicated 3D modeling apps, but still... he made an FCP X plugin out of them)

[andy patterson] "Having said that thanks for the demo. I would like to include the video clips in a demo I am creating if I can."

Sure, just add the caveat that it was done *very* quickly, with no fine tuning at all in an app that wasn't intended to do this type of thing. :-)

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on May 27, 2017 at 12:27:54 am

My video is a lot longer than I would have liked and I had to leave a lot of things out. There was not enough time to do a real tutorial to show how easy it is to use Premiere Pro. I just highlighted a few things here and there. I think my video was fair. I think some people may judge a NLE based on the canned effects VS what the titling system can actually do. I think that is why some people prefer one NLE over the other. People will use what works best for their needs.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 23, 2017 at 10:50:57 pm

[andy patterson] "Using a dedicated 3-D animation program to create simple logos is not hard at all and I bet I could do it faster and easier with a dedicated 3-D program than you could using FCPX."

For a slick execution of a simple extrusion like this? I bet not. Charlie's going to have it done before you even start your render. (Also, Charlie won't have to render!)

But let's get real. Who, in the real world, uses their NLE to produce logos? What on earth is the purpose of this line of discussion? If we're talking about titling, why would you exclude Motion (for FCPX) and After Effects (for Premiere Pro) from the discussion?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on May 24, 2017 at 1:17:40 am

[Walter Soyka] "[andy patterson] "Using a dedicated 3-D animation program to create simple logos is not hard at all and I bet I could do it faster and easier with a dedicated 3-D program than you could using FCPX."

For a slick execution of a simple extrusion like this? I bet not. Charlie's going to have it done before you even start your render. (Also, Charlie won't have to render!)"

Keep in mind Charlie had to use plugins and workarounds for the Chevy Logo and even then it did not replicate the sample logo 100%. It looked good but it was not identical. As far as rendering is concerned I stated in another thread I don't think FCPX uses ray-tracing. Rendering can take a long time if you have several metal and glass objects in the same scene and make use of ray-tracing. If you do not use ray-tracing (I don't think FCPX does) the rendering will be done in two seconds if you are just animating text. Keep in mind you can take a picture of the side of a brick house and use the brick image for a shader in a 3-D program as opposed to actually using a displacement map. When I see titles in FCPX they have that look to them as opposed to a real textured displacement map. That is why FCPX does not need to render anything. It kind of fakes true 3-D.

[Walter Soyka] "But let's get real. Who, in the real world, uses their NLE to produce logos?"

I have used Premiere Pro to make logos in the past but my point was that there is a difference between a logo and a simple text/title animation. Wouldn't you agree? Isn't that worth clarifying? Having said that I can create mattes/masks in Premiere Pro really easy and I do that all the time using the titling/graphics tools in Premiere Pro. I will have a video up soon to show what Premiere Pro on it's own can do. I will also show how easy it is to use a true 3-D software program for animating titles.

[Walter Soyka] "What on earth is the purpose of this line of discussion?"

In this thread we are comparing the graphics capabilities of FCPX and Premiere Pro. It is worth discussing the pros and cons of each not just which one has better canned effects/templates.

[Walter Soyka] "If we're talking about titling, why would you exclude Motion (for FCPX) and After Effects (for Premiere Pro) from the discussion?"

We were comparing the two programs exclusively but I do agree with you. If we include AE with Premiere Pro how can anyone say the titling system in Premiere Pro is worse than the titling system in FCPX? I have provided a link below that talks about the titling systems of FCPX Vs Premiere Pro as does this thread. I would like to think GM would prefer you animate the Chevy Logo as oppose to animating the word Chevy? That is not say FCPX cannot be used for motion graphics.

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/94929

Return to posts index

Tony West
on May 24, 2017 at 3:08:04 am

[andy patterson] "Charlie had to use plugins and workarounds for the Chevy Logo"

I don't know what he used, but it certainly seemed to be faster than it's taking you to put your video up.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on May 24, 2017 at 3:42:28 am

[Tony West] "[andy patterson] "Charlie had to use plugins and workarounds for the Chevy Logo"

I don't know what he used, but it certainly seemed to be faster than it's taking you to put your video up."

My video was just about ready until this thread got started. I have to include Charlie's video clips to make a comparison. Keep in mind my video will be some what of a tutorial with voice over showing how things are done. Charlie did not show how it was done. Those videos take a bit longer. I also have a lot of things to cover in my video. I will show 3-D animation and 2-D motion graphics. I imagine my video will be about 20 minutes when completed.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 24, 2017 at 6:35:43 am

[andy patterson] "Charlie did not show how it was done."

Bored again tonight, so here ya go.. 15 min real time, ~4 of which were spent creating the font to use, so 10-11 min., no rendering. I sped it it up. A lot. ☺

Again, FCP X is not 3D Modeling software and I'm not suggesting that it is. At all.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on May 24, 2017 at 6:47:44 am

[Charlie Austin] "[andy patterson] "Charlie did not show how it was done."

Bored again tonight, so here ya go.. 15 min real time, ~4 of which were spent creating the font to use, so 10-11 min., no rendering. I sped it it up. A lot. ☺

Again, FCP X is not 3D Modeling software and I'm not suggesting that it is. At all. "

That's actually pretty cool, thanks for sharing Charlie. It's like a much better version of 3D invigorator. ☺

Shawn

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on May 24, 2017 at 8:42:10 am

[Charlie Austin] "Again, FCP X is not 3D Modeling software and I'm not suggesting that it is. At all."

I never stated you thought it was a 3-D modeling program. There a some people that think they are creating logos by simply using pre animated 3-D text inside FCPX and adding a motion blur to it. I do not consider that creating a logo. That is the point I am trying to make.

[Charlie Austin] "Bored again tonight, so here ya go.. 15 min real time, ~4 of which were spent creating the font to use, so 10-11 min."

Thanks for posting the video but it is helping to prove my point. Simply animating the word Chevy can be done very easy using FCPX with canned templates. When replicating the actual Chevy Logo is needed it takes much more time. Do you kind of see the point I am trying to make? I am not just talking about 3-D logos but all graphic elements. Keep in mind they have premade items for 3-D animation software? For example if someone wanted me to create a tattoo of a black widow spider but replace the red hour glass of the black widow with the Harley Davidson logo it would only take a few minutes if I already had a 3-D model of the spider. On the other hand if I had to create the spider from ground zero using my 3-D software it would take much longer.

[Charlie Austin] "no rendering"

I would not expect there to be rendering if there is no ray tracing with true surface textures. I want to address this in my video if I can ever get it done. My video is probably going to have be 30 minutes long if not longer depend on how long this thread becomes. I hope it doesn't go much longer that is not to say it was not interesting and I do appreciate you posting the videos. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 24, 2017 at 3:40:08 pm

[andy patterson] "I never stated you thought it was a 3-D modeling program. There a some people that think they are creating logos by simply using pre animated 3-D text inside FCPX and adding a motion blur to it. I do not consider that creating a logo."

I wasn't suggesting you were, just trying to be clear in case anyone thought I was implying that. ☺

All I thought I was doing was just what I did, whip up a quick animated logo that looks good. Definitely not creating a hand animated 3D graphic object from scratch in an NLE. Although, I think there are a couple plugins that that would allow me to do that, and maybe there is something similar for Premiere?

[andy patterson] " not to say it was not interesting and I do appreciate you posting the videos. Thanks again."

Welcome, it's fun. :-)

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 24, 2017 at 4:19:55 am
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on May 24, 2017 at 4:23:31 am

[Walter Soyka] "What on earth is the purpose of this line of discussion?"

Excellent question. ☺ This thread was started to compare the canned titles in Premiere vs the canned titles in FCP X. Not sure how we ended up discussing 3D object modeling in FCP X (which is not something it is intended to do). I guess it's my fault for making the silly bowtie animation. Mea Cowpa... 🐮

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on May 24, 2017 at 8:50:18 am

[Charlie Austin] "[Walter Soyka] "What on earth is the purpose of this line of discussion?"

Excellent question. ☺ This thread was started to compare the canned titles in Premiere vs the canned titles in FCP X. Not sure how we ended up discussing 3D object modeling in FCP X (which is not something it is intended to do). I guess it's my fault for making the silly bowtie animation. Mea Cowpa... 🐮"

Posting about canned effects is fine but mentioning the full capabilities of both titling system should not be off limits. I have seen many threads go down a rabbit hole. This one actually stayed on topic.

Return to posts index

Tony West
on May 24, 2017 at 1:17:30 pm

Getting back closer to the topic of the thread (but still not quite there) I was watching a demo of the new Essential Graphics panel and it looked as though to update a font you have to "select" the fonts in the column to see what it looks like instead of just hovering over it and seeing it in X

Is that correct?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 24, 2017 at 3:45:02 pm

[Tony West] "Getting back closer to the topic of the thread (but still not quite there) I was watching a demo of the new Essential Graphics panel and it looked as though to update a font you have to "select" the fonts in the column to see what it looks like instead of just hovering over it and seeing it in X

Is that correct?"

Yes. Pretty sure it was the same in the "legacy" tool as well. I imagine the font list preview is an OS X thing and due to their cross platform needs Adobe hasn't hooked into it? I don't rent AE so not sure if that behaves the same...

Return to posts index

Tony West
on May 24, 2017 at 4:34:57 pm

Well, that right there is a great example of a time usage comparison.

I would not like selecting each one of those fonts one by one to see them rather than just hovering over them.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 24, 2017 at 5:29:23 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on May 24, 2017 at 6:37:33 pm

[Tony West] "I would not like selecting each one of those fonts one by one to see them rather than just hovering over them."

Yeah. It is nice to be able to type right on the program monitor now though! ☺ Just checked and the "legacy" title tool *does* provide previews, so maybe they'll add that to the EssP at some point.

Thing is you can only type in the monitor, there is no text box option in the panel. Also, you can only add keyframes in the Effects Control panel, but you can then adjust transform parameters in the EssP or the Effects Panel. Its a little weird, and kinda seems like they rushed it out.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on May 25, 2017 at 11:19:53 am

[Charlie Austin] "I imagine the font list preview is an OS X thing and due to their cross platform needs Adobe hasn't hooked into it?"

Actually, it's a Motion thing that came along for the ride with the tight integration of v5 code and routines with X. Motion has done that since v1.

- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]