FORUMS: list search recent posts

SSD Advice

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
SSD Advice
on May 16, 2017 at 7:53:28 pm

I am looking to adding external storage for the old cheese grater Mac Pro 5,1 and was wondering if SSD would be a better option. Would eSATA be a better connection or should I opt for something else? Any advice is welcome. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: SSD Advice
on May 17, 2017 at 12:30:38 am

Depends on your needs- internal RAIDs can be done as well.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 17, 2017 at 12:34:36 pm

Depends on what you want to do. For example, my home tower (2009 MacPro) has 4 drive bays (standard). I put SSDs into 1 and 2 (system + extra docs) and two 7200 RPM WD spinning drives in 3 and 4. Those last two are RAIDed as RAID-0. Then I put in an eSATA/USB3 card, so I can use eSATA and USB3 external drives. SSDs are great, but for handling media, they don't buy you much (versus the cost and storage capacity), unless you are working with high resolution media, like 4K.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 17, 2017 at 3:29:40 pm

I will be working with some 4K footage. Just recently purchased a Go Pro Hero 5 Session camera. It can record in HD as well which is what I will likely use. Is an additional card required to set up a RAID for internal drives? That would probably meet my needs for now though the eSATA solution will be better. Thank you both for answering my question. This was my original plan but a second opinion is always good to have.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 17, 2017 at 5:06:50 pm

[David Mathis] "ust recently purchased a Go Pro Hero 5 Session camera."

Transcode this first. Don't attempt to work with this natively.

[David Mathis] "Is an additional card required to set up a RAID for internal drives?"

Not originally, but I'm not sure about current macOS versions.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

David Lazaro Saz
on May 18, 2017 at 9:39:22 am

[David Mathis] Is an additional card required to set up a RAID for internal drives?

No. The macOS Sierra version of Disk Utility includes RAID Assistant as an option in the file menu.

If you are going to configure a RAID 0, I will recommend using an UPS though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]