FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple and the Pro User, some stuff for thought.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tracy Smith
Apple and the Pro User, some stuff for thought.
on Jul 7, 2011 at 4:23:55 pm

First of all I am not trying to be a sour grape in the process of FCPX. Apple will most likely create a very good product out of it in the end. The problem is what is it going to take, and how long until we arrive at that end?
Apple is a Computer Company, they are now a content distributor, and they are a mobile tech company. What they are not is a professional imaging company. They tried for a while and did a wonderful job. I left my employment at CBS to use this tech to go out on my own seven years ago. The technology from Apple has served me well for the most part.
The issue in my mind is not the disastrous rollout of FCPX. This kind of thing happens on occasion. The issue on my mind was the discontinuation of product lines that 2 million users were invested in. The software sales alone represent a collective 2.4 billion dollars of revenue. (out of Apple's' 65 billion annual) The computers most of us use are between 5000 and 10,000 a shot depending on how we configured them. So lets pick the 5K as the median number and make an average. 5K x 2million users = That number represents 10 billion (collective) A rough guess of just the FCP user base. Add those together that's a collective 12.4 billion dollar (est.) investment in Apple's tech by the professional community. Last year's film industry total revenue gross(ticket sales) $10,455,589,836. Television revenue was 19.4 billion. The potential damage to the bottom line to replace 2.4 billion dollars in software with just my estimate, represents 8.1 percent of the gross of the industry. In these economic times forcing the hand now was not good. Television alone had a decline of 38 % in 2009 with a 23% rise last year. That means it is still down 15% from where it was.
Apple's choice to change the editing paradigm now is not about legacy users holding on. It is not about the quality of professional editing. What it is about is future App store downloads and distribution plus third party plug in downloads that Apple takes a percentage of sales off of the entire industry. In comparison to their 65B take per year amounts to nickle and diming an already stressed industry.
So for all of you folks who are saying it's about an editing metaphor, or a GUI interface, or capability you are wrong. We are professionals who tell our stories. We did it before Apple got involved and we will do it after they are finished. What everyone is angry about is the contempt Apple showed an industry that helped get them where they are. You see before it was Ipads, and Iphones it was us. When Apple started tanking before the return of Mr. Jobs, it was us who carried the Apple banner. The folks who tell stories with images. And just in case no one has made the connection to that 8.1% of the gross it equals a lot of profit margins. If Apple was willing to create a revolution at our expense, they will do it again. This is a brand trust issue. And 2 million folks just went backwards. Guess what happens when they tell ten people...

Stuff to think about.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: Apple and the Pro User, some stuff for thought.
on Jul 7, 2011 at 4:45:50 pm

Tracy,
You make some really good points. There have been quite a few posts here trying to dismiss the FCP users place in the apple food chain. How many iPods does a 5K Mac Pro FCP set-up equal?
I know many of my non-media friends have seen the FCP debacle in the mainstream media and have asked me whats my take on it, and apple. I wonder how many of them will buy an iPad or iPhone now?

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Tracy Smith
on Jul 7, 2011 at 6:28:35 pm

Scott,
Thank you for the nice words. You never know how people will react. We did a side by side with Android and IOS and being bluntly honest there wasn't enough difference to argue about. Both good products, pick the one you like. And that's what we all will do. Trust bonds are a tough thing. I am finally at my end of singing the praises of Apple. They are a good company and If their tools work for me great, and if they don't, fine, we use something else. From this point forward at least with me, all solutions will be considered without my "loyal" behavior being included.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 7, 2011 at 8:44:27 pm

[Tracy Smith] "From this point forward at least with me, all solutions will be considered without my "loyal" behavior being included."

I think loyalty is a two way street. It's too bad apple doesn't seem to care about it as much as some of their customers. So I can't blame anyone for making what works for them a much higher priority, over brand loyalty.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jul 7, 2011 at 9:39:39 pm

[Scott Sheriff] "I know many of my non-media friends have seen the FCP debacle in the mainstream media and have asked me whats my take on it, and apple. I wonder how many of them will buy an iPad or iPhone now?"

Precisely, and a point that everyone seems to be discounting. It isn't about losing a few sales to pros and making it up with more sales to "moving picture cutters". It's about the influence that those pros have over all the other sales... it's about the perceived loss of Apple image... it's about the trend, i.e. the MobileMe disaster, the iPhone antenna disaster, and now this. I mean when you make the late night shows as a joke, I'd say you've moved into the mainstream bad news category. My sister works in engineering and even she called me to ask what the hell is going on with Apple. They were about to buy thousands of iPhones and iPads. Now they're holding off... it didn't help that the IT guys explained that they also bailed on the enterprise stuff. Oops!

Time will tell. I'm not happy about this thing called FCPX, but I'm not pissed at Apple either. Do I think FCPX will be great some day. Maybe? The problem is that FCP7 was already too long in the tooth... many of us can't give them another year or two... we feel like we already gave them the last two years waiting for what turned out to be FCPX.

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com
http://www.insightproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]