FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple took 6 years to recover the number of FCP users it had in 2011

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Franz Bieberkopf
Apple took 6 years to recover the number of FCP users it had in 2011
on Apr 26, 2017 at 11:12:25 pm
Last Edited By Franz Bieberkopf on Apr 26, 2017 at 11:15:21 pm

I note that there hasn't been much movement here the past few years, but this bit of info contributes to past discussion:

https://9to5mac.com/2017/04/26/final-cut-pro-x-sales/

The terminology is "seats" - which is undefined except as a "kind of customer base" - in contrast to the last Apple announcement which was "separate installations".

It's unclear why the term is announced as "five and a half years" since June 2011 to April 2017 is by common reckoning 6 years (or 5 years and 10 months if you want to be precise). Also, I don't understand the claim that they went "much faster from one million to two million seats than from zero to one million" since by Apple's own numbers it took them 3 years to reach 1 million "separate installations" and another 3 years to reach 2 million "seats".

(9to5mac repeats the "five and half years" figure which I guess is part of era of reporting we are in.)

Previously:

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/72675#72675

"What we're doing is we're growing that base faster than ever before."
Richard Townhill (unconfirmed), Director of Pro Video Product Marketing, 2011 (at 2 million users)

Points vs. Tangents.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
Re: Apple took 6 years to recover the number of FCP users it had in 2011
on Apr 26, 2017 at 11:21:38 pm

Point is...?

Scott Witthaus
Owner, 1708 Inc./Editorial
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Apr 26, 2017 at 11:26:36 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Point is...?"

This is a good question.

Were you referring to the post above or things in general?

Others focus on tangents. It's difficult to make a case for either.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 26, 2017 at 11:39:43 pm

Number of users does not necessarily correlate to best software. Factors like brand loyalty, wanting to be compatible with others and marketing strategies can skew all of that.

And best software for whom? What works best for me in my area may mean nothing to the way others work and collaborate or lone wolf. I care little for manufacturers claims about number of seats/ users. I take note of how the software that suits me sits with others that I collaborate with and if there are potential limitations like OS or hardware exclusivity. Regardless of how long it may have taken Apple to get these numbers, a ridiculous number of doco jobs I post are still cut on Legend. I would be interested to know just how many haven't switched to anything.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 27, 2017 at 2:10:41 am

[Michael Gissing] "I would be interested to know just how many haven't switched to anything."

That's one of the key points here, that NONE of these seat numbers speak to market share -- a concept that implies a zero sum. One pie. Well, most people have more than one NLE, so there's more than one pie. ๐Ÿ˜

I'm going to also laud the return of Herr Professor Doktor Bieberkopf and recall my declaration from 6 years ago almost to the day, immediately after the presentation of X, and before it even started shipping, that it would have 10 million users before the end of the first year. ๐Ÿ˜ I can usually count on one of you to bring this up for me, to remind me of my unparalleled exuberance for X, so I thought I'd save you the trouble. I certainly banged the table about it often enough, so it's easy to find several examples of these pronouncements in our archives.

I went further and said that if I were in charge of Apple, heads would roll if it failed to meet the 10 million mark by the end of its first year. I was certain that it would be huge.

Not that 2 million isn't plenty huge. But it's surely less huge than it sounds, in that a meaningful number of those "seats" are in fact not using it regularly.

At the same time, it doesn't matter. Apple got paid the same amount whether I downloaded it for laughs, or one of you downloaded it for life. I don't mean that to sound in any way cynical, or that Apple doesn't care how people feel about X. They clearly do, which is why I've been its staunchest defender on this count from the very first possible moment.

But I do still think that how far X hasn't spread is at least as interesting a story as how far it has, even if the latter is ultimately the more important story.

Lovely to see you, Franz. ๐Ÿฎ

Return to posts index

juan Casado
on Apr 27, 2017 at 2:53:34 pm

Two million of seats means that apple has sold two millions of this piece of software?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 27, 2017 at 4:43:48 pm

The question Apple likely asks themselves, is "How many additional MacBook Pros and Trashcans did we sell to support FCPX that we wouldn't have otherwise?"

Return to posts index

juan Casado
on Apr 27, 2017 at 4:50:50 pm

Sure!! I was asking myself If those figures corresponded to unique licences

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Apr 27, 2017 at 10:48:40 pm

to answer the question "your point?" This was a marketing disaster for Apple at first -- years of professional goodwill lost with a program the company knew wasn't ready to replace the mature industry leading software in adoption and use.

so to take this long to regain that base is not a case study in "the right way to keep your customers happy"

I'm one of the several million "seats" sold but after realizing it didn't do what I needed in version one (or several updates) i just let it sit on my computer unused.

Yes, they've dramatically improved the software in all those years, but when you lose a customer "at hello" it's difficult to win them back.

And yes, i've used FCP 10 occasionally, but despite the fans who will say I just need to think the way the software thinks, it still seems unnecessarily fussy with assigning roles and secondary story lines and tiny undockable control panels ...so much thinking different. Premiere Pro was a more logical successor to FCP 7 -- tiny learning curve and it works nearly the same without all the transcoding headaches.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 29, 2017 at 8:46:39 pm

For me it's undoubtedly not about the magnetic timeline. Although as someone that often has 20+ layers, I've got to say, for the compositing/motion graphics work it's extremely efficient in that you can move layers around vertically and others get out of the way. Just like a compositing app like AE or Motion. I can take or leave the full time ripple. It has no appreciable benefit for me.

It's really all about the connection between FCPX and Motion. If one isn't taking advantage of that, then they're really missing out. It's has really increased productivity. Especially when changes roll around. Nearly every graphic I make, just like the ones I used to do in AE, is now a plugin. No more rendering out and replacing. It's all interactive. And it used to be producers would rough cut projects, or maybe we have a team working on a big project, and I'd do the finishing, but now I supply them all with the tools (custom plugins) to do the finishing themselves with a consistent look.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 28, 2017 at 3:42:25 am

Love the phrasing, Fritz. "Failure" "Years to recover" Fabulous neutral "reportorial" writing.

Let me play, "Spin the Headline" too please!

FCP X surpasses FCP Legacy 10-Year adoption mark in just six years!

or perhaps,

FCP X on-pace to best FCP Legacy adoption by 40% or more.

or (my favorite!)

Once again, FCP X proves FASTER than what's come before it!

_______

That was FUN!

Apple publicly announced at NAB both that FCP X adoption is accelerating - AND that the software went from one to two million users faster than it it reached it's first million. In other words, it's sales growth rate is accelerating.

Something I could have told you anecdotally from the communities which which I communicate.

And Apple is spending real money on human capital to accelearate that. First Wes Plate and now Tim Dashwood - and I've been shown links to ads in the tech community that indicate they are constantly searching for more very specific top level talent in the NLE space.

On to other NAB news, since I've started this...

One of the most interesting sessions I saw this year was Michael Cioni's presentation at the LumaForge stage where I spent most of my NAB this year. It's worth a watch as it hits the net. And a good chunk of the Apple FCP X design team was (semi stealthily) in the room to hear him. Which makes me glad. They aren't trying to shy away from criticism. They are actively seeking it out and listening to it. Which is healthy.

Also, nobody has a clue where the industry is going. It's changing far too fast for that.

Also, one of the MOST interesting things I saw at NAB were some charts Michael Kammes had based on AVIDs recent public SEC filings last week concerning future revenue projections.

For any skeptics, they're here on the latest AVID 8k public filings directly.

Under Revenue Opportunities the stuff we all care about barely registered down below 4%.

They see the big driver of future profits as "Digital Rights Management".

Non-linear editing - clocks in near the bottom at 4%.

FWIW.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 28, 2017 at 7:10:29 am

[Bill Davis] "Love the phrasing, Fritz. "Failure" "Years to recover" Fabulous neutral "reportorial" writing.
"

Fritz??

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 28, 2017 at 8:16:43 am

Andy, please stop using the bad language on here

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Apr 28, 2017 at 4:08:55 pm

I've been properly admonished!

"FCP 10 is the greatest thing since sliced bread!" Admonished Andy

Better?

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Apr 28, 2017 at 4:07:55 pm

Bill,

I was replying to the first post about how long it took to regain the number of people using legacy FCP (I was one that products biggest evangelists)

It is delusional to say otherwise.

I also said they've made dramatic improvements ..but on 10 Apple lost me (and thousands of others) at hello

and Bill you've made no secret you are a FCP X Fanboy - Good for you.....glad it works for you. It doesn't for a great number of former FCP 7 users.

Happy Editing.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 28, 2017 at 4:32:41 pm

[Andy Field] "It doesn't for a great number of former FCP 7 users."

And quite honestly, I think Apple saw any "Legacy fan-boys" they could win over as a bonus. I have always felt Apple wasn't really looking at the veteran editor when it designed and released X (yes, a huge CF of a release) because it was too different. They were looking to the next generation. You don't have to look too far to realize that, by and large, editors don't like big change.

Scott Witthaus
Owner, 1708 Inc./Editorial
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 28, 2017 at 5:18:55 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "And quite honestly, I think Apple saw any "Legacy fan-boys" they could win over as a bonus. I have always felt Apple wasn't really looking at the veteran editor when it designed and released X (yes, a huge CF of a release) because it was too different. "

Bingo. This has been Apple's MO all along of course. They not only didn't expect to convert Apple II customers to Mac customers, they by and large didn't. Apple II was outselling Mac by huge margins until the day they pulled the plug, and once they did, Apple did NOT see a rush of those customers over to Mac.

It can admittedly be a drag if you're one of the legacy customers (not actually a pun, but I'll take it) no longer being supported, but it's worth noting that Adobe was even bolder in some ways when they took a formerly Mac-only product (Adobe Premiere) and made its next evolution Windows-only from 2001-2005 (Premiere Pro), saying that they'd be back when Apple permitted reasonable performance parity -- lo and behold, it came to pass.

And once Apple gave some Legacy customers reason to consider alternatives in 2011, I didn't hear one person here say, "No way I'd consider Adobe after they dropped Mac support before." Nor should they have. Mac performance for video editing (It was ONLY Premiere Pro that was briefly Windows-only) is no longer unreasonably behind Windows, and there's no question about Adobe's forward-facing commitments.

I'm sure there are other examples out there, too. Sometimes the only way to get the new customers you need is to break the chain with the customers you've had. Some of those will catch up if they're inclined, but if you believe in your future, you have to just go for it.

[Scott Witthaus] "You don't have to look too far to realize that, by and large, editors don't like big change."

If that first observation was Bingo, this one's Yahtzee! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 28, 2017 at 5:39:47 pm

[Tim Wilson] " Adobe was even bolder in some ways when they took a formerly Mac-only product (Adobe Premiere) and made its next evolution Windows-only from 2001-2005 (Premiere Pro), "

Minor correction, Premiere had been cross platform since the mid-90's I think.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 28, 2017 at 6:06:21 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "[Tim Wilson] " Adobe was even bolder in some ways when they took a formerly Mac-only product (Adobe Premiere) and made its next evolution Windows-only from 2001-2005 (Premiere Pro), "

Minor correction, Premiere had been cross platform since the mid-90's I think."

That's right - my first version of Premiere was 4.x, and that was in 95 or 96... I think. โ˜บ

Shawn

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 28, 2017 at 9:35:25 pm

[Shawn Miller] "That's right - my first version of Premiere was 4.x, and that was in 95 or 96... I think."

You're quite right, sloppy language on my part. The first dual-platform version was indeed Premiere 4, in December 1994.

What I should have said was that it "originated as a Mac-only product".

Thanks for catching that. :-)

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 28, 2017 at 9:42:04 pm

[Tim Wilson] "[Shawn Miller] "That's right - my first version of Premiere was 4.x, and that was in 95 or 96... I think."

You're quite right, sloppy language on my part. The first dual-platform version was indeed Premiere 4, in December 1994.

What I should have said was that it "originated as a Mac-only product".

Thanks for catching that. :-)"

All credit due to eagle eyed Andrew Kimery! โ˜บ

Shawn

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 28, 2017 at 7:34:07 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Apr 28, 2017 at 11:17:06 pm

[Andy Field] "
Bill you've made no secret you are a FCP X Fanboy - Good for you.....glad it works for you."

A) anytime anybody applies the descriptive term "boy" to me it's a victory of spirit - so go for it! B) It appears at LEAST 1,999,999 others have come to agree with me regarding X's worth as well. Apple PR now officially approves the much bandied 2 million FCP X seats metric, so you're going to have to show me an equally reliable "public company with SEC scrutiny" statistics before I change my opinion that far more people are cutting video on X today than on Premiere Pro or AVID or Resolve.

Possibly even more that the TOTAL of those three, who knows?

Maybe not in YOUR shop or circle of acquaintances - but in the global marketplace, it's not just doing OK, it's leading and possibly even quietly pulling away.

Good enough for me.

If someone sees this news differently and wants to argue hoards of editors have spent $299 only to let the software sit idle - make your case. Fun debate.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Apr 29, 2017 at 4:02:54 pm
Last Edited By greg janza on Apr 29, 2017 at 4:09:00 pm

For me, the Apple FCPX debacle was a precursor to my abandonment of Apple.

I agree that for most of us veteran editors they lost us at Hello. Once bitten twice shy as the saying goes. The notion of using multiple NLE's doesn't make sense to me either. The depth and breadth of NLE's these days requires users to dig in deep to master the tools and so once I committed to Premiere that was it.

It's also helpful that the overall NLE market over the past five years has shifted dramatically towards Adobe. In the Bay Area, virtually every post house and freelance editor with an edit suite is using the Adobe Cloud.

And by being platform agnostic, Adobe then freed me up to think in terms of completely abandoning the Mac platform and instead switching to a PC. And that's exactly what I did and quite happily there's really nothing I miss about Apple.

So when I hear about the new and improved FCPX releases and now the increased sales, its all irrelevant until the day arrives when FCPX has made an actual dent into the professional marketplace.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 29, 2017 at 4:46:53 pm

[greg janza] "its all irrelevant until the day arrives when FCPX has made an actual dent into the professional marketplace.
"

It has already and did so quite a while ago- obviously not in the area you are in but it's a big world out there. Where I am more than 50% of Production Companies are using FCPX and that's growing.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Apr 29, 2017 at 7:54:10 pm

Agreed. If you don't know how popular FCP X is in the professional marketplace (whatever that still means), you really should get out of your cave one day and you will see there is a world out there that is much, much bigger than you think.

I am lucky enough to be able to travel around the world visiting major production companies and tv stations all the time, and I see FCP X everywhere. In a few weeks I will be going to Poland where both the public broadcaster and the commercial national tv exclusively use FCP X (240 seats in total). A few weeks ago I was in Spain visiting one of the largest film schools in Europe (1800 Spanish and international students each year) where they only teach FCP X for editing and nothing else. A multinational client of mine (Schibsted Media Group) has 100 FCP X seats only in Norway. And I can go on and on. So please don't tell me that FCP X has not caused a dent in the professional marketplace, because I will prove you wrong with hard facts and figures any day.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 29, 2017 at 10:16:45 pm

Greg,

This is the thing.

EVERYONE seems to agree that in the modern era, people have retreated to "information silos" and only allow in what best fits their pre-conceptions.

I do that too much with X.
And clearly you do that too much with Premiere.

It's just how the world works when you can live so easily behind filters of your own choosing.

So how does anyone know what's really on the other side of the fence anymore?

For me, it means I have to listen harder and harder to detect differences in the stories and discussions about these modern tools.

And match those stories to my needs.

Personally, the values I am most personally concerned with are efficiency and innovation I am willing to endure discomfort if at the end of change, I'm getting more done more quickly and feel like my tools are truly evolving to meet the new challenges. That's been the story of X for me.

For many editors, consistency and safety might have been more critical. Not having to change too far from their hard won expertise was more critical than having to change their approach to editing. That's a perfectly rational choice.

The ability to occupy a seat that values the older non-magnetic editing tradition is a smart thing when all the seats around you are non-magnetic.

But as others in this thread are noting, that's NOT all the seats out in the wider world.

Those may be changing.

If so, I'd argue they are changing for a reason - and that reason is largely down to one factor and one factor alone. Efficiency - the same thing that has driven innovation forever.

IF (and it's a huge IF) one tool actually allows the editor to do more work more easily at the same quality - that will typically tilt the scales over the long run. We'll see about that in the coming years. I wish you well in your path.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Apr 29, 2017 at 11:07:52 pm
Last Edited By greg janza on Apr 30, 2017 at 7:05:47 am

People are impassioned about their choices and that's a good thing. Our main job as editors is to elicit emotional responses from those who view the stories we cut together. And so it's fitting that the viewpoints on which equipment we prefer to use to create those stories would be equally filled with emotion.

Just to round out the discussion a bit. I've learned FCPX and I've done several projects with it and I also like it quite a bit. I also agree that it can be a tool that will increase an editor's efficiency. In an ever-changing market, adaptability is key. However, most of my work is being created with Adobe Premiere.

Market forces usually dictate what software will be used. When Avid dominated the market, a large percentage of editors were Avid proficient. Then FCP came onto the scene, it cut dramatically into the Avid market and consequently we had FCP editors as the norm. So in the last several years Apple re-invented FCP and that coincided with alienating a sizable percentage of it's professional user base. Seeing an opening in the market, Adobe jumped in and seriously beefed up it's product line. So now we have a lot of editors who are committed to the Adobe cloud.

If any of the numbers released by Apple and Adobe are to be believed, Adobe has anywhere from a 2 to 1 to 10 to 1 dominance in the market. The actual numbers though are irrelevant.

The deciding factor for freelancers will usually be what systems they need to know in order to gain employment. And of course, it'll vary from market to market.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 30, 2017 at 1:49:50 pm

I think all of these numbers should be taken with a grain of salt. First of all, we don't really know what "seat" means in this context. Apple does sell enterprise-wide site licenses for large corporate and educational customers. So it's hard to tell how those number are calculated. In the case of Adobe, how do you factor a subscription for only 3 months, which is turned off at the end of the job? Naturally, unless someone subscribes to only a single app, then there's really no way to separate out the actual Premiere users from those who got CC for Photoshop and AE, getting Premiere in the deal. Of course, Adobe probably does know, since they can track downloads and updates. This really leaves you with Avid probably providing the most accurate numbers, since no one dives into Media Composer unless they really have plans to use it.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 30, 2017 at 6:17:26 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Apr 30, 2017 at 6:18:15 pm

[Oliver Peters] "In the case of Adobe, how do you factor a subscription for only 3 months, which is turned off at the end of the job? "

I'll just note that I have yet to meet a single person who has done a "start and stop" Adobe subscription successfully.

I still have two Photo subscriptions running after being entirely unable to successfully stop the duplicate subscription from billing - even tho I have spent more than one and a half hours on hold with Adobe reps trying to help me untangle this.

So please, if ANYBODY here has actual, personal successfully experience in doing this type of "switch off - switch on" Adobe subscription thing PLEASE post here how you managed it. I would LOVE to be able to execute that as well.

I'll even be glad to switch to the much more expensive monthly plan - rather than the annual plan with the realization that unless I successfully kill it on EXACTLY the renewal date, stiff penalties may apply - and if I let it go even a day beyond auto-renewal - that means I'm on the hook for more than $150 in cancellation fees for the next yearly cycle.

Help. Please.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 2, 2017 at 7:41:07 pm

[Bill Davis] "So please, if ANYBODY here has actual, personal successfully experience in doing this type of "switch off - switch on" Adobe subscription thing PLEASE post here how you managed it. I would LOVE to be able to execute that as well. "

I have twice. Okay, so both times my credit card was closed due to theft and Adobe was like "Hey, we're trying to bill you but we can't..." and I let my account go dark for a bit because I wasn't using CC. Technically that counts, right? ๐Ÿ˜‰

I know you've been struggling with your account snafu for a while, and this may be an extreme suggestion, but what if you change your payment method to a prepaid CC?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 2, 2017 at 7:47:13 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "I know you've been struggling with your account snafu for a while, and this may be an extreme suggestion, but what if you change your payment method to a prepaid CC?

"

If you use PayPal it's easy to "switch off" the debits

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 2, 2017 at 8:05:47 pm

Adobe seems to have updated their account management system. You should now be able to cancel with a couple clicks online:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/cancel-membership.html

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 2, 2017 at 9:25:55 pm

No need for the snark.

Bill's been getting double billed for his Adobe subscription for a year or so (IIRC) due to an error on Adobe's part that they haven't been able to rectify. I don't think wanting to the ability to cancel a subscription to be as easy as signing up for the subscription is that much of an ask.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on May 2, 2017 at 10:04:06 pm

Who hasn't had occasion in this modern world to become irritated by the inefficiencies of a supplier's delivery systems?

Most of us are sufficiently grown up not to escalate those irritations into a long-running campaign to belittle the supplier's entire product line.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 4, 2017 at 3:55:30 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Most of us are sufficiently grown up not to escalate those irritations into a long-running campaign to belittle the supplier's entire product line."

I'd greatly appreciate it if you' please stop egregiously lying about my post history, Simon.

I challenge you to find a SINGLE post where I "belittle the suppliers entire product line."

The ONLY thing I challenge is their subscription method. I don't use their products so I try not to comment on them other than to ask for clarification and express my admittedly limited understanding of how they might work.

Of course nobody EVER does that in relation to the products I elect to use.

So again, please stop spreading mis-information about me.

It's rude.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]