FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX to Resolve Audio Workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
FCPX to Resolve Audio Workflow
on Apr 25, 2017 at 5:51:56 pm

Now that Resolve has a really nice audio toolset I am curious to know what the best way is to send audio from Final Cut to Resolve for sound work. Is this suggested? If yes, what is the best approach? What about roles? While roles will not translate over to Resolve what is the best way to handle this?

I am very exicted by the news and recently added the beta version to give it a try. For now my preference is to edit in Final Cut and use Resolve for grading along with audio work. Kudos to the Blackmagic Design team!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCPX to Resolve Audio Workflow
on Apr 25, 2017 at 10:57:32 pm

[David Mathis] "Now that Resolve has a really nice audio toolset I am curious to know what the best way is to send audio from Final Cut to Resolve for sound work. Is this suggested?"

Right now, v12.5.5, audio is kinda of a hot mess from FCPX to Resolve. X2Pro AAFs don't work because there's no video in them.

Perhaps this will change with v14, one can only hope.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCPX to Resolve Audio Workflow
on Apr 26, 2017 at 12:36:26 am
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on Apr 26, 2017 at 12:43:45 am

I can only say that when I got an FCPX edit to go into Resolve (fcpxml), I asked that the audio be totally stripped out. The reasons for that is that in the past I didn't want that audio from X as it was a whole lot of reconnecting to do and so often there was missing media. Jeremy is right. Audio is a mess via fcpxml in Resolve 12

As for how this new Resolve will handle lanes & roles I can't say, but I will test this. As a Fairlight user this Resolve version is huge for me as I can crunch down to a single computer and put all the grunt in that. Also it effectively eliminates the need for OMF and AAF audio interchange. So getting everything via XML is now mission critical. I know the smart folk they gained from Fairlight will be able to get all XML formats to work effectively for video and audio content. Fairlight used be able to directly import FCP Legend XMLs so I can presume that means Legend and Pr are already solid. X is too hopefully as the game has now changed to those primary XML formats. I have no idea how AAF for video and sound will work from Avid but I am pretty confident that Blackmagic will be working hard to make that solid too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]