FORUMS: list search recent posts

This Is A Nightmare!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francis Robertson
This Is A Nightmare!
on Jul 7, 2011 at 4:06:04 pm

Don't get me wrong, with a little practice I can get my head around this thing but it is currently so alien to me!

Audio and video clips side by side on the timeline??!!

No audio Mixer (that I can see, happy for somebody to prove me wrong)

All stereo tracks nested into one clip???

It is so counterintuitive that it beggars belief!

There was nothing (or very little) wrong with the old timeline, and now they expect us to learn to walk again?

How am I supposed to organise an hour long / 90 min sequence full of sync, music, narration, sound fx etc with this???

One of the great joys of having plain old ordinary 'tracks' was you could solo them or turn them off.

Plus you could route them through an analogue mixer and mix on the fly during viewings in case an element was drowned out, not that you could do that anyway because there's NO FU**ING BLACKMAGIC SUPPORT!!!!

Return to posts index

Eli Hollander
Re: This Is A Nightmare!
on Jul 7, 2011 at 4:26:04 pm

Before you go ballistic, do your homework--go through one of the excellent interactive tutorials available out there... learn a bit about the way FCP X works.

If you take the time and you do learn this application, you'll see how practically everything you mention doesn't fit your conclusions. Of course, if you want to cling to your (editing) past, there's always FCP 7 or any of the other alternatives.

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Jul 7, 2011 at 4:34:58 pm

Why is new always deemed better?

The editing 'past' seemed to be perfectly ok for, er, everyone.

Wheels may have become better made, but they're still bloody round.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 7, 2011 at 4:51:00 pm

[Julian Bowman] "Why is new always deemed better?

The editing 'past' seemed to be perfectly ok for, er, everyone."

They have already tried the 'you're just not trying hard enough' talking point. So maybe you're just not holding it right.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Francis Robertson
on Jul 7, 2011 at 4:36:36 pm

I'm sure you're right Eli, I just feel like I'm being told (by apple) that all the editing techniques and workflows that I have learned over the years are yesterdays news.

It feels very arrogant on apples part.

And given that I have to swap between avid and fcp, I can see it being a very uncomfortable few hours in the edit suite if I have haven't used one for a few months. Not really fair on my clients.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Jul 7, 2011 at 4:51:08 pm

Don't worry.
Calm down and launch FCP7.

Does it still work?
And it will in Lion.

In a year, see how FCPX 1.0 is updated.
If you still don't like it.
Use FCP7 or switch to something else.

Sounds like a luxurary problem to me.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 7, 2011 at 4:54:50 pm

yeah this is one of those cases where jumping right into FCP X does you no favors. Can't see the likelihood of a job where you'll be required to use it. So let it simmer a bit more while they get it up to speed. Stay with FCP 7 for now if it's meeting your needs.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Francis Robertson
on Jul 7, 2011 at 5:01:14 pm

All you is true Noah, it doesn't stop me from being pissed off unfortunately, thanks tho.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Jul 7, 2011 at 5:43:42 pm

I bought FCP X on Tuesday. I can't figure out how to export to WMV so I went back to FCP 7 on the same machine. All is well in the world. I will work it out eventually.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jul 7, 2011 at 6:17:08 pm

And it will in Lion.

Without a dot point upgrade to FCP7?

Keep dreaming.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

John Godden
on Jul 7, 2011 at 7:02:02 pm

From the Apple FCPX FAQ: "......... Final Cut Pro 7 will work with Mac OS X Lion".

cheers
JohnG

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jul 7, 2011 at 7:15:13 pm

From the Apple FCPX FAQ: "......... Final Cut Pro 7 will work with Mac OS X Lion".

Yes, and because Apple says it, on paper even, it must be true. FCP7 will "work" with Lion the way Democrats "work" with Republicans in congress. And when all the users start complaining about buggy behavior, Apple can say "well it worked on the one work station in the back room we tried it on." Oh wait, they won't even say that, because, as you know, there no longer is any FCP7 support.

NO operating system upgrade has ever worked right off the bat with FCP without problems. And what about your I/O drivers. Do you think AJA and Blackmagic are busy writing Lion drivers for an EOL'd editor. I don't. And even the Apple FAQ didn't say they were. And as you know, everything Apple says is true. And that goes double for what they don't say.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 7, 2011 at 7:01:44 pm

The nightmare will really begin when the NLE you switch to (Avid/Adobe) start trying to steal from FCP X and begin badly grafting stuff onto it's existing GUI.

Case in point ... The Smart Tool in avid MC5. , which is designed to allow Avid to imitate the behavior of the FCP7 and Adobe timeline. It's irritating to many longtime Avid users (like myself) and doesn't really make Avid seem any more FCP like to me (also a longtime FCP user).

Return to posts index

Andrew Wilson
on Jul 7, 2011 at 7:05:50 pm

I so badly want Premiere or AVID to support my Audio Mixer Control Surface. My (now discontinued) Tascam FW-1082 is my favorite FCP 7 accessory.

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 7, 2011 at 7:38:25 pm

Why in God's name would they want to steal ANYTHING from FCP X?

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 7, 2011 at 7:50:45 pm

A few years ago everyone editing on Avid thought FCP was a toy. Then Avid started adding features to make it more appealing to people were used to FCP.

Bank on it. the same will happen with FCP X. All the people cutting their teeth on FCP X will demand it when they turn "pro".

Return to posts index

Owen Wexler
on Jul 7, 2011 at 10:23:36 pm

Believe it or not, I'm watching Larry Jordan's FCPX training now and I think Apple did have a few good ideas with FCPX (key word: A FEW). The keywording system (although it should have been included in the existing paradigm of projects, sequences, and bins), clip connections are a fantastic way to keep video elements in sync (but it could have and should have been incorporated into a track-based editing system), and the skimmer - people hate on it but from what I see it's a great way to look through a long clip quickly. WIth that said, they definitely had more bad ideas than good and threw too much of the baby out with the bathwater.

Point is, I could see a few of FCPX's better ideas being incorporated.

Cinematographer - Editor - Motion Graphics Artist - Colorist

http://www.owenbwexler.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 7, 2011 at 10:45:41 pm

[Owen Wexler] "...I think Apple did have a few good ideas with FCPX (key word: A FEW).

...WIth that said, they definitely had more bad ideas than good and threw too much of the baby out with the bathwater.

Point is, I could see a few of FCPX's better ideas being incorporated.
"

There are few anywhere who would disagree with these points. Those who get pissed-off at people who aren't onboard completely with FCP X fail to recognize that not every one who's disappointed believes that every new element of X is garbage. The guys that created X clearly miscalculated any number of things, and the sooner they realize it the better we'll all be.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Howard Clark
on Oct 19, 2011 at 9:11:00 am

I agree.

I had a quad core with final cut studio 6. It was great I shoot and process HD. Worked a treat.

I just had my 12 core delivered with new lion software and cant tell you how angry and p*ssed off I am.

All of my old software no longer works on the Lion - what a waste of money - angry of what.

I downloaded FC X and it is worse than previous final cuts. I doesn't load of process my HD well (if at all).

The presets for ingestion are all gone.

My life isn't worth living if I have to go through the automated voice IVR on the apple 'no bloody help' service again

I get to spend thousands of pounds with apple to get nobody interested in helping me solve my problem

Today I make the decision to send the whole thing back of not

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]