FORUMS: list search recent posts

Way OT: Prince, a year ago today

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilson
Way OT: Prince, a year ago today
on Apr 21, 2017 at 7:16:20 pm

I happen to know that there are some Prince fans here, so I thought I'd bring forward an article I wrote last year. Not just because it's about Prince, but because of a specifically post-production focus.

Steve Purcell is the Senior VP of Post Production at Chainsaw/SIM Digital in Hollywood, and had posted an amazing clip of Prince riffing on piano with Gershwin's Summertime during a soundcheck in Osaka from the years that he worked as Prince's primary video editor and director. It got 9 million views in the first couple of days it was up, and you really have to see it to believe it.

And if it's been a year since you've seen it, watch again. You STILL won't believe it.

Here's part of my introduction to that article to set it further in context:

Steve has been around since the 80s, as one of the founders of The Post Group, which started as five guys, and grew to become one of the biggest houses in town, with over 200 people. Steve rose to the top, and after 10 years as Senior Editor, left in 1989 to start SLP Productions.

Over the next 20+ years, before arriving at Chainsaw as the GM in 2012, he has picked up an Emmy, a Grammy, and an astonishing array of clients and projects as an editor, director, and producer: Paul McCartney, Elton John, Barbara Streisand, Van Halen, BB King, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, James Brown, Blink 182, Yanni, Mavis Staples, Meatloaf, The USC Shoah Foundation, Pee-Wee's Playhouse, and yes, you guessed it, Prince.

"I edited a concert for him, and established a relationship through that," Steve tells us. "I was his go-to guy for anything music video-, concert-, or behind the scenes-related, for six years." This included editing Prince's films Sign 'o' the Times and Graffiti Bridge, music videos including "Kiss," "Batdance" (both of which were #1 US singles), "Diamonds & Pearls," and many more.

It also included extensive touring with Prince, which led to this jaw-dropping video. Simple enough – Prince and a few members of his band during a soundcheck in Osaka, riffing on George Gershwin's "Summertime," from the musical Porgy & Bess.

The article ends with a nifty behind-the-scenes/making of video by NFL Films re: Prince's Super Bowl performance. Lots of details that folks here will appreciate, including logistics for handling that much live electricity in the rain, too wet to rehearse, but with Prince asking, "Can you make it rain harder?"

All in all, it's a pretty cool article, if I say so myself, and actually not all that far from being on topic in the scheme of things. Certainly not around here. 😎

Prince: Musician

Return to posts index

andy patterson
Re: Way OT: Prince, a year ago today
on Apr 22, 2017 at 8:47:54 am

I am not a fan of Mitch Ryder but I think this totally rocks! I am not sure if Prince liked it or not.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Apr 22, 2017 at 12:08:16 am

man, I like prince and all, but something is fully screwy with the Creative Cow notifications. I've gotten no less than 12 email notifications of this article and thread.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 22, 2017 at 4:00:44 am

[Andy Neil] "man, I like prince and all, but something is fully screwy with the Creative Cow notifications. I've gotten no less than 12 email notifications of this article and thread.
"

Thanks for the heads up! I've only gotten one, as expected, but I'll take a look at the alert mechanism to see if I see anything afoot.

tw

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 22, 2017 at 2:30:16 pm

By pure coincidence I landed in Minneapolis for work yesterday. I did not realize it was the anniversary before I got here, but once I did there was no way to avoid it. This city loved that guy. I walked down to watch a Twins game last night and they had a cool tribute and seemingly all the between-innings music was his. I overheard many stories about people running into him biking downtown or going to Paisely Park events. Very cool.

Scott Witthaus
Owner, 1708 Inc./Editorial
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]