FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX 10.3.3 released

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Garchow
FCPX 10.3.3 released
on Apr 13, 2017 at 8:17:44 pm

As well as Motion 5.3.1

No linkable release notes that I can find, yet.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCPX 10.3.3 released
on Apr 13, 2017 at 8:33:23 pm

....and notes released:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201237

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 13, 2017 at 9:19:54 pm

I don't see any notes on the new update. Just clicked on the link, only shows 10.3.2 at the top. One thing I absolutely loathe is you cannot create a custom folder and drag it to the photos sidebar. I loathe the idea of having to create another Photos Library for graphics just to use the sidebar to bring in graphics or stills. What the hell were they thinking? The only other option I can think of is to drag a folder in the Import Browser to the Favorites area. Not very ideal but beats of having to jump through hoops to use the other method.

Kids, you better leave the room because I feel a gutter mouth convention starting soon. 😉

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 13, 2017 at 9:56:33 pm

Now the notes are there. Guess the page needed a refresh. More colors for roles is nice and the diamond icon in the index is nice. I just want to the ability to drag folders into the Photos sidebar.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 13, 2017 at 10:04:13 pm

What is the diamond icon? I looked quickly but didn't see it.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 13, 2017 at 10:15:33 pm

The icon shows up in the Timeline Index anytime a role has been modified by a user.

Tetris is my favorite video game unless tracks are involved.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 13, 2017 at 10:18:40 pm

Edit: It shows up in the Timeline Index when user has modified display of Roles in the timeline.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 13, 2017 at 10:39:42 pm

But what does that mean?

[David Mathis] "Edit: It shows up in the Timeline Index when user has modified display of Roles in the timeline."

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 14, 2017 at 12:43:16 am

It could mean someone changed colors or the Role name. I love it when Apple is so vague about a new feature.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Apr 14, 2017 at 12:55:18 am

[David Mathis] "It could mean someone changed colors or the Role name. I love it when Apple is so vague about a new feature.
"

I thought it was meant as an indicator that the media in the browser associated with the clip has a different role assigned to it (since it's possible to change the role in the timeline without changing the role in the master clip).

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 14, 2017 at 12:57:57 am

That would make sense.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Apr 14, 2017 at 12:59:16 am

[David Mathis] "That would make sense.
"

So you're saying, that can't be it?

😄

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 14, 2017 at 2:02:41 am

Every clip in my timeline would have a diamond next to it.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 17, 2017 at 3:35:17 pm

[Bret Williams] "Every clip in my timeline would have a diamond next to it."

I may have found it:

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 17, 2017 at 4:36:50 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Apr 17, 2017 at 4:52:59 pm

[Bret Williams] "Every clip in my timeline would have a diamond next to it."

Then you might simply try assigning roles BEFORE you add the clips to the timeline or even upon import? That's kinda the whole point. 😜

- RK

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 18, 2017 at 3:22:01 am

I don't have much need for that. Plus, you always end up missing some in the end anyway when you try to do that. And throw multiple people working on a project into the mix and it's just not going to happen.

I use roles mostly to assist in the final audio mix and then to output discreet mix masters. It takes very little time to sort out in the timeline prior to that process.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Apr 13, 2017 at 8:36:37 pm

Hmm. Bug fixes but nothing that addresses the weirdness I've been seeing lately.

Andy

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Apr 13, 2017 at 9:13:50 pm

What kind of weirdness? Perhaps those fixes just aren’t listed in the release notes.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Apr 13, 2017 at 10:13:26 pm

[James Cude] "What kind of weirdness?"

Mostly glitchy behavior and some crashing. One thing that I've been noticing fairly often is when I have one project open and I then open another project from another library, then go back to my original project, the visual display in the project window changes to the chicklet view.

I've been seeing issues where if I place a dissolve between two pieces of audio with different levels, the dissolve doesn't always smooth the audio cut. It doesn't remember window positions. If I have the angle viewer and inspector open at the same time while adjusting a title, FCPX is vulnerable to crashing.

But the most annoying bug I've encountered is that occasionally when working, the play (spacebar) and play forward (L) keys stop working in the timeline. I have to select a different window like the event browser and then go back to the timeline to fix. Only it's not really fixed. The second I go back to the browser for another clip or whatever, when I'm back in the timeline the shortcuts will be broken again.

Andy

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 13, 2017 at 11:15:10 pm

[Andy Neil] "Mostly glitchy behavior and some crashing."

Interesting. Anyone else getting bugs like this? I am not seeing them, but that might not mean "nuthin"!

Scott Witthaus
Owner, 1708 Inc./Editorial
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

John Young
on Apr 14, 2017 at 3:00:09 am

Yes. The chicklet bug drives me insane. I also have trouble with clip names disappearing in list view.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Apr 14, 2017 at 4:48:34 am

[John Young] "I also have trouble with clip names disappearing in list view."

Yes! I have that too. Minor annoyance, but still an annoyance.

Andy

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Apr 15, 2017 at 3:15:02 am

I have frequently seen the clip names disappear in the browser and thought maybe I hit the wrong key. That is an irritating bug.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 14, 2017 at 2:57:57 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Anyone else getting bugs like this?"

Yes.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Apr 14, 2017 at 3:20:36 am

[Andy Neil] "the most annoying bug I've encountered is that occasionally when working, the play (spacebar) and play forward (L) keys stop working in the timeline. I have to select a different window like the event browser"

I have seen this

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 13, 2017 at 10:07:02 pm

I don't see it mentioned but the Audio FX icons have changed.

Return to posts index

Gerry Fraiberg
on Apr 14, 2017 at 9:09:49 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I don't see it mentioned but the Audio FX icons have changed.
"

Perhaps a sign of things to come?

- Gerry Fraiberg
Media Handyman - videographer, editor, photographer, voice over artist.

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Apr 14, 2017 at 2:15:42 am

Just updated and notice that the Flow transition doesn't look as good. Now it looks like a crappy dissolve. A previous render under 10.3.2 looks smooth, this doesn't.

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Apr 14, 2017 at 2:28:32 am

Interesting... Noticed that I had to adjust the front end by 1 frame to get that same smooth motion. Strange.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Apr 14, 2017 at 6:43:43 pm
Last Edited By Doug Metz on Apr 14, 2017 at 6:46:16 pm

[Craig Shields] " ...the Flow transition doesn't look as good. Now it looks like a crappy dissolve. A previous render under 10.3.2 looks smooth, this doesn't."

I noticed this too. Even if I modify the in/out on either side, or if I change the duration of the transition, it still isn't as good as it was in 10.3.2. Not cool.

Also noticed that audio clips assigned the 'Music' role now fade up - no matter where you start playback in the timeline. Not exactly thrilled with this, either.

*Edit* Trashed prefs and relaunched... music fade-up is now back to previous behavior.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Apr 20, 2017 at 9:24:39 pm

Some people are saying that the Flow transition now looks like a dissolve, and others are saying that it behaves correctly. If that’s what you mean, what is the GPU on your computer?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 20, 2017 at 9:37:22 pm

I also experienced the issue with the Flow transition.
It seems intermittent. Sometimes removing and reapplying appears to improved it's behavior.
I contacted Apple FCPX Support.
They asked for and I sent them my system profile and a short screen capture showing Flow behaving as a Dissolve.
Late 2013 6 Core Mac Pro with dual AMD Firepro 500.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 14, 2017 at 2:27:08 am

Did they put the titles and generators back where they belong?

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 14, 2017 at 9:34:44 am

Thanks for the list of bugs and "annoyances". Will keep an eye out. I assume these all went to product feedback?

Scott Witthaus
Owner, 1708 Inc./Editorial
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Apr 14, 2017 at 4:10:40 pm

I thought it was just me that found the Titles, SFX and Generator move to the Event Browser really annoying!

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 14, 2017 at 9:59:44 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Apr 14, 2017 at 10:06:54 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "No linkable release notes that I can find, yet."

When in doubt: App Store. ;)

For prosperity:

Final Cut Pro X
What's New in Version 10.3.3
• Ability to expand the width of the Inspector to view and adjust effect parameters
• Fixes issues with updating older libraries
• Faster redraw of audio waveforms when using clips that are being imported while recorded to disk
• Diamond icon in the Timeline Index to show when the user has modified display of roles in the timeline
• More color options in the Role Editor
• Reveal in Browser correctly displays the location of the original clip in the browser
• Support for Canon Log 3 and Sony S-Log3/S-Gamut3 log processing
• Resolves an issue in which the viewer could occasionally disappear when exiting full screen
• Resolves issues in which Share to DVD could become unresponsive
• Improves font quality of DVD menu and chapter titles
• Improves image quality when creating a DVD
• Enhanced DVD User dialog messages with embedded links to documentation

Motion
What's New in Version 5.3.2
• Fill filter lets you quickly fill an entire layer without requiring a separate layer and mask
• Missing plug-ins are identified correctly when opening a project
• Midtones are represented accurately when using the Color Balance filter
• Improves stability when scaling shapes from or to zero
• Improves stability when working with duplicated rigged filters and behaviors
• Fixes a stability issue that could occur when using keyboard shortcuts while a keyframe is selected in the Keyframe Editor
• Improves stability when moving the cursor across markers during playback

Compressor
What's New in Version 4.3.2
• Command line options for monitoring job status
• Dithering option adds noise to images to minimize distracting patterns such as color banding
• Option when creating iTunes Store package to identify health warning text as required by Indian law
• Improves watermark image quality
• Support for animated PNG and animated GIF image sequences
• Timecode filter is accurately displayed against drop-frame media
• Fixes sync for audio transcoded to AC-3
• Resolves issues in which Share to DVD could become unresponsive
• Improves font quality of DVD menu and chapter titles
• Improves image quality when creating a DVD
• Enhanced DVD User dialog messages with embedded links to documentation

- RK

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Apr 14, 2017 at 7:22:57 pm

I also see interface bugs, such as: When in Colorboard, the headings for Color, Saturation, Exposure will suddenly go blank on the unchosen tab, then when I click on a "blank" tab, that one appears and the others go blank.

It's of no consequence to work, of course, but along with various other items mentioned here, which I also see, makes me nervous as UI oddities usually point to some underlying instability.

A couple of times, working with stock titles and effects, when I applied an effect ("Underwater") to a stock title effect ("Pixie Dust"?) ... the effect worked, played back once or twice ... then hung up, necessitating a force quick. When I re-opened and tried to play the effect, same result ... had to delete the effect.

Again, not profound ... and I can understand that applying an animated effect to an already animated title might be asking too much, as the math fights itself. Still, instability here and there lately.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Apr 14, 2017 at 10:44:58 pm

reading all the responses...this seems to be a Bugs Added release

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 14, 2017 at 10:48:04 pm

I'm still on El Captain.

Is everyone else on sierra?

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 15, 2017 at 12:42:19 am

I wished I had backed up the previous version. Thankfully one of my drives has El Capitan along with 10.2.3 on it.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 15, 2017 at 12:45:47 am

10.3 is working for me. I don't see these same bugs. Sometimes, it may lose focus, it seems it's a video out thing.

Pr crashes way more often. Pr crashed so hard the other day, it freaked out my SAN and kicked everyone off. Ended up being all good, but it was a tense 5 minutes while everything rebooted.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 15, 2017 at 12:54:00 am

I get a beacball under all the 10.3 versions at startup when its loading a Library. Still irritated that you can't drag a folder into the Photos sidebar. I guess I will just set up a Library for the graphics and music library.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 15, 2017 at 1:02:20 am

[David Mathis] " I guess I will just set up a Library for the graphics and music library."

A good way to do it because you can have multiple libraries open (something you can't do with Pr in having multiple projects open, although they have different ways of doing "Libraries" that involve the cloud).

Another way:

Set up a template Library. Add Graphics and Music as events. Every time you start a new library, start with a dupe of the template. If you add more stock, update the template.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 15, 2017 at 1:07:24 am

Something like this?

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Apr 15, 2017 at 4:44:23 am

[David Mathis] "Something like this?
"

I do what Jeremy's suggesting actually and it's simpler than XML templates. Those are fine if you don't have media you want to move from place to place, or if you have everything on a single shared drive.

For me, I have a template library that has folders, smart collections, and some keywords that I always use. It also has a music library (specific to these projects) and some graphics and show opens that are also specific. I built the library, imported the music, gfx and show opens with the library set to store imported items into the library itself. Then I changed the media setting to a folder that could be accessed by multiple libraries and closed it out.

Now, when I start a new project with this team, I duplicate the library at the finder level, rename it and open it and everything is ready to go.

Andy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 15, 2017 at 10:21:57 pm

[David Mathis] "Something like this?"

XML is one way to do it.

Poste Haste is another.

I use final cut library manager which has a template function.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 16, 2017 at 1:22:51 am

Thanks. Going to give it a look.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 15, 2017 at 10:23:23 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Pr crashes way more often. Pr crashed so hard the other day, it freaked out my SAN and kicked everyone off. Ended up being all good, but it was a tense 5 minutes while everything rebooted."

Obviously you're really there and I'm just hypothesizing, but it seems more intuitive to me that the SAN freaking out could cause the Premiere crash than the other way around. I wonder if the high number of issues you've had with Premiere may be related somehow to your storage?

Of course, this doesn't excuse Pr's crashiness; I'm just wondering if there's something unique or quirky about your setup that Pr is not handling well, and if there's something you could do to address it.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 15, 2017 at 3:42:26 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Obviously you're really there and I'm just hypothesizing, but it seems more intuitive to me that the SAN freaking out could cause the Premiere crash than the other way around. I wonder if the high number of issues you've had with Premiere may be related somehow to your storage?"

It would be more intuitive for me too.

My computer froze when using Pr, completely froze with no warning. Everyone else got kicked off the SAN. This only happens if there's something wrong with the SAN (obvious when the SAN master isn't working as that computer is unresponsive) or there's a major read/write event that the SAN doesn't like and it kicks everyone off to protect the data. I could manually connect everyone back on. Instead I just restarted the entire system. Whatever happened l, it was the first of its kind and hasn't happened since. Sure, this could have been coincidence, but my machine using Pr seemed to have caused it. I wouldn't even know how to begin to track it down as for now, it was an isolated case. Pr has been a struggle with this project. It's almost over. Pr has also frozen my laptop connected to local storage.

Pr crashes on a SAN, Pr crashes on local storage, on both laptop and desktop in multiple locations. While storage is easy to suspect, it doesn't seem to be the common culprit as the storage changes, and the software I'm using remains constant.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Apr 15, 2017 at 9:16:34 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Pr crashes on a SAN, Pr crashes on local storage, on both laptop and desktop in multiple locations. While storage is easy to suspect, it doesn't seem to be the common culprit as the storage changes, and the software I'm using remains constant."

When you store local, are you still hooked up to the switch? Basically, I'm blaming Media Browser. It's always looking at-
and for a network. That's my hypothesis, free internet advice, as it were.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 15, 2017 at 10:13:19 pm

[Richard Herd] "When you store local, are you still hooked up to the switch? "

Rarely. Local is usually away from the SAN.

It's funny you mention Media Browser, my Favorite locations are never stored. How do you know it's looking for a network?

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Apr 18, 2017 at 9:24:49 pm

I assume there is a service that is always running, so that when Premiere is on it looks for drives to map, and oh how it loves to map drives. I cannot figure out a way to tell Premiere "do not map a drive that I've connected to."

When I eject a drive, Premiere does not disconnect from it, although the media are no longer available. If I re-start Premiere the drives are gone, and here's the thing: if I connect to the drive again, it appears in Premiere.

I'm pretty sure there are some very detailed details here and whatever they are is causing the bizarreness you're dealing with. I have unfortunately no further solutions. I just think its very weird how Media Browser works.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Apr 18, 2017 at 12:26:21 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Pr crashes on a SAN, Pr crashes on local storage, on both laptop and desktop in multiple locations. While storage is easy to suspect, it doesn't seem to be the common culprit as the storage changes, and the software I'm using remains constant."

Are you on Mac or PC? If you are on a Mac is Premiere the only thing running? People have reported Premiere on it's own works fine but once Safari and other programs are open Premiere gets glitchy. Is that OS X's fault or Premiere's fault? Could it be a combination of both? If you are on Windows I would wonder if it is MS's fault or Premiere's fault. Keep in mind no OS is perfect and no software program is perfect.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 18, 2017 at 1:01:30 pm

[andy patterson] "Are you on Mac or PC?"

Mac.

I'm well aware of imperfect software, but when things crash the exact same way on multiple configurations, it is hard to overlook the commonality.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 15, 2017 at 9:12:40 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Apr 15, 2017 at 10:23:27 am

[Douglas K. Dempsey] "I also see interface bugs, such as: When in Colorboard, the headings for Color, Saturation, Exposure will suddenly go blank on the unchosen tab, then when I click on a "blank" tab, that one appears and the others go blank."

I'm assuming you're talking about <10.3.3? Because yes, I had this one a few times also, along with the disappearing names in list view. Reported both and haven't seen them in 10.3.3 so far.

[Douglas K. Dempsey] "as UI oddities usually point to some underlying instability."

Er, no. Just underlying graphics issues.

[Douglas K. Dempsey] "... the effect worked, played back once or twice ... then hung up, necessitating a force quick."

Just tried it several times and am not seeing it. Must be related to something else.

- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]