FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple working on new Mac Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Ross
Apple working on new Mac Pro
on Apr 4, 2017 at 1:40:32 pm

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/4/15175916/apple-mac-pro-redesign-plans

Rethinking the design, and admitting they painted themselves into a corner with the tube design. BUT...won't come out this year. Looks like they are feeling the heat of the Pro User market abandoning the Mac rather vocally.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Apple working on new Mac Pro
on Apr 4, 2017 at 4:30:49 pm

I wonder if this is any indication of the (growing or waning) influence of Sir Jony Ive over the Mac design.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 4, 2017 at 4:42:01 pm

Also all-new Apple branded displays- should make for many an NAB discussion.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 4, 2017 at 4:45:18 pm

New "pro" iMacs this year?

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 4, 2017 at 4:50:56 pm

Yes, I think this is more likely a 2017 NAB discussion starter.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 4, 2017 at 4:49:58 pm

I'm certain that there will many discussions about the displays at the 2018 NAB.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 4, 2017 at 4:58:05 pm

This got my attention:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2017/04/apple-reveals-touch-bar...

Was just surfing Facebook when I came across the article. Looks like one wish has a decent chance of being fulfilled. Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 4, 2017 at 5:30:18 pm

And more:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2017/04/microsoft-may-have-push...

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 4, 2017 at 9:45:01 pm

Although Apple had been working on a lot of these projects years ahead of Microsoft, as far as Joe-public is concerned, it's Microsoft who is bringing new things to market before Apple. It's Microsoft that is now an innovator in hardware. And as they say, perception is 99% reality.

Perhaps Apple will have a rethink on the secrecy game. It really doesn't work when people have to make business decisions.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 4, 2017 at 10:25:41 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Apr 4, 2017 at 10:27:36 pm

Well...

According to the metric of actually growing an enterprise into a global behemoth and still retaining a sense of being a leading edge creative enterprise, the penchant for secrecy along the way hasn't seemed to damage them all that much, has it? I kinda think they've done all right, actually.

FWIW

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 5, 2017 at 6:59:11 pm

[Bill Davis] " the penchant for secrecy along the way hasn't seemed to damage them all that much, has it? I kinda think they've done all right, actually."

Bill, it's a brave new world out there and your looking backwards.

Next you'll be talking about the days when IBM ruled and people were cutting Quad videotape with magnets and razor blades.

As should know, nothing matters but the future to which Apple's past accomplishment mean little or nothing. Living in the past ...

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 5, 2017 at 7:33:40 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Bill, it's a brave new world out there and your looking backwards"

I'll ape the old "the past is prolog" thing - and trust that my machine won't auto-correct that into ProRes.

😃

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 5, 2017 at 8:09:36 pm

[Bill Davis] "I'll ape the old "the past is prolog" thing - and trust that my machine won't auto-correct that into ProRes. "

"The past is ProRes". Love it. Might add it to my handle.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 4, 2017 at 11:13:09 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Although Apple had been working on a lot of these projects years ahead of Microsoft, as far as Joe-public is concerned, it's Microsoft who is bringing new things to market before Apple. It's Microsoft that is now an innovator in hardware. And as they say, perception is 99% reality.

Perhaps Apple will have a rethink on the secrecy game. It really doesn't work when people have to make business decisions."

I didn't see who made the original comment, but I wonder which projects Apple had been working on years ahead of Microsoft.. I'm not exactly "Joe-public", so I'd like to know why Microsoft isn't an innovator in hardware, someone will have to explain that one to me.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Apr 4, 2017 at 11:54:01 pm

Microsoft is essentially a software company - they began moving into the hardware realm around 2011, and have not seen great success in that side of the business. According to their 10-K annual report, required by the SEC for all publicly traded companies in the US, they imply that there are too many "risk factors" inherent in the hardware side of things, and it would reduce their operating margins:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-radical-new-business-plan-is-hidden...

Seems to be almost the inverse of Apple's approach to things, but it certainly works for Microsoft.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 5, 2017 at 1:27:50 am

[Joseph W. Bourke] "Microsoft is essentially a software company - they began moving into the hardware realm around 2011, and have not seen great success in that side of the business. According to their 10-K annual report, required by the SEC for all publicly traded companies in the US, they imply that there are too many "risk factors" inherent in the hardware side of things, and it would reduce their operating margins:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-radical-new-business-plan-is-hidden.....

Seems to be almost the inverse of Apple's approach to things, but it certainly works for Microsoft."

No doubt that MS is first and foremost a software company, but they've actually been in the hardware business in a serious way since the early 2000's with internet connected entertainment appliances like the x-box and then multi-touch devices like the original Surface, which shipped around 05' or 06'. I don't think I'm allowed to say when I first saw the roadmap which included Surface Pro... but I would be really, really surprised if Apple was working on anything like it years ahead of it's release. ☺

Shawn

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 5, 2017 at 5:26:22 pm

[The Article at Patently Apple] "Although Apple had been working on a lot of these projects years ahead of Microsoft, as far as Joe-public is concerned, it's Microsoft who is bringing new things to market before Apple. It's Microsoft that is now an innovator in hardware. And as they say, perception is 99% reality."

I guess perception really is 99% reality, because this is yet another example of the "Only Apple Innovates" fallacy. Microsoft released their first computer mouse in 1983, the year before the Mac, shipped their first foray into pen-based UI a quarter century ago in 1991, and showed off a touchbar on an adaptive keyboard back in 2010 (before apparently rejecting it for being too awkward).

From the very same source:
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2016/11/it-appears-that-apples-...

In reality, Microsoft has a world-class research division, but they have done a dreadful job of commercializing their research. Microsoft has recently reorganized Microsoft Research to help bring their concepts to market more smoothly.

Cupertino, start your photocopiers?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 5, 2017 at 5:55:37 pm

[Walter Soyka] "
In reality, Microsoft has a world-class research division, but they have done a dreadful job of commercializing their research. Microsoft has recently reorganized Microsoft Research to help bring their concepts to market more smoothly."

Absolutely! Microsoft has always poured a ton of money, time and effort into research - and they have the patents to prove it. To your point though, a lot of that research was more or less academic and without a lot of focus on market viability... they seem to be getting better about that.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 5, 2017 at 8:55:08 pm

[Shawn Miller] "To your point though, a lot of that research was more or less academic and without a lot of focus on market viability... they seem to be getting better about that."

I hope they don't swing into focusing almost solely on viability. Many times the 'happy accidents' come from research for the sake of research. I also like seeing MS showing off concepts and prototypes that came from their labs even if there isn't a commercial viability on the horizon.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Apr 5, 2017 at 5:58:15 pm

The dilemma I have with Microsoft is Windows itself. I realize millions of people love Windows, and I use it a lot. For me, I can never seem to figure out how the interface is organized. The new round of Windows 10 forcing "updates" is a bit ridiculous. As a rule of thumb and best practice, always reboot your computer an hour or more before you need your computer. Windows is enterprise solution. IT departments across the country manage their "stuff" on that [thing], and what should it be called? A platform? An ecosystem? Windows is that huge. Can we also talk about registry files? .plist seems mo'bettuh. When Apple jumped from 9 to X, for me, that was the deal that broke my love for Windows -- having suffered through NT 4.0 for a long time and the nightmare of some really bad iterations like Millenium Edition. They did pretty well with XP. Windows 7 ok, we're shiny and new, but still, when I have to do real things, the interface was harsh-ish. Windows 10, honestly, broke so much crap in enterprise rollouts that I'm surprise there isn't more outrage, but mostly I think that gets overlooked because end user don't worry about that. "Why doesn't my wifi work anymore on this Surface Book but my iPhone still does?"

"Resist the temptation to upgrade."

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Apr 5, 2017 at 10:14:59 pm
Last Edited By andy patterson on Apr 7, 2017 at 1:38:46 am

[Richard Herd] "The dilemma I have with Microsoft is Windows itself. I realize millions of people love Windows, and I use it a lot. For me, I can never seem to figure out how the interface is organized"

You have the Metro GUI for tablets and a Desktop GUI that works great if you have a keyboard. With Apple you must buy two devices iPad/Laptop to try to keep up with the the Surface Pro (Windows 10 64 bit i7). Apple has iOS for touch screen devices and and OS X for devices with keyboard input.

[Richard Herd] "The new round of Windows 10 forcing "updates" is a bit ridiculous.

You can easily stop the Windows 10 updates by stopping services. I have posted a very short video that shows how to stop Windows 10 update services. Please let me know if you were able to follow along.

[Richard Herd] "As a rule of thumb and best practice, always reboot your computer an hour or more before you need your computer. Windows is enterprise solution. IT departments across the country manage their "stuff" on that [thing], and what should it be called? A platform? An ecosystem? Windows is that huge. Can we also talk about registry files? .plist seems mo'bettuh"

Ranting?Try criticisms.

[Richard Herd] "When Apple jumped from 9 to X, for me, that was the deal that broke my love for Windows"

All OS X introduced was a Windows 95 paradigm. Apple still uses a Windows 95 paradigm to this day as do the linux variants. Windows 8 was something new. Apple will catch up one day.

[Richard Herd] "having suffered through NT 4.0 for a long time and the nightmare of some really bad iterations like Millenium Edition."

Why did you buy the Millennium Edition?

[Richard Herd] "They did pretty well with XP. Windows 7 ok, we're shiny and new, but still, when I have to do real things, the interface was harsh-ish."

Harsh compared to the 3-D animated Dock of OS X? As you can see Apple did away with that tacky looking 3-D Dock.

[Richard Herd] "Windows 10, honestly, broke so much crap in enterprise rollouts that I'm surprise there isn't more outrage, but mostly I think that gets overlooked because end user don't worry about that."

I am surprised you are not outrage that Apple is still using a Windows 95 paradigm. I guess that just gets overlooked. To be honest Windows 7, Vista and XP used the Windows 95 paradigm as well.

[Richard Herd] ""Why doesn't my wifi work anymore on this Surface Book but my iPhone still does?"

"Resist the temptation to upgrade.""

The thread is about the Mac Pro. If you don't know how to stop the Windows 10 updates wouldn't it be better to ask for help instead of ranting? Ranting about Windows 10 with miss information doesn't make MS look bad. You know who it does make look bad? Honest criticism can be useful but ranting is useless. Honest criticism can be useful but ranting is useless. Windows is far from perfect but then again so is OS X. Having said that I hope the videos will be of some help.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Apr 5, 2017 at 11:21:07 pm

[Richard Herd] "The dilemma I have with Microsoft is Windows itself. I realize millions of people love Windows, and I use it a lot. For me, I can never seem to figure out how the interface is organized"

You have the Metro GUI for tablets and a Desktop GUI that works great if you have a keyboard. With Apple you must buy two devices iPad/Laptop to try to keep up with the the Surface Pro (Windows 10 64 bit i7). Apple has iOS for touch screen devices and and OS X for devices with keyboard input.

[Richard Herd] "The new round of Windows 10 forcing "updates" is a bit ridiculous.

You can easily stop the Windows 10 updates by stopping services. I have posted a very short video that shows how to stop Windows 10 update services. Please let me know if you were able to follow along.

[Richard Herd] "As a rule of thumb and best practice, always reboot your computer an hour or more before you need your computer. Windows is enterprise solution. IT departments across the country manage their "stuff" on that [thing], and what should it be called? A platform? An ecosystem? Windows is that huge. Can we also talk about registry files? .plist seems mo'bettuh"

Ranting?Try criticisms.

[Richard Herd] "When Apple jumped from 9 to X, for me, that was the deal that broke my love for Windows"

All OS X introduced was a Windows 95 paradigm. Apple still uses a Windows 95 paradigm to this day as do the linux variants. Windows 8 was something new. Apple will catch up one day.

[Richard Herd] "having suffered through NT 4.0 for a long time and the nightmare of some really bad iterations like Millenium Edition."

Why did you buy the Millennium Edition?

[Richard Herd] "They did pretty well with XP. Windows 7 ok, we're shiny and new, but still, when I have to do real things, the interface was harsh-ish."

Harsh compared to the 3-D animated Dock of OS X? As you can see Apple did away with that tacky looking 3-D Dock.

[Richard Herd] "Windows 10, honestly, broke so much crap in enterprise rollouts that I'm surprise there isn't more outrage, but mostly I think that gets overlooked because end user don't worry about that."

I am surprised you are not outrage that Apple is still using a Windows 95 paradigm. I guess that just gets overlooked. To be honest Windows 7, Vista and XP used the Windows 95 paradigm as well.

[Richard Herd] ""Why doesn't my wifi work anymore on this Surface Book but my iPhone still does?"

"Resist the temptation to upgrade.""

The thread is about the Mac Pro. If you don't know how to stop the Windows 10 updates wouldn't it be better to ask for help instead of ranting? Ranting about Windows 10 with miss information doesn't make MS look bad. You know who it does make look bad? Honest criticism can be useful but ranting is useless. Windows is far from perfect but then again so is OS X. Having said that I hope the videos will be of some help.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Apr 6, 2017 at 4:44:58 pm

Perhaps the irony is escaping you.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Apr 6, 2017 at 8:21:07 pm

[Richard Herd] "Perhaps the irony is escaping you."

How so? Ranting and honest criticism are two different things. When I heard about the Windows 10 automatic updates I was worried about Windows 10 myself but you can easily stop the Windows updates. You could have found the information to stop the automatic updates very easy but you would rather rant about Windows 10 then find an easy solution. You complained about a problem that does not even exists. When have I complained about a problem that doesn't exist with an Apple Product? Apple has no computers that offer dual CPU support or PCIe slots. That is a true statement and honest criticism. The iPad uses an iOS but the Surface Pro uses Windows 10 64 bit and an i7. That is honest criticism as opposed to ranting. There are some Apple users (not all) that want OS X to get touch screen support. Apple products are not going to get better if all you do is bad mouth Microsoft. Microsoft is not perfect and I have complained about Microsoft's short comings on these forums as well as Adobe's short comings. Having said that there are many Apple users on these forums that never complain about Apple but do complain about Microsoft. I have no problems criticizing them all.

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Apr 7, 2017 at 6:14:38 am

[andy patterson] "I was worried about Windows 10 myself but you can easily stop the Windows updates"

Sure, they're easy if you are familiar with "services", but for the fact they are default, they are user hostile. There are many things I dislike in MacOS, but I've never been tricked into doing a system update.

You make it sound like there's an office on a lower level at Microsoft with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the Leopard" that has the info I need to stop these incursions.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 7, 2017 at 7:26:47 am

[Scott Thomas] "You make it sound like there's an office on a lower level at Microsoft with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the Leopard" that has the info I need to stop these incursions."

You sir are a hoopy frood :)

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Apr 7, 2017 at 4:55:19 pm

[Steve Connor] "[Scott Thomas] "You make it sound like there's an office on a lower level at Microsoft with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the Leopard" that has the info I need to stop these incursions."

You sir are a hoopy frood :)"

Sounds like you've been to see Trin Tragular...

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Apr 7, 2017 at 7:35:18 am

[Scott Thomas] "[andy patterson] "I was worried about Windows 10 myself but you can easily stop the Windows updates"

Sure, they're easy if you are familiar with "services", but for the fact they are default, they are user hostile. There are many things I dislike in MacOS, but I've never been tricked into doing a system update.

You make it sound like there's an office on a lower level at Microsoft with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the Leopard" that has the info I need to stop these incursions."

The information is very easy to find on the internet. I could have been lazy and not bothered to look for the solution. Those that don't bother to look are really just looking for an excuse to bad mouth Windows. I would like it to be easier to stop the updates but in the year 2017 to complain about an issues that doesn't really exist seems odd to me. If you need help with FCPX, BMD or even AJA what do you do? You find the solution online. Why do you think these forums are here. Is this just a place for you to rant or do you ask for advise and give advise? I try to help on the Premiere Pro forums when I can.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 7, 2017 at 8:01:46 am

[andy patterson] "The information is very easy to find on the internet. I could have been lazy and not bothered to look for the solution. Those that don't bother to look are really just looking for an excuse to bad mouth Windows. I would like it to be easier to stop the updates but in the year 2017 to complain about an issues that doesn't really exist seems odd to me. If you need help with FCPX, BMD or even AJA what do you do? You find the solution online. Why do you think these forums are here. Is this just a place for you to rant or do you ask for advise and give advise? I try to help on the Premiere Pro forums when I can.

"

The one to bring balance to the forum he is :)

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Apr 7, 2017 at 8:23:28 am

[Steve Connor] "[andy patterson] "The information is very easy to find on the internet. I could have been lazy and not bothered to look for the solution. Those that don't bother to look are really just looking for an excuse to bad mouth Windows. I would like it to be easier to stop the updates but in the year 2017 to complain about an issues that doesn't really exist seems odd to me. If you need help with FCPX, BMD or even AJA what do you do? You find the solution online. Why do you think these forums are here. Is this just a place for you to rant or do you ask for advise and give advise? I try to help on the Premiere Pro forums when I can.

"

The one to bring balance to the forum he is ☺
"

If OS X had touch screen support and worked on the iPad with a core i7 CPU and the Surface Pro used a cellphone CPU and a mobile OS instead of Windows 10 64 bit I would complain about it. See my point? Apple does not have to be innovative when they have fanboyism and brand loyalty. Other companies have to worry about the competition : )

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 7, 2017 at 8:25:30 am
Last Edited By Steve Connor on Apr 7, 2017 at 8:59:49 am

[andy patterson] "Apple does not have to be innovative when they have fanboyism and brand loyalty."

Seems Microsoft have their own fanboys too

Perhaps we should start calling people "Advocates" instead?

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Apr 7, 2017 at 10:00:58 am

[Steve Connor] "Perhaps we should start calling people "Advocates" instead?"

You can call them whatever you want. The bottom line is there are Apple users that will not say anything negative about Apple and even get upset when you post honest criticism. I admit Adobe's CC sucks compared to the old CS paradigm. I criticized Adobe all the time in these forums.

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Apr 7, 2017 at 9:55:55 pm

[andy patterson] "See my point?"

You speak derisively of "phone" CPUs, but they are on what much of the industry is focused right now. Intel sold off their ARM chip license and designs many years ago, and have recently reacquired an ARM license. It's said that Intel has lost billions of dollars by not being in that space. Mobile is where the growth is.

From last year: http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/16/12939310/iphone-7-a10-fusion-processor-ap...

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Apr 7, 2017 at 11:05:42 pm

[Scott Thomas] "[andy patterson] "See my point?"

You speak derisively of "phone" CPUs, but they are on what much of the industry is focused right now. Intel sold off their ARM chip license and designs many years ago, and have recently reacquired an ARM license. It's said that Intel has lost billions of dollars by not being in that space. Mobile is where the growth is."

There is nothing wrong with cell phone CPUs nor did I say there was. You are using a strawman. Having said that cell pone CPUs get better and better quicker than computer CPUs because people get incentives to buy new phones when their contract ends. In another five years the cell phone CPU and computer CPUs may use the same chip. As of now the iPad does not have the best performing CPU. It works OK for a mobile OS. Having said that talking about cell phone CPUs does not help hide the fact that the Apple computers are still running a Windows 95 paradigm in the year 2017. That is what "see my point" was referring to.

Do you finally see my point this time?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 7, 2017 at 11:41:16 pm

[andy patterson] "Having said that talking about cell phone CPUs does not help hide the fact that the Apple computers are still running a Windows 95 paradigm in the year 2017. That is what "see my point" was referring to. Do you finally see my point this time?"

I don't see your point. What's wrong with the macOS UI paradigm?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Apr 8, 2017 at 11:55:02 am

[Walter Soyka] "[andy patterson] "Having said that talking about cell phone CPUs does not help hide the fact that the Apple computers are still running a Windows 95 paradigm in the year 2017. That is what "see my point" was referring to. Do you finally see my point this time?"

I don't see your point. What's wrong with the macOS UI paradigm?"

Windows 3.0 and the Mac OS 6 looked similar. One could say they had a similar paradigm. Windows 95 launched and introduced the Taskbar. Apple opted to leave the menubar and ad the Dock to keep up with the taskbar. Keep in mind several Linux OS vendors also copied the Windows 95 paradigm. The Windows 95 paradigm is still used by Apple today. It is a good paradigm for desktop computers with a keyboard and mouse. For small 10" tablets it does not work that well. Apple has decide to keep OS X a Windows 95 type OS and allow iOS to operate on mobile touch screen devices. I know Apple was probably hoping desktop computers would be a thing of the past by 2017 and everyone would be using an iPad for everything. No need to revamp OS X. Microsoft knew desktops and tablets would both be used in 2017. MS also knew 64 bit Intel Chips would be inside of the tablets. MS was not going to make two operating system. MS designed Windows 8 to operate in two different modes. Keep in mind Windows had touch screen support prior to Windows 8 but not the Metro GUI. The Windows 95 desktop paradigm will work OK with touch screen monitors that 24" or bigger. The Dock and Taskbar can be cool but on an 11" touch screen tablet not so much. The Windows 95 paradigm still works great and the Taskbar can do some cool things. The OS X Dock works fine for desktop computers but in the year 2017 Apple's OS X needs to be revamped. I would not want MS to have two different operating systems would you? I am also glad MS is always trying to improve the touch screens capabilities. I am not a fan of All In One systems but the Surface Studio with the Surface Dial got my attention.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 13, 2017 at 11:13:47 am

Here you go Apple, job done!

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/04/12/modular-mac-pro-concept/

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Apr 8, 2017 at 5:03:06 am

[andy patterson] "You are using a strawman"

I am? This is what you said...

[andy patterson] "If OS X had touch screen support and worked on the iPad with a core i7 CPU and the Surface Pro used a cellphone CPU and a mobile OS instead of Windows 10 64 bit I would complain about it."

I basically said that "cellphone" CPUs are what are are in vogue now, and their development is bringing them very close to Intel's desktop offerings. You are the one who said you would "complain" about them if offered in a Surface. You must have liked Surface RT.

Also, the ARM processor started out as a desktop CPU. ARM powered the Acorn Archimedes.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Apr 8, 2017 at 11:28:20 am

[Scott Thomas] "I basically said that "cellphone" CPUs are what are are in vogue now, and their development is bringing them very close to Intel's desktop offerings. You are the one who said you would "complain" about them if offered in a Surface. You must have liked Surface RT.

Also, the ARM processor started out as a desktop CPU. ARM powered the Acorn Archimedes."

I am aware of the Surface RT but MS also offered the Surface Pro with an i7. I would be upset if in the year 2017 the Surface Pro was not available with an i7 and incapable of running Windows 10 (64 bit version). Apple does not offer OS X on the iPad or the iPad pro nor does Apple offer the i7 CPU. That is not to say the iPad's CPU doesn't work but the 6 core Coffee Lake CPUs will be here soon.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 7, 2017 at 6:21:11 pm

[Walter Soyka] "In reality, Microsoft has a world-class research division, but they have done a dreadful job of commercializing their research. Microsoft has recently reorganized Microsoft Research to help bring their concepts to market more smoothly."

Although Microsoft had been working on a lot of these projects years ahead of Apple, as far as Joe-Apple is concerned, it's Apple who is bringing new things to market before Microsoft. It's Apple that is now an innovator in hardware. And as they say, perception is 99% reality.

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Apr 8, 2017 at 4:50:23 am

[Chris Harlan] "Although Microsoft had been working on a lot of these projects years ahead of Apple, as far as Joe-Apple is concerned, it's Apple who is bringing new things to market before Microsoft."

Back in the Balmer era there was the Microsoft Courier project. Looked pretty cool.
https://www.cnet.com/news/the-inside-story-of-how-microsoft-killed-its-cour...

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 9, 2017 at 1:07:23 pm

Here's the TechCrunch transcript from that recent meetings:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/06/transcript-phil-schiller-craig-federighi-...

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Maybe not until early 2019
on Apr 7, 2017 at 12:25:34 am

https://9to5mac.com/2017/04/06/modular-mac-pro-rumor/

"OSNews managing editor Thom Holwerda believes the project actually started “only a few weeks ago” and won’t be complete as soon as we may expect."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]