No 1. April Joke:

http://daringfireball.net/2017/04/the_mac_pro_lives

Happy anticipation to all :)

. . .

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
Re: New Mac Pro!
on Apr 4, 2017 at 12:46:40 pm

Interesting, and not unexpected - thanks for the link.

As they say - the nMP worked for some, not for others. I'd quietly predicted that the next release would be a pro iMac, with the same internals then boosted and pushed into a re-worked Mac Pro later in the year. If the iMac can have increased RAM and GPU, it would be a formidable machine.

I can't say I'm surprised that they are taking time to get it right - until someone flatly says that the new Mac Pro is totally incapable of working with high resolution footage and isn't good enough to do its job, its worth waiting to release something truly special.

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 4, 2017 at 12:54:05 pm

[Tom Sefton] " its worth waiting to release something truly special."

Since when was a maintenance upgrade an object of scorn? I think Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C & newer GPUs that don't burn up under stress would be pretty special. I can get it from Dell and HP, so it can't be that hard to do.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 4, 2017 at 1:37:56 pm

It's seems Apple noted a rethink on dual GPUs vs a single more powerful GPU and how third party software does not take advantage of that. The result requires a rethink on the thermal needs. So this was probably a big deficiency.

It does note that there will be further changes in the iMac geared towards Pros. My own hunch would be mostly on the GPU front as well.

One of the advantages the iMac has, I feel, is that i7 processors have Intel QuickSync which speeds H.264 encoding which is a major part of the current delivery for many (most?). I understand that the next generation Xeons may finally offer some equivalent support so I suspect that gap will diminish in next year's Mac Pro.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 4, 2017 at 3:24:02 pm

[Craig Seeman] "One of the advantages the iMac has, I feel, is that i7 processors have Intel QuickSync which speeds H.264 encoding which is a major part of the current delivery for many (most?). I understand that the next generation Xeons may finally offer some equivalent support so I suspect that gap will diminish in next year's Mac Pro."

It's also a major part of the decompression process making them better at playing back h264 sources without having to optimize.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 4, 2017 at 2:19:48 pm

Apple admitting it made a mistake? That's rare. I assume the speed bump is an attempt to clear inventory since they Osborne'd the current MP (Osborne Effect).

Curious to see what the new-new MP is going to be.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 4, 2017 at 3:29:09 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Apple admitting it made a mistake? That's rare"

Not as rare as having some of the people on this forum admit that Apple made a mistake. For that we will have to wait for ... nope, couldn't come up with anything that qualifies.

The nMpro was but another example of Apple choosing design over substance. If it looks cool it must be cool works for consumer devices, not so much for work stations.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Gregor Queck
on Apr 4, 2017 at 3:50:47 pm
Last Edited By Gregor Queck on Apr 4, 2017 at 3:53:01 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Not as rare as having some of the people on this forum admit that Apple made a mistake. For that we will have to wait for ... nope, couldn't come up with anything that qualifies."

LOL ☺

While funny: they had a clear vision in mind with this 2-gfx-card concept. They even built a framework for apps to use multiple cards. That the software wasn't moving in this direction they couldn't know. Also you should appreciate the wish for silent operation in a pro machine.... (you can read about it in the Gruber link)

They made a bet, they failed, now they had to start over...... it happens.....

. . .

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 4, 2017 at 4:17:00 pm

[Gregor Queck] "While funny: they had a clear vision in mind with this 2-gfx-card concept. They even built a framework for apps to use multiple cards. That the software wasn't moving in this direction they couldn't know. Also you should appreciate the wish for silent operation in a pro machine.... (you can read about it in the Gruber link)"

It goes beyond that though. Schiller says that they mistakenly made a machine than was un-upgradable due to thermal constraints. That's not a market miscalculation, that's a show stopping design flaw that should've been fixed before the product ever saw the light of day. Both Schiller and Federighi said upgradeability was a design goal of the next Mac Pro which hopefully means it'll have room for off the shelf GPUs like the cMP. Or, it'll have more than enough ThB 4(?) bandwidth to fully accommodate power eGPUs.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 4, 2017 at 5:18:10 pm

Wow, Apple reveals future plans, very impressed and encouraged by this

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 4, 2017 at 3:52:18 pm

Well it's about time Apple lower the price on 6 and 8 core Xeon Macs by $1000 given the age of the technology.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]