FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why abandon FCP7 now?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander Kallas
Why abandon FCP7 now?
on Jul 7, 2011 at 12:16:58 pm

Why abandon FCP7 now? All the boards are full of alternative NLE considerations?
Does FCP7 not fill your current requirements? And if FCPX had not appeared now would we have abandoned FCP7?
Stay with FCP7, and see what happens. Why would you buy a new Mac Pro desktop if you are not going to stay with Apple?

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: Why abandon FCP7 now?
on Jul 7, 2011 at 12:28:34 pm

Because there's the possibility that FCP7 will not be usable under Lion ("running" and actually being usable can be two entirely different ideas), and Apple may drop their MacPro line.

That's why.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 7, 2011 at 12:45:33 pm

[Gary Huff] "Because there's the possibility that FCP7 will not be usable under Lion ("running" and actually being usable can be two entirely different ideas), and Apple may drop their MacPro line."

So, in other words, your answer is "unfounded paranoia about Apple's future actions".

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Jul 7, 2011 at 1:12:31 pm

Chris, you have said many smart things about using FCPX on this forum. But whenever you say things like "unfounded paranoia" it undercuts your credibility entirely.

All of us who fret have experienced exactly these issues: a stable app that suddenly goes south for an indeterminate amount of time, upon upgrade to a new OS. Or even the ProKit updates themselves creating issues.

If you want to look one issue up that affected many of us, it was ProKit 6.0.1 which apparently contained various fixes for Logic, but in the process wrecked Compressor for a bunch of us. After much fussing and wasting mornings reinstalling, we had to trash the update and restore an older ProKit Frameworks folder...and then wait for the better part of a year until a newer ProKit update was released.

So we are justifiably worried that Lion will require fixes and updates to various apps. The concern is: if FCP7 completely "gone" or will it be updated if necessary via the continuing ProKit packages that Software Update send to your machine when it recognizes Pro App installations?

That is hardly paranoia, and it is more than justified. It is called practical experience.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 7, 2011 at 1:15:17 pm

[Douglas K. Dempsey] "So we are justifiably worried that Lion will require fixes and updates to various apps. The concern is: if FCP7 completely "gone" or will it be updated if necessary via the continuing ProKit packages that Software Update send to your machine when it recognizes Pro App installations?

That is hardly paranoia, and it is more than justified. It is called practical experience."

Apple has explicitly said FCP 7 will work under Lion. To respond to that with something like "Sure, but maybe it'll run really badly, plus they might cancel the Mac Pro" is, indeed, unfounded paranoia.

--

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 7, 2011 at 7:36:42 pm

[Chris Kenny]So, in other words, your answer is "unfounded paranoia about Apple's future actions".

It's not unfounded paranoia. One has to make guesses on what Apple might possibly see its future as considering how the company shrouds itself in silence and mystery.

I have been a Windows guy for all my life and just purchased my first MacBook Pro. I really like it, but if Apple decides their future is iOS only, then I have to decide whether I can work with an editor that relies on a touch interface and make an informed decision, instead of being stuck with expensive hardware that is no longer supported by the company.

That's not paranoia...that's good business.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 7, 2011 at 8:33:54 pm

[Gary Huff] "I have been a Windows guy for all my life and just purchased my first MacBook Pro. I really like it, but if Apple decides their future is iOS only, then I have to decide whether I can work with an editor that relies on a touch interface and make an informed decision, instead of being stuck with expensive hardware that is no longer supported by the company."

As of today, as far as we know, Microsoft, with Windows 8, has more ambitious touch plans on the desktop than Apple. Now, this may very well be solely because they tend to talk about things three years in advance, whereas with Apple you get maybe six months warning. But, again, as of right now, there is absolutely no public indication that Apple is going to move to touch-only systems.

In fact... that would be incompatible with the hover-based scrubbing that's a major new feature of FCP X. (Well, unless they move to touch systems that can detect hovering, but that would still be kind of awkward, I think.)

--

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 7, 2011 at 9:41:15 pm

[Chris Kenny]As of today, as far as we know, Microsoft, with Windows 8, has more ambitious touch plans on the desktop than Apple.

Microsoft in no way has the same track record of breaking compatibility like Apple does. Of course, there's always a first time, but Microsoft usually bends over backwards with Windows to make sure it can run older software.

Return to posts index

Cliff Stephenson
on Jul 7, 2011 at 9:07:02 pm

There's no such thing as unfounded paranoia when it comes to protecting your livelihood. I've been on the precipice of switching over to Premiere Pro since late last year (when I actually bought the software), but was sticking it out because Apple was promising something "amazing." Not only did they fail to deliver, but they failed in a way that seemed to be intentionally insulting to professional editors. So, yeah, had Final Cut Xpress not been released, I would have switched over nearly a year ago.

Return to posts index

Mark Laslo
on Jul 7, 2011 at 12:47:40 pm

I'm keeping FCP7 for my work machine, but I am in the market to buy a new personal editing machine. I was looking at a Mac Pro and the FCP studio package but after this "update" to FCP I have decided to save myself some serious cash and go with a custom built PC and Premiere Pro and save probably $1000 atleast. As a starting independent editor that is a significant price difference for increased functionality.

Also I think the reason most people are looking to switch, and I could be off base, is because people do not want to be working in an application that has no future. FCP 7 is a great application for today, but it still has some glaring bugs (scrubbing in L&T window) that we now know will never be fixed. Also as new formats get released unless there is 3rd party plugins created these formats will not work in FCP 7.

These may not be the reasons that the majority of people are switching over, but these are my reasons for sure.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Jul 7, 2011 at 1:18:41 pm

Apple has officially stated that FCP 7 will run in Lion. Paranoia is a bitch

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 7, 2011 at 7:34:03 pm

[Paul Jay] "Apple has officially stated that FCP 7 will run in Lion."

Yeah, and Jobs said FCP X would be awesome. As it turns out, it was awesome as long as you don't need a broadcast monitor. Or a tape deck. Or color correction. Or access to a project from last year. An official statement from Apple doesn't exactly engender blind trust in it in my book.

There have ALWAYS been problems with those kitty-cat-named operating systems that required a hasty update. To assume that the problems of FCP 7 users -- a product no longer supported by Apple, I hasten to add -- will rank high on Apple's OS fix-it list is to live in a dream world.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brian Langeman
on Jul 7, 2011 at 12:44:34 pm

[Alexander Kallas] "Does FCP7 not fill your current requirements? And if FCPX had not appeared now would we have abandoned FCP7?"

No, it doesn't. Adobe CS 5.5 is 64 bit and more advanced than FCP7. If a new FCP wasn't released this year, then people probably would have switched too.

Return to posts index

Martti Ekstrand
on Jul 7, 2011 at 12:59:52 pm

FCP7 hasn't filled my requirements of handling AVCHD files natively since it was released so I never bothered to upgrade but instead stayed with FCP6 waiting for FCP8 to add this feature. In hindsight I should have switched to PPro last year. Now I'm pondering if it's any point to stay on Mac hardware at all since due to Apple not wanting to work with Nvidia and CUDA makes a Win7 station a better and less expensive alternative for working with the entire Adobe suite of video apps.

check out my shorts: http://vimeo.com/marttiekstrand

Return to posts index

Stephen Galinsky
on Jul 7, 2011 at 1:18:49 pm

What do you mean "Apple doesn't work to work with Nvidia"?

Apple already has to do far, far more work for Nvidia than they should. I'm no apologist, but c'mon.

--
Ed it.

Return to posts index

Douglas Morse
on Jul 7, 2011 at 1:32:31 pm

Ditto to what Marti said. I wish I had switched for my last project. But my new feature has DSLR footage and I was expecting FCP X to handle it AND still do the things FCP 7 did: like export OMF without a $500 plug in.

The other reason to jump ship is that the FCS 3 is anemic. I need great DVD and Blu-ray options and neither FCS 3 nor FCP X offer decent physical media output.

Final Cut Pro 6 (I never upgraded either) and 7 do not serve my needs. I WAITED for Apple to deliver and they failed, twice now. Many of us were waiting, so we are jumping ship at the earliest possible time to make up for time wasted waiting for a 64 bit, integrated program with all of the features we expected.

You may not agree, and that's fine. But you asked for reasons and there they are.

http://www.jewofmalta.com 40 second preview. Have fun....

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jul 7, 2011 at 1:20:00 pm

Some editors have expressed that their workflows have suffered due to FCP 7's limitations, especially when working with newer file-based acquisition formats like XDCAM EX and h.264. Other NLEs have gained the ability to work with those formats natively without first requiring transcoding. The time savings of bypassing the transcoding process is crucial enough for some editors' workflows that they need to investigate other NLE software in order to remain competitive. Some editors have been waiting for the release of FCP X in the hopes that it would also support native workflows. However, they may not have expected to lose current functionality when the new version of FCP was released. To those editors, the current lack of feature parity between FCP 7 and FCP X, combined with the new unfamiliar interface paradigm (project/event structure, magnetic timeline, new UI, etc.) has made FCP X a less attractive choice than switching to another NLE. Editors who have been waiting for a better tool are now faced with the choice to wait another year for FCP X to regain lost functionality (either through Apple software updates or third party extensions) or to move to another NLE that has a more traditional interface and feature parity with FCP 7 in addition to native workflow. FCP X may indeed reach a point where it will meet these editors' needs, but many of them feel that they cannot afford to wait any longer and will see more immediate gains/improvements by switching to another NLE.

As for the Mac Pro desktop, it's a good machine at a good price. At present, the Mac Pro is still the system of choice for Autodesk Smoke and DaVinci Resolve. It also can run Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro. In short, the Mac Pro's existence is not tied to the adoption of FCP X.

Similarly configured Xeon workstation-class machines form PC vendors are actually more expensive that the Mac Pro. However, Apple does not make a tower system with Core i7 CPUs. There is a hole in Apple's product line between the iMac and the Mac Pro that is addressed by other PC vendors. For those who don't need a Xeon-based workstation and aren't limited to running their software on OS X, PC alternatives can be more cost effective.

Return to posts index

Tracy Smith
on Jul 7, 2011 at 1:42:48 pm

My frustration level with Apple is beginning to get a little more than I can take. From updates that temporarily cripple the abilities of the suite, to the inability to address customer needs, over what they think are our wants. From Blu-Ray, to FCPX there's been a string of how Apple wants it to be, versus how it is.
For the last 16 years, since the days of Radius Telecast I have been an Apple supporter and user. We have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on their tech. And recommended it to others. And now they temporarily abandon support of an entire client base? Trying to force everyone's hand?
I like Apple's computer tech, I can't lie about that. But I am tired of being an Apple cheerleader. My emotions are running pretty high on this subject. I feel betrayed, because of my investment in time and money. And pissed because I have recommended the tech to so many people.
Bottom line, buy the best tool for the job. Purchase the computer that will work for you. And don't get too attached. It is your stories, and commercial messages that count. Not your NLE. Learn to edit on anything in front of you. Tell your story the best you can. Forget about the rest of the marketing hype. With our Artist's proficiency with After Effects, we will most likely upgrade the Adobe Software. It seems to be the best path. Of course the bottom line, I will adapt to anything that is needed to tell the story.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jul 7, 2011 at 5:26:25 pm

"Similarly configured Xeon workstation-class machines form PC vendors are actually more expensive that the Mac Pro"

Some are more expensive (like HP and BOXX).... smaller integrators like Bold Data Systems (http://www.boldata.com/workstations) will build comparable machines at a lower price than Apple, and they give you a wider variety of choices for video cards and CPU.

Thanks,

Shawn

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 7, 2011 at 1:36:53 pm

Well, after 10 years, Apple discontinued the product that in many ways defined my "job." Many of us have been waiting for a significant update since 2007. FCS 3 in 09 strung us along a little longer. FCP 7 will be around for a year or two, but new installations are over. Places will adopt whatever fits the new workflows. If you don't learn or adopt something new and current, you're going to be a dinosaur. It takes a long time to be a proficient editor on a system so those with any concern for their livelihood are getting started and moving on.

Seems like a ridiculous question you're asking.

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
I guess this is paranoia
on Jul 7, 2011 at 2:35:04 pm

Apple took nearly 2.5 years to upgrade Final Cut Studio from version 2 to 3 (and v.3 was only a moderate upgrade at that). Until then, updates had come at a much more aggressive pace.

Apple cancelled the popular Shake, promising to replace it with a new tool that never came.

Apple got lazy with its Logic Pro app as well, letting development creep along with an upgrade about every two years.

Apple stopped updating the Pro page on its web site long ago. There hasn't been a new item posted in almost two years: http://www.apple.com/pro/

Apple took more than a year to fix a glaring Final Cut 7 bug that made its Close Gap command unreliable. To break a core Timeline feature like Close Gap and not fix it for 14 months was offensive and inexcusable.

Apple cancelled its Xserve RAID then its Xserve hardware.

Apple started taking longer and longer to release Mac Pro workstations, and absolutely phoned in the latest upgrade last July. 511 days in the making, the newest Mac Pro was one of the most un-inspired hardware upgrades I've ever seen from Apple.

Apple pulled out of industry trade events like NAB.

Multiple rumors (and confirmation of rumors) of significant layoffs in the Pro Apps division.

Multiple rumors that Apple was trying to sell off its Pro Apps division.

richard

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: I guess this is paranoia
on Jul 7, 2011 at 4:00:02 pm

Plagiarism...

Link if you're not going to think...

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Jul 7, 2011 at 7:01:21 pm

If you have nothing intelligent to say don't say anything.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 7, 2011 at 10:27:20 pm

[Richard Cardonna] "If you have nothing intelligent to say don't say anything."

Says the guy who copied and pasted someone else's words without any attribution or embellishment.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Jul 7, 2011 at 11:07:12 pm

I guess you can only answer by side stepping,

I posted data, If you can’t differentiate between data and comments that’s your problem.

I guess that’s why you have been ranting the same thing all over time and time again.

You should have asked where the link is and i would have said sorry i thought i had pasted it.

richard

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 7, 2011 at 11:50:24 pm

I'm not going to engage in a discussion with anyone who can't produce their own thoughts. If I wanted to comment on the list you posted I'd do it on the original author's post.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 7, 2011 at 4:18:10 pm

[Richard Cardonna] "Apple took nearly 2.5 years to upgrade Final Cut Studio from version 2 to 3 (and v.3 was only a moderate upgrade at that). Until then, updates had come at a much more aggressive pace."

Apple was probably already retooling to work on the rewrite (i.e. FCP X).

[Richard Cardonna] "Apple cancelled the popular Shake, promising to replace it with a new tool that never came."

Apple is unreliable with externally purchased products. In general, Apple is obsessed with having as few products on the market as possible. You can't read lack of interest into a market into a product in that market being canceled.

[Richard Cardonna] "Apple got lazy with its Logic Pro app as well, letting development creep along with an upgrade about every two years."

A release every two years is not especially egregious. Adobe is on a formal schedule of a major release every two years with a minor release in between, for instance. Over the last three years Apple did a major rewrite of Logic Pro, modernizing the interface and turning it into a 64-bit Cocoa app. This doesn't look like neglect.

[Richard Cardonna] "Apple stopped updating the Pro page on its web site long ago. There hasn't been a new item posted in almost two years: http://www.apple.com/pro/
"

Trivial.

[Richard Cardonna] "Apple took more than a year to fix a glaring Final Cut 7 bug that made its Close Gap command unreliable. To break a core Timeline feature like Close Gap and not fix it for 14 months was offensive and inexcusable."

There's a longstanding bug related to file renaming in HFS+. And by "longstanding" I mean it's been there since OS X 10.0 shipped. Does this mean Apple doesn't care about Mac OS X? (Or iOS, which also uses the same file system and almost certainly has the same bug?)

[Richard Cardonna] "Apple cancelled its Xserve RAID then its Xserve hardware."

Xserve RAID provided little value over third-party offerings. And let's see how these rumors of a rack-mountable Mac Pro pan out. For out industry, that would be a more useful product than Xserve, which didn't have enough slots.

[Richard Cardonna] "Apple started taking longer and longer to release Mac Pro workstations, and absolutely phoned in the latest upgrade last July. 511 days in the making, the newest Mac Pro was one of the most un-inspired hardware upgrades I've ever seen from Apple."

Mac Pro tech specs are almost entirely determined by what Intel has on offer.

[Richard Cardonna] "Apple pulled out of industry trade events like NAB."

Apple pulled out of MacWorld Expo as well. They prefer to run their own events, and they're big enough now that they get as much attention as they want whenever they want it.

[Richard Cardonna] "Multiple rumors (and confirmation of rumors) of significant layoffs in the Pro Apps division."

Very possibly related to lifecycle issues with the FCP X transition. The were probably parallel FCP 7 and FCP X teams for a while, and the layoffs could have been a consequence of reducing the former to a minimal staff to handle maintenance releases at some point.

[Richard Cardonna] "Multiple rumors that Apple was trying to sell off its Pro Apps division."

Not reliable.

Virtually every point you're making has an alternative explanation, in many cases a better one. And in any event, you're just cherry-picking. I can just as easily make a list of items that show Apple does care about pros:

- Two years ago, the "Apple doesn't care about pros" crowd was citing the fact that Apple hadn't rewritten FCP as evidence that Apple didn't care about pros. But somehow, the fact that they were, we now know, busy rewriting FCP, doesn't get counted as evidence to the contrary.

- Thunderbolt. Yes, Apple presumably hopes it will also be picked up by the consumer market, but USB3 would have been fine for that. Thunderbolt is for us. Almost all of the announced peripherals are squarely targeted at pro content creation.

- Apple continues to sell some pretty damn high-end hardware. The most recent round of MacBook Pros are hilarious overkill for the consumer market.

- FCP X was introduced at an event for pros. It has many features clearly intended for pros. Apple claims it was designed for pro. Apple just held a briefing in London last night to discuss how the concerns of pros are being dealt with. Apple has said it intends to address many of these concerns on a fairly aggressive timetable (first major concerns addressed in weeks, not months).

- Apple created OpenCL.

- Apple is integrating Xsan into Lion.

--

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Jul 7, 2011 at 4:48:56 pm

@ Chris Kenny

Dude, seriously, if Jobs said invade Poland you'd be at the front. Did you notice the hypocrisy in your post? You criticise about someone doing something but do exactly the same yourself.

Personally, I get it. Hardcore fanboi. Fanatical about Apple. Cool. Enjoy. But I see that little logo of yours now and i'm seriously just going to skip by (and i've only been reading this forum for a week).

It's like listening to neo-con oil baron's opinion on global warming.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 7, 2011 at 4:54:51 pm

[Julian Bowman] "Dude, seriously, if Jobs said invade Poland you'd be at the front. Did you notice the hypocrisy in your post? You criticise about someone doing something but do exactly the same yourself.

Personally, I get it. Hardcore fanboi. Fanatical about Apple. Cool. Enjoy. But I see that little logo of yours now and i'm seriously just going to skip by (and i've only been reading this forum for a week).

It's like listening to neo-con oil baron's opinion on global warming."

Pure ad hominem. If you disagree with my points, make an argument.

--

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Jul 7, 2011 at 5:00:28 pm

No.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 7, 2011 at 5:05:50 pm

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 7, 2011 at 5:05:53 pm

If one view is paranoia, the other is denial.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jul 7, 2011 at 9:09:33 pm

Well, I was thinking about SHAKE, which has come up a couple of times in the "conversation".

Yes, it still does run under Leopard and Snow Leopard. It did break once, when Apple flipped the 'endian-ness' for 10-bit processing and at that point, we couldn't do anything in the program with Pro
Res. A 4.1 fix did get issued, so EOL is not necessarily total... however, I do still have to go through the entire process if a reinstall is required. (reallly? who needs to re-install Apple software?)

Why use that old dinosaur app (SHAKE?).... because its sophisticated.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Jul 7, 2011 at 9:13:28 pm

I do not understand these guys. If they have no need for what is missing in fcpx good for them. But why can they understand that many do need those missing tools.

Why do they accuse some as paranoid when these see a clear and documented trend and not themselves as delusional when they base their facts on loyality and hearsay?

Have they nothing better to do than wave flags at apple?

Richard

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Jul 7, 2011 at 10:10:31 pm

Best Hypothesis I heard: (from a Lion seed tester)
FCP7 will work with Lion but most probably not the current "rosetta required" installer. (no rosetta in Lion)
- i.e. you might NOT be able to run on a new mac (like the rumored upcoming 16 core) unless Apple releases a new installer.

I know it's just a god damn installer...

Did Apple said there would be a new installer for FCP? No.
Will it hurt the upcoming workstation release if they don't. Yes.
Will they do it? Dunno at this point, they seem to have lost it.
Will you see on some blog that "someone at Apple said" that FCP7 works under Lion. Yes.
Will ChrisK say every 3 mails on this list to hold on and wait before we speculate otherwise? :) - sorry I could not resist...

Pierre

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 7, 2011 at 10:27:22 pm

[Pierre Jasmin] "Will you see on some blog that "someone at Apple said" that FCP7 works under Lion. Yes.
Will ChrisK say every 3 mails on this list to hold on and wait before we speculate otherwise?"

Of course - both can be counted upon.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Jul 8, 2011 at 2:30:10 am

I cannot believe that you replied to proven data with mere supposition. And actually believe that you answered. You can base your businessa on rumors I base it on facts.

Richard

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 8, 2011 at 4:04:34 am

[Richard Cardonna] "I cannot believe that you replied to proven data with mere supposition. And actually believe that you answered. You can base your businessa on rumors I base it on facts."

Huh? You offered some facts that you implied pointed to a specific conclusion. I pointed out alternative explanations of those facts, and then pointed to some additional facts that didn't fit your conclusion at all.

The simple truth is that the "Apple is abandoning pros" narrative -- no matter how many people seem to accept it without question -- has next to no unambiguous evidence in its favor.

--

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
Re: Why abandon FCP7 now? or why not?
on Jul 8, 2011 at 1:29:23 am

Summary:

Apple has announced that if you are a FCP user, your next piece of software will be something new you have to learn and build your edit room around.

Top contenders seem to be Avid, Adobe, and maybe Apple; there are others.

Stir and serve.

(Note, the above doesn't apply if FCP will meet all your needs forever.)

Franz.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 8, 2011 at 4:35:14 am

Yup. And for an FCP user, Premiere is simple to learn and has the most features. But many of us oldies came from Avid. (The muscle memory is slowly coming back. Now if I could just find that old settings floppy disk I used to carry around...)

Put them both on your machine (free 30 day trial) and go at it. But shame on you if you didn't already have Premiere via a Production Premium bundle. You kinda have to have Ilustrator, Phothoshop, and AE installed to work in this industry.

I'm finding that Premiere would be great. If it worked like it says. For a 64 bit app it's really underpowered on my machine. But my machine will run many ProRes 422 layers atop one another in full rez without rendering. Good luck even playing one prores file in full rez on Premiere Pro. It will drop frames on my old Mac Pro at least. And, it seems to just stop once in awhile. Unresponsive. Then, a little drive chug and it works. But the whole think feels clunky and like it's always about to crash.

Avid is smooth. Does what it does without hesitation or hiccup. A little more mysterious. Feels more professional but it still takes a lot of steps to do things.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jul 8, 2011 at 10:25:44 am

The biggest thing about Premiere Pro for Mac or PC is making sure there's enough memory to really drive it. I've seen 8 core systems have 4GB of memory and that's just wrong. ;-)

Other than that, the standard stuff applies to all pro apps.
- clean install
- all the current drivers
- system drive + second drive(s) for media

Ping me if you want to discuss.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 8, 2011 at 4:13:25 pm

And you really need a supported NVIDIA card for the best performance.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jul 8, 2011 at 4:24:15 pm

[Gary Huff] "And you really need a supported NVIDIA card for the best performance."

Well, I would substitute 'should' for the word 'need'. In this case, I believe there is a big difference. You don't NEED it, but it is nice to have. I detail this here: Premiere Pro on a Mac

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]