Why Final Cut Pro X?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin S. Kurz
Why Final Cut Pro X?
on Mar 27, 2017 at 9:02:25 am

… he asks.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/final-cut-pro-x-todo-lo-demas/

Very insightful and echoes so much of "the usual thing". No surprise.

- RK

Return to posts index

Gregor Queck
Re: Why Final Cut Pro X?
on Mar 27, 2017 at 12:54:40 pm

Quotes I find interesting, because they are true for me:

"The creative process is inherently messy, which is often in direct conflict with the housekeeping a technical collaboration like filmmaking requires. Apple has acknowledged the dual need for freeform experimentation and order in a way I haven’t seen elsewhere…

“Final Cut Pro X freed up time for creative work because the software is so effective at searching and skimming media.” – Dave Cerf, Editor

When I have an editorial idea (“let’s rearrange the order of these shots”), I have to translate that into a sequence of editorial actions and then perform those as quickly as possible before I (or the director) loses patience. Musically speaking, it’s like hearing a melody in your head and wanting to know how it sounds out loud. With Final Cut Pro X, you can learn to express that melody almost as quickly as you’re conceiving it. Maybe you won’t be that facile your first week, but eventually… "

Great article, I think...

. . .

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Mar 27, 2017 at 1:48:45 pm

Yeah, that last one is especially good and really nails it. ☺

- RK

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Mar 27, 2017 at 3:06:56 pm

"Meanwhile, the ability to dynamically search via keywords (such as location or character) reconfigures the media landscape beneath the skimming line, refreshing and re-contextualizing your source material at will."

Premiere has the ability to add names of character, locations, scenes etc. It could do that back in the CS 4 days.

Can you explain exactly what FCPX offered that no other NLE can do in regards to the comment below?

"Natalia was able to work almost entirely visually and not worry about details like scene numbers. This would be untenable in other NLEs. I would say that her documentary process actually flourished in a way it had not been able to before, and yet we were not even making a documentary!"

"We initially organized our events by shooting day, but I don’t think we ever viewed the clips that way. Instead, we would organize by scene, character, time of day, location, or even combinations of all those."

Premiere CS 4 (PP CC) can search by character, scene, location and combinations of those. Not sure if PP can do time of day. I imagine Bridge can. You could create a time of day metadata field in Premiere Pro.

"There is also the ability to edit during playback. This is common in DAW software like Pro Tools, but unusual for a video NLE’s. You may not use this right away—you may even find it overwhelming at first—but once you have a certain “temporal fluency” it’s possible to watch/listen to one part of the timeline while adjusting another."

I can color correct a clip in the sequence while the timeline is playing. I can also adjust the audio levels, bass EQ, reverb or even swap out a clip while the timeline is playing. I can edit the audio effects of the entire track or just a single audio clip. Could you please tell me exactly what they did that other NLE cannot do? I admit I may be missing something.

"DC: I don’t think it would be fair to call what we did “integration,” but I did use Logic Pro X a fair amount, such as when creating the sound-only sketches I mentioned before. Whenever the sound design called for a more musical element, such as piano, it was really convenient to open up Logic, record, bounce, and import back into Final Cut Pro X."

People at the Cow say FCPX can do it all. No need for audio apps. Audition is a nice program to have if you use Premiere Pro.

"I think Logic has been one of the best acquisition stories in Apple’s software division. The latest version feels like a completely modern piece of software despite its origins going back all the way to the ’90s. I would love deeper native integration between Final Cut Pro and Logic, but at the same time I think the Final Cut Pro team has been doing such a good job with audio editing features that it doesn’t feel as imperative as it once did."

It seems things could be better but that would be true for any software.

"I still wish there was a way to display that metadata as an onscreen overlay in the Viewer, since the burn-ins don’t always tell the full story."

Premiere can overlay maker data, clip names, time-code and more. Not sure what exactly they want.

"Our credit roll was created in-house using Illustrator and After Effects, but the lead-up workflow was kind of interesting."

As I have stated there are some people on the forum that claim FCPX can do it all. Obviously everyone's needs are different.

"We used X2Pro to generate an AAF of each reel and then converted those to Pro Tools sessions which we handed off to our sound designer, Alejandro de Icaza, at Arte Sonico."

"The one thing I’d do differently is convert our polyphonic production audio files to monophonic before doing dailies. The polyphonic audio worked fine in Final Cut Pro X, but Pro Tools couldn’t relink the AAF to those files. Being able to relink directly to our production media in Pro Tools would have allowed us to generate edit-only AAF files (i.e. just the clip information without any media), allowing us to send changes to Arte Sonico over email instead of hefty uploads weighing hundreds of megabytes. This might have been a deal breaker for a project with more frequent handoffs, but then, we probably would have tested that more thoroughly."

Hind sight is 20/20.

"MM: I have! If you had to pick three things that made your job better because of Final Cut Pro X, what would they be?
DC: First, searching in the browser and the timeline index. The film was shot in a somewhat modular fashion, so we were constantly pulling shots from one scene and using them elsewhere."

Premiere Pro does not have a timeline index but we can find content in the timeline. Someone did post a link to a timeline index plugin for Premiere Pro.

"We did notice that collapsed split edits, especially when they are quite long, can cause a lot of confusion (you hear a sound but can’t figure out which audio clip it’s coming from because it’s actually hidden in the collapsed split). I imagine this could be solved in a few ways in the interface."

Perhaps room for improvement as with any software.

"DC: Playback never stops. I’m not sure how many people think about this, but Final Cut Pro X does a pretty amazing job playing back even while you are editing. This is something I have always enjoyed in Pro Tools—it feels like the system can really keep up with you as your mastery of the software improves. It is really hard for me now to work with an NLE that has to stop playback all the time. Just being able to keep playback going while I switch to another application still feels magical compared to working in Final Cut Pro 7."

FCP 7 was an old dog. Having said that I can switch between programs and Premiere Pro will keep playing.

"They probably found it too difficult to maintain AAF support and created xmeml (Final Cut Pro “classic” XML) instead. Obviously, it really took off, so much so that Premiere Pro—a competitor—relies on it as a primary interchange format (they’re even starting to customize it for their own purposes).

FCPX and Premiere Pro will both get better.

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Mar 27, 2017 at 4:27:57 pm

[andy patterson] ""We did notice that collapsed split edits, especially when they are quite long, can cause a lot of confusion (you hear a sound but can’t figure out which audio clip it’s coming from because it’s actually hidden in the collapsed split)."

I have seen folks confused by this in the past, but I wonder if the article is already a bit dated. It looked like they were working in the version of X before the 10.3 update and the addition of Lanes.

If you are doing a film like that now in .3 I would be surprised if that was still in issue.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Mar 27, 2017 at 5:56:24 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Mar 27, 2017 at 5:56:45 pm

[Tony West] "If you are doing a film like that now in .3 I would be surprised if that was still in issue."

There is none whatsoever, no.

- RK

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Mar 27, 2017 at 5:53:30 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Mar 27, 2017 at 5:54:32 pm

Illegible and unintelligible. As always.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 27, 2017 at 6:35:51 pm

Does Premiere not stop playback when you click in the timeline ruler? I recently had to open a premiere project and was clicking around and for all it's "nothing stops it" talk, it stops every time I click in the timeline (ruler). It's pretty annoying since my muscle memory isn't expecting it after 17 years of FCP not stopping when I do this.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Mar 27, 2017 at 11:21:31 pm

[Bret Williams] "Does Premiere not stop playback when you click in the timeline ruler? I recently had to open a premiere project and was clicking around and for all it's "nothing stops it" talk, it stops every time I click in the timeline (ruler). It's pretty annoying since my muscle memory isn't expecting it after 17 years of FCP not stopping when I do this."

Premiere Pro will stop if you click in ruler area of the timeline. You can click on any clip in the timeline and adjust CC, reverb or audio levels while while Premiere continues to play. You can add a video clip or title and Premiere will keep playing. Having said that one of the top three feature listed was the ability for FCPX to play while switching back and forth between other programs. I don't need to do it but Premiere can do that. I guess as opposed to making edits (reverb ,Color Correction, etc) or switching between programs while FCPX continues to play (other NLE can do this) they should have stated you can click anywhere in the timeline and FCPX still plays. I guess that is the one aspect that is different. It may indeed be useful but keep in mind it was stated that FCPX could continue to play while you make edits and switch between programs. Those two previous situations would not be exclusive to FCPX. I admit FCPX might do it a little better but it was stated other NLE could not do it. Perhaps a feature request would allow Premiere to work a little better for your needs. I doubt anyone has made that feature request thus far. It does not mean it cannot be done.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]