Color Finale Competitor?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Color Finale Competitor?
on Mar 14, 2017 at 12:18:22 am

Was just wandering on Facebook when this ad showed up:

http://store.pixelfilmstudios.com/product/fcpx-colorist/

It has a couple of features that look nice. Has anyone heard of them? Thought about adding it to my system but wantrd to hear some opinions first. With that said, I still enjoy using Color Finale.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: Color Finale Competitor?
on Mar 14, 2017 at 12:44:53 am

Thank you for the reply. Was not aware of the situation. Will not do business with them.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 14, 2017 at 11:53:09 am

If you want an actual valid alternative go with Hawaiki Color. You can add through FxFactory.

http://hawaiki.co/color.html

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Mar 14, 2017 at 1:35:28 pm

If you read to the bottom of the article, you'll see Pixel Film's apology and mea culpa. And this happened years ago. I'm not sure a permanent boycott is justifiable. I don't think anyone is claiming this color correction plug-in is pirated.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 14, 2017 at 4:14:14 pm

I read the apology and the comments that followed. I am not boycotting the company but feel very uneasy about doing business with them. As far as the "rogue employee" claim is concerned I am not sure that I can believe it. I did notice that two former employees of PMS weighed in. The question is whether they are telling the truth or they are making some type of vendetta post. For now I will continue to use Color Finale and consider what Oliver Peters has suggested. Thank you for time and my apologies for posting the original post before I realized the situation.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 14, 2017 at 5:13:35 pm

What troubles me is that EVERY product that comes across my radar from PFS seems to be a knockoff of an easily identifiable original.

It's as if we hear a catchy and original pop song and sure enough - some months later a PFS version arrives. It's got an incredibly similar melody, arrangement, tempo and packaging and the artist even looks the same - but it's excruciatingly NOT original - and doesn't really do more than capitalize on a market that somebody else's worked much harder to pioneer.

Knockoffs are a fact of life.

But supporting them does not get you a world full of better products.

Just a world filled with shabbier ones.

My 2 cents.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Mar 14, 2017 at 7:40:09 pm

Look, I don't have a dog in this fight. But I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. Certainly there are effects that are derivative of other things out there. Of course multiple developers are developing similar things simultaneously. How many light leak plug-ins are there out in the world?

By my scanning of PFS offerings there is a lot that is unique. And they seem to be ridiculously prolific. So I'm not sure who they'd be copying for all of that anyways.

Brett Sherman
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Mar 14, 2017 at 8:56:31 pm

As someone who bought 2 or 3 plugins from them: I've pretty much regretted all my purchases.

They always missed too much options, or there were too much compromises and I never got them to work as I wanted them to work.

By comparison, MotionVFX's plugins and templates always gave me better output, and a lot more options and flexibility.
I am also pleased with plugins from Hawaiki (we have Pipinator), they have great support, and a lot of other FxFactory work.

But, even if you don't mind the copyright issue, the quality of their products is often very bad, IMO...

https://mathieughekiere.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Mar 18, 2017 at 3:39:17 pm

I tend to agree with this. They seem to be more focused on the number of plug-ins they put out, rather than the quality and universality of any given plug-in. I do think MotionVFX is a cut above, though I often find limited utility with them also. These days I only get FXFactory plug-ins because of ease of installation and quality. Managing multiple computers with multiple plug-in vendors is a challenge. One nice thing about PixelFilm Studios is they don't require authorization which makes deployment so much simpler.

I've had problems with MotionVFX breaking themselves when I run synchronization routines to keep Motion Templates folders the same on all computers for custom developed templates. Not impossible to solve, but every time a vendor requires a special process for me I tend not to use them in the future.

Brett Sherman

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]