FORUMS: list search recent posts

Join me today in my heroic struggle against the subscription model!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Ubsdell
Join me today in my heroic struggle against the subscription model!
on Mar 13, 2017 at 8:46:12 pm

Enough is enough is ENOUGH!

My electricity supplier has heaped infamy upon tyranny by asking me to pay a monthly subscription for my power. And at last I have decided that this cannot stand. I cannot accept being LOCKED OUT OF MY WORK by this hateful business model.

In consequence I have installed a wind turbine on my roof so I NEVER AGAIN have to LOSE ACCESS to my projects as a result of their UNSPEAKABLE DEMANDS.

My wife told me this morning that she can't go on living like this, but I told her YOU CAN'T PUT A PRICE ON FREEDOM!

Talking of my wife, there she is now, loading a suitcase into the car. She's waving at me ... or is that some kind of one-fingered salute?

Organise, resist and fight back! No sacrifice is too great. Nothing is more important than RESISTING THE TYRANNY OF SUBSCRIPTION.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: Join me today in my heroic struggle against the subscription model!
on Mar 13, 2017 at 8:53:52 pm

I believe this should be in the Adobe forum. 😜

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 13, 2017 at 8:57:13 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Mar 13, 2017 at 8:59:10 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Organise, resist and fight back! No sacrifice is too great. Nothing is more important than RESISTING THE TYRANNY OF SUBSCRIPTION."

Cute.

Reminds me of my years as a radio reporter covering the Arizona Corporation Commissions rate increase hearings for public utilities to insure that the rates they were charging for ELECTRIC POWER was kept fair to consumers.

They somehow felt that without mechanism to insure that - monopolistic entities like utilities might well create a pricing structure that was - well, grossly unfair.

Obviously the need for anything like that is STUPID now, because the markets are all self-regulating (Congress tells me so!) and I'm convinced that all businesses will keep focused on what their customers needs, even if it means suppressing what their shareholders might prefer.

I can rest now. My work is done.

; )

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 13, 2017 at 9:05:17 pm

[Bill Davis] "They somehow felt that without mechanism to insure that - monopolistic entities like utilities might well create a pricing structure that was - well, grossly unfair."

Dear Bill,

When we finally meet for a beer, remind me to ease back on the lame jokes.

;-)

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 13, 2017 at 9:10:49 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Dear Bill,

When we finally meet for a beer, remind me to ease back on the lame jokes.

;-)"

We should probably just arm wrestle for the tab!

It's all good.

Hey, if you're coming to either NAB or IBC, I'll be at each this year.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Mar 13, 2017 at 9:01:54 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] " Nothing is more important than RESISTING THE TYRANNY OF SUBSCRIPTION.
"

I like the other model: where you pay once for your power and all the power and updates come free. Why would ANYONE do anything else?

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 13, 2017 at 9:08:01 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "I like the other model: where you pay once for your power and all the power and updates come free. Why would ANYONE do anything else?"

I tried suggesting that to them but the b*st*rds wouldn't listen.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Mar 13, 2017 at 9:08:44 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "I tried suggesting that to them but the b*st*rds wouldn't listen.
"

Death to tyranny!

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 13, 2017 at 9:12:38 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Death to tyranny!"

I think that becomes more hiply ironic if you translate into a language your oppressors don't speak...

Just sayin'

; )

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 13, 2017 at 9:54:25 pm

They tried Scott's model first, but no one was willing to pay up front for the towers and lines to connect their houses.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Mar 13, 2017 at 10:57:18 pm

[Bill Davis] "[Scott Witthaus] "Death to tyranny!"

I think that becomes more hiply ironic if you translate into a language your oppressors don't speak...

Just sayin'"

Hegh tyranny!! ☺

Shawn

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Mar 14, 2017 at 1:38:29 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "I like the other model: where you pay once for your power and all the power and updates come free. Why would ANYONE do anything else?"

That's EXACTLY what I'm getting when my solar panels are installed in a couple months. I'll recoup the investment in about 6 years. I recouped the investment in FCP X much faster.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Mar 14, 2017 at 2:47:17 pm

[Brett Sherman] "That's EXACTLY what I'm getting when my solar panels are installed in a couple months. I'll recoup the investment in about 6 years. I recouped the investment in FCP X much faster."

Hey Brett -

That's fantastic. Can I get with you off-list and ask some questions? Thinking about the same thing.

Scott

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Mar 14, 2017 at 7:40:53 pm

Sure.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Mar 15, 2017 at 2:06:30 pm

Brett -

Can you ping me on LinkedIn? Can't get my.creativecow.net to work.

Scott

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 14, 2017 at 9:25:14 pm

[Brett Sherman] "That's EXACTLY what I'm getting when my solar panels are installed in a couple months. "

Pah!

Unless you're editing from within your own nuclear bunker stocked with AK47s and a decade's supply of Spam, then you're just letting The Man walk all over you.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Mar 14, 2017 at 12:11:33 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "… so I NEVER AGAIN have to LOSE ACCESS to my projects as a result of their UNSPEAKABLE DEMANDS."

Must be bummer to be living in an area with just ONE electricity supplier and no options!

But yeah, I know what you mean. Which, ironically, is why I simply installed both a wind turbine AND solar panels right from the get go. Now I have endless power, permanent access to all my work and no monthly costs. To top it all off, someone comes by every few months and updates everything for $0!

I know, right? Makes ya feel pretty damn stupid for having ever gone with that electricity supplier company in the first place and makes you wonder why in the world anyone ever would, huh?

- RK

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 14, 2017 at 10:29:33 pm

I don't think electricity is a subscription though (at least not in the US), it's meter-based billing. Subscriptions we all probably use on a daily basis would be for cell phones, wired Internet, etc.,.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 14, 2017 at 10:43:15 pm

I think this is correct.

The electricity is typically generated by equipment and transmitted by systems that have largely been paid for via taxation and public funding.

Even the bonds that municipalities float for infrastructure spending are GUARANTEED by the government - so that the capital risk is hugely reduced.

Metering to recover usage costs for something like power is BARELY related to consumer products where the risk is born exclusively by a group of investors.

FWIW.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 15, 2017 at 1:26:24 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "I don't think electricity is a subscription"

It was a RECURRING DEMAND FOR PAYMENT that was threatening to LOCK ME OUT OF MY PROJECTS if I stopped coughing up, which is why I decided to take my entire life off-grid.

(Admittedly I can now only edit when there's a gale blowing, but it's worth it.)

It's not the detail that counts, it's the PRINCIPLE!

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Mar 15, 2017 at 2:29:22 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "(Admittedly I can now only edit when there's a gale blowing, but it's worth it.)"

Just invite every producer you know to attend the edit and ask for their input. Their hot air should generate enough electricity to keep your equipment running for years! 😄

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 15, 2017 at 3:26:59 pm

I think I just read somewhere the island of Kawaii in the Hawaiian chain is now 100 percent solar 24/7. Nights they used to switch to diesel generation but Elon Musk sold them on a bank of Tesla super-batteries which lets them store excess power by day and release it at night. They don't run out before the sun comes back on. Tesla also showed a line of roof tiles that look like normal roofing but are Solar PV with a variety of shapes and colors to work with any architectural style.

Return to posts index

Gabe Strong
on Mar 15, 2017 at 3:57:17 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "It was a RECURRING DEMAND FOR PAYMENT that was threatening to LOCK ME OUT OF MY PROJECTS if I stopped coughing up, which is why I decided to take my entire life off-grid.

(Admittedly I can now only edit when there's a gale blowing, but it's worth it.)
"

You know what's actually kind of amazing. I live in SE Alaska. Now most people think
of Alaska as this snow and ice covered wasteland. But the southeast portion of Alaska is along
the 'inside passage', full of islands and fjords, and is much more similar to Seattle (climatewise)
than what most people think of when they think of Alaska. Normal winters are 30-45 and rainy.
Living on the ocean, keeps it relatively mild here, but it's wet!! The Tongass National Forest, which
covers most of SE Alaska, is the largest national forest in the US at 17 million acres.....and it's
a temperate rainforest. This collision of relatively warm marine air, and coastal mountains
means up to 225 inches of rainfall a year. Needless to say, sunny days are rare and much appreciated.
Yet, somehow, in the middle of this rainforest, my parents manage to live 'off the grid' and what
do you imagine they use for their power? Northern climate solar panels. Crazy.

Gabe Strong
G-Force Productions
http://www.gforcevideo.com

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 15, 2017 at 9:00:08 pm

[Gabe Strong] "You know what's actually kind of amazing."

I love that my pathetic Dad joke has spawned so many interesting posts about renewables.

While (all joking aside) I'm not sure I'm fully in tune with the "survivalist" anti-subscription brigade, I am very much in favour of renewables.

This industry has always been hideously wasteful of resources.

Throwing away your Mac device every three years (or far more frequently), as Apple want you to do, is a particularly egregious example.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Gabe Strong
on Mar 16, 2017 at 12:58:49 am

[Simon Ubsdell] "I love that my pathetic Dad joke has spawned so many interesting posts about renewables.

While (all joking aside) I'm not sure I'm fully in tune with the "survivalist" anti-subscription brigade, I am very much in favour of renewables.

This industry has always been hideously wasteful of resources.

Throwing away your Mac device every three years (or far more frequently), as Apple want you to do, is a particularly egregious example."

I think it just goes to show......that much as cameras, computers, and NLE's have advanced
with leaps and bounds over the last few years......so has technology in other areas.
Can you imagine running a refrigerator and a freezer off solar panels that are
somehow pulling energy from a sky devoid of sunlight? Amazing times I tell you.

Oh yeah....my Mac is from 2009 ☺ . Suck it Apple.

Gabe Strong
G-Force Productions
http://www.gforcevideo.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 15, 2017 at 5:02:22 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "It was a RECURRING DEMAND FOR PAYMENT that was threatening to LOCK ME OUT OF MY PROJECTS if I stopped coughing up, which is why I decided to take my entire life off-grid.

It's not the detail that counts, it's the PRINCIPLE!"

Principal? Or pragmatic simple solution?

If a big power company has the choice to build out their infrastructure with low profile buildings that lets you keep your solar power as an option - and another has a strategy of erecting light barriers everywhere possible that block entire neighborhoods from access to the solar power they desire — support the ones that don't have as much potential to make things MORE difficult for you in the future.

Pretty simple concepts, actually.

Kinda like this...

6 years of app only "rental payments" for one popular NLE @$19.95/mo = $1436.40* - that the company can "turn off" on you for non-payment. (*ever increasing number)
vs
one that you own in perpetuity by paying = $299.00" ONCE. Done.

Basically, even if they NEVER DEMAND ANYTHING from you - it's just a straight up BAD DEAL when you get nothing but the opportunity to stay where you are and not have to change too much from how you learned to edit a few decades ago.

You want THAT so bad? Have at it.

(But we must be COMPATIBLE with industry norms!!!)- I hear the legions say...

Yes, yes you do. Sorry about that. But that ain't my fault that industries evolve so slowly and are more ready to protect the status quo than to face the risks of innovation.

The big slam on said innovation for the early years is that it was TERRIBLE innovation. Now its kinda looking like it was REAL innovation - since many, many of us are getting significantly more work done faster than before we moved over.

And so it goes. ; )

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 15, 2017 at 8:21:01 pm

[Bill Davis] "Basically, even if they NEVER DEMAND ANYTHING from you - it's just a straight up BAD DEAL when you get nothing but the opportunity to stay where you are and not have to change too much from how you learned to edit a few decades ago. "

I'm looking a list of credits I'm proud of, a nice annual income, and wondering where this "bad deal" you are talking about resides (and as I've mentioned before, due to the nature of my work I don't worry about amassing a virtual closet full of old projects). Maybe for you personally you think it's a bad deal, or for people in a similar situation as yourself you think it's a bad deal, but calling it a "straight up bad deal" is an inaccurate overgeneralization.

What people have is the opportunity to make a living using a number of products and if they can make a better living using one NLE over another how is that a bad deal? For example, X job opportunities in my neck of the woods are almost like hen's teeth yet you can't swing a dead cat without hitting PPro gigs. I've literally (and I mean literally, not figuratively) seen more job postings in my area for Mandarin/English bilingual editors than I have for editors knowing how to use X. How is having more opportunities to work on gigs I'm excited about *and* having opportunities to make a good living a bad deal?

Do I wish Adobe did somethings different? Sure, but I'm not about to cut of my nose to spite my face. Ideological stubbornness doesn't pay the rent or change the fact that X is just flat out not popular in my area compared to Avid and PPro. Maybe that'll change significantly in the future, maybe not. Either way, I don't really care because I'm cool editing on whatever makes the most sense at the time (workflow-wise, money-wise, personal preference-wise, etc.,). I've got X, Avid, PPro, Resolve (and yes, still FCP7) installed so my bases are covered. I'm a pragmatic dude that edits, not a product evangelist.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Mar 16, 2017 at 12:58:19 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "I've got X, Avid, PPro, Resolve (and yes, still FCP7) installed so my bases are covered."

Same as me.

I got an interesting debrief from a colleague who just returned from SXSW. In one of the Adobe talks, the company spokesperson confirmed what I have been thinking in that the CC has gotten so huge, Adobe knows it needs to focus more on consistency of product performance and of UI across products. That was my exact takeaway from the Max conference in November: Adobe is trying to be too many things and sh** will fall through the cracks. Tools built at different times by different teams. 4,000+ UI symbols in circulation today. If the company can focus the product line it could be a great thing, but right now, even Adobe acknowledges a lack of focus and consistency.

Sorry, wandered a bit from the OP. Rise against the Adobe Machine!!!!

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 16, 2017 at 5:02:38 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Sorry, wandered a bit from the OP. Rise against the Adobe Machine!!!!"

The "machine" is fine. I have friends who work in the machine and I have no quarrel with them or even their products.

I have a single point of contention.

That issue where they think it's OK to hold MY prior work hostage via their rental model.

If they made Premiere Pro work like Lightroom or Photoshop did originally where I could own a copy of the program that I used to create my assets - even one "frozen in time" at the state where I used it to create what I'd created - I'd have nothing left to bitch about.

Until then...

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 17, 2017 at 4:06:52 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "I got an interesting debrief from a colleague who just returned from SXSW. In one of the Adobe talks, the company spokesperson confirmed what I have been thinking in that the CC has gotten so huge, Adobe knows it needs to focus more on consistency of product performance and of UI across products"

That is one of my gripes with Adobe is that sometimes new features will come out and they are seemingly never revisited again even though they could use some tweaks. I think MorphCut is an example of that. Or if MorphCut has been updated that leads me to another gripe is that Adobe will improve something but not tell anyone. For example, when Search Bins first came out (2014 I think) it was okay, but definitely felt more like a proof of concept than a full blown feature. But in 2015 they made a ton of improvements to it... and told no one (it wasn't in any feature list that I saw from Adobe). On a lark I toyed with the Search Bins in 2015 and discovered that they'd addressed almost all the shortcomings I thought were in the 2014 version.

The lack of documentation/manuals from Adobe is also maddening as hell.

With regards to UI consistency across products, on one hand I think there could be a bit more homogeny, but on the other hand PPro, PS, AE, AI, etc., should all stay focused doing the best they can for their core demographics, even if that means a PPro users doesn't instantly feel 'at home' when they open up AE or PS. Creating 'one UI to serve them all' will just mean everyone is unhappy.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 15, 2017 at 8:55:18 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Mar 16, 2017 at 8:59:56 am

I used ALL CAPS as satire.

I'm not entirely convinced that you are doing the same.

LOL. Facepalm. Random emoji.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 16, 2017 at 5:32:14 am

Six years and I still use CAPS when I should use italics for emphasis.

My bad.

My story is that I learned typing on a Smith Corona typewriter and CAPS was all we poor fools had for emphasis.

My VERY bad.

SORRY.

(Sigh)

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 16, 2017 at 8:56:58 am

[Bill Davis] "My story is that I learned typing on a Smith Corona typewriter and CAPS was all we poor fools had for emphasis. "

Would this be the same Smith Corona that had a perfectly serviceable underline key?

Or did the mileage vary on your model?

;-)

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 16, 2017 at 4:58:44 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Or did the mileage vary on your model?"

Mine was two-tone and MUCH prettier.

Then again, it was a "hand me down" from my sister, so there's that.

; )

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Mar 16, 2017 at 8:50:41 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] Would this be the same Smith Corona that had a perfectly serviceable underline key?

Regardless the functionality :
This one looks ugly.
The only valid ones: Underwood before 1930.

- Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]