FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blade

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Ross
Blade
on Feb 28, 2017 at 7:22:55 pm

If Apple is looking only to the future, and wanting to dump the old, ancient ways of the past...including the terminology used, like "bin," why is the "blade" tool still called BLADE? And why does it look like a razor? That all harkens back to film days. You don't use a blade on digital video, that would be silly. You'll cut your monitor or something.

Sorry, just found this to be an interesting hold out of terminology. What might the modern name for this action be called? What do you all think it should be called? And what should the icon be?

OH...BTW...I was dragged kicking and screaming into cutting on FCX today...emergency situation...so...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Blade
on Feb 28, 2017 at 7:38:32 pm

[Shane Ross] "hat might the modern name for this action be called? "

In Media Composer it's called "Add Edit" and has been since time immemorial.

And a much better name it is too.

And it's not a freakin' mode! Why do developers think that's a good idea? It's a terrible, terrible idea.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 28, 2017 at 7:47:40 pm

Yeah, see? Even Avid, which was DESIGNED around film and to make film editors comfortable with computer editing didn't call it BLADE. FCP Legacy did...

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 28, 2017 at 7:50:12 pm

[Shane Ross] "Even Avid, which was DESIGNED around film and to make film editors comfortable with computer editing didn't call it BLADE."

Indeed.

They also understood that it's an action you want to perform on the fly, which is why making Blade a mode is an imbecilic idea.

Not sure who started it but someone needs to stop it!

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Gabriel Spaulding
on Feb 28, 2017 at 8:36:18 pm

FCP X does not use the terminology of bins because keyword collections and smart collections are functionally very different than bins, which are merely containers that you put media in. I have no insight into why Apple chose to hold to the "blade" terminology for cutting clips except to say that the fundamental act of doing so has not changed, you're splicing a clip no matter what you call it. Also: how is selecting the Blade Tool in FCP X considered a "mode"?

Gabriel Spaulding
Creator & Director of ACE Enterprizes
Videographer | Video Editor | Motion Designer

How Can We Help You Tell Your Story?
http://www.aceenterprizes.com

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Feb 28, 2017 at 10:04:30 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "They also understood that it's an action you want to perform on the fly, which is why making Blade a mode is an imbecilic idea. "

Yes. That's why I changed the keyboard shortcut for the B-key from "Blade Tool" to "Blade". Now it works as it should have from the beginning. Took me about 1 minute to figure it out.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 28, 2017 at 10:06:06 pm

But that doesn't alter the fact that Apple should have had the basic common sense to figure it out for you.

But they don't.

Not that they're alone here.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Gabriel Spaulding
on Feb 28, 2017 at 10:12:32 pm

In nearly six years I think this is the first time I've heard anything about someone having problems with slicing a clip in FCP X. If "Apple should have had the basic common sense to figure it out for you" then why isn't Adobe responsible for providing a clean Premiere Pro UI with logically laid out panels rather than more or less forcing its users to shuffle everything around until it works for them? Why didn't Adobe anticipate how EVERYBODY prefers to work? No NLE is perfect and every editor works differently but man, this is such a silly little thing.

Gabriel Spaulding

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Mar 1, 2017 at 11:53:46 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Mar 1, 2017 at 11:55:15 am

[Brett Sherman] "Yes. That's why I changed the keyboard shortcut for the B-key from "Blade Tool" to "Blade". Now it works as it should have from the beginning. Took me about 1 minute to figure it out."

Simply holding the B-key (or any other tool's shortcut for that matter), clicking, and then letting go would do the same btw, without having to change anything. 😉

- RK

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 28, 2017 at 8:37:10 pm

[Shane Ross] "What do you all think it should be called? And what should the icon be?
"

"Magic Edit Maker"? with a icon of a lightsaber?

Seriously, they could call it "Dave" as long as the function works who cares what it's called?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 28, 2017 at 8:41:16 pm

Call it what you want...if BLADE works...it works. I'm just finding it odd that for an app that's so forward looking (or claims to be) it still has terminology and icons that refer to film.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Feb 28, 2017 at 8:59:27 pm

Shane,

It is kind of funny that pretty much all modern NLEs have a strange collection of film editing references mixed in with modern, digital concepts. FCPX still uses the visual artifice of sprocket holes on the edges of the frame in certain cases. I think there are still many vestiges of the old "skeumorphism vs not" battle that raged at Apple for a number of years.

On the other hand, remember the fire that rained down from the heavens when Avid replaced the weightlifter icon on the "lift" edit button? And to this day, Avid can't decide whether it's emulating a flatbed film editor or a two machine videotape editor. Not that it really matters.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 28, 2017 at 9:08:06 pm

[Jeff Markgraf] "Not that it really matters."

I agree that it doesn't really matter in the great scheme of things. But I think what does matter is what it tells us about the mentality of the people designing this stuff.

There's a whole lot of lazy thinking that we could well do without.

When we hear that such and such a piece of software represents the ne plus ultra of design, we really need to think about the hundreds of small things that are fundamentally suboptimal in so many different ways.

Shane is right to be irritated by the Blade concept.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Gabriel Spaulding
on Feb 28, 2017 at 9:14:47 pm

Based on that logic, shall we be suspicious of every NLE developer because we still call it the "playhead"? Sure, After Effects calls it the "Current Time Indicator" but that seems like a completely unnecessary and clunky name change. If it's functionally the same as it's always been, why change the name? (That FCP X calls sequences "projects" is an odd choice, admittedly, but this has zero impact on the work one is able to get done).

Gabriel Spaulding

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 28, 2017 at 9:18:05 pm

[Gabriel Spaulding] "If it's functionally the same as it's always been, why change the name?"

Then why is a project an EVENT...why is a timeline a PROJECT? Same functionality...why change the name. THIS is my point. Why did they change those, arbitrarily, but leave this one alone?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Gabriel Spaulding
on Feb 28, 2017 at 9:20:30 pm

I addressed that in my last post: "That FCP X calls sequences "projects" is an odd choice, admittedly, but this has zero impact on the work one is able to get done)."

Gabriel Spaulding

Return to posts index

Gabriel Spaulding
on Feb 28, 2017 at 8:41:31 pm

What's wrong with the "Blade Tool"? You're cutting a clip in virtually the same way you'd splice a piece of film. There is no functional difference, no reason to divorce the terminology from its analog counterpart in this case. Blade tool, scissors tool, Samurai sword tool... you're just cutting a clip. I agree with Steve, who cares what it's called?

Gabriel Spaulding

Return to posts index

Gabriel Spaulding
on Feb 28, 2017 at 8:45:32 pm

" I'm just finding it odd that for an app that's so forward looking (or claims to be) it still has terminology and icons that refer to film."

I see where you're coming from but slicing a clip is a fundamental editing requirement. If Apple reinvents this operation, adds some functionality to it, then I'd agree that it ought to have an updated name. Until then, it seems like a silly argument.

Gabriel Spaulding

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 28, 2017 at 9:15:17 pm

[Gabriel Spaulding] "I see where you're coming from but slicing a clip is a fundamental editing requirement. If Apple reinvents this operation, adds some functionality to it, then I'd agree that it ought to have an updated name. Until then, it seems like a silly argument."

What it does is fine...we all need that. But for an application that people say is so forward looking...that us dinosaurs need to move to the future...it has a VERY old icon and VERY old terminology. That's all I'm saying. As Simon said, even Avid calls it ADD EDIT.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Gabriel Spaulding
on Feb 28, 2017 at 9:18:35 pm

"Add edit" is clumsy. Sure, you're adding an edit point where before there was none, but you're really just cutting a clip, slicing it, blading it, whatever. This is nitpicking at the highest level.

"But for an application that people say is so forward looking...that us dinosaurs need to move to the future..." Even the space shuttle has wheels, FWIW.

Gabriel Spaulding

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 28, 2017 at 9:22:36 pm

[Gabriel Spaulding] ""Add edit" is clumsy. Sure, you're adding an edit point where before there was none, but you're really just cutting a clip, slicing it, blading it, whatever. This is nitpicking at the highest level."

It describes what it's doing...not clumsy at all. And yes, I'm nitpicking...TOTALLY nitpicking. One of the big issues I had with FCX is why they changed the names of things like projects and timelines and bins. OK, bins I get, it's a new thing..but the others are exactly the same. And then they (initially) dropped support for creating DVDs..and still the app doesn't capture from tape unless its DV or HDV...betaSP, HDCAM....nope..gotta go third party. Because it's THE FUTURE OF EDITING. Only...you don't razor digital media. Just nitpicking as to why they changed the names of some things and not others. I'm just making an odd comment...picking nits

[Gabriel Spaulding] ""But for an application that people say is so forward looking...that us dinosaurs need to move to the future..." Even the space shuttle has wheels, FWIW."

Yes...and they are called wheels. It wasn't changed to some other thing as wheels are in the past. They are wheels, still used as wheels, still called WHEELS. They weren't changed to ROTATIONAL DEVICES for some arbitrary reason.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Feb 28, 2017 at 10:13:04 pm

[Shane Ross] "It describes what it's doing...not clumsy at all. And yes, I'm nitpicking...TOTALLY nitpicking."

"Add Edit" is more imprecise language. When you "blade" or "slice" a clip you understand that the clip is still contiguous timing wise. "Add Edit" itself doesn't imply the same thing. It could describe a shot that is contiguous or a shot that has nothing to do with the first shot. Linguistically it could describe either situation. Two can play the nitpicky game.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Feb 28, 2017 at 9:25:27 pm

Maybe we can acknowledge that the underlying point here is "for an application that is supposedly so forward thinking..."

OK. We all get it. The hyperbole from fans and defenders is tired and unnecessary.

Most of us who use X and prefer it over the other choices don't spend time trying to sell it to others. I, for one, couldn't care less what someone thinks of my preferred editing platform. Yes, I find the level of misinformation and hostility, even after over five years, silly and sad, but merely a minor annoyance at this point. If someone really wants to know why I like it, I'm happy to explain. If someone just wants to argue or belittle -- meh, not so much.

Sorry you had to be dragged kicking and screaming, Shane. It usually takes a few weeks of real use to get over the hump, but you may discover who it is that many us like so much about X. If not, that's fine, too.

Return to posts index

Gabriel Spaulding
on Feb 28, 2017 at 9:41:06 pm

I feel like most people aren't turned off by FCP X itself but by the positive things that others say about it. How dare they call it forward thinking? What nerve do these people have to suggest that it has made editing fun for them again? Who are you to say you're editing faster now? It's a really odd thing. Now it's "forward thinking" but not forward thinking enough because Apple didn't rename every tool. We just can't win. I don't know any FCP X user that wants everyone else to use FCP X (Adobe is the company with Evangelists...), but just for people to understand that FCP X is a viable and wonderful tool, and after nearly 6 years one seldom hears, "I recognize that it is a really nice tool, I just prefer Premiere Pro (or Avid, etc.)" it's normally just misunderstanding and vitriol.

Gabriel Spaulding

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 28, 2017 at 9:45:51 pm

I think possibly you are over-reacting here.

I suspect that Shane made his original comment more in the spirit of ironic fun than as a profound critique of the entire FCP X Gestalt.

And some of us could do with a bit of fun in our lives right now.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Gabriel Spaulding
on Feb 28, 2017 at 9:47:13 pm

You are possibly not wrong ;)

Gabriel Spaulding

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 28, 2017 at 9:57:49 pm

Yes, sorry. It was a "trolling" sort of joke...all in fun. No harm meant. And "kicking and screaming" is also all in fun. I'm interested in finally trying to dig in and work with this. See what all the fuss is about.

I was genuinely curious about the naming convention and the icon...but it's not a big deal. Just meant in fun.

Didn't mean to insult anyone, Jeff...

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Feb 28, 2017 at 11:39:42 pm

Not at all, Shane. No harm, no foul, no insult taken at all. I totally understood the spirit in which your post was intended.

I'm glad to see you're dipping your toe into the FCPX water, however reluctantly. You may actually like it, especially now that most of the initial growing pains have been dealt with. Though I know the famous Hollywood Hostility (tm) toward anything new or different, so prevalent in your world (and, to a lesser extent, in mine) will never really go away.

OT: are you still on the Oak Island show? How is that to work on? I assume it's Avid? And are they ever gonna find that dang money pit?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 1, 2017 at 12:00:49 am

[Jeff Markgraf] " Though I know the famous Hollywood Hostility (tm) toward anything new or different, so prevalent in your world (and, to a lesser extent, in mine) will never really go away."

Well...I'm mainly like "why fix what wasn't broken?" Although FCX is perfect PERFECT for many workflows, it doesn't really fit what my needs are. I'll see if it does, now that it has LANES and I can find my ROLES more easily on the Project. But dunno...Again, what I use works, and works well, so...

[Jeff Markgraf] "OT: are you still on the Oak Island show? "

I wrapped out two weeks ago. Final episode aired last week. But there is a DIGGING DOWN airing tonight. Didn't cut that, but a couple co-workers did. I need to watch that.

[Jeff Markgraf] "How is that to work on? "

A TOTAL BLAST! One of my favorite shows. REAL reality, not fake made up stuff. They do stuff, we follow. Reality and Doc and legendary.

[Jeff Markgraf] "I assume it's Avid? "

Yes, totally. 6-9 editors at a time, shared media, offline-online workflow...need access to media for all of the seasons at the same time, PLUS lots of archival. Something that large would cripple FCX.

[Jeff Markgraf] "And are they ever gonna find that dang money pit?"

I hope so, and I hope we are there to capture it! Thanks for being a fan.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 28, 2017 at 9:17:21 pm

[Gabriel Spaulding] "If Apple reinvents this operation, adds some functionality to it ..."

Out of interest, what is the unique thing that you are suggesting that Apple has "added" here?

I confess I'm not seeing it.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Gabriel Spaulding
on Feb 28, 2017 at 9:19:10 pm

Apple has added nothing to the Blade Tool, which is precisely why there was no reason for a name change.

Gabriel Spaulding

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 28, 2017 at 9:23:14 pm

[Gabriel Spaulding] "Apple has added nothing to the Blade Tool, which is precisely why there was no reason for a name change."

What did it add to the TIMELINE to make it a PROJECT? To the Project to call it an EVENT?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Gabriel Spaulding
on Feb 28, 2017 at 9:29:19 pm

I have no insight into Apple's naming conventions. I'm not saying they've all been given the best possible names.

"Yes...and they are called wheels. It wasn't changed to some other thing as wheels are in the past. They are wheels, still used as wheels, still called WHEELS. They weren't changed to ROTATIONAL DEVICES for some arbitrary reason."

The point of the space shuttle analogy was to demonstrate that the "forward thinking" FCP X (space shuttle) still has legacy tools like the blade tool (wheels). Just because FCP X did not revolutionize every single aspect of video editing and retains some useful legacy tools does not mean that the app is not forward thinking.

Gabriel Spaulding

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 28, 2017 at 9:39:36 pm

Unlike Shane, I am not overly exercised by the issue of the naming convention.

What does irritate me almost beyond expression is the laziness of the implementation.

Blade should be by default an operation not a mode. However, Apple have shown they are just as lazy as everyone else and they have decided that there is a Blade "Tool" that you need to invoke in order to blade.

This is patently absurd and shows that they have no real understanding of how editors work, unlike AVID who have always understood that by default blading is something you need/want to do on the fly.

The first thing you need to do in any FCP X-like NLE (and it's of course not the only NLE that is guilty of this) is to swap the keyboard shortcuts for the Blade Tool and Blade. In the case of FCP X, you need to swap "B" with "Cmd-B".

But you shouldn't have to. You should not need a modifier key for such a key operation.

I know it's a small thing. But small things show you the weaknesses at the heart of this sort of design better than the big things.

FCP X and Motion in their latest incarnations are riddled with appalling design decisions of this kind. They don't matter in themselves, but what they show is how little real design intelligence is guiding all of this.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Gabriel Spaulding
on Feb 28, 2017 at 9:45:04 pm

I do not understand how you consider this a "mode". You have different tools just as you do in Premiere Pro or any other software. Perhaps it's the same tool albeit with a modifier key, but at that point if you're pressing a key what's the difference if you press the B key instead? The number of times I have been annoyed by using the blade tool is precisely zero. With the skimmer —not having to drag or scrub a playhead— Command B is super fast as well. I don't see how this is even a thing, blading a clip is like the easiest thing in the world.

Gabriel Spaulding

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 28, 2017 at 9:47:43 pm

[Gabriel Spaulding] "The number of times I have been annoyed by using the blade tool is precisely zero."

I am a (sort of) software developer. Once you get into that mindset you tend to get very picky about very small things.

Because small things are signifiers of big things.

Or at least that's been my experience.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Gabriel Spaulding
on Feb 28, 2017 at 9:54:50 pm

If you are a software developer I imagine that you find Premiere Pro to be exceptionally clunky. In terms of optimal workflows, reduced clicks and window resizing/docking, screen real estate dedicated to actual content, and so much more FCP X does a better job than Premiere Pro, in my opinion. I used Premiere Pro for quite some time before switching to FCP X (the day it was released), and Premiere Pro allowed me to do my job —it is every bit as professional as FCP X, I am not making that argument— but in terms of outdated code, tacking on new code to solve every new problem, panels upon panels upon panels, a seemingly endless list of old bugs, from a coding and UI perspective I do not see how Premiere Pro can possibly win there.

Gabriel Spaulding

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 28, 2017 at 11:17:45 pm

Originally it was for an Apple promotional tie-in with the Wesley Snipes movie of the same name.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 28, 2017 at 11:39:30 pm

[Noah Kadner] "Originally it was for an Apple promotional tie-in with the Wesley Snipes movie of the same name."

Snort.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 28, 2017 at 11:36:23 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "The first thing you need to do in any FCP X-like NLE (and it's of course not the only NLE that is guilty of this) is to swap the keyboard shortcuts for the Blade Tool and Blade. In the case of FCP X, you need to swap "B" with "Cmd-B"."

In X, B fits with the other single tap mode stuff like A, P, T and R to let the editor toggle Into a mode of similar actions until they elect to stop.

That seems pilosophically consistent to me.

I just don't see it as a burden to add the left thumb To B to cut something.

Not if you keyboard with both hands, anyway.

YMMV.

Return to posts index

Gabriel Spaulding
on Feb 28, 2017 at 11:40:38 pm

Right. I can understand why one would prefer that the two keyboard shortcuts be swapped, but it's like microseconds either way, pure muscle memory after doing it a couple of times.

Gabriel Spaulding

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Feb 28, 2017 at 11:54:18 pm

Are we really debating this?

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 1, 2017 at 10:33:50 pm

[Gabriel Spaulding] "I see where you're coming from but slicing a clip is a fundamental editing requirement."

then why not call it slice?
you've used that word a couple of times so maybe it's the more natural term?

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Feb 28, 2017 at 11:52:13 pm

Why don't we have a Julienne tool?

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Mar 1, 2017 at 12:36:58 am

[Shane Ross] "OH...BTW...I was dragged kicking and screaming into cutting on FCX today...emergency situation...so..."

[Shane Ross] "What it does is fine...we all need that. But for an application that people say is so forward looking...that us dinosaurs need to move to the future...it has a VERY old icon and VERY old terminology. That's all I'm saying. As Simon said, even Avid calls it ADD EDIT."

Blades cut things!

If blade is such an antiquated term then why call editing cutting? 😉

(for the record, I don't agree with all the naming conventions of any NLE)

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 1, 2017 at 3:20:27 am

Man this thread was fun to read 😉
I'm teaching a class at the moment and bored to death (students are working on their projects).
Great thread folks really eye awakening.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 1, 2017 at 3:37:16 am

[Darren Roark] "If blade is such an antiquated term then why call editing cutting?"

I myself am PERFECTLY FINE with old naming conventions. Calling it "cutting" based on actual cutting of film is still fine. That's tradition, and I for one like tradition. I don't mind if containers or folders or whatever that holds individual clips are called BINS, nor that the stringing out of our footage to tell the story is called a SEQUENCE or TIMELINE. Those work, they are perfectly acceptable names. And tradition is a good thing.

I'm poking fun at Apple renaming things simply to rename them, or to "look to the future." But then somehow still be in the past with a razor blade icon and the term BLADE used to make an edit to digital media. That's all. Ironic. Should be in that Alanis Morrisette song.

"It's like using a razor blade, to edit a digital file,
Oh isn't it ironic?"

(I'm no lyricist)

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mike Fitzsimmons
on Mar 1, 2017 at 5:35:36 am

With all the hullabaloo about "Blade" why are they still referred to as "Clips" for that matter?

To quote Monty Python, "This isn't an argument!"

Mike
'Burbs of Detroit

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 1, 2017 at 8:31:04 am

FCP X also has film leader, filmstrips, clapboards, sprocket holes, analog clocks/watches, keys for 18th century locks and magnifying glasses fit for a minimalist Sherlock Holmes. It's almost like these icons are close to being universally understood and it's more trouble than it's worth to ditch and have to teach people a new visual vocabulary.

Yay pragmatism!

My partying linguistic gift "Farmok and Jalad at Tanagra"

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Mar 1, 2017 at 5:45:55 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "My partying linguistic gift "Farmok and Jalad at Tanagra""

Best Trek reference on the Cow, EVER!

Shawn

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 1, 2017 at 8:07:10 pm

[Shawn Miller] "[Andrew Kimery] "My partying linguistic gift "Farmok and Jalad at Tanagra""

Best Trek reference on the Cow, EVER!"

Even misspelled. 😁 But yes, absolutely stellar.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 1, 2017 at 6:18:10 am

What do we call it? I dunno. How 'bout Speed Razor?

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 1, 2017 at 6:20:29 am

I dunno. How 'bout Speed Razor?

Also, personally, I like "splitty thing."

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 1, 2017 at 8:45:27 am

[Chris Harlan] "Also, personally, I like "splitty thing.""

The Splitty McSplittyface Tool would be even better...

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 1, 2017 at 5:30:33 pm

[Bill Davis] "The Splitty McSplittyface Tool would be even better..."

That literally would've made me laugh out loud if I wasn't reading this on my phone in a public bathroom.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 1, 2017 at 5:37:37 pm

[Bill Davis] "The Splitty McSplittyface Tool would be even better..."

WINNER!

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mike Parfit
on Mar 11, 2017 at 9:47:22 pm

I see mention of "Speed Razor." Who remembers Speed Razor? Does anyone know what happened?

I was using it, there was talk of a new version, then poof! Gone.

Does that ring a bell? Anyone?

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 11, 2017 at 10:02:56 pm
Last Edited By Chris Harlan on Mar 11, 2017 at 10:06:08 pm

[Mike Parfit] "I see mention of "Speed Razor." Who remembers Speed Razor? Does anyone know what happened?

I was using it, there was talk of a new version, then poof! Gone.

Does that ring a bell? Anyone?"

Oh, yes. I used to own one. For the time it was pretty cool. I had it paired with a Matrox digisuite LE. I was in some contact with the company at the time. I think they just didn't have the users. They were early out as a "broadcast" NLE, but it quickly became a crowded field, and things started to tip towards Mac. They just didn't have enough market share or development staff to deal with a quickly changing market. I sat in on one about a decade ago and was shocked at how sluggy it was. Fun for the time though!

Return to posts index

Mike Parfit
on Mar 11, 2017 at 10:39:52 pm

Hi, Chris,

Yes, I really liked it. It was quite stable, as I remember, more stable than everything else I'd tried.

Thanks for answering my question!

Cheers,

Mike

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Mar 11, 2017 at 11:32:57 pm

For the time it was a really excellent compositor, too.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 1, 2017 at 7:21:05 am

I call it the "Super Duper Slicer Dicer". It slices and it dices. Unlike the other blade tools this one never needs sharpening. It's patented design helps prevent nicks, cuts and scratches unlike other blade tools. It also has a stick free surface, no amount of film cement is a match. Just rinse with water! Safe for the careless user yet tough on those pesky clips. It now comes in three neon colors. 😉

Sorry, just could not help myself. Need to stop watching those paid advertisements.

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Mar 1, 2017 at 8:40:56 pm

It's called blade because to this day, people who make and watch movies still refer to the silent film mechanism of the "cut." "That superhero movie had too many cuts!" "That art movie had a really long shot with no cuts!" In fact, people use the movie metaphor in everyday life: "So I get my money from the ATM. CUT TO, I'm home ... and I suddenly realize I don't have my card!"

They could use a scissor icon instead of blade. It's still a cut. What is the quick read, obvious consumer icon for "add edit?" And anyway, "add edit" is two words instead of one. Avid was a pro tool from day one, and the GUI looks it.

"Splice" DOES apply to both film and tape (back when cut tape with a razor blade!) But it hasn't entered the vernacular as a term for "transition to" or "jump to." It has largely remained a tech term, as in gene-splicing or wire-splicing or tree-splicing.

BTW in FCPX you don't have to leave/enter a "mode" to make a cut. You can use the basic "Selection" tool cursor, hovering over a clip, and hold down "b" then click ... and you have made an "add edit." You then release the "b" and the cursor is still in the "a" or Selection tool mode.

My language complaint is with Library, Event and Project. You can explain "Library" to people, sort of: "Okay, everything is in there; media, output, edit decisions. It's like a Library - everything you need to know." Fine.

But then there is "Event" which is really just a bin or a folder. This is clearly a holdover from iPhoto and iMovie, where Apple presumed a consumer would shoot an "event" such as a wedding, a birthday, a wild day of skateboarding or a vacation. Silly, and a bit demeaning to the serious hobbyist, much less to a pro. After all, they didn't call the app Final Cut Family!

But far worse is "Project." Why eliminate "sequence," which has always made sense in movies, video, slide shows, stories? They could have used "Timeline," which may sound technical to a consumer, but at least contains the logic of what a sequence IS. "Let me make a shorter version of the birthday video. I'll start a new Timeline."

But when does anyone, in the middle of work, say, "Let me start a new project?" "What, you're bored with editing the birthday? So let's go out to the garage and build a canoe!" Project is just stupid IMO.

Still, I don't let Avid off the hook. They were the original abuser of mixed metaphors, with their "Source" and "Record" windows coming from tape editing, while their timeline & tracks have NOTHING to do with tape and are in fact a visual depiction of strips of film (picture and audio track) running in sync, under a "playhead" through a ganged synchronizer. Except the timeline is governed by "timecode" - back to tape again! And "Bin" also comes from film ... although "trim bins" in film editing only held smaller numbers of short clips and sequences. Where are the "cores" and "reels" that hold larger collections of outtakes, assemblies and such? As I said, nobody gets off the hook.

Doug D

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 1, 2017 at 9:57:42 pm

As inconsistent as the metaphors are, it must be even crazier translating the terms to other languages, which may not have adopted the same film or videotape terminology as in English in all cases.

Anyone from Europe or the rest of the world care to chime in?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 2, 2017 at 12:23:46 am
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Mar 2, 2017 at 12:29:02 am

[Douglas K. Dempsey] "But then there is "Event" which is really just a bin or a folder"

Not at all, to my thinking.

It's all semantics, of course. But I've seen so many X editors who use "events" in such interesting ways, that I LOVE the fact that it's now becoming separated from the old GUI folder/bin visual conceptualization..

I say that partly because I still see TONS of "new to X editors" who come in thinking "folders" is how we organize things - and I think holding onto bins and folders thinking actually slows them down. It's usually not until they start to think more in terms of "keywords"" as an overall organizing principal - and leave "folders" mentally behind that they start "getting it" about how X works. As everyone who uses X knows, a Folder is a location idea. And no "location" is expected to be a thing that inter-connects with OTHER locations - which is precisely what X's keyword system is BRILLIANT at.

Basically, a FOLDER stores "items". An Event on the other hand, aggregates things that enable Connections.

Folders (even smart ones" are way dumber than keywords IMO.

So it's time to mentally move on, the terminology change helps that, IMO.

YMMV.

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Mar 2, 2017 at 2:06:02 am

Bill, I acknowledge that once you use events as intended, with keywords, smart collections etc ... it really is a different way of thinking. So calling it merely a folder is inaccurate. Sorry.

I am just weighing in on this discussion of odd names in NLEs, as designers struggle with what metaphor they should use. And ion my argument, I stripped away most of an Event's function, to look at the base function that IS similar to a "bin." When you first encounter an Event in FCPX, it is a "location" where you are asked to "store" media that you import. Later, you find that you can take an item out of "Event A" and drag it in to "Event B." It is no longer in A. It now reside in B. THAT basic function is similar to a bin. And I do not believe that, event though this aspect of the FCPX database organizational power does more than a mere bin ... that "Event" is an appropriate name. Again, Event started as a folder in iPhoto and is silly in FCPX.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Mar 2, 2017 at 8:52:17 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Mar 2, 2017 at 8:53:13 am

[Douglas K. Dempsey] " Later, you find that you can take an item out of "Event A" and drag it in to "Event B." It is no longer in A. It now reside in B."

Assuming that both events are in the same library, yes. If not, that isn't the case, nor is it even an option. But then having multiple "libraries" (i.e. projects) open at the same time isn't even possible elsewhere to begin with, right? Certainly not with FCP 7 nor PPro. So, no comparison there either.

On the other hand, holding the ⌥ key will not move but rather copy the file to B. Is that possible with the classic "bin" you're referring to? Nope. So again, different concept, even if there are seeming similarities at first glance.

I'd say that had they been named "bins" it would do nothing but simply shift the (imho rather nonsensical) nomenclature discussion elsewhere.

- RK

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 2, 2017 at 11:44:43 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "having multiple "libraries" (i.e. projects) open at the same time isn't even possible elsewhere to begin with, right? Certainly not with FCP 7 nor PPro."

I've read this several times and you appear to be claiming that it's not possible to have more than one project open at one time in FCP 7.

If this is indeed what you meant, it is incorrect.

It is of course true of Premiere but not FCP 7.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Mar 2, 2017 at 11:53:44 am

[Simon Ubsdell] "It is of course true of Premiere but not FCP 7."

Ah! I stand corrected, yes. I must have let myself be confused by the visual differences i.e. differences in the handling. What can I say, it's been at least four if not five years since I last used 7 for anything more than a quick check on something, comparison or simple export. My bad.

- RK

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 2, 2017 at 11:56:11 am

Ah, OK. It's easy to forget how much you could do with FCP 7!

This feature was especially important for us as it was the foundation of project sharing between groups of editors.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Mar 2, 2017 at 3:38:05 pm

Haha, yes, Simon I was going to point that out to Robin as well – working with multiple projects in FCP7 was similar to multiple libraries in FCPX.

But more interesting than that, Robin, is how you fell immediately into the language problem that was the point of this thread! “But then having multiple "libraries" (i.e. projects) open at the same time ...”

We are forced to refer to the common-sense concept of “project” as a “library” now because Apple has usurped the universal meaning of “project” in order to mis-use it to mean “timeline” or “sequence.”

I fully understand that the FCPX Event is not a bin, not even a super-bin or a smart folder or a collection. It is something else. But it is most assuredly not an Event. That was the (nonsensical) discussion at hand.

The thread began with Shane Ross bemusedly noting the quaint use of “blade” and a razor icon. I tried to one-up him by saying that at least a blade makes a cut. How do Library, Project and Event make any sense at all?

I guess FCPX was such a leap into a different paradigm, that the poets at Apple struggled with what to call things. I think they punted with Library, Project and Event. There is no parallel structure or relationship between the three words/concepts. All you have to do is Google this issue, to see the public-at-large struggling to wrap their mind around these ill-named concepts. By comparison, “blade” is genius!

Doug D

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 2, 2017 at 3:45:00 pm

[Douglas K. Dempsey] "By comparison, “blade” is genius!"

Just to be super pedantic about this, the reason it's called "Blade" in FCP X is almost certainly because it was called "Razor Blade" in FCP Legacy.

In other words, Shane was wrong to suggest that this was some form of terminological innovation in FCP X - what was he thinking?

;-)

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Mar 2, 2017 at 4:01:16 pm

I took Shane's observation as a bemused observation that, in the 21st century, we still have no better way of describing an edit than the original silent film action of physically slicing or scissoring the celluloid!

For sure, Apple was right to stick with Blade as a progression from FCP7. And as I said earlier, it's better than "add edit" for the consumer, all of whom understand the idea of a "cut" in a movie.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 2, 2017 at 4:12:35 pm

Indeed, you are quite right.

And "Add Edit" is certainly not helpfully descriptive at all - I remember 20 odd years ago being mystified when I first came across it!

As for "Blade", we use metaphors from antiquated customs all the time and that's one of the delights of the way we use language. I'm all for it.

But I completely take your observations about the rest of the FCP X terminology in terms of Library, Event and Project - I'm not sure that the metaphors there are helpful in the same way.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 2, 2017 at 4:58:02 pm

I've come up with a title graphic for the movie, Blade X: Clash of Metaphors.

This will also do for my submission for what the icon for the tool should be. Nothing more iconic than friggin Wesley Snipes in friggin Blade, y'all.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 2, 2017 at 5:18:40 pm

The Blade tool should look like a sword, and be animated as it cuts the clip in two. THAT would be a futuristic tool!

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 2, 2017 at 5:39:18 pm

I use this which lets me do two edits at the same time!

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 2, 2017 at 10:17:17 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "
"

Which gets us to...

How I usually see myself as an editor... (top image)
verses how others likely see me. (bottom image)

Self delusion - the friend I can always count on.

; )

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Mar 7, 2017 at 7:53:15 pm

[Shane Ross] "The Blade tool should look like a sword, and be animated as it cuts the clip in two. THAT would be a futuristic tool!"

Like the little weight lifter guy that used to be in Media Composer...

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Mar 7, 2017 at 6:27:51 pm

I know we're done with this silly thread, and thanks to Shane - it was a lot of fun.

I want to say ... SOME interface metaphors are delightful, and I am thinking of the FCPX "head" and "tail" icons of a clip, to indicate first frame and last frame, when seen in the Viewer. I love the FCPX "film sprocket holes" graphic, running down the left (head) or the right (tail) side of the window. It makes no literal sense -- "Oh, I've gone over as far over as I can, there's the edge of my piece of film" -- something an old optical house operator might say, while enlarging or "blowing up" a frame. It's the adoption of an anachronistic image for a different purpose ... but it just looks cool. Absolutely as silly as a blade, but to younger users, maybe it's an welcome call-out to analog: Celluloid film, vinyl records, tube amps ... neat!

Doug D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]