FORUMS: list search recent posts

News from Apple at a meeting with "professionals" in London

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
News from Apple at a meeting with "professionals" in London
on Jul 7, 2011 at 2:08:28 am

1. FCP XML in/out is coming via 3rd party soon…no FCP 6/7 support project support coming ever it seems…

2. Ability to buy FCP7 licenses for enterprise deployments coming in the next few weeks…

3. FCPX EDL import/export coming soon…

4. FCPX AJA plugins coming soon for tape capture and layback…capture straight into FCPX bins.

5. XSAN support for FCPX coming in the next few weeks…

6. FCPX Broadcast video output via #Blackmagic & @AJAVideo coming soon…

7. Additional codec support for FCPX via 3rd Parties coming soon…

8. Customizable sequence TC in FCPX for master exports coming soon…

9. Some FCPX updates will be free some will cost…

_____

I'm going to check other sources. There's certainly good and bad in there but a least it's more info.

Yes btw that is FCP7 . . . available again for enterprise only.

update in "a few weeks"

Repeating no FCP legacy import into FCPX may be all the confirmation some people need to move on though inspire of some of the other points. Some of which are part of the FAQ Apple already posted.

Source
http://alex4d.wordpress.com/2011/07/06/notes-from-apples-london-pro-briefin...

Peter Wiggins of Idustrial Revolution. was there too. I'm not going to link to the site that hosts his blog because I think it competes with the COW in some respects but I'll include some of his comments just so you know it's source from him.

________

He adds some details:
Apple working on announcement of allowing existing volume licence holders to buy more seats. The problem is a legal one with licences.

Multicam will be a free upgrade

Compressor works in 64 bit but throttles down to 32 bit when using 32bit only codecs

A few DAM companies have been working closely with Apple and FCPX - Expect a range of asset management solutions from very cheap to expensive soon.

Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter means cheap shared storage/Xsan possible and not denied. - Xsan is in Lion.

Thunderbolt to fibre channel adaptor means laptop working on shared storage possible.

Return to posts index

Sam Krauser
Re: News from Apple at a meeting with "professionals" in London
on Jul 7, 2011 at 3:02:09 am

Just to let you know...Someone figured out...maybe a starting point for importing FCP7 files into FCPX...http://vimeo.com/26040749#comments

As you can see there are problems...But as he says...Maybe some smart cookie will run with the idea and give us all a bit of joy.

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Jul 7, 2011 at 3:02:06 am

Thanks for the update! FINALLY, a few answers.

[Craig Seeman] "2. Ability to buy FCP7 licenses for enterprise deployments coming in the next few weeks…"

So what EXACTLY will this mean? It sounds a little ambiguous.

Dave J

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 7, 2011 at 3:10:39 am

Peter Wiggins explains that additional FCP7 seats for existing volume license holders only. Basically it's a bow to facilities. It's not going to become available for others though. It seems the decision has legal implications but Peter doesn't explain. My own interpretation is that my believe that there were license or contractual obligation Apple want an expeditious exit from, might have been close.

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Jul 7, 2011 at 9:07:16 am

I expect to to see the numbers up on the P2P "steal an app" pages

They never learn

B

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 7, 2011 at 3:06:36 am

blam

*edit

Hope some of this is true.

Color being EOLd is a huge bummer.

Psyched about some things though.

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Jul 7, 2011 at 6:56:51 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Color being EOLd is a huge bummer"

Hi Jeremy

It is still...
I'm just finishing the last advanced color course I'll give in a film school I teach at.
We went in depth for weeks, then I had to tell the class that it's EOLd.

RIP color

But at least with EDL/XML we can all shift quietly to Da-Vinci :)

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

Thomas Gage
on Jul 7, 2011 at 3:06:40 am

Thanks for the info, Craig! I'm excited for these updates to happen. I'm assuming the 3rd party additions will cost money, but how about features Apple is adding itself? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Thomas Gage
Post, Camera and Tech Services
http://thomasgage.com
tgage23@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 7, 2011 at 4:37:28 am

I believe somewhere in there it was said Multicam would be free but it's possible some would be paid.
Given the App Store upgrade policy (the lack thereof), it may be some of the addition features are plugins otherwise there's going to be another upheaval if it's going to be another $299 purchase.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 7, 2011 at 4:44:22 am

[Craig Seeman] "I believe somewhere in there it was said Multicam would be free but it's possible some would be paid.
Given the App Store upgrade policy (the lack thereof), it may be some of the addition features are plugins otherwise there's going to be another upheaval if it's going to be another $299 purchase."

Well, the App Store is Apple's. If they want to offer upgrade pricing, they'll add upgrading pricing support to the App Store.

But it also seems inevitable that the Mac App Store will get in-app purchasing features similar to the iOS App Store -- that could be a really interesting way for Apple to offer high-end/specialty functionality in FCP X.

Note that if it's true that multicam will be free, that implies the next major release will be free, because the FAQ says multicam isn't coming until the next major release. This wouldn't be too surprising -- Apple gave away the first major update after Mac OS X 10.0 as well. They don't like to punish users for the fact that they ship software aggressively early.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bernstein
on Jul 7, 2011 at 6:13:50 am

"They don't like to punish users for the fact that they ship software aggressively early."

Laughable. If this were true then Apple would ship a stable OS along with the current OS with their computers. To clarify, when Snow Leopard Server came out, it was extremely buggy and didn't stabilize until 10.6.5, and even then it wasn't ready for primetime. They could have bundled in Leopard. In the past , the server team ensured that technical reality was more important than shipping the latest release for stability is more important than features.

Shipping OS 10.6.8 with printing issues, a problem that has popped up twice in the 10.6.x releases, and a bug that brings Xserves to its knees, are just more examples of Apple not doing their best.

Return to posts index

John-Michael Seng-Wheeler
on Jul 7, 2011 at 5:15:18 am

[Craig Seeman] "Compressor works in 64 bit but throttles down to 32 bit when using 32bit only codecs"

That's not what the system requirements would imply.

According to the system requirements listed in the App Store, Compressor doesn't require a 64bit processor to run. 64bit apps spin off 32bit threads all the time, but I've never heard of it going the other way around.

Anyone know anything more about this?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 7, 2011 at 5:28:01 am

Compressor doesn't show as 64 bit under Kind in in Activity Monitor. Looks 32 bit. This is with no jobs encoding so no reason to "throttle."

I'd think Peter Wiggins is enough of a geek that he'd question that. I'm wondering why he didn't or maybe his description implies something else. Codec handling may not be dependent on what the app is running in (not that I know this for sure) but Compressor itself looks 32 bit. There is a CompressorJobController that shows as 64 bit but I see that with Compressor 3.5.3 as well. Compressord(s) look to be 32 bit as well.

Return to posts index

Jeff Bernstein
on Jul 7, 2011 at 6:22:14 am

I will assume that Apple is only allowing the extension of FCP7 for existing Volume License holders because it assumes they already have the Volume License installer. As such, Apple would not need to generate new media or new software keys. As such, this requires the least amount of work from Apple's perspective and continues to keep resellers out of the loop.

IMHO, this does not go far enough. Apple needs to allow all sales, new and upgrades to continue.

Also keep in mind that Apple did not allow upgrades to Volume Licenses unless one was on a Software Assurance plan. Otherwise, Volume Licenses were only available for those who purchased at least 10 seats.

Weak.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 7, 2011 at 6:41:22 am

I wonder what the "legal" issue regarding volume licenses that Peter Wiggins refers to.

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Jul 7, 2011 at 10:21:09 am

"Legal" issues meaning it's less expensive to acquiesce and offer more licenses to facilities that have made huge investments in FCP workflow than to pay lawyers to defend against suits from these companies.

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jul 7, 2011 at 11:08:44 am

If they admit that, they would still be open to a class action lawsuit from people like me with 2-9 licenses. I hope this is not the end of the FCP7 withdrawal issues. - this is the single biggest threat to my business at the moment. Small companies should be extended the same courtesy as volume users.

It would be simple enough to allow an additional installation of FCP7 on any system running a legal copy of X. Surely this cannot do any harm to what is otherwise zero sales - if you've EOL'd it, sell a few more copies of X to people needing more seats of 7, make a few bucks, and improve take up of FCPX in the kind of places where it might actually be used in 12 months. They don't even have to support 7 to any greater extent - they said it will continue to work on Lion.

Wishful thinking - but...

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]