FORUMS: list search recent posts

Surface

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Surface
on Feb 25, 2017 at 12:41:39 am

I only post this here, because the Microsoft Surface Studio has come up a few times. Plus the discussions of a touch screen versus the Touch Bar.

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/review-microsoft-surface-studio/

At about 3:44 you can see the operator working with Premiere Pro. The pen seems a bit laggy, much like working with a tablet versus a mouse. I'm sure the interaction is dependent on the app, but at least with Premiere, it doesn't seem as responsive as something like the interaction in an iPad and apps designed for it.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Surface
on Feb 25, 2017 at 1:25:47 am

Yep- I've played with a Surface. It's a very intriguing form factor but you get a general feeling of touch/pen interactions being bolted on as an afterthought vs. designed from the ground up.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 28, 2017 at 4:36:23 pm

[Noah Kadner] "I've played with a Surface. It's a very intriguing form factor but you get a general feeling of touch/pen interactions being bolted on as an afterthought vs. designed from the ground up."

I think this depends on the application. For many applications, I'm sure that touch/pen interactions ARE bolted on as an afterthought. Touch and pen support are now core Windows functions; much like Apple's Touch Bar, it's up to the developer to implement, and these are early days.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Feb 25, 2017 at 3:55:46 am

[Oliver Peters] "I'm sure the interaction is dependent on the app, but at least with Premiere, it doesn't seem as responsive as something like the interaction in an iPad and apps designed for it."

I am sure Premiere Pro CC will get refined as well as Audition. CakeWalk is supposed to support touch screen now. Some prefer using touch screen instead of surface control devices because there is no need to setup the function options of the device. Every user can use at is. Don't get me wrong some users will always prefer the hardware devices instead of a touch screen.

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Mar 1, 2017 at 8:53:41 pm

I described some time ago, an Avid video I saw about the editor of feature ("Gravity?"). The editor worked with a 21" or 24" touch screen, and a high-end game controller. I don't recall seeing a mouse and the keyboard was set aside for data entry only.

So if Surface is eventually optimized for that kind of work, it could be fast, effective and a lot of fun.

I have noticed that people work differently according to the way their brains organize and visualize. Some people who have everything they own in clear plastic, labeled bins seem to like a workflow whereby they go to a "Source" in a browser, find and mark material, cut it in ... and keep lots of well-labeled timelines at hand. Keywords in FCPX also works well for this way or organizing.

My wife accuses me of not being able to do anything, unless virtually EVERYTHING is laid out horizontally on every surface, where I can see it. And my FCPX timeline functions like that, as a "workbench" - with cut sequences, clips and audio, compound clips and alt scenes spread around at different parts of the timeline. The magnetic timeline is ideal for this approach, and I toss things around with no fear of error.

Having a large touch-screen on which I could do this even more "manually" would be a thrill!

Doug D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]