FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X - Export selection from timeline sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Lithman
FCP X - Export selection from timeline sequence
on Jul 6, 2011 at 9:57:12 pm

Has anyone figured out how to only export part of a sequence from their timeline in FCPX? In FCP 7 it was just a matter of setting in and out points in the relevant places in the timeline, and then exporting.

Doing the same in FCPX seams to lead to the whole sequence being exported regardless of the In and Out points.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
Re: FCP X - Export selection from timeline sequence
on Jul 6, 2011 at 10:03:24 pm

you have to send the whole seq to compressor 4 and set the in and outs in there.

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index

Ben Lithman
on Jul 6, 2011 at 10:07:25 pm

"you have to send the whole seq to compressor 4 and set the in and outs in there"

That's the only way?! That's so so disappointing...
I have a massively long project and just wanted to send a few seconds to someone to preview. Seams nuts to have to export the whole project first.

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Jul 6, 2011 at 10:09:34 pm

cut and paste the required section/range into a new project (=new sequence), then export from there?

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Jul 6, 2011 at 10:09:45 pm

You Dont have to export the whole Seq, Just Send it into Compressor 4, and select witch part you want Compressor to Export.

I wear many hats.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jul 6, 2011 at 10:15:45 pm

Agreed - this is the same way FCP 7 works except you got to set your in/out on the FCP timeline - the whole project is always there in the preview window and in Compressor - not just the in/out portion.

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index

Dale Robinson
on Jul 6, 2011 at 10:12:12 pm

"I have a massively long project and just wanted to send a few seconds to someone to preview"

Copy & Paste the portion that you want into another sequence. Then export.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 6, 2011 at 10:57:37 pm

Another way would be to select the entire timeline and make into a compound clip. Then trim that. I'd be cautious if it's a huge project with tons of media though- might want to duplicate the project first just in case.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jul 6, 2011 at 11:03:12 pm

[Noah Kadner] "Another way would be to select the entire timeline and make into a compound clip"

or select the section you want to export and compound clip it.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 6, 2011 at 11:58:52 pm

[Noah Kadner] "if it's a huge project with tons of media though- might want to duplicate the project first just in case."

Or go ahead and duplicate the project and chop off what you don't want to export in the duplicated project.

Return to posts index

james carey
on Jul 7, 2011 at 12:03:09 am

Good lord, did you guys just read the advice you have given to what right now is so simple to do in FCP7. Are we to expect work around like this for all such simple tasks?

Jim Carey
Director of Video, Radical Entertainment
linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/jcarey256
mobygames: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,17212/

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Jul 7, 2011 at 12:37:11 am

[james carey] "Good lord, did you guys just read the advice you have given to what right now is so simple to do in FCP7. Are we to expect work around like this for all such simple tasks?"

I know, the program has some neat ideas, but at its core its a joke...

I wear many hats.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 7, 2011 at 1:13:35 am

Didn't say it was the best workflow just one that works with what is there in FCP X right now....

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

james carey
on Jul 7, 2011 at 1:25:14 am

understood, and wasn't criticizing the advice, just the idea it must be given for such a simple tasks. CC is the best place to go for advice, and has saved my ass numerous times.

Jim Carey
Director of Video, Radical Entertainment
linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/jcarey256
mobygames: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,17212/

Return to posts index

Ana Leon
on Aug 2, 2011 at 2:19:52 am

What is CC?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 2, 2011 at 4:26:08 am

CC probably Creative COW. Most of us stick with COW which is one more letter than CC and more easily understood.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 7, 2011 at 1:37:28 am

[Greg Burke] "I know, the program has some neat ideas, but at its core its a joke..."

At its core it's extremely powerful. It's missing some workflow features and some relatively trivial (in terms of implementation) features in the interface.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Ben Lithman
on Jul 7, 2011 at 8:24:10 am

Thank you all for your help. It's very much appreciated!

Such a shame that the product was launched lacking these simple features. It seams counter intuitive to me to launch a piece of software lacking such a simple feature.

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Apr 13, 2012 at 3:12:18 pm

I render the project in the timeline; set the in/out points, "export media" then encode that file in compressor. Although a two step process, encoding this way is 3X faster then "send to compressor". Below is a link that discusses this process:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/9418

macbook pro 17" i7, 8GB RAM
2 RAID 0 esata external HD 7200RPM

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 13, 2012 at 3:20:13 pm

[adam chesbrough] "I render the project in the timeline; set the in/out points, "export media""

You don't need to render the project before you "Export Media", rendering doesn't save you any time on export, it's actually quicker to NOT render it.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Apr 13, 2012 at 3:32:42 pm

I have tested this in the past (and then just now) and rendering prior to "export" saves considerable time. With my workflow I usually create a project and then render so that I can watch in realtime to make sure that everything is all set. When exporting your computer computing is using all of its resources ie you can't work on anything else (at least with the macbook pro); therefore my time is better spent letting it render while I am away, coming back to export, and then encoding overnight (especially if I have multiple projects to encode)....to each his own. That being said, "send to compressor" is not normally a viable option for me (I also like to have the uncompressed, contained, project to use in the future.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 13, 2012 at 3:37:36 pm

[adam chesbrough] "I have tested this in the past (and then just now) and rendering prior to "export" saves considerable time. With my workflow"

It's different on a faster system, "Export Media" without rendering is faster than rendering media first then exporting.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Apr 13, 2012 at 3:41:34 pm

What are the specs of your system? I am in need of a new workstation and am basically waiting to see what mac is going to be doing with their pro lines. From what I understand the underlying structure of FCPX is what really sets it apart. Namely it's ability to utilize video cards as additional processing cores (in addition to using them to their fullest in editing). I am forcing myself to use FCPX even because of the performance promises...

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 13, 2012 at 3:50:33 pm

I've got a 2008 2.8GHZ 8 Core Mac Pro with ATi Radeon 4870, FCPX is very quick on my system, especially after the latest update.

I'm also waiting to see what happens with Apple over the next couple of months.

Steve Connor
"FCPX Professional"
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Phil Hollins
on May 16, 2013 at 10:57:50 am

If anyone's still following this thread the answer to Exporting A Selection From FCPX Timeline is here!
(Probably need the latest version for this - it's not in 10.0.3)

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jul 22, 2013 at 6:37:19 am

This thread is 2 years old. I wonder if there is an easier way by now? Following situation in FCP7: I set an in and out point in TL to export one single clip to render some effect or stabilisation out, e.g. For prepping for resolve or Color, then re import and exchange with old version. Fcp7 was easy to do so. Is there by now an equal easy way in X?
Thanx.

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jul 22, 2013 at 6:54:37 am

Basically the same thing in FCPX. Hit I and O to set in and out points or use the Range Selection Tool (R) and drag to select, even across multiple clips or click once to select one entire clip (all layers will be included within the selection range). Export. Import the resulting clip and replace it on the timeline.

Clicking the Share button, you can confirm that just the range is being exported by looking at the top of the popup window. It will say "Share timeline range" (or something like that). Using the keyboard shortcut to export, you can tell by the range tool icon next to the duration of the clip to be exported, in the export window.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jul 22, 2013 at 7:26:33 am

Great, David. Thanx. So why they wrote in this post that it wasn't an option back than? Did it not exist in the early version of FCPX?

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jul 22, 2013 at 7:27:09 am

Correct

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Jul 22, 2013 at 4:01:20 pm

Use the range tool ("R") to select a specific section and then "export" as ProRes, go ahead and make your changes and then either reimport or reconnect

Macbook Pro Retina: 2.6GHZ i7, 16GB RAM 1600MHz DDR3, GT 650M 1GB RAM

Hackintosh (Sandy Bridge): i5 2500, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3, Nvidia GT640 2GB RAM

OWC 4TB RAID0 (using esata)
Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 (6Gb/s)
Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adapter

Return to posts index

Michael Bristow
on Feb 18, 2014 at 6:10:13 am

Joined CC just to provide how I do it. (great site btw that I've used for years)
Make selection from the main timeline window and right click >"New Compound Clip" (opt +G)
Name the compound clip and hit OK. You will find the compound clip now in your Top section > Event library > All Clips
Double click the compound clip you made and then you will find it in it's own subtimeline, which you can now export (Share) as per usual.
Took me a while to figure this simple trick out but beats exporting through Compressor /set in and out after.
* To return to your main timeline with your overall composition, use the left arrow in the middle bar, far left

Return to posts index

Joady Weatherup
on Nov 13, 2014 at 6:30:57 pm

... and I just joined to like your post! Thanks!

This difference between 7 and X - I chalk up to the difference in price. It's a long list.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]