FORUMS: list search recent posts

Night Shift mode

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Night Shift mode
on Jan 27, 2017 at 10:00:59 pm

I wonder how many dummies are going to color correct, not realizing this is on. ☺

http://www.macrumors.com/2017/01/26/apple-seeds-macos-sierra-10-12-4-public...

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Night Shift mode
on Jan 28, 2017 at 3:19:19 am

No question this will result in content lord grade screw ups for the uninformed.

That said I have the color shift set on my Phone my iPad and the current bedside lamp my wife picked up for me at Costco during a minor bedroom re-model - does the same nighttime color shift.

I've found it makes a major difference to my sleep patterns when I'm not bathed in daylight spectrum when web browsing or reading late into the night.

Certainly NOT for doing any color judging. But a very welcome adaptation of practical modern scientific research overall.

My 2 cents.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 28, 2017 at 1:21:55 pm

[Bill Davis] "I've found it makes a major difference to my sleep patterns when I'm not bathed in daylight spectrum when web browsing or reading late into the night."

Or you could just go to bed ☺

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 28, 2017 at 2:32:32 pm

[Bill Davis] "I've found it makes a major difference to my sleep patterns when I'm not bathed in daylight spectrum when web browsing or reading late into the night."

Of course that's never actually been proven in any studies. But hey, people take homeopathic remedies, too, and could actually swear it works. Go figger. 😉

- RK

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 28, 2017 at 5:39:57 pm

I've spent literally decades looking at the many qualities of light.

There's no research needed to FEEL the difference that happens when I switch my bedside light from cold to warm on the glide slope into night - anymore than someone can tell me that changing the color balance on a photograph or shot doesn't effect the way I emotionally perceive the scene.

Color grading EXISTS for a reason, after all.

My 2 cents.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 28, 2017 at 5:47:01 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Jan 28, 2017 at 5:47:38 pm

[Bill Davis] "There's no research needed to FEEL the difference"

As with homeopathy. 😉

I never claimed you didn't FEEL a difference. If you do, great! At least, in that case, there's no harm in it. Just pointing out the facts.

- RK

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 28, 2017 at 7:44:12 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "As with homeopathy. 😉"

That you somehow equate the color temperature of light which is an observable difference to nearly anyone's naked eye - with quackery related to diluting active agents into parts per million and selling that as an effective agent - then sure.

But I still think theres' a vast difference.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 28, 2017 at 7:56:04 pm

[Bill Davis] "somehow equate the color temperature of light which is an observable difference to nearly anyone's naked eye"

😄… huh? I was talking about the EFFECT, or supposed effect. Not any color… light… naked… what? Familiar with the placebo effect? Then there you go.

Or to maybe rehash the connection: there are zero studies, scientific or otherwise, that point to the effectiveness of either. Not more, not less. If you FEEL there is for you, enjoy! You could be doing worse to yourself.

- RK

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 28, 2017 at 8:33:34 pm

Another good reason to have an IO device and external monitor...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Jan 29, 2017 at 7:09:33 am

[Robin S. Kurz] " was talking about the EFFECT, or supposed effect. Not any color… light… naked… what? Familiar with the placebo effect? Then there you go.

Or to maybe rehash the connection: there are zero studies, scientific or otherwise, that point to the effectiveness of either."

Well, except for scientific studies by those hacks at Harvard University: http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/blue-light-has-a-dark-side ☺ And there are a good number of other scientific studies that show the effect of blue light at night... if you want to Google them.

I was feeling discomfort working at night (headaches, eye strain, and other fatigue related symptoms), and the instant I installed f.lux the discomfort went away. So I am a solid supporter of the science behind what Night Shift is trying to accomplish.

Homeopathy on the other hand as far as I can tell is a placebo if it works at all.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Jan 29, 2017 at 7:20:52 am

This is pretty interesting (prior to getting into video production I studied Biology and specifically Neuroscience in college and then did Neurophysiological research studying the visual and auditory pathways to the brain looking for neuroplasticity and neuroregeneration in CNS neurons):

"There’s a third kind of sensor in our eyes, officially discovered in 2002. Called intrinsically photosensitive retinal ganglion cells, or ipRGCs, these relatively crude sensors are unable to pick up on low levels of light — from a dim night light, for example — but sluggishly signal light changes.

They are the body’s way of sending ambient light information to the master circadian clock, a huddle of nerve cells in the brain. This clock makes the pineal gland start and stop the secretion of melatonin. The ipRGCs are most sensitive to blue light — that’s why blue light is bad for your sleep.

To counteract the effects of tablets’ blue light, Figueiro and Lockley recommend a free app, F.lux, that automatically warms up the colors on your various screens — more reds and yellows — at sunset and returns them to normal at sunrise.

“The amount of light you need [in order] to see is lower than the amount of light you need to affect your melatonin,” Figueiro said, which means that light-emitting screens can be used at night without disrupting sleep cycles if you put some distance between your eyes and the device...."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/blue-light-from-elec...

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 29, 2017 at 8:26:36 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Jan 29, 2017 at 9:20:46 am

[James Culbertson] "I studied Biology and specifically Neuroscience in college and then did Neurophysiological research studying the visual and auditory pathways to the brain looking for neuroplasticity and neuroregeneration in CNS neurons"

Uuuuh… what he said... 😳

So essentially what you're/he's saying, is that the color of light you are exposed to whilst asleep can make a difference in your sleep pattern (which I'm sure it does, no matter the color), but has nothing to do with the type of light you are exposed to prior to going to sleep, right?

- RK

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Jan 29, 2017 at 8:53:38 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "So essentially what you're/he's saying, is that the color of light you are exposed to whilst asleep can make a difference in your sleep pattern (which I'm sure it does, no matter the color), but has nothing to do with the type of light you are exposed to prior to going to sleep, right?"

If your eyes are open you are being affected by this phenomena (asleep or awake); since most of us sleep with our eyes closed I would assume that there would be less effect at that time.

Whether one is asleep or awake does not change sensory receptor function to my knowledge. That happens at higher levels of the brain, though there is no reason that your sensory neo-cortex isn't still receiving sensory information even though your consciousness has receded in sleep.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 29, 2017 at 9:48:19 am

Once again, I wasn't notified of this, but only the next response. Really annoying. So in out-of-order response…

[James Culbertson] "I was feeling discomfort working at night (headaches, eye strain, and other fatigue related symptoms), and the instant I installed f.lux the discomfort went away."

Oh, that I don't doubt for a second. The type of light you live/work in, be it day OR night, will most definitely make a difference… in your wake state. But that wasn't the point I was disputing. 😉

[James Culbertson] "So I am a solid supporter of the science behind what Night Shift is trying to accomplish."

The only thing being, that there is no conclusive science behind the whole notion. Yet? Only extremely little research has been done to date. At least I've only been able to find studies with very small numbers of subjects that merely say it MAY affect one's sleep. Unless you know of others? I'd be interested. And never mind that what it is you see (fast paced, aggressive video/game? An email with bad news?) will affect your subsequent sleep exponentially more.

But either way, like I said, if it's a feature one FEELS is of benefit to oneself, whether proven or not, then all the power to ya! Not something (in this case) that affects me personally or others in any way, so I couldn't care less one way or the other in the end. ☺

Bottom line: looking at your phone at night is a terrible idea no matter what IMO. For the same reasons I don't have a TV in my bedroom either, and never will.

[James Culbertson] "Homeopathy on the other hand as far as I can tell is a placebo if it works at all."

The only double-blind studies that I know of (I've had to deal with the topic a lot that last few years) prove nothing beyond the classic placebo effect at work, yes. And I for one have absolutely no clue how anyone can even actually believe that eating sugar-balls that don't even contain so much as A SINGLE ATOM of an active agent can somehow be beneficial… but that's a different thread for a different forum. 😜

- RK

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 29, 2017 at 11:03:51 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Jan 29, 2017 at 11:10:31 am

[Oliver Peters] "not realizing this is on."

But having looked at it, it's something you switch on manually, no? Not automatic as with iOS, or am I missing some setting somewhere?

- RK

EDIT: Ah, never mind. Had only seen the switch in the notifications tab. There's scheduling in the display settings.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]