FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing resolution?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Tosh
Changing resolution?
on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:28:52 pm

I have been looking through the FCPX manual and don't see how to change to resolutions other than what is provided in the project properties window. I am trying to work on a video that is 1024x768. How can I get my project set to that resolution? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
Re: Changing resolution?
on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:54:16 pm

Oliver

When you make a new project, FCP X gives you an option to choose the project settings, either presets or custom. However keep in mind, in FCP X each project is merely a timeline and it stays independent of your event browser. So your event & project may have different settings.

Sohrab

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jul 6, 2011 at 8:31:20 pm

You can only change your project properties to specific industry formats, and that isn't one of them. It's non-standard square pixel PAL. You probably want 720x576 anamorphic. That's the closest that will work, sort of, with what you want to do.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Coming in 2011 "Complete Training for FCPX"
and "Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 6, 2011 at 8:42:04 pm

[Oliver Tosh] "I am trying to work on a video that is 1024x768."

That is a really unusual frame size - are you sure it's what you want? 1024x576 is common for 16:9 square pixel PAL, or 1050x576 if you are Adobe or the BBC (don't ask!). Your frame size is a 4:3 ratio - is that what you mean?

If so, you are best off editing in a 1920x1080 project (pillar-boxing your source material), and exporting a Movie that you can then run through Compressor to get your final frame size, cropping as appropriate. Anything else and you will be losing resolution in the edit which you obviously want to avoid.

I should add that most NLE's struggle in one way or another with non-standard frame sizes ... not just FCPX.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Tosh
on Jul 7, 2011 at 2:25:46 am

Yes I realize it is an unusual ratio for video but that is what my client wants. I have been doing a series of videos for them in this resolution in the previous version of FCP. I could easily type in 1024x768 in the sequence settings there.

I wanted to attempt starting to work with FCPX for these projects but it now looks like it would be easier to just to stick with the old version if I can't easily get to 1024x768.

Return to posts index

Ernest Ratliff
on Jul 7, 2011 at 1:36:41 pm

1024 x 768 seems odd to video people, but it's a pretty standard resolution for laptops and business projectors, if he's working for a corporate client who wants full screen video it makes sense.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 7, 2011 at 1:40:06 pm

[Ernest Ratliff] "1024 x 768 seems odd to video people, but it's a pretty standard resolution for laptops and business projectors, if he's working for a corporate client who wants full screen video it makes sense."

Thanks for clarifying - I'll add that to my ever-growing list of frame sizes to memorize :-)

Someone asked for 960x400 this morning ... it too made perfect sense when you knew what it was for.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Ernest Ratliff
on Jul 7, 2011 at 2:02:09 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XGA#XGA_.281024.C3.97768.29

This covers pretty much all the computer display resolutions. I've run into at least 6 of them on various business laptops when working with corporate clients. Trying to explain resolution to executives who want to know why their 1080p .mov from the ad agency does't look the same when they push it through an XGA projector is, lets just call it interesting.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 7, 2011 at 2:05:43 pm

[Ernest Ratliff] "This covers pretty much all the computer display resolutions."

A really handy link - I've bookmarked that. Thanks.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jul 7, 2011 at 1:58:01 pm

That's the delivery size, that's not the production size. Video standards are standards. Those are the ones FCPX is designed to work it. It's not a resolution independent application. You need FCP7 or earlier for that.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Coming in 2011 "Complete Training for FCPX"
and "Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press

Return to posts index

David Burch
on Feb 17, 2012 at 7:24:40 pm

I would highly recommend editing in a standard video size, and then re-sizing your final product when you're done to your client's specifications. You could shoot 720p and upscale slightly, or shoot in 1080 and downscale (probably the better option).

The reason FCPX only edits in standard sizes is because those are really the only sizes cameras shoot in. The only time video should ever be in a non-standard size is for content delivery, either for web distribution or for mobile devices. Delivery formats should be avoided like the plague when editing; always edit from source material if at all possible. This goes for DVD, web video, and even Blu Ray. If you have no choice (if you don't have the source material to work with, for instance), then your best option is to first convert the video to a standard, edit-ready format like ProRes 422 before editing. Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Terry Burger
on Feb 27, 2012 at 10:10:33 pm

Our church has a video wall that's 3840x800.

When we create presentations and videos, we use all of that screen real estate. It's a shame FCPX doesn't allow me to set up custom sizes as I really prefer editing with it.

We downloaded FCPX only to find out this kind of independence no longer exists. Not sure what the workaround is.

Return to posts index

Ryan Kramer
on Apr 20, 2012 at 4:59:12 pm

I'm in the same boat. We do screen captures off of client's computers when they do presentations and then deliver them using a Brightcove media player. In this case "industry standards" do NOT apply. Why upscale or downscale or crop on export when there should be no need to deal with the hassle in the first place?

Add this to the list of items I hope they address in the future.

Return to posts index

Braden Storrs
on Aug 13, 2012 at 9:38:57 pm

Here's how to do it: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/payton_t/FCPX_Custom-Resolution-Tim... Any resolution you want you can make it! Enjoy!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]