FORUMS: list search recent posts

Did anyone notice this yet? - music licensing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
Did anyone notice this yet? - music licensing
on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:22:21 pm

I haven't noticed this in any posts yet, but this came to me today.

If my "music library" defaults to my itunes playlists...this means that I can produce all my videos with all the songs I've downloaded from iTunes? Right?

Is apple really advocating for using licensed music illegally and without paying proper royalties? How many people have their royalty free libraries loaded up into iTunes?

Am I off target? Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Geoff Dills
Re: Did anyone notice this yet? - music licensing
on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:30:34 pm

Way off. Just cause they're in iTunes gives you no additional rights to anything. Simple.

Best,
Geoff

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:36:05 pm

Does buying a steak knife give you carte blanche to slice anything you want- including say your next door neighbor? Nope... Apple is just pointing to iTunes. The content that's in there and its licensing status are entirely your responsibility.

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jul 6, 2011 at 8:47:44 pm

You guys are missing the sarcasm...obviously it doesn't give u any additional rights. My question was how many of us have our royalty free libraries in iTunes? Nobody I know...what DO I have in iTunes? Only music that can't be used in video productions.

Apple seems to be making it easier and the path to piracy simpler for people who they seem to marketing this software to -- prosumers. Probably a market who is less aware of the needs to license the music they want to use.

Return to posts index

Douglas Morse
on Jul 6, 2011 at 10:20:57 pm

Actually, my music library is one of the first places I turn for both scratch track and music I would think about licensing. Most of the time, if I want a track, securing the rights for a modest fee is fairly easy.

I even licensed a Finger 11 song for a very modest amount. Their management was great about it.

Return to posts index

Rob McGreevy
on Jul 7, 2011 at 5:52:49 pm

We've had all our music libraries in a shared iTunes system on our network for years as well. It makes finding a cut a snap, much easier than having to listen to all those CD's we used to use a number of years back. Although now that our music library provider no longer distributes by CD and everything is online we use it less, but it is nice to know we have a decent selection of tunes available as a back up if the internet is down.

Return to posts index

Douglas Morse
on Jul 6, 2011 at 8:46:24 pm

You can put anything you want in your timeline. If you try to distribute it with images or music that are not of your creation, then you need to license them.

Owning a DVD does not mean you own the movie. It just means you have the right to watch it. Not charge admission for anyone to see it.

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Jul 6, 2011 at 9:59:03 pm

I have extensive "royalty free libraries" of music and sfx.

I have been keeping them in Itunes for years now. It is really easy to categorize and add notes like what clients use, with ratings. This is metadata.

So integration with Itunes is great. Once we can access the metadata ratings etc like the event manager it will be fantastic.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Jul 7, 2011 at 4:09:20 pm

What are you talking about? All that licensed music will go GREAT on my next vacation video!

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Paul Anthony
on Jul 11, 2011 at 1:10:18 am

This happens a lot. There are a ton of applications out there that have a "select music" feature that lead you to a personal music collection. This of course does not provide you any vehichle to license those songs for your particular use. I saw this post and had to respond because my company exists to address this specific issue, simplifying access for anyone online to easy and affordable music licensing ( which is quite the challenge btw!)

I'm the Founder and CEO of a music licensing company called Rumblefish. We've been licensing music into ads, films, tv shows and video games for almost 15 years and over the past 4 have been developing tools for music licensing for online and social media uses. Our most popular is Friendly Music that we launched in partnership with YouTube where you can license a song for non-commercial use for an online video for $1.99 per song per video. Here's a link:

http://www.FriendlyMusic.com

We're about to launch two pro licenses on Friendly Music for small business that are $25 and $125. Large companies doing major campaigns can't use those pro licenses, their are more expensive, but most small businesses will qualify and we've received a significant amount of demand for cheap commercial licenses like that.

So far things are going pretty well, we have over 4 million videos online using Rumblefish songs as their soundtracks. I'd be curious what those on the list think both about our Friendly Music service and the practice of editing applications lack of outlets or features to music licensing resources.

I'd be happy to answer any licensing questions anyone on this thread has. It can get pretty confusing but the general rule is, if you haven't contacted the owners of the composition and the master recording (usually two separate groups) and secured a license from both, then you aren almost certainly not "licensed" because you bought or obtained the music in some other fashion.

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]