FORUMS: list search recent posts

A paen to FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Herb Sevush
A paen to FCPX
on Jan 13, 2017 at 2:52:16 pm

http://www.redsharknews.com/post/item/4287-why-fcpx-10-3-is-the-nle-of-the-...

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
Re: A paen to FCPX
on Jan 13, 2017 at 10:31:31 pm

"It’s become clear that FCPX was for editors who didn’t have any perceived notions on how to piece together a project and ultimately, editors who have been in the game for a long time this was too much of a jump."

I have been saying this from the beginning...because Apple can. Thanks for sharing, Herb.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Jan 13, 2017 at 10:51:28 pm

If Apple had produced this video (instead of an editor fan) it may have generated many more pro converts...first time i've seen that maybe there's something to like in working in X (i long ago switched to Premiere..but this video certainly offered a reason to give X a second look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRbJH-GDumg&feature=youtu.be

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Ron Hurtibise
on Jan 13, 2017 at 11:28:41 pm

Love this, from the comments after the article:

"there is a lot of good and a lot of honest to god effort on Apple's part these last five years but - and I think most of what was wrong has been addressed - but: the keyframing system is still a garbage fire. If you work in short form and you work regularly with little push pulls and type animations, FPCX is an unusable nightmare with the insane keyframing apparatus that appears like a leaning tower of piza over every clip you want to work with. If you make little keyframe moves all the time, the idea of doing that inside X is akin to wearing big rubbery gloves put on backwards. it's just not a goer."

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 15, 2017 at 3:35:48 am

Oh poppycock. Again, somebody who doesn't use the software moaning about something they don't understand.

There are THREE systems for doing keyframing in X.

You can use the keyframe system at the CLIP LEVEL if you want to set or adjust clip parameters.
You can go to the Inspector and set numeric values for moves in the Inspector (which is what I do 95% of the time as I like numerical precision over "eyeballing" things.
BUT if you're all about eyeballing stuff
And you can go "full automatic" and invoke position adjustment in Viewer by simply invoking the visual transform controls - which let you dragging the elements around to set position offsets.

Is it PERFECT? Heck no.

Is it perfectly useful for those who understand how it works such that can we get our work done with little fuss?
HECK YES.
Once again, everyone upset because X didn't work they way their old NLE USED to operate and so they need to learn new techniques.

Again, it's not perfect. But it's PERFECTLY functional and if you don't want the efficiencies of Keywords, Magnetism, and the hundreds and hundreds of efficiencies that the X team have built into the software in order to preserve access to a more traditional keyframing system that you've known how to use for 25 years you have the option to do that.

This "oh it's just so DIFFICULT to operate X because its NOT WHAT I'M USED TO" is kinda tiresome.

(Aaaahhhh - (stretching languidly) I haven't had a nice rant in months and months! - Thanks Herb for the OP!)

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jan 13, 2017 at 11:28:43 pm

Adobe across premiere, after effects, photoshop, audition and illustrator still beats that release to a pulp.
It's a lot less expensive, but it still beats it to death. And the expense is seriously relative.

Random rare interjection, and I loved that 10.3 demo video, but past a certain point - who cares?
Apple could make their upgraded editing system presentation levitate and I'm still not sure why I'd care?
Aren't they still just doing weird hand stands off in the corner? Who cares?

Also their keyframing apparatus is still a garbage fire. You need to put on hazmat gloves. I did check that bit.

http://ogallchoir.prosite.com/
producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 13, 2017 at 11:37:13 pm

Aindreas,

Welcome back !

Just in time; things have been too sane for too long.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jan 14, 2017 at 12:13:49 am

nope still out like Bieberkopf Herb. Just read that thing? It's just mad that Apple are pushing boats out everywhere.

They're doing touch bars for function keys and 3D touch paradigms for the phone that aren't happening and really specific weird lane role something connection magnetic things with editing I haven't kept track of. It seems like apple are somehow talking to themselves lately?
I'm still pretty sure they're not frozen in place navel gazing tho.

http://ogallchoir.prosite.com/
producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jan 14, 2017 at 2:48:57 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Also their keyframing apparatus is still a garbage fire. You need to put on hazmat gloves. I did check that bit."

You're desperately clinging onto that last thread. What will you do if Apple fixes that? :)

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 15, 2017 at 3:48:34 am

[Brett Sherman] "You're desperately clinging onto that last thread. What will you do if Apple fixes that? :)"

Brett - you need to read Aindreas more carefully.

He pulled out more than one slam for the "Tool that he MUST NOT UNDERSTAND" because he's been wearing the same blinders for going on 6 years now and the light or reality would surely fry his optical nerves.

In that post he trashed the hardware, the software AND the entire Apple brand. Proving beyond doubt that he's what he's always been... a VINTAGE EDITOR to the core!

He's still betting that his opinion will somehow stop Apple from continuing to be what it's always been. The company that pioneers the stuff that his beloved software gets a few YEARS later.

Heck, proxy sweetness ... then "hover scrub"?? Watch for that sharp new sidecar program introducing......... "keyworded subclips!!! It won't quite work the same - but their users will be all giddy at their hot new effort saving capabilities - fur sure!

(Sorry, I just can't stop - It feels like it's 2014 all over again - and I feel oddly younger while writing like this!) ; )

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]