FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does anyone use AJA, BlackMagic Design or Matrox products?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andy patterson
Does anyone use AJA, BlackMagic Design or Matrox products?
on Jan 8, 2017 at 11:00:48 pm

I was just wondering if anyone else uses 3rd party hardware from AJA, Matrox or Blackmagic Design? If so what products do you use? Do the products work well with your software of choice? What are the pros and cons? Was it worth the money you spent on it? Would you recommend it to others? Having said that I like my Intensity Shuttle but I am sure AJA and Matrox have some good products as well.

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
Re: Does anyone use AJA, BlackMagic Design or Matrox products?
on Jan 8, 2017 at 11:50:01 pm

Hey Andy,
I'm currently using a BlackMagic Ultrastudio express. Use it with both FCP X and PrPro CC2017. Am using a two year old driver for it though as BM's latest drivers didn't work as well. I've used a AJA IO HD and Matrox MXO2 ages ago. AJA are pretty good in releasing stable drivers. But generally more expensive than BM. Matrox comes somewhere in between. I've had my worst experience with Matrox. I switched to BM for two reasons. That's the only option if you're going to use Resolve. And secondly, the cost.

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jan 9, 2017 at 12:32:14 am

Thanks for the info. I agree drivers from Blackmagic Design can be buggy at times. Having said that I thought the Intensity Shuttle for $180.00 was a good deal. I bought it because Interlaced video looks so much better using 3rd party hardware. Especially when editing VHS tapes, HI-8 tapes or even Mini DV-25 tapes for clients. I use the Intensity Shuttle to playback in real-time to my old SD (CRT) monitor. It was worth every penny to me. Why did you get your 3rd party hardware? Just curious? Do you loose any real-time performance using 3rd party hardware with FCPX?

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Jan 9, 2017 at 4:22:15 pm

I've been using AJA forever. They have the best tech support and customer service I've ever seen. The only downside is it doesn't work with Davinci Resolve. If you don't need or use Resolve, I'd go with AJA over Blackmagic as they make a superior capture card and have support you can always reach by phone.

BM is cheaper but you do get what you pay for in hardware-- if it breaks, they will expect you to buy a new one.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jan 9, 2017 at 7:41:57 pm

Thanks for the info. With the AJA do you notice any real-time performance gains or losses with your software of choice? Why do you use it? Just curious. Premiere Pro always seems to playback better on 3rd party hardware than on the computer screen.

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Jan 9, 2017 at 7:48:34 pm

AJA Kona 4 which I use, does not accelerate the software. I use it to monitor broadcast accurate output as well as the occasion need to digitize from tape media.

The output to my HD broadcast monitor is real time with no lag.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Jan 10, 2017 at 9:14:30 am

Thanks for the response.

It would seem as though not many people use 3rd party hardware for true broadcast quality compliant monitoring and playback. I mainly use the Intensity Shuttle because I hate seeing interlaced video playing back on the computer screen.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]