FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: Kodak Super 8 Camera

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
OT: Kodak Super 8 Camera
on Jan 6, 2017 at 11:01:14 pm

Was on Facebook today and the camera is scheduled to be available for purchase this spring (actual date is unknown).
While the camera looks impressive the cost is a bit much. We are talking $2,000 in U.S. currency. Thought this might be of interest but Tim has my permission to delete this post if he deems it necessary.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: OT: Kodak Super 8 Camera
on Jan 7, 2017 at 12:55:13 am

I thought that was a tad hight for a film camera now. But the demand is low for it, so you can't sell lots of units, thus why it's pricy. Like Sapphire plugins...the user base is low, so the price is high.

And then you need to add in the cost of film, processing and telecine... And have a lot of recent camera people wondering why they can't see the footage that night on their hard drive....

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 7, 2017 at 1:36:14 am

And your iPhone or a $399 GoPro shoots circles around it...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jan 7, 2017 at 1:08:09 pm

Small format film definitely has a look which lends itself to certain things, however its hard for small format film to do anything outside that look, which I find quite limiting. Add to that the fact that the look of the film is highly dependent on the scanner used to convert the film image to digital . I've seen some remarkable S8 images transferred by Kinetta scanner, but those are not in abundance so you can't count on getting that quality. I like film and I think the bigger the negative area, the better film gets. S8 is at the bottom of the ladder- sort of similar to 1/3" sensors on video cameras, and when you take in the elevated cost and hassle of shooting, processing and transferring film, unless it serves a very specific purpose, I have to ask why bother?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 7, 2017 at 5:59:19 pm

Especially when the same money buys you a Panasonic GH5 and access to a massive variety of way better optics...

Don't get me wrong- I shot a ton of Super 8 back in the day when it was a cheaper alternative to 16mm and looked much more cinematic than VHS. Those days are gone now that 4K+/24p and highly accessible digital grading are ubiquitous. Other than as a curio gift and an expensive one at that I see them selling very few of these.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Jan 8, 2017 at 12:24:41 am

On Ebay, I've been selling old film that my dad had bought in the `60's, `70's and `80's. 28 rolls of Kodachrome, Ektachrome and Tri-X went for $67.00.

http://scottgfx.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 8, 2017 at 1:35:39 am
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Jan 8, 2017 at 1:36:07 am

You know Super 8 film expires after a few years right?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Jan 8, 2017 at 7:43:41 am

Oh yes, I know, but there are a lot of people buying old film. In some cases they want the artifacts and degradation. I was completely upfront about the age and the customers were happy. The Tri-X would probably actually still make a picture. I'm not sure about the color stock.

Just in the past few days there's been a request on the Old VTRs List for the use of a 1970's vintage video camera. They were looking for an RCA TK-45 or similar. Those things made great pictures in their day and it's hard to faithfully recreate that look in digital.

http://scottgfx.com

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Jan 11, 2017 at 4:10:15 am

Wow, I would gladly unload my super 8 Minolta camera from the late 60's for a lot less than $2k. It is molding away in the garage. Of course I think the Bolex and others from that era were a lot better. Amazingly the Kodachrome shot with it has survived reasonably well, the Ektachrome, not so much.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 11, 2017 at 4:40:30 am

Bolex still makes 16mm cameras although they are on the expensive side. I found a used one on eBay for a fairly reasonable price. Those things are built like a tank.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 11, 2017 at 5:15:00 pm

I have a lot of nostalgia for Super8. The limitations of the format make it interesting -- like cinematic haiku. What can you get done with a 50' load?

David, I'm curious. What do you plan to do with your film camera?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 12, 2017 at 12:32:20 am

Hi Walter!

I probably will start off small by doing something like birthday parties for close friends and family. May even use it when going on a vacation. That way I can learn from my mistakes and get an idea of the cost involved. I have been looking on eBay for telecine products so I can cut cost on transferring film into my computer for editing. I may use Resolve to split clips up then move to FCPX for editing. I may do some wedding stuff but not the main event itself for various reasons. I have thought of using the camera to film title cards then composiite digitally in Motion or After Effects over footage. Will not be anything complicated and will not do it all the time.

Now looking for an electric motor for the camera.

Return to posts index

Nathan Walters
on Jan 12, 2017 at 12:50:33 am

Didn't Kodak originally say the cost of the film would also cover its processing fees?

Nathan Walters
Halo Union Productions
http://www.HaloUnion.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 12, 2017 at 5:00:11 pm

I don't recall one way or the other. I did inquire if developing and transfer was included in the price. At the moment the answe is no. It might be when the cameras are available later this year but not for certain.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]