FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best training for someone new to editing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Enoch Jones
Best training for someone new to editing
on Jul 6, 2011 at 6:55:12 pm

Hi

I've been looking at a few of the training materials out there ... so far mostly Larry Jordan and Ripple Training ... and I am not sure which is the best one to choose for a friend who is absolutely brand new to video editing, but wants to dive into FCPX

From the sample videos, it appears that Steve Martin's guide might be more targeted towards the pros, while maybe Larry Jordan's might be slower paced and easier to understand?

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: Best training for someone new to editing
on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:13:31 pm

[Enoch Jones] "Anyone have any recommendations?"

The best training is OTJ, get a gig working as an assistant editor. Editing is more than how the app works.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Enoch Jones
on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:20:49 pm

Hi Scott

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I should give some more background -

This is for a friend who is not at all interested in making films. She's a VJ who plays back video with effects in real time with DJs who play music. She uses software called CellDNA to VJ which is based on Max/MSP + jitter.

So far she's been taking video (from the internet, ripping dvds, etc) and bringing it into iMovie to create small "clips". She also does some pre-editing such as sequencing numerous clips together, simple speed changes, simple color corrections (or artistic stylings), etc.

Her interest now is to use FCPX evolve on this ... use the color board, use the effects, maybe create some motion templates to use inside the app, etc. Her project length would be no more than a few minutes.

So while I do understand "Editing is more than how the app works", she is definitely seeking a way to learn how FCPX "works". I wish there was better tutorials on Apple's site .. but I digress :)

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
on Jul 7, 2011 at 9:52:15 am

So it's all copyright theft ...?

Return to posts index

Evan Howell
on Feb 24, 2013 at 5:50:01 pm

Jordan is good as is Ripple. You should definitely look into lynda.com, however. Extremely well organized and informative. On its face its project oriented, but you quickly realize it's teaching you "to fish." Cheap too- $30+/- per month, plus you have you're pick of other tutorials across the gamut as well.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:17:33 pm

Either of those two tutorials would be fine- also a massive amount of free tutorial videos on Vimeo/YouTube of greatly varying quality. There are some official books in the works from Peachpit Press as well:

http://www.peachpit.com/promotions/promotion.aspx?promo=135631

Other than that- yeah just start editing projects for fun. Quickest way to learn.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Ricky Dominguez
on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:45:17 pm

Izzy Hyman Final Cut Pro X tutorial the web is http://www.izzyvideo.com

Return to posts index

John Godden
on Jul 6, 2011 at 8:53:35 pm

Can anyone here comment on the izzy deal? The only way to get the practice video is to pay for it. Just curious if anyone has gone down that road. ???

thanks
JohnG

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]