FORUMS: list search recent posts

This is encouraging

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Herb Sevush
Re: This is encouraging
on Dec 20, 2016 at 5:33:54 pm

It's encouraging if you want an Imac. As for the Mac Pro????

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 20, 2016 at 5:55:58 pm

The bar for "encouraging" is so low that anything short of Apple saying the Mac Pro line is dead clears that hurdle.

On a less than encouraging note:

"Interviews with people familiar with Apple's inner workings reveal that the Mac is getting far less attention than it once did. They say the Mac team has lost clout with the famed industrial design group led by Jony Ive and the company's software team. They also describe a lack of clear direction from senior management, departures of key people working on Mac hardware and technical challenges that have delayed the roll-out of new computers.

In another sign that the company has prioritized the iPhone, Apple re-organized its software engineering department so there's no longer a dedicated Mac operating system team. There is now just one team, and most of the engineers are iOS first, giving the people working on the iPhone and iPad more power.
Mac fans shouldn't hold their breath for radical new designs in 2017 though. Instead, the company is preparing modest updates: USB-C ports and a new Advanced Micro Devices Inc. graphics processor for the iMac, and minor bumps in processing power for the 12-inch MacBook and MacBook Pro. Cue the outrage."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-20/how-apple-alienated-mac-...

There is also an interesting tidbit in there about a new battery design for the 2016 MBP failing at the 11th hour so they had to fall back to a less energy efficient battery design. If the new design had worked I wonder if we would've ended up with 32gigs of RAM in the machine vs 16?

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Dec 20, 2016 at 6:06:27 pm

[Herb Sevush] "It's encouraging if you want an Imac"

Which is what I will be getting next....

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 20, 2016 at 6:24:33 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Which is what I will be getting next...."

Because you really want an iMac or because you'll have no other choice? ;)

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Dec 20, 2016 at 5:51:48 pm

The new Mac Mini looks intersting if the photo is correct. Reminds me of the Tube in a more compact size. Honey, have you seen my metal donut? The dog ate it!

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Dec 21, 2016 at 9:08:09 pm

I will be happy with a new iMac with 5k screen, and as many USB-c ports as they can put on it. Maybe then I will switch to 4k video.

The death of Moore's law has really altered the pc business cycle. In the good old days, with processor speed roughly doubling every two years, it was a driving force to upgrade. Now not so much. It may not be too long before the innovation on the iPhones slows, maybe Apple is already there.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Dec 21, 2016 at 9:32:33 pm

[Claude Lyneis] "It may not be too long before the innovation on the iPhones slows, maybe Apple is already there."

The smartphone market has pretty much matured. There isn't a lot of innovation to be had there anymore. That's why Apple tried to sell removing the headphone jack as "innovation", when they could have been doing more useful (if less flashy) development like making Siri able to work in all apps. How many lives lost in car accidents would that have saved?

They lost the edge to Amazon and Google with home assistants. Not sure if they can catch up on that missed opportunity. I think they put all their chips on the Apple Watch, which is not that useful for most people. Driverless cars are a pipe dream for Apple, others are going to beat them at that game.

It could be Apple needs to enter a new phase which is more refinement of their tech including Macs, software and iPhones.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]