Charlie Austin
Apple Demo of FCP X 10.3
on Dec 14, 2016 at 4:08:16 am
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Dec 14, 2016 at 4:11:43 am

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria! ... ☺

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Apple Demo of FCP X 10.3
on Dec 14, 2016 at 5:52:17 am

2016 continues to surprise!

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Dec 15, 2016 at 4:41:32 am

What caught my eye was the ability to add a compressor to all of the dialog clips at once in the final stage of editing the sound. That seems really slick, compared to how I did it in the past.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Dec 16, 2016 at 2:24:02 pm

True. But there is something impractical about the way it's done. Which is you can only "hear" the effect of the compressor when you're outside of the compound clip. If you have to go in to the compound clip to make an adjustment you don't really know how the compressor is going to affect the sound of your adjustments until you go back outside the compound clip.

A better method would have been to allow effects on roles without having to create a compound clip.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 16, 2016 at 4:47:18 pm

[Brett Sherman] "If you have to go in to the compound clip to make an adjustment you don't really know how the compressor is going to affect the sound of your adjustments until you go back outside the compound clip.

A better method would have been to allow effects on roles without having to create a compound clip.
"

While I do think it would be nice to choose what you're monitoring when inside a CC, once you get to the Mixing stage of the cut, it's not that big of a deal. FWIW, what I do is, after making the CC of the Project and showing Lanes, choose to view the components as Subroles in the inspector *and stay in that view*. If the subroles are detailed (separate characters/mics for DIA, MX A, B, C etc., regular and LFE Effects ) You can pretty much make any tweaks without backing into the comp. If I need to, I just go in, make the tweak, and use the timeline history KB shortcut to back out and hear it.

Again, being able to hear effects applied to a Comp and/or Roles while inside the CC would be welcome. Hopefully that will appear at some point now that the Role Effect function exists...

~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Dec 16, 2016 at 6:07:55 pm

Would it be possible to use the project history buttons to deal with this?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 16, 2016 at 11:47:21 pm

[David Mathis] "Would it be possible to use the project history buttons to deal with this?"

That's what I do. Could it be easier? Sure, but it's not bad.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 27, 2016 at 3:48:17 am

My hat is off to Apple - first, the entire demo has terrific production value - we all have incredible technology at our disposal, it's about time a company is finally using it. And, the demo artist is awesome, he's prepared, he knows what he's taking about, and he's quite well spoken. He leans a bit too heavily on the touch bar for me, but since Apple doesn't have much to brag about these days with regard to its hardware, it's clear he was probably instructed by the marketing dept. to make a big deal about that feature, and so it's forgivable.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]