FORUMS: list search recent posts

So how are we all getting on with 10.3?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
So how are we all getting on with 10.3?
on Dec 8, 2016 at 6:20:44 pm

After cutting a few projects with it I love it! definitely faster, I like the new interface a lot and I'm now the most positive I've ever been about FCPX. Not that I wasn't positive before :)

Return to posts index

Michael Hadley
Re: So how are we all getting on with 10.3?
on Dec 8, 2016 at 6:56:31 pm

Mixed bag. Some of the new feature are great--workspaces, lanes. Some I'm getting used to.

That said, I've primarily been working with it on updated/existing projects--not brand new 10.3.1 libraries. I'm finding it very crashy, beach bally. Yuck.

Maybe brand new 10.3.1 projects work great? Updated ones on my right-trashcan, external Pegasus T-bolt 2 drives—not good.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 8, 2016 at 8:19:09 pm

My existing Projects have migrated for me without problems. (Outside the interface changes that make me stop and think "I need to grab a still of this scene ... did they move that?" ; )

The more seat time I accumulate, the simpler things get. Go figure.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Dec 8, 2016 at 9:20:42 pm

Some of the interface issues (names disappearing in the browser, settings not sticking etc.) are annoying but the overall editing experience is improved. I find it much faster. I have set up even more key commands now that things got moved around and that increases speed that much more.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 8, 2016 at 11:21:39 pm

[Nick Toth] "Some of the interface issues (names disappearing in the browser, settings not sticking etc.) are annoying but the overall editing experience is improved."

I'll second that, except to say these are way more than annoying.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Dec 8, 2016 at 11:56:45 pm

Have not upgraded yet; can you tell me what these disappearing names and settings are, exactly?

Doug D

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 9, 2016 at 12:15:48 am

[Douglas K. Dempsey] "Have not upgraded yet; can you tell me what these disappearing names and settings are, exactly?"

The main ones I've run into are these:

1. Randomly, as you move up or down clips in the browser (list view) the text (usually file name) completely disappears (goes blank). Then it (usually) reappears when you move on to other clips.

2. When you enter text info, like add a take number to a clip (browser in list view), the selection highlight jumps to something completely and randomly different down in the list of clips once you complete the entry.

3. Grouping and sorting settings in the browser (list view) are often not retained and you have to reset these the next time you enter FCPX.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 9, 2016 at 12:21:46 am

[Oliver Peters] "2. When you enter text info, like add a take number to a clip (browser in list view), the selection highlight jumps to something completely and randomly different down in the list of clips once you complete the entry."

This also happens - in fact mainly happens here - when you reject a range within a clip.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Dec 9, 2016 at 12:54:35 am

Not seeing the issues Oliver reports. Very quick, reactive. Solidified as my editor of choice.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 9, 2016 at 3:14:01 am

[Scott Witthaus] "Not seeing the issues Oliver reports. Very quick, reactive. Solidified as my editor of choice.
"

Same here. I use the dark OS X UI, and there are a couple 'grey text in a grey field" issues, but no disappearing clip names or anything like that. Not crashy either. And very snappy. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Dec 9, 2016 at 10:16:22 am

I also have seen the dissapearing clip names that Oliver speaks of. A lot, but I don't think, it has come back since the 10.3.1 update.

I still have to get used to where stuff is in the interface, but it feels a lot faster in general. Very pleased.

https://mathieughekiere.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Dec 9, 2016 at 1:07:49 am

That's messed up. Thanks Oliver.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Dec 13, 2016 at 4:42:35 pm

I removed FCPX 10.3.1 with FCS Remover from Digital Rebellion and re-installed from the App Store and so far the interface issues have gone away. FWIW

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Dec 9, 2016 at 6:28:13 am

Definitely feels faster. There are a few interface bugs, but nothing that slows me down while editing.

Audio redraw feels much faster, but I have not done any larger projects with 10.3.1 yet.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 9, 2016 at 12:35:25 pm

[James Culbertson] "Definitely feels faster. There are a few interface bugs, but nothing that slows me down while editing."

While I feel it's faster than the previous version, I do find that actual movement of things within the interface - specifically the timeline - is not as responsive as Premiere Pro. Mainly because it seems to be writing something to the drives with every keystroke move.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Dec 9, 2016 at 2:22:47 pm

[Oliver Peters] "specifically the timeline - is not as responsive as Premiere Pro"

Wow. I see the total opposite (see my post in the new Adobe releases thread).

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 9, 2016 at 3:18:23 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Wow. I see the total opposite (see my post in the new Adobe releases thread)."

I don't know which thread you are referring to. However, in comparing the two across several different machines, I find that when I do trimming via dragging clip edges, Premiere is a lot more responsive. This is not a new issue in my opinion.

The only time I feel FCPX truly lives up to its potential is when everything is SSD - computer hard drive, storage, etc. For example, it's very slick on my MBP, but less so on a trash can connected to an external RAID - even via Thunderbolt. I always feels like I am outrunning the speed of the UI when I makes changes in the timeline. I don't feel that way with Premiere.

OTOH, if I have a lot of high-res media (e.g. 2K, 4K, etc.) then FCPX performs better once you add minimal effects.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Gabe Strong
on Dec 10, 2016 at 10:28:18 pm

2009 upgraded MacPro (6 core 3.46ghz CPU, 980Ti GPU, and PCI SSDs) and 2013 MacBook Pro here. FCP X 10.3.1 is lighting fast with no issues yet.

Gabe Strong
G-Force Productions
http://www.gforcevideo.com

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Dec 11, 2016 at 11:13:28 am

[Oliver Peters] "in comparing the two across several different machines, I find that when I do trimming via dragging clip edges, Premiere is a lot more responsive. This is not a new issue in my opinion.

The only time I feel FCPX truly lives up to its potential is when everything is SSD - computer hard drive, storage, etc. For example, it's very slick on my MBP, but less so on a trash can connected to an external RAID - even via Thunderbolt. I always feels like I am outrunning the speed of the UI when I makes changes in the timeline. I don't feel that way with Premiere."

Premiere generally has a "crisp", direct-coupled UI feel, but in some cases this can degrade much worse than FCPX. OTOH the FCPX UI is often severely degraded by computational load from plugins. A plugin like Digital Anarchy's Flicker Free will cause the UI to lag severely. This isn't pure CPU contention, since macOS UI events outside FCPX are still processed. Rather the UI event queue in FCPX is somehow in the same loop as back end plugin computation. I've never seen Premiere do that.

FCPX 10.3 has significant UI performance issues with stacked timelines (ie connected clips), which can cause several seconds of lag when dragging clips. This will probably be fixed pretty soon.

That said, FCPX (at least when running on identical Mac hardware) is much faster than Premiere in terms of viewer update rate and general keyboard responsiveness on a H264 4k timeline. On my top-spec 2015 iMac 27 with media on a Thunderbolt 2 SSD RAID-0 array, Premiere CC 2017 can lag several seconds updating the program monitor when fast forwarding on a 4k timeline. That is using Mercury GPU rendering and 1/4 resolution display. Viewer updates on FCPX are much faster, and that's not including skimmer performance which is probably 20 times faster. Premiere lags severely on JKL input when FF/REV on a 4k timeline -- it's so sluggish it feels like the keyboard is broken.

Premiere does keep the playhead moving more smoothly than FCPX in such cases -- almost as if they dedicated a separate high-priority thread to just doing that. However you can't really tell where you are because the program monitor is like a slide show.

Improving performance in cases like this is often hard, tedious work. Years ago the senior managers at FoxBase would walk around with stopwatches around their necks, and the programmers were subject to an impromptu timed performance test of their code. The message was that performance -- not just features -- was critical. That definitely doesn't happen anymore.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Dec 11, 2016 at 5:11:30 pm

Glad to know I am not the only one experience lag with dragging connected clips For some reason it is much worse in 10.3 than in 10.2.X.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Dec 9, 2016 at 9:38:01 pm

[Oliver Peters] "...specifically the timeline - is not as responsive..."

Not seeing that here Oliver. Is this a larger project? I've only been working on short form (less than 10 minutes) so far in 10.3.1

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 9, 2016 at 10:06:39 pm

[James Culbertson] "Not seeing that here Oliver. Is this a larger project? I've only been working on short form (less than 10 minutes) so far in 10.3.1"

Under 10 min for any given sequence. Multiple sequences though and lately 2K (not HD) or 4K media.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 9, 2016 at 5:33:39 pm

I love it.

I want more. :)

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Dec 9, 2016 at 7:14:24 pm

It's working out pretty well for me. However since the release and with the 10.3.1 update here are the problems that bug me:

- Clips names disappear
- Background tasks icons doesn't always update effectively that something is happening (such as transcoding)
- Dragging connected clips on the storyline like (particularly audio for us) is much much worse than pre 10.3. There's a lot of lag time and delay on the same computer.
- The yellow alert symbol [still] doesn't update automatically to reflect changes to get rid of the alert. It's inconsistent.
- Dealing with audio channels takes a little getting used to now that I don't have direct access to the Loudness Noise Removal, and Hum Removal (depending on the type of audio file (mostly polyphonic for us).

Things I was sorely disappointed not to see:
- Batch Export
- Batch syncing
- Custom file naming that changes the actually Finder file name (either on import of post import) rather than the current - form which only maintains it in the FCP X database.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Dec 10, 2016 at 6:32:07 pm

I'm working mostly on projects from the previous version. I feel everything is somehow snappier, even if I could not really practice on the new features due to urgent deliveries. One thing makes me happy: with all the previous versions I always had some problems importing from Canon XA-G10 cards. Everything was very slow and laggy, up to the point I couldn't really skim from the preview. Now it's fast as it should be.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Dec 23, 2016 at 8:30:32 am

I'm very sad to see FCPX 10.3.1 still suffers from horrible latency when A/V output is active. I've sadly had it confirmed "that's the way it is" more or less. Unusable I'd even say for people requiring this.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 23, 2016 at 7:05:17 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "'m very sad to see FCPX 10.3.1 still suffers from horrible latency when A/V output is active. I've sadly had it confirmed "that's the way it is" more or less. Unusable I'd even say for people requiring this."

What device do you have?

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Dec 23, 2016 at 8:59:55 pm

8-core 2013 nMP / D700 / 64 GB / 1TB with a LaCie 8-big 24TB raid and a BMD Ultrastudio 4K.

Sadly this issue has persisted on every single version of FCPX / OSX and hardware I've tested. MacPro 2008 and MacBook Pro 2011 with AMD-GPU's and AJA video-cards (Kona 3 and t-tap), iMac 2012 with a GTX680MX and BMD Ultra Studio Monitor and the nMP. I must have tested every macOS- / FCPX-combo.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 23, 2016 at 9:05:27 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "BMD Ultrastudio 4K."

I switched to back to AJA after a brief hiatus and it changed my FCPX life.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Dec 24, 2016 at 8:11:44 am

Sadly that's a no-go since we use Resolve.

Return to posts index

Dean Neal
on Dec 27, 2016 at 6:36:54 am

[Erik Lindahl] "Sadly that's a no-go since we use Resolve."

Blackmagic devices... a mix of pleasure and PAIN.

Dean Neal...

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Dec 27, 2016 at 12:31:40 pm

I personally have way better experience with AJA hardware in general but in regards to this lag / playback delay issue I've seen no difference between a variety of systems. I even saw the same remark from the editor behind the massive Finnish war film being edited in FCPX. He turns off AV-output when he's editing alone on the system as it's way to slow otherwise.

This shouldn't have to be the case. The FCPX pipelines is vastly superior to for example PREMIERE on the same system in terms of speed when doing a final render. It's just got a terrible output delay happening.

Return to posts index

Bryce Button
on Dec 27, 2016 at 10:07:16 pm

Hi Eric,

Just out of interest, have you downloaded the latest AJA Software drivers, v12.5? https://www.aja.com/products/kona-3g#support We're always interested in gathering feedback for our driver development. Items submitted to our support team helps drive priority items as well.

support@aja.com

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]