FORUMS: list search recent posts

One computer one license?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter McAuley
One computer one license?
on Jul 6, 2011 at 5:52:35 pm

Just wondering if anybody knows the deal with FCP X licenses. I purchased it for my Mac Pro and now want to put it on my Mac Book Pro. Can I download it again from the same apple account and authorize another computer? Or is it one computer one license, pay each time?

Peter McAuley
AXYZ
Toronto

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: One computer one license?
on Jul 6, 2011 at 5:57:46 pm

Peter,

The people at Apple are so pleased to sell FCP X to you for $300 that they will gladly let you download and install it on your second a computer at no charge.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Jul 6, 2011 at 6:41:08 pm

Just sign in with your APPstore ID on your MBP and click on "purchased", and FCPX, Motion or whatever you purchased will be there then just click install. And it will download and install in your MBP.

I had to verify it was actually me by confirming my ccard. But there is no second charge.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jul 6, 2011 at 6:50:18 pm

Yes and no. Here's a link to the Apple Discussions forum that says you can on up to five machines using the same Apple ID:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3132218

However I did read somewhere that this does not apply to commercial users who can call Apple to arrange for volume purchases. Physically it will work and it appears to be acceptable as there is no restriction imposed by Apple other than the honour system if you are a business / commercial enterprise. Technically the commercial users are one license per machine but this may assume you have a significant number of staff to supply with FCP X on those machines as opposed to a sole operator who is only going to use one machine at a time. Call Apple to be sure if you want.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:18:42 pm

That being said- Apple is not going to chase you down for installing on your two computers. You are not the volume license target customer. And none exists presently anyway.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Peter McAuley
on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:29:27 pm

Well I guess I'll put it on my my home imac as well then.

Peter McAuley
AXYZ
Toronto

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jul 6, 2011 at 11:16:05 pm

Commercial use is allowed via the app store. It's the iTunes store that restricts it. You can put X on 5 machines, and run them on the same wifi network. I've certainly done this with 3 computers.

Incidentally - drag the FCPX package to an external drive and drag it back to any computer you want to use it on. This works (even on non-certified machines like my Air) and beats the hell out of downloading.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 7, 2011 at 3:46:07 pm

The EULA boils down to this:

One user can use FCPX on multiple Macs he owns and controls. Multiple users can use FCPX on a single Mac in a shared setting. You are not allowed to pay once and put it on multiple Macs that will each be used by a different user.

The actual legalese:

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, unless you obtained the Apple Software under a volume license, maintenance or other written agreement from Apple, you are granted a limited non- transferable license to install and use the Apple Software only on Apple-branded computers that you own or control in accordance with the Mac App Store Product Usage Rules located at [copied below as well]: http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/terms.html#SALE (“MAC APP STORE PRODUCT USAGE RULES”). Except as permitted under the Mac Usage Rules, you may not distribute or make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple devices at the same time. You may not rent, lease, lend, sell, transfer, redistribute or sublicense the Apple Software.

MAC APP STORE PRODUCT USAGE RULES

Except as otherwise set forth herein,

(i) You may download and use an application from the Mac App Store (“Mac App Store Product”) for personal, non-commercial use on any Apple-branded products running Mac OS X (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control.

(ii) If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, you may download a Mac App Store Product for use by either (a) a single individual on each of the Mac Computer(s) used by that individual that you own or control or (b) multiple individuals on a single shared Mac Computer that you own or control. For example, a single employee may use a Mac App Store Product on both the employee’s desktop Mac Computer and laptop Mac Computer, or multiple students may serially use a Mac App Store Product on a single Mac Computer located at a resource center or library. For the sake of clarity, each Mac Computer used serially by multiple users requires a separate license.

(iii) Use may require sign-in with the Apple ID used to download the Mac App Store Product from the Mac App Store. Mac App Store Products can be updated through the Mac App Store only.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jul 8, 2011 at 3:54:39 pm

Andrew, thanks for posting the actual legal limitations. For commercial users, it’s not the “one person per machine” as I thought. The key is one license per user and that user can use one or more machines such as a desktop and laptop etc. Non-commercial users can use a license on all the machines they control such as a desktop and iPad 3. Okay that last example is looking to the future.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]