FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best article about the new MBP.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Austin
Best article about the new MBP.
on Nov 23, 2016 at 6:32:32 pm

Well researched, and absolutely correct IMO.

The Reaction To The New MacBook Pro - You May Need To Move To Stage 5

Here the TL;DR version.

Like everyone else I would love an Apple computer built to my creative sector specifications. I like you have a lot of gear that I need to attach to my computer in the studio. I'm doing it but with some changes to my workflow. The reality is I don't think that a machine made to cater for our sector exclusively (the MacBook Niche) is coming anytime soon, I'd almost go as far to say never, I would be foolish to say never, especially in print! Would I put money on Apple making that computer? No.

So if you are holding out for that computer then I suggest you have two choices; work with the computers Apple already make or look elsewhere.

I suggest the sooner we accept this the better.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Best article about the new MBP.
on Nov 23, 2016 at 11:54:46 pm

I'd like someone to name the markets where one might use four Thunderbolt 3 ports.
I think Media Professionals benefit most from that.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 24, 2016 at 1:28:02 am

[Craig Seeman] "I'd like someone to name the markets where one might use four Thunderbolt 3 ports."

From a performance standpoint, yes. However, most folks are going to buy adapters rather than docks. So figure, (1) power, a connected (2) TimeMachine drive, and (3) a connected USB peripheral. You've chewed up 3 ports right there, even if each doesn't need the power.

Of course, given the price, most folks are going to go for the cheaper machine, unless they want or need the bigger screen real estate. I think the term "professional" (meaning users) is irrelevant. Let's just say it's for "power" users, who want more than the basic set-up.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 24, 2016 at 2:58:40 am

[Oliver Peters] "However, most folks are going to buy adapters rather than docks. S"

Why?

Think of it this way, the extra power adapter you buy for your MBP will have HDMI, USB3, Ethernet, loop through, and perhaps an SD card media reader.

Why would I buy dongles for all of those separately and why would I buy an extra power adapter from Apple?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 24, 2016 at 2:43:27 pm

I'm having trouble finding a hub that meets my needs. I need two TB 2 connections for raid (with throughout to monitor) and 1 for AJA. I also need support for a second DVI monitor. The TB3 hubs either aren't available or compatible. Plus, they have TB3 outputs which are going to require a TB3 to TB2 adapter anyway. The TB2 hubs will require an adapter out of the MacBook to use and only support 1 monitor unless you have a "thunderbolt aware" monitor.

So it looks like if I get a hub, it'll require two TB adapters in either case. TB3 hub will require two just to hook up the monitors to the hub, or the TB2 hub will require 1 to hook up the hub and another to hook up an additional monitor to another port. If I need to buy two adapters anyway, the hub is just a convenience so I can plug in speakers, USB hub, power, etc all in one port. But if that comes at a $250 premium, I'll pass and just use the dongles which I have to buy anyway.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 26, 2016 at 1:40:07 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Why would I buy dongles for all of those separately and why would I buy an extra power adapter from Apple?"

Was wondering the exact same thing.

- RK

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Nov 24, 2016 at 5:35:18 pm

[Oliver Peters] "From a performance standpoint, yes. However, most folks are going to buy adapters rather than docks. "

As someone who uses the older MBP daily as a secondary workstation, I can say without hesitation that you need a hub for that also. They just can't build enough ports into a reasonably-sized laptops. Nowhere near what you need in a production environment.

So I'm not sure what exactly has changed. Connecting to your hub with USB-C versus Thunderbolt isn't exactly a radical shift. Just plug-in a couple cables and start working. I don't get all the hand wringing about this.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 24, 2016 at 5:37:51 pm

OWC is releasing a Thunderbolt 3 dock with quite a few ports. February, I believe.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Nov 24, 2016 at 5:44:16 pm

OK, but I am still holding out for an update version of an iMac with some whizzo ports to match USB-c, TB-2 etc. I prefer to edit at a desk on a big screen, so using a portable with its obvious compromises and higher cost doesn't appeal to me.

I am not arguing about the article, which confirms my earlier observation that in the Apple store, the iMac, trash can, etc occupy minimal space compared to notebooks, iPad, Apple Watches and iPhones.

Of course, living in the bubble of the SF Bay Area, can cause severe reality distortion as proven on November 8, 2016.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 24, 2016 at 5:54:15 pm

The trash can Macs must have an extremely low percentage of users. That's one of the reasons that Apple is able to build them in the US, not overseas. My guess is that Apple built it to stay in the graces of a market segment that it wants to appeal to. Whether or not it makes a profit is hard to say. Apple's calculus is holistic, not per company division. But is that still true 3 years later? I would think a refresh of the iMac and maybe Mini is likely. Trash can Macs? Hard to say.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]