SpeedScriber and FCPX in beta

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
SpeedScriber and FCPX in beta
on Nov 21, 2016 at 4:06:39 pm
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Nov 21, 2016 at 4:10:57 pm

http://betanews.speedscriber.com/using-speedscriber-with-final-cut-pro-x/

Remember the back and forth on the thread regarding SpeedScriber and FCPX compatibility and whether it could be implemented. Seems to be in the works now with FCPX 10.3
Speaker name as Keyword
Select words and make them Favorite
Transcripts in Notes it seems

Some very interesting stuff in there.

Their promo video
https://vimeo.com/192376180

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: SpeedScriber and FCPX in beta
on Nov 21, 2016 at 4:47:22 pm

I think it's getting there... but the fee model, I'm not crazy about

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 21, 2016 at 4:59:48 pm

[Mark Suszko] "I think it's getting there... but the fee model, I'm not crazy about"

What do you think a better model would be?
Currently it's 50¢ per minute with a 30 minute minimum purchase ($15) I believe.
It could get fairly expensive if you're working on a documentary.

Personally I'd like to buy a program but would an annual subscription be better?

Alternately maybe a lifetime "unlimited" minutes subscription might be interesting but I'm not sure how profitable that would be for them.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 21, 2016 at 6:04:45 pm

I like the per min option.

I can see me using it maybe twice a year.

I dont do enough work like that but Ive ran into it a few times.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Nov 21, 2016 at 6:06:52 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Currently it's 50¢ per minute with a 30 minute minimum purchase ($15) I believe.
It could get fairly expensive if you're working on a documentary. "

Having a person do transcripts for a documentary is already fairly expensive (unless you find someone on Craigslist that's willing to work for a pizza). In my experience SpeedScriber is 25-50% below the going rate for a human transcriptionist and the turnaround time is significantly faster. It's a great deal, IMO, and I think the pay-for-use is a good business model for it.

Martin is the only one that can say for sure, but I think selling it as a standalone app might require a price point that would be prohibitively expensive for users that have modest or infrequent transcription. Another consideration is the licensing requirements/restrictions for the speech-to-text tech that's being used on the back end.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 21, 2016 at 7:06:22 pm

I really need it for everything I do, and though it may be a comparative bargain, it's still outside my range, partly on price, partly because my shop prefers a completely automated solution without monthly charges, that they can just pay for once and own forever. Even if that comes with a lower accuracy; due to "sunk costs", they'd rather have me correct the files, than pay someone outside to do it, since I'm already here on payroll anyhow. So I'm still looking for something similar that's pure machine-translation-based, with the functionality of a plug-in. If I was self-employed, Speed Scriber would appeal to me more.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Nov 24, 2016 at 5:44:27 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "SpeedScriber is 25-50% below the going rate for a human transcriptionist and the turnaround time is significantly faster. "

There is definitely a use for both. I use Trint at .25 per minute for quick and dirty interview transcription or fast-turnaround 3+ minute subtitle creation. If it's 2-3 minutes, I find it faster to just key it in, rather than correcting errors. And if I have the time, paying Rev.com is a much better deal for subtitles.

I think Speedscriber would really have to convince me that the interface with FCP X is worth double the fee I'm already paying for somewhat accurate transcription.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Nov 24, 2016 at 5:49:37 pm

I was a big fan of their movielogger for years (manual but very easy and useful) This new system seems more costly than another service i'm now regularly using - http://www.trint.com -- pricing as low as 20 cents a minute......depending on plan but even the most expensive plan is 1/2 the cost of Speedscriber. It is incredibly fast and accurate. We are using it virtually every day now.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Martin Baker
on Nov 30, 2016 at 11:12:25 am

It depends what you're looking for Andy.

Trint have gone down the web-app route, which we deliberately didn't because while it enlarges the customer base it also throws up a ton of major issues. With Trint, if you upload a video file it has to actually upload the WHOLE file including the video (which is not even used!) rather than doing what we're able to do with SpeedScriber which is to upload just the audio. I can't tell you how many testers have said how impressed they are with the upload speed due to this reason. Personally I've found using Trint hurts my eyes ☺ - one of our testers said their favourite thing about SpeedScriber was how easy the UI design is to look at for hours at a time.

If Trint had round tripping with FCPX (available now in SpeedScriber) and integration with Avid and Premiere Pro (coming soon) then it would be a fair comparison...

Martin
Digital Heaven, London UK

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Nov 30, 2016 at 3:31:42 pm

I'll definitely take a look and am interested. But I haven't seen a product demo or anything to evaluate how it would work for me. I'm hoping the transcriptions are open to be searchable within the Finder. That's a critical component for me.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Martin Baker
on Nov 30, 2016 at 6:09:18 pm

SpeedScriber is in beta. So if you want to take a look you'd need to sign up at http://www.speedscriber.com

I'm hoping the transcriptions are open to be searchable within the Finder

Not quite sure what you mean. You can print, export as PDF, .srt or plain text.

Martin
Digital Heaven, London UK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]