FORUMS: list search recent posts

TouchBar & FCPX.... Fail

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Woodhead
TouchBar & FCPX.... Fail
on Nov 21, 2016 at 10:55:44 am

Finally dropped into a store to get hands on the new MBP. Only took a few seconds to realize the TouchBar is almost entirely useless for an editor, all due to one fact - you can't customize it! So it's limited to the default shortcuts, for which any real editor knows the keyboard shortcuts by heart, heck, we mutter them in our sleep. And it isn't faster reaching up to the TouchBar than simply banging a key combo. Even zooming the timeline might not be faster than just "shift-z, reposition CTI, cmd+ cmd+ cmd+. OK, sliding the current view window on the timeline was neat due to the visual representation on the TouchBar, but not sure how day to day useful that'll be.

Don't get me wrong, if Apple enables customization, like in Safari, then I'm all for it. It'd be great to have a visual representation of seldom used keystrokes up there. But for now, it's useless in X. Correct me if I've missed something, of course!

I didn't check, but until then, it'd be nice if the TouchBar could do iTunes visualizations. Realtime audio waveforms, maybe....

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: TouchBar & FCPX.... Fail
on Nov 21, 2016 at 11:22:21 am

At least you can run Doom on it: https://www.slashgear.com/doom-runs-on-everything-including-macbook-pro-tou...

Return to posts index

Gregor Queck
on Nov 21, 2016 at 11:39:17 am
Last Edited By Gregor Queck on Nov 21, 2016 at 11:43:16 am

Thomas Grove Carter:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/thomas-grove-carter/one-professionals-look-...

"I was very skeptical about the addition of the Touch Bar. It looked like the result of an incestuous fling between a keyboard and an iPad mini (with Retina display). But I also felt skeptical about insert tech you use all the time now originally too. Once you begin to use it, you’ll see. Your cold heart will soften.

The first revelation for me was the potential of sliders. Gradual, precise and fast inputs.

For years we’ve had single mouse inputs on a graphical user interface. Over time we’ve added more buttons and scroll wheels, trackpads with gestures. The Touch Bar takes this step further by allowing multiple inputs at the same time and combines well with the trackpad. The more I’ve used it the more I’ve replaced certain keyboard shortcuts. Why would I use dual-hand/multi-finger shortcuts if the button was there in front of me? And it’s contextual. It changes depending on what I’m doing. I’m editing picture; it shows me relevant trimming shortcuts. I’m editing titles; it shows me font, formatting and colour options. All without the need to open other menus. It works, it’s faster and it’s more productive. I believe it’s only a starting point, as developers learn how we all use this thing, it’s going to get better and better. But even the short time that I’ve been using it with Final Cut Pro 10.3, I can already feel it becoming part of my everyday editing process."

. . .

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Nov 21, 2016 at 12:09:40 pm

[Gregor Queck] " Why would I use dual-hand/multi-finger shortcuts if the button was there in front of me?"

Umm... because keyboard shortcuts are FASTER? I find it really hard to believe that a direct keyboard shortcut, not needing any mouse/move/click first, is going to be slower than taking fingers off keys, moving to the TouchBar, and touching there. When you use a shortcut keystroke, the "button" is always right under your fingers!

[Gregor Queck] " I’m editing picture; it shows me relevant trimming shortcuts"

If you don't know all the trim shortcuts, you ain't an editor, you're a something+editor.

[Gregor Queck] "I’m editing titles; it shows me font, formatting and colour options. "

OK, good point - I didn't think to go into some Inspector options, there could be some great value in there. For sure, I'd love a long touch slider to change values, rather than trying to get fine increments out of a value field with a mouse.

[Gregor Queck] " I believe it’s only a starting point, as developers learn how we all use this thing, it’s going to get better and better. "

This, I hope happens quickly.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Nov 21, 2016 at 12:12:47 pm

Sorry, Gregor, I didn't mean to put Carter's words in your mouth. I forgot the quote was appending your name, not his.

Kicking myself for not thinking about going into the Inspector & seeing what can be done with the Bar.

But overall moot, as we're updating our 2012 MBPs to the new one anyway.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Nov 21, 2016 at 3:13:28 pm

[Bob Woodhead] " you ain't an editor, you're a something+editor."

There's something wrong with that?

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Nov 22, 2016 at 12:29:06 am

[Brett Sherman] "[Bob Woodhead] " you ain't an editor, you're a something+editor."

There's something wrong with that?"

Not at all. Point was that anyone calling themselves a pro editor shouldn't need an icon instead of CMD-B

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Nov 24, 2016 at 3:13:45 pm

[Bob Woodhead] "Not at all. Point was that anyone calling themselves a pro editor shouldn't need an icon instead of CMD-B"

Even pros have a few blindspots with keyboard shortcuts. And I would not say anyone that doesn't edit full-time isn't a "pro." I'm a pro-editor, pro-videographer, pro-director, pro-producer, pro-effects artist. I just get tired of the notion of trying to split people into the "pro" versus "non-pro" crowd (usually by people who tend to do a single task in production).

But I would tend to agree with you that keyboard shortcuts aren't exactly revolutionary for the touch-bar. I think everyone knows that sliders are the way it should go. Audio adjustment, color correction tools, etc. Imagine if Apple put a version of Photos level adjustment. Which is incredibly powerful BTW and is sad it didn't make it to FCP X.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 22, 2016 at 11:54:59 pm

Following in the noble footsteps of all the AVID editors who played with FCP 1.0 a little - and immediately pronounced it a fail.

And more recently those who played with X a little and similarly pronounced it a fail.

Good to know that consistency across decades is being preserved.

Just be patient , and I'm sure these snap judgements about the the TouchBar will end up being every bit as predictive as someone seeing a keyboard for the first time - and being utterly unable to express themselves through it.

; )

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Nov 23, 2016 at 10:49:46 am

AT THIS POINT, it is a fail. (mostly? like I said above, I didn't think to see how it interacts with the Inspector - mea culpa).

Macbook PRO. Final Cut PRO. And the TouchBar is not customizable for a PRO. When working in the main X interface, all you get are a few shortcuts to the tools that we use most. We all know those shortcuts. (Yes, you also get the nifty timeline scrub tool.)

I would fully expect AT SOME POINT that X will get the same "customize TouchBar" menu option that Safari has. But as of now, it doesn't, so I'm gonna call fail.

When X was 10.0.0 is was a FAIL. When it was 10.0.6 it was workable. Now it's starting to shine brightly.

Don't apologize & accept something that's wrong. Insist that it be better. And perhaps it will.

Return to posts index

Paul Golden
on Nov 23, 2016 at 5:09:55 pm

The "fail" was Apple calling it FCPX as opposed to something else like New Edit 1.0. Then everyone would have cut it some slack and realized it was beta software and been really excited about the future.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 23, 2016 at 8:39:23 pm

[Bob Woodhead] "When X was 10.0.0 is was a FAIL. "

Keep believing that Don.

Some of us looked at FCP X 1.0 and saw ...

Magnetic editing
An internal DAM
Range-based keywording
Modern digital file sharing
Robust Proxy workflows
and a dozen other re-imaginings of where NLEs might be headed.

ALL of that was in FCP X 1.0 on day one. A new approach brimming with new possibilities.

Scores of other editors couldn't see beyond what was missing - and stopped looking.

My daily life as an editor is MUCH easier today because I didn't.

That's all.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 26, 2016 at 2:04:41 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Nov 26, 2016 at 2:07:18 pm

[Bob Woodhead] "AT THIS POINT, it is a fail."

You apparently missed that it was just released along with a brand new TouchBar API that few have had any time to actually work with yet? But then I guess you can name so much as one 1.0 product that was 100% stellar from day one for comparison? Otherwise that's no different than if you e.g. had complained "There are only a 100 apps!" in the App Store the day (or a week) after it launched. I.e. painfully near-sighted, no? Especially by actually whittling it down to a single app and use case for an overall judgment. Wow.

[Bill Davis] "Scores of other editors couldn't see beyond what was missing - and stopped looking."

And never mind that nearly everything that was allegedly missing that those "pros" lamented about, was added within a mere 6 months of the initial release (all the while FCP 7 functioned just fine). But there's no stopping people from living in "the evil (5+ year old) past", if only for the sake of argument and to reiterate how much of a "demanding pro" they were and are. No matter how jejune it comes across. 😉

- RK

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 28, 2016 at 7:43:56 am

How can it be a fail when you can do this with it?

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2016/11/knight-rider-kitt-animation-macbook-pro-to...

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 28, 2016 at 3:45:55 pm

[Steve Connor] "How can it be a fail when you can do this with it?"

Exactly! *mic-drop*

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 28, 2016 at 5:08:59 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "Exactly! *mic-drop*"

I take back everything I said.