Eric Santiago
Re: The new Mac Mini
on Nov 18, 2016 at 2:14:29 pm

Would love to try Maya on this :)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 18, 2016 at 4:19:28 pm

But it "only" has USB-c (not Thunderbolt 3). How would anyone get ANY work done, let alone design Bridges, buildings, and other heavy structures that will carry, house, and/or employ human beings and their vehicles?? Why doesn't it have quad GPUs and weigh 148 pounds?

Why must I always feel the need to sarcast?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 18, 2016 at 8:28:01 pm

I don't get the angle about this being great for CAD work. And this is not a mac mini vs. hp mini issue, but an overall form-factor issue. A small-footprint independent computer suggests a mobile, or at least intentionally portable, user experience, or at least, an installation that is more "field"- like than "office"-like. For example, I could see a small computer like this hooked to a 3-d printer or CNC router or laser engraver. Even though all of those things can run off a thumb drive or internal memory, but let's leave it for the sake of argument. I can see a small format machine like this connected to VR experiences. Or used in the music-recording/production and DJ business areas. But what's the advantage of a small footprint, with inherent compromises in performance or other features/ options, in a static, standard office/desk environment like CAD? Or, is there some gain from rack-mounting a bunch of these into a massive array? This may be a cool platform for certain applications, but you're pitching it for CAD work? Like the scene in "Big", when Tom Hanks is asked to play-test the robots that turn into buildings... "I don't get it".

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Nov 18, 2016 at 9:11:04 pm
Last Edited By Shawn Miller on Nov 18, 2016 at 9:15:39 pm

[Mark Suszko] "I don't get the angle about this being great for CAD work. And this is not a mac mini vs. hp mini issue, but an overall form-factor issue. A small-footprint independent computer suggests a mobile, or at least intentionally portable, user experience, or at least, an installation that is more "field"- like than "office"-like. For example, I could see a small computer like this hooked to a 3-d printer or CNC router or laser engraver. Even though all of those things can run off a thumb drive or internal memory, but let's leave it for the sake of argument. I can see a small format machine like this connected to VR experiences. Or used in the music-recording/production and DJ business areas. But what's the advantage of a small footprint, with inherent compromises in performance or other features/ options, in a static, standard office/desk environment like CAD? Or, is there some gain from rack-mounting a bunch of these into a massive array? This may be a cool platform for certain applications, but you're pitching it for CAD work? Like the scene in "Big", when Tom Hanks is asked to play-test the robots that turn into buildings... "I don't get it"."

Mini PC's are good from a power consumption, space and heat standpoint. The trend in bigger office environments is fewer closed offices, fewer permanent desk assignments, smaller cubicles and more open, collaborative work spaces. A mini PC also makes sense for very small, enclosed offices where heat and noise can affect your daily comfort.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 18, 2016 at 9:42:29 pm

Then why not laptops?

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Nov 18, 2016 at 10:18:30 pm
Last Edited By Shawn Miller on Nov 18, 2016 at 10:19:38 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Then why not laptops?"

You can put more RAM and a Xeon processor in a mini PC. It's also not unusual for a company to assign multiple devices to a single employee, so lots of people have a workstation and a laptop or tablet.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Nov 22, 2016 at 4:35:39 pm
Last Edited By Ricardo Marty on Nov 22, 2016 at 4:36:27 pm

I think that the new surface studio has better Tech specs and ergonomics for a cad user. Maybe more expensive but well worth it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/devices/surface-studio/tech-specs

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/devices/surface-studio/overview

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Nov 21, 2016 at 11:12:25 pm

[Mark Suszko] "an overall form-factor issue."

They look really cool.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Nov 23, 2016 at 3:27:25 pm

I own a mini that is a 4 core i7 CPU. It seems like there certainly in a case for form factor like the mini that has some processing power and takes up very little space. Connect monitors and keyboards that suit you and away you go.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]