FORUMS: list search recent posts

Your take on Hitfilm as an alternative.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jordi molina
Your take on Hitfilm as an alternative.
on Nov 17, 2016 at 6:43:58 pm

Being forced to change the software that you use to earn your daily-bread sucks, I get it.

I began editing with Media100, jumped to FCPlegacy on 1.25 (a looong time ago), currently editing on FCPX and Resolve (sometimes I do the odd job on Smoke or Premiere).

I mostly edit my own stuff (30-45s commercials) and I nearly always take care of the effects (AE mainly, used to do more in Smoke and currently looking at Fusion with high hopes) and colour-grading

I also work part-time as professional colour-grader (Resolve-Sgo Mystika) with 12 movies and several tv-series on my CV.

So mostly I tend to work as lonegun-filmmaker in terms of post-work, but i do offsource the occasional 3d parts and the sound.mix.

Having said that. I'm curious about the Hitfilm. The promise of editing and some rather complex effects on the same package sounds good, and kindda what got me to learn Autodesk Smoke but the license cost and shennigans of that program kept me away.

I'm asking this because the examples i see on Hitfilms own web don't look that good to me and it seems to be mostly centered on fan-films doing their own take on Star wars/lord of the rings, and hardly any serious commercial work. I've also read somewhere that the program doesn't use XMLs and that's a big thing on my current workflows.

Your thoughts?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Your take on Hitfilm as an alternative.
on Nov 18, 2016 at 2:17:11 am

I'd think it would be a huge waste of time in terms of any sort of collaboration with someone not using Hitfilm. But it's worth a try of the free demo if you wanted to.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
Re: Your take on Hitfilm as an alternative.
on Nov 18, 2016 at 6:12:11 pm

I've tried HitFilm at various times since it's release, the last time was a few months ago. Overall, I think it's a really powerful application that probably deserves serious consideration by anyone who creates motion graphics for a living. There are some big downsides for sure, but depending on what you do and how you prefer to work, those things may not matter to you. If you need a pretty decent compositor with decent animation tools and simple editing tools AND you DON'T need scripting, expressions, OpenEXR 2.0 support, XML interchange or a plugin architecture, then HF might be just the right thing. If you do need any of those things though, HF might not be your best choice. That said, it's easy to use and the built in particle engine and most of the effects are really good.

Shawn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]