FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why is creativcow biased against FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Frank
Why is creativcow biased against FCPX
on Nov 3, 2016 at 5:47:10 am

I have noticed this for a bit now but why are they so biased?
Are they paid off, with all the Adobe advertising in every corner of the site?
Apple releases a update... not much activity as soon Adobe adds a update the site just gets bombarded with Adobe.
The same with the news articles, Adobe here Adobe there.

I always thought creative cow was a neutral professional site. But it feels like a Adobe advertisement crusade.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: Why is creativcow biased against FCPX
on Nov 3, 2016 at 6:33:20 am

[Thomas Frank] "Apple releases a update... not much activity"

Not much activity?

Apple released new laptops and the 10.3 update last week and there are almost two dozen threads (I stopped counting at 15) talking about it in this part of the COW alone.

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Nov 3, 2016 at 7:29:33 am

Yes I know they did but where are the news letter with the info from creativecow?
Didn't see anything about FCPX on the front page. Just Adobe.

Don't get me wrong, not talking about the community I mean the site and it's administration.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 3, 2016 at 7:44:26 am

[Thomas Frank] "I always thought creative cow was a neutral professional site. But it feels like a Adobe advertisement crusade.
"

It IS a neutral professional site and you are wrong about the Adobe bias. I count two threads showing about Adobe here, one started by me and the other a news piece on the new CC release. Everything else is discussion about FCPX 10.3 at the moment

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Nov 3, 2016 at 8:54:39 am

You guys getting me wrong, the forums are active and used by the users.
But the site itself "Administrative" Apple releases new MacBook Pros and FCPX right. No news letter nor stories on the main page.
Only Adobe...

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 3, 2016 at 11:40:26 am

Thomas,

Perhaps you're noticing that advertising dollars get you eyeballs on the Internet. Adobe spends enormous amounts on advertising and generating PR. I think you're confusing Adobe's successful high-powered advertising with this site's editorial policy.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Nov 3, 2016 at 9:33:56 pm

laughed so hard I nearly spit out my coffee :)

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 3, 2016 at 12:04:51 pm

There's a main page?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 3, 2016 at 12:58:47 pm

No comment about X.

The new laptops, however?

Maybe a few hundred people in the entire world have EVER touched one.
They don't ship for another couple of weeks.
Virtually no-one has EVER edited on one.

So it's so very useful to be able to cruise around the interwebs and learn - so far in advance - just how much Apple has screwed them up.

On second thought - I suppose it does make me a bit all misty and nostalgic to mentally re-live the X launch.

; )

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Nov 3, 2016 at 7:51:38 pm

[Bill Davis] "So it's so very useful to be able to cruise around the interwebs and learn - so far in advance - just how much Apple has screwed them up.
"

Not everyone needs a hands on test drive to know something won't fit. Ex. A few years ago I was car shopping and needed something that could ideally fit 4 adults plus a carseat with enough room for some groceries, luggage, or stroller etc., in the trunk. Needless to say I didn't feel the need to test drive Boxsters and Miatas before ruling them out. ?

[Bill Davis] "On second thought - I suppose it does make me a bit all misty and nostalgic to mentally re-live the X launch."

You mean it will be pretty lightweight at launch and get a lot better a few years down the line? ? That fits in with Oliver's link to a rumor in another thread here that speculates that Apple will release a MBP as early as next year that will have 32gig of RAM and a much improved CPU.

[Tim Wilson] "-- And I have to tell you, it really steams me PERSONALLY to be accused of anti-Apple or FCPX prejudice when I have taken so much personal shit for being an Apple whore."

I wouldn't call you a whore... but you can be surprisingly bullish on Apple at times. ;)

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 3, 2016 at 8:04:43 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "I wouldn't call you a whore... but you can be surprisingly bullish on Apple at times. ;)"

And of course bear-ish. LOL I've had plenty of negative stuff to say, and will be adding some to a few of the threads underway here soon. ?

Also re: Adobe advertising, after playfully lamenting that we haven't had any Adobe advertising for months, I just got a note that they'd like to start a campaign today. LOL This has nothing to do with my article, I assure you -- if anybody there has seen it, I'd be shocked -- and everything to do with a very energetic few months of announcements and releases climaxing at MAX, which many folks here have both noted from afar and from their attendance in person as we speak.

More about the rest anon....

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 3, 2016 at 2:58:40 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Nov 3, 2016 at 3:06:44 pm

[Steve Connor] "It IS a neutral professional site and you are wrong about the Adobe bias. I count two threads showing about Adobe here, one started by me and the other a news piece on the new CC release. Everything else is discussion about FCPX 10.3 at the moment"

Well....

It's a few days after the launch of arguably the MOST significant re-design of FCP X since it was released - and the sticky threads tacked to the top of the FCP X debate forum are about ... Adobe and Microsoft.

nuff said?

This may well be a totally an automated process across all subs. And if ADOBE and Microsoft paid for forum positioning across the site - thats just business. Fair enough. But it IS an "appearance" thing that gets noticed.

FWIW.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 3, 2016 at 10:17:06 pm

[Bill Davis] "It's a few days after the launch of arguably the MOST significant re-design of FCP X since it was released - and the sticky threads tacked to the top of the FCP X debate forum are about ... Adobe and Microsoft.

nuff said?"

All of which I discussed in my first reply. I'm trying not to go through the thread and reply to each point individually, but I do hope you'll check it out. :-)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 3, 2016 at 10:30:15 pm

[Tim Wilson] "All of which I discussed in my first reply. I'm trying not to go through the thread and reply to each point individually, but I do hope you'll check it out. :-)"

As posted elsewhere - I accept the explanations you took the time to post wholeheartedly, Tim.

You can't work in this industry and not understand that sometimes, "sh** happens" is the most viable and most accurate explanation.

Back to work for me.

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Nov 3, 2016 at 4:17:33 pm

I never really pay attention to the ads. I just figure sites have to get their money somehow, and then I ignore the ads...

As for the Cow community in the FCPX threads, after the release of FCPX I noticed more and more comments and threads that focused almost exclusively on negatives. Gone were the days of speaking up about the good aspects of FCPX or hardware that Apple released. In it's places seems to be this competition like atmosphere to be the first to post about some specific way the hardware or software is lacking in a feature or usability. Yes, this is a generality, not everyone here, moderators especially, act like this. However, I've noticed that more often than not, I'm visiting the Cow because I'm curious to see what new way the community has come up with denigrate a new product or update.

*This is speaking specifically about Apple and their software and products. I rarely if ever go to the other forums.

Winston A. Cely
Editor/Owner | Della St. Media, LLC

17" MacBook Pro | 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
4 GB RAM | Final Cut Studio 3 | FCPX | Motion 5 | Compressor 4

"If you can talk brilliantly enough about a subject, you can create the consoling illusion it has been mastered." - Stanley Kubrick

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 3, 2016 at 5:49:50 pm

you people are all crazy. You think this is politics, like Hillary and Donald ? I truly think that you
are obsessing insanely about this.

I am critical of all products, and usually only post when something is wrong, or there are problems. Perhaps
you don't like that about my personality - and I am sure that companies like AJA and Blackmagic and Adobe
don't like me when I say negative things I find about their products.

But this community is APPLE driven, and our business is Apple driven, from day 1 of AVID Media Composer, and then
onto all the other apps from Media 100, FCP, Premiere, Resolve, and all the hardware peripherals that tie into Apple computers. If you have ever gone to a trade show, like the NAB show, you will see that it's ALL about Apple computers, even though Apple has decided to not participate on the show floor of NAB. EVERY DAMN MANUFACTURER shows Apple computers.

The revenue that comes into Creative Cow (and our industry) is based on Apple products, with a relatively limited focus on Windows based products. So being "prejudice" towards Apple products, or FCP-X (possibly the most popular forum on Cow, and what convinces advertisers to advertise here) is completely ridiculous. Money comes into Creative Cow because of the passion for Apple products. And competitors come here to advertise and write articles to compete with that.

I am sure that Creative Cow would LOVE for you to write a review on the new Mac Book Pro with FCP 10.3. Why don't you volunteer to do this? When I write articles for Cow, I do not charge them one penny. It's to promote what I do, and what I believe in. I was "prejudice" towards FCP-X until the release of 10.3, because now I see financial benefit for me with this specific release. And so I am no longer prejudice about it, and you will see me review products that relate to thunderbolt 3, and the new Mac Book Pro and it's use with FCP-X 10.3, because I have personal gain from this. Until I can see personal gain from this, I have no incentive to do so. Please remember that I am not an employee of Creative Cow, and do not accept any money from Creative Cow, or any other manufacturer.

So your perception of "prejudice towards FCP-X" is completely wrong. Cow would welcome your detailed review, and they would publish it. And then morons like me would try to tear it apart. And any objection of criticism towards your review would be identical to someone objecting to the political beliefs of our lovely politicians that we see every day.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 3, 2016 at 7:16:51 pm

This deserves a proper reply, and I'll give it one later today.

Super speedy:

-- It's all about timing. Apple was the lead story LAST WEEK, not THIS week. FCPX was the lead story in our newsletter last week, Adobe/Microsoft was this week, and it will somebody else next week.

You can see it for yourself at newsletters.creativecow.net, and it was also all over our social media, and yes, as was pointed out upthread, on the front page at creativecow.net, with MULTIPLE stories.

Here's a screencap of PART of what went out in the newsletter LAST WEEK, when it was NEW(s).

-- So why was some of this not stickied? Uhm, because we tend not to sticky active threads? They're already at the top of the page.

-- THAT SAID, I DID sticky Charlie's awesome blog entry, Final Cut Pro 10.3 - A First Look. Many thanks to him for agreeing to let us syndicate his blog with us back in the day.

btw, his Final Cut Pro Babbling blog at fcpxpert should totally be part of your regular rounds.

Apologies yoo for not noticing that Wordpress's RSS feed was broken, and missing some more recent entries, Charlie! I'll go back and add the missing entries by hand.

AND FOR THE REST OF YOU -- what are you doing that I can syndicate? Do you have a blog? A podcast? Lemme know! I'll post it!

-- BUT WAIT? WHY IS IT NOT AT THE TOP OF THE FORUM? Operator error. I hit the "Sticky" button for the thread that I made to announce that we'd posted Charlie's blog entry, assumed it stuck, and didn't notice that it didn't. My bad. I did it wrong.

(Technically speaking, it's not a proper thread, but an announcement of a blog entry, so I needed to have been making the changes at the SOURCE of the post. Oops.)

So, with thanks for pointing it out, and thanks to our IT director Abraham Chaffin, I fixed it. It's now stickied.

-- WHAT ABOUT THAT OTHER STUFF UP THERE? We sticky EVERY new article of general interest, and they typically go away at the end of the week that they're posted. The two that are up there now are set to go away tomorrow.

If there's a really strong objection to them there now, I can take 'em down sooner.

As others have pointed out, those articles do both reflect conversations going on in this forum. MOST of the articles we post come out of ideas from this forum.

-- Since most of you don't visit EVERY forum at the COW, you may not have noticed that this is the ONLY forum I post in. Not only do I enjoy this forum, I like X.

-- And I have to tell you, it really steams me PERSONALLY to be accused of anti-Apple or FCPX prejudice when I have taken so much personal shit for being an Apple whore. The only outrage expressed at me in well over 20 years online has been for my CONTINUED enthusiasm for Apple's initial rollout of X, as well as the decision to immediately axe Legacy development and official distribution.

(As well as my continued pointing out that YOU CAN STILL BUY IT TODAY, so dinging Apple for THAT is on YOU, not Apple.)

If you can find an earlier, more enthusiastic proponent of X in the COW's archives, I'd love to hear about it. I was there. I sure don't remember any, and I sure remember the grief I took for it.

-- btw, here's the article I wrote about WTF just a few months ago. Not the multi-part epic spectacular treatment they gave it at fcp.co, which I remain in awe of...but considering that this was just me, and my hands are generally pretty full, I think I SLAYED it. Apple FCPX and the Making Of Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

And I promo'd the shit out of it. LOL All over the site, all over the web. I'm pathetic and I need validation (obviously), but I also really hustled on it, and felt it was a nice bit of writing, on top of everything else.

-- So why no major coverage of the laptops? I TRIED. I actually started a thread INVITING people to say nice things about it. It failed. I don't take this personally, although, in my never-ending search for validation, it's hard, I admit it. LOL

Okay, the accusation that we're under the thrall of our advertisers is one I take seriously, and will address at length a bit later today. I'm happy to stand accountable...and again, I encourage you to try to find another site/publication that is more willing to stand accountable and transparent. You won't. They don't exist.

For now, I'll just say, if you can find an Adobe ad here, please let me know. LOL That will allow me to stop pestering them for advertising. LOL

Kidding aside, Adobe has obviously been a huge supporter over the years, and they'll be back, but saying that there are Adobe ads all over the COW when there haven't been any for months is -- I say gently -- an indication of how far off the beam I find the heart of that post to be.

It still merits a fuller response, which, again, I assure you I will get to in just a bit, later today.

More soon,

Tim Wilson
General Manager, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Nov 3, 2016 at 7:52:39 pm

Those with Ad Blockers would never know....

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 3, 2016 at 9:31:35 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Nov 3, 2016 at 9:33:50 pm

The only bias I detect here -- and it's very obvious -- is that in favor of Cows. What, no other livestock are capable of creativity?!? This is an egregious affront to other animals, and any thinking, caring person should not stand idly by for it!

I'd go so far as to call it bulls**t, but that implies that bulls**t is somehow worse than other type of s**t. And that would be wrong.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Nov 3, 2016 at 9:34:08 pm

[Tim Wilson] "It still merits a fuller response, which, again, I assure you I will get to in just a bit, later today."

Whoa. This was the short response? ;-)

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 3, 2016 at 10:19:50 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Nov 3, 2016 at 10:26:55 pm

I find the "it was just timing" thing to be perfectly credible.

So that's that.

Just realize that people have been dinging Apple for not updating X - relentlessly - for months. Now they did. In a HUGE way. In our community that's a VERY BIG deal.

To see it get barely a week of notice - then the top of the X forms had Adobe and MS threads tacked to the top of this place, just felt a bit weak.

In IRL terms, it's generally not that you forgot to say something nice to your wife - you hope you do that regularly.
It's that you let it appear to be that you didn't say something nice ON the actual date of your big anniversary.

That tends to get noticed more. ; )

And finally, just notice that the Adobe post SEEMED to be a pretty direct PR copypasta - with attendant hyperbolic adjectives like BREAKTHROUGH - while the X post gets the nice neutral "it's just a little FIRST LOOK here - nothing to get all that excited about" moniker. (my interp - YMMV)

Probably just my advertising brain at work here.

Back to my business now.

I'll try to keep checking in occasionally whilst I use my spoon to dig out from the avalanche of work before me.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Nov 3, 2016 at 9:37:55 pm

[Winston A. Cely] "I ignore the ads...
"

I do the opposite. I even turn on the cookies so that people selling products that I want can find me.

Return to posts index

Jari Innanen
on Nov 4, 2016 at 4:18:29 pm

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Nov 4, 2016 at 4:30:15 pm

This was the guy. Maybe a nice guy, but his presentation was awful. More about himself than the product. When he started doing this chant there were some Adobe fan-boys-girls doing it, but most around me were looking at each other like "what the hell"...

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 5, 2016 at 5:36:51 pm

He kinda reminds me of Bill Davis, but with lots more hair.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 7, 2016 at 4:01:23 am

[David Roth Weiss] "He kinda reminds me of Bill Davis, but with lots more hair."

Naw, we're different.

He's the guy pitching something he presumably has ACTUAL real life experience with - albeit perhaps a bit over-forcefully. ; )

I'm the guy watching dozens of other guys trying super hard to sour everyone on a new laptop system - that none of them have actually ever seen, or touched, much less actually cut work on.

I know ONE editor outside Apple who has actual cutting time on the new MacBook Pro with TouchBar. Report: He's enjoying the experience.

In another week or two, they start reaching actual users and we'll get some verifiable idea of how they actually work in real editing operations - and all this will move from speculation to reality-based reports.

THAT might actually be informative.

My 2 cents.

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Nov 5, 2016 at 5:20:24 pm

That video is just plain bizarre. OK, I will stay away from the Creative Cloud for a little longer.

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Nov 5, 2016 at 6:05:50 pm

I read through a lot of posts on Apple's recent release of FCPX and the new laptops. Most of the negativity seems focused on the weak points of the new lap tops. Sounds like the choices Apple made don't enhance their use for "professional" or heavy duty editing. The lack of useful ports, the dongles, the limit of 16 GB memory, short battery life all seem to work against editors. Portable and requiring a lot of dongles just seems the wrong approach. I hear you can still special order the 2016 mbp.

For me, I am hoping they make a new iMac that can do the job on a desk top.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]